1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Zilkin

Zilkin Chieftain

Did buying tiles break the don't settle near us promise?

Edit: Also do wonders count as buildings for the Windmill?

2. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

I don't think it did. IIRC, there's a separate "don't buy land near us" promise.

No.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Great Prophets will automatically spawn until you enter the Industrial Era. You cannot hoard pre-Industrial faith to spend on Great Persons post-Industrial.

If you don't want pre-Industrial GPs, you need to either (1) pick follower beliefs that will allow you to spend pre-Industrial faith on other things (e.g., Holy Warriors, religious buildings) or (2) somehow scale back your faith generation (e.g., not work faith generating tiles).

EDIT: Ninja'd by FeiLing. Should have read further into the thread before responding.

4. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

Browd, you are normally correct in these things but wouldn't turning religion to "Remind me later" stop this?

Also you could just leave a GP in your city. AFAIK they will not spawn in the city as there is no space.

5. Browd

Unfortunately, "remind me later" only works post-Industrial. And GPs will still spawn if a another GP (or civilian unit) is in the city -- gets kicked out to an adjacent tile, or will spawn in another city. Punchline is that there's no easy solution to excess faith pre-Industrial -- need to find the most attractive "faith sink" or scale back faith generation (or learn to love GPs).

6. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

I respectfully disagree about the getting kicked out bit. I have had games where I wanted a Great person to spawn and they wouldn't because I have had a great person in each city. Unfortunately I can't recall whether it was post Industrial.

However, I can recall where I have been waiting for a second Great Prophet to occur and it hasn't happened because I forgot to change the default setting from "remind me later". (Of course that may have been that even though I had a lot of faith it was not "enough" for the second Great prophet.)

Actually I am running a game now where I have my enhanced religion and will set it to "remind me later" and see what happens., rather than buying Cathedrals.

I'll let you know how I go- if you are right I'll blame you for losing the game :)

And happy to report that Browd (as usual) is correct. A Great Prophet I didn't want was born about 50 faith after the 500 thresh hold.

7. Browd

I've found pictures are often helpful. Attached are 4 screenshots (using Hammer Rabbi's ridiculous Spanish save).

As you can see, GP in the city, and civilian units (other GPs, Missionaries and workers) occupy every tile reachable by a civilian unit that spawns in the city. The first shows the situation right before a GP naturally spawns, and the second right after. As you can see, the GP still spawns in the city. It can't move to any tile unless you move another unit, but you can't hit Next Turn until you do that.

The third screenie is a couple of turns later, right before Hagia Sophia completes. Only difference from the second screenshot is that I moved a worker into the water to make room for the GP that spawned in the second screenshot. The last screenie shows the spawned GP from HS (again, he spawns in the city).

The punchline is that the game will always find a way to spawn a pre-Industrial GP, even if there is no legal move for that GP to make. Might have been different when G&K was released (can't recall), but it is definitely the case now.

Attached Files:

8. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

I haven't been through the screens yet Browd, but here is an earlier post I made on the topic. Given that it was may, things have probably changed.

Here

9. RakeWorm

RakeWorm Chieftain

Is there anything that could cause an improvement to get randomly destroyed? Saw no barbs, no notice of barbs. Just a road suddenly destroyed and a notice that I lost a trade route.

10. Priest666

Priest666 Chieftain

I've installed Brave new world and I'm using the enormous Earth map (not the original in-game one, but the custom one which supports 22 civs), but when I choose the playing civs for my game, somehow a lot of them have dissapeared from the list. For example - The Huns, Sweden, Denmark, Celts, Spain,Byzantine,Babylon and some other. What should I do, so I could choose any civ from the list?

Quite irritating when my favorite civs dissapear. Please help me out guys :/

11. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

Did you accidentally click "remove road" with one of your workers? Automated workers sometimes also do stupid things, though I've never heard of them removing roads before. And is the road actually gone, or was it pillaged? There are no random events that wash out roads that I know of, so without more info it sounds like a case of "something happened that you didn't notice at the time."

12. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

Does the custom map you're using explicitly support the DLC civs? Sounds like some weirdness with that modded map to me, and with the way Civ 5 handles custom maps and mods. Suggestions would be: 1. contact the map designer or look into updated versions; 2. make sure you're properly enabling any DLC in your setup for Civ 5 and for the game you're starting; 3. seek additional help in the creation and customization forums.

13. RakeWorm

RakeWorm Chieftain

It is actually pillaged. At first I thought there was some kind of revolt/riot mechanic with a newly annexed city or something, I don't know. I just scrolled by and noticed it smoking, and it has happened a couple times. I can't imagine how I could have just straight up not noticed a barb announcement, but I guess I must have.

14. Priest666

Priest666 Chieftain

With Gods and Kings I've used Yet Another Earth Maps Pack, but as it does not support Brave New world civilization which some I wanted to add to my game. I have found an analog on the forum Play the World Extended BNW 1.1, which works the same way with the real world map. That is - true civilization locations, true resource locations and other stuff like that.

I have checked is there anything wrond=g with all the options ,but its ok. All the DLC,Mode, map option stuff is all turn on. But still I don't have my favorite civs ;/

15. catweazle

catweazle Chieftain

Hello, I'm playing G&K a lot, mostly I aim for a domination victory on King level (once and awhile even Emperor) and I was wondering what I should change in playing style when I upgrade to BNW?
    I usually use the 4 cities/tradition opening.

16. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

I keep reading about these/this TSL map. Sounds like some cool fun is being had and I'm missing out. What is a TSL map and how do I get my hands on one?

17. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

If you Google TSL map it comes up with this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=501240

18. Qoma

Qoma Chieftain

Here's an interesting one... if you have no religion of your own, and conquer a civ's capital / holy city before they have enhanced their religion, can you generate a prophet in their holy city and enhance it yourself, essentially taking over their religion? Or can only the founding civ enhance their own religion?

19. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

I seem to remember getting a GP in a enemy capital I captured, it was their faith as well.

20. Maractass

Maractass Chieftain

Hi, I wanted to know how much culture would be needed to adopt every social policy in an empire with only one city? I'm thinking of trying a run where I adopt every policy at turn 1 and see how quickly I can beat the game.