Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Warlord

You don't attach him.
    The bonus is passively given to any unit within two hexes, both when attacking and defending. That even counts when you're attacking from the second hex into a third hex, ie. into a hex outside the GGs radius.

2. thelibra

thelibra Future World Dictator

Wow, that's pretty good. What's the bonus?

3. marekb

marekb Warlord

If I remember well +25% (+45% for Chinese) combat strength.

4. Aless133

Aless133 Chieftain

sorry, it's for civ4

5. DrakenKin

DrakenKin Prince

Question : Is there a reference for the unit upgrades tree (through experience)? I'd like to see what unlocks what.

Something like : +20% in rough Terran (1) -> 20% in rough terrain (2) -> Blitz -> ??

6. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Chieftain

In game there is a HELP button in the upper passenger-side corner. Click that to open the Civlopedia. There is a section for Unit Promotions, which lists all of the Promotions, their effects and requirements.

7. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

1) As others have stated you get the 25% bonus just from him being around

2) If your small, and lower Tech and already have another GG then sometimes it is necessary to plop a GG as a citadel. Helped me in a pinch but then it just sat there waiting the next attack that never came as I was too timid to build over it.

8. Waterboy44

Waterboy44 Chieftain

Hello,

I was wondering where the retire option is(as in Civ 4) so you can quit a game you are losing, but get a score and ranking on your machine.

Help.

Thanks

9. BlindDefender

BlindDefender Chieftain

To keep enough money, I firstly try not to build things not needed, especially roads.
    After conquering new territories, be sure to take some workers and remove any obsolete roads as they cost money to maintain when in your territory. While not building extra roads, make sure all your cities are connected. (trade routes)

Make SURE you only keep the number of units needed for your immediate objectives. This is HUGE! In Civ 5, you don't need many units and the cost of keeping a large force really adds up. Don't be afraid to delete obsolete units or better yet, gift them to your enemy's neighboring City-States; I have seen a Militaristic City-Sate take over enemy AI cities for me using units I provided.

You can trade resources, sell open border agreements, build trading posts, build wonders, and Social Polices too. Once you have some income, then build the multiplier buildings.

Settling near and mining Gold/Silver tiles is a good source of income too.

If you consult the economic adviser, she will tell you what your largest expense is an suggest ways to conserve capital.

Peace

10. DrakenKin

DrakenKin Prince

Making coastal cities and building harbors in them is also a huge source of income, especially since you don't even have to add cost for roads.

11. Salarakas

Salarakas Prince

I haven't been reading the forums much but I keep seeing the term 'ICS' mentioned occasionally. What is it short for?

Edit: nevermind, I found the answer. Infinite city sprawl.

12. Gillis

Gillis Chieftain

That sounds like it's some hardware or software issue with your system. Is there any definite point that it happens at, like when you research a particular technology? Does your system start to slow down or something? If you load a save, will it crash near the same time each time?

thanks Licinia Edoxia for taking the time to answer. It happen at random. I reboot the game and try a different outcome and, how can I explain , let say I conquer a certain city and the game crashes, I reload the game and then I'm able to conquer that particular city but then, I try to conquer another one and it crashes again. I have the minimum requirement for the game . The system is not that slow but I'm starting to think that maybe that is the problem. When you get far in the game the memory stat to get loaded and it crashes. I will try to install the game on a newer computer and see if it does the same. I will let you know how it turns out.

13. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

Question:
    I bought CiV in pre order at Amazon UK.
    So i get the code for Cradle of Civilization or something like that.
    I inserted in on Steam (can't remember how, but i did) and later i've seem a message of completed download.
    But i can't do nothing. I can't see where it is, provided there's something, i can't do nothing and i have nothing but the base Civs on my game setup.

What have i to do?

14. marekb

marekb Warlord

You should look for "Asia" map in map settings. If I remember well Amazon gives only Asia map

15. Destrucity

Destrucity Chieftain

I checked civtopia and read the manual, I can't find the answer to this question anywhere.

If you check the military overview screen it mentions supply status. Every unit takes up a supply it seems. What is this supply limit, and what happens if I go over it?

