Quick Questions and Answers

I'm looking for a guide to the diplomacy or united nations victory. I've searched the forums and have not been able to get any good results for it. Thank you in advance!

Is there any way to delete an entry from your hall of fame? I know you can delete the replay files - that is different.

I'm looking for a guide to the diplomacy or united nations victory. I've searched the forums and have not been able to get any good results for it. Thank you in advance!

Diplomacy isn't really understood at the moment as most think the AI is sporadic with it. As for a UN victory: There must be enough city-states alive, and you have to have as many as needed for allies. If they are captured, you must liberate enough.

"Diplomacy isn't really understood at the moment as most think the AI is sporadic with it. As for a UN victory: There must be enough city-states alive, and you have to have as many as needed for allies. If they are captured, you must liberate enough."

Ok, I am extremely new to the game and didn't feel like I was having much luck with the UN victory. My strategy was to move down the tech tree as fast as I could along with not pissing anyone off. I would take gold and buy influence when I could as well. I only built about 2 military units the entire game and was simply focusing on buildings and policies. I found myself in 1700 AD still very, very far from the United Nations research item in the tree and it feels like I am doing something very wrong.

If anybody has quick outline for it that would be wonderful. I'm looking for a guideline and what I should be focusing on.

Thanks again.

So Elizabeth and I did not get along, and war started. about 60 turns later we declared peace, and a treaty was made. Now, well over 100 turns later, this little popup on the right side at the beginning of every turn saying "The peace treaty between you and Elizabeth has expired. Either civ can declare war on the other" or something along those lines. It will not go away. Even after Elizabeth and I have been cool for a long time. We have open borders and everything. Why is it doing this and/or how can I stop it from doing it?

The only way I ever got rid of it was declaring war and eliminating my opponent. otherwise you can wait it out and hopefully it'll stop. I lost patience after about 30 turns.

btw, this seems a bug and has been around a while.

Yes it is a notification bug, the same exists for resources... getting a message like "a deal where you provided iron to bismak has expired", and if you are not careful you can keep trading the same iron and it keeps expiring and giving you more... o.O

"Diplomacy isn't really understood at the moment as most think the AI is sporadic with it. As for a UN victory: There must be enough city-states alive, and you have to have as many as needed for allies. If they are captured, you must liberate enough."

Ok, I am extremely new to the game and didn't feel like I was having much luck with the UN victory. My strategy was to move down the tech tree as fast as I could along with not pissing anyone off. I would take gold and buy influence when I could as well. I only built about 2 military units the entire game and was simply focusing on buildings and policies. I found myself in 1700 AD still very, very far from the United Nations research item in the tree and it feels like I am doing something very wrong.

If anybody has quick outline for it that would be wonderful. I'm looking for a guideline and what I should be focusing on.

Thanks again.

All that matters for a Diplomatic Victory is reach Globalization and building the UN. You have to reach that point. Once the vote happens, City-States will vote first for any Civ that liberated them, then the Civ they are allies with currently if no one had liberated them. If you look at the Victory Progress screen, it shows all the votes and who is voting for who.

Hi I bought a copy of civ V and love it so far the only prob I have is that When I reach modern era,and I conquer some cities I reach a point where the game just stop working and closes on me. I went to the store to change copy of the DVD and same thing happen with the new copy. Do you know if its a bug within the game? It's starting to get really annoying any come back would be really appreciated

Gillis: That sounds like it's some hardware or software issue with your system. Is there any definite point that it happens at, like when you research a particular technology? Does your system start to slow down or something? If you load a save, will it crash near the same time each time?

I may need to post a thread for this, but my question is:

Does anyone have transcripts of the dialogue the leaders use? Obviously, they're all speaking their native languages, but they all are saying some quite different things. It would be interesting to see what they are all saying.

I took six years of Classical Latin (Roman Latin, as opposed to Ecclesiastical Latin which is Church Latin), and a few years of French and Spanish, so I can compare some of what, for instance, Napoleon and Caesar Augustus say to Elizabeth and George Washington's lines.

Is there any way to delete an entry from your hall of fame? I know you can delete the replay files - that is different.

Yep, I had a duplicate in mine as well after re-watching a science win to try and get a glimpse of the rocket.

The file you need is x:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Replays\HallOfFameDatabase.db (the path will be different if you aren't using XP, but I'm sure you can figure that out)

Open up that file with an sqlite database editor and just delete the duplicate entries. I used this one :http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html the personal version is free. When you open up the file it's pretty easy to see what you need to delete, back up the file before hand though, of course.

I found all this information using google from an obscure forum board, but I haven't got a link handy, it's pretty easy to sort out though. Have fun :)

Can culture claim enemy territory, as in CivIV, where the civ with the most culture in a particular hex (square) would claim the area?
Or is the only way to infringe upon enemy territory culturally by culture bombing?

Can culture claim enemy territory, as in CivIV, where the civ with the most culture in a particular hex (square) would claim the area?
Or is the only way to infringe upon enemy territory culturally by culture bombing?

Just culture bombing. There's no cultural mixing and tile flipping for bordering cities, although they do of course compete for who gets the tiles first (by buying land or just having culture claim them faster). Once a tile is owned it's a binary value- you can flip tiles with culture bombs, but there is no other way short of razing the cities to turn the tiles back to neutral, unowned hexes.

Does anyone have transcripts of the dialogue the leaders use? Obviously, they're all speaking their native languages, but they all are saying some quite different things. It would be interesting to see what they are all saying.

I guess you'll just have to take some Aztec classes.

Just culture bombing. There's no cultural mixing and tile flipping for bordering cities, although they do of course compete for who gets the tiles first (by buying land or just having culture claim them faster). Once a tile is owned it's a binary value- you can flip tiles with culture bombs, but there is no other way short of razing the cities to turn the tiles back to neutral, unowned hexes.

Cool. Thanks for the swift reply.

Cool. Thanks for the swift reply.

No worries. Just to add on, though I'm sure you probably already know, when you occupy a city you also keep all of it's claimed tiles, so that's an option too if you don't mind puppeting or eating the unhappiness until a courthouse goes down. It's just when a town is razed that all of those tiles claimed by a city go back to being neutral territory.

Now that we're at it: How would it work when I liberate a CS? Would borders revert to their original CS spread? Or will it retain the borders of the previous puppeteer/owner?

Now that we're at it: How would it work when I liberate a CS? Would borders revert to their original CS spread? Or will it retain the borders of the previous puppeteer/owner?

I'm pretty sure that the claimed tiles are linked to each individual city, rather than any current owner, so if a cities borders have expanded while it was occupied/puppeted those tiles should revert back to the city state. I can't say for 100 percent certainty since I haven't deliberated tested this, but I'm sure this is how the culture system works for all cities.

You can change the tiles neighbouring cities work if they are close enough, but the tiles claimed 'belong' to the city that claimed them, and so are lost if that city is destroyed.

Is there some reason that longbowmen can't capture a city? I know they are ranged units, but that seems a little ridiculous. I've been "attacking" the same city for ages, and it only ever shoots at them without actually entering. (I'm right-clicking, not hitting "b").

Top Bottom