1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. DrakenKin

DrakenKin Chieftain

No they don't upgrade to anything.

Here's the upgrade table :

2. Calculating

Calculating Chieftain

Too bad.. Because I've googled it, and it said that in CIV 4 you could load up your game in the game builder as a scenario, and then change the difficulty to a desired level.

I'm a fairly new player to the CIV games, but I find the warlord difficulty too boring to play.. Should I switch to 4/8 in difficulty ( prince ), or even higher?

3. DrakenKin

DrakenKin Chieftain

I would start playing on king and only back to prince if you find it too hard.

4. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson Chieftain

I read that Prince is an even game. The AI has no advantages or disadvantages over human players. I am playing it now and it is too easy and boring. The only real difference I can see is the cost of everything is so high I have to play slow and have a lot of waiting.

I got so bored I started warring and the AIs are stupid and I steam roll over them with no effort. If they are already at war, then it is so boring as they have no defenses left. Even starting a war is cake as they usually only have a defender or two and it takes them a long time to get reinforcements up.

If they manage to get enough reinforcements, I find attack then retreat wounded units before they die, so take a couple extra. The AI doesn't even try to kill 1 unit. it spreads its attack over several different units allowing you to retreat with ease to heal up without a single loss.

Maybe skip two levels at a time and see how it goes.

5. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

Thanks for the upgrade table, Sarassin. I needed that. Now I just need the buldings and promotions upgrade/pre-requisite tables... :)
    Funny how the lancers are completely out of the equation.

6. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

In the city screen, some tiles have a purple line around them. Why?

7. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson Chieftain

I think those are the ones the computer is thinking about expanding to. They're usually cheaper as well.

8. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

I would like to mention that I had a horseman out searching for Ruins. By taking city ruins