16. Lord Monkey

Lord Monkey Chieftain

Some units require strategic resources to build. Horsemen need horses. You have a finite number of strategic resources, and when you've used them (by building units that require them) you can't build any more resource-needing units until you get your hands on more.

17. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

And should you build units with resources you've received via trade, when the trade ends you may be at a resource deficit -- you will simply see a negative number by the resource. You will need to recover that deficit +1 to build more units or buildings that require that resource.

18. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson King

First off, way too many pronouns.

So you had civ V beforehand and Cradle seperatly afterwards? doesn't sound right.

When I bought my copy off steam, the cradle of civilization downloaded some time later. I've never tried to use it yet, but unless your notice said download complete for cradle of civilization, then it hasn't done so yet. I don''t know how to force it yet. So you may just have to wait it out, or look for an option in steam to do this.

If you can't even find Civ V to start up and play, there is an option in steam to place shortcuts on your desktop.

Start up steam

Hover the mouse over "Games" and select "View Games Library"
    Right click "Sid Meier's Civilization V" and select "Create Desktop Shortcut"

OR:

Manually create your own from your civ folder from windows.

Go to this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

Then right click either CivilizationV or CivilizationV_DX11 and hover over,"Send To" and left click, "Desktop" and it'll create a desktop shortcut for you.

To answer the OP question, when you have too many units, you'll get a warning saying so, and it will say your units are now weaker.

I had this happen when attacking Elizabeth, and a stupid barb destroyed my iron mine and Elizabeth destroyed all of my iron units on a single turn.

I was very non-plussed with the situation. but luckily I recovered just fine.

19. kataran

kataran Chieftain

My first post, and a couple quick questions:

1a) Is there any benefit to capturing a city state other than to appease some other city states request? They seem more valuable as allies with their benefits rather than as some puppet state to me, am I doing anything wrong? Do you get the benefits they offer as allies if you capture them or something?
    1b) Declaring that you will protect a city state - whats the point? It doesn't seem to increase their happiness with them, is it just to warn other civ's not to mess with them? If so, has this protection notice proved useful in anyone's game here?

Great Scientist use. I settled 4 or so in the last game and am now thinking it is a waste as the last turn in nearly all of research targets had a huge beacker overflow - if these beakers are lost then I may as well just used them on the spot. I also tried slingshotting to a tech in another age once (I had all the prerequisites) yet I was not able to choose the tech.. so..

2a) Is there beaker overflow in the game??
    2b) Is there some kind of a restriction to using your GS in a current age tech?

Domination victory. On a standard map size with standard time, I have yet to see the Industrial Age before these wins on King. This last game was odd, I had all the capitals but 2, Monte's and Siam's. Monte was left, but his original capital was under China's control. China was left, I had her capital. Lastly, Siam was left with his original capital as well. So only Siam had his original capital. Monte asks me to declare war on siam and I tell him 10 turns. 10 turns come, I declare war, Monte takes Siam's capital and then the game is immediately over - I won by domination??

3a) How does a domination victory work? I read somewhere in the game that it requires every civilization to have lost their original capital city - but it never explicitely said to one civilization (which is what I thought it was, and always played as such). This would make sense of this weird win; Monte had no original capital but he had Siam's, China had no orignal Capital but she had Monte's, Siam had just lost his capital and I had all the rest.
    3b) Does domination get tougher past King? I'll find out soon as I need a challenge, but curious as to what I can expect.

4) In the upcoming patch notes it says we can sell off obsolete buildings. Since I have never seen the industrial age, am just curious as to what buildings become obsolete with age? Just stables?

5) Trade route yield, is the income based on distance from capital, or the cities own wealth, or the cities size, or..?

20. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Chieftain

3) Domination victory is achieved when only one 1 player retains their capital. It doesn't matter who has taken who's capital. You can win a Domination victory without even participating in offensive wars. If you're the only Civ to have their original capital, you win.

4) I don't think it means obsolete in that meaning. I think it means you can just sell whatever buildings you no longer want to have.

5) Trade route yield is based on amount of cities connected. That's all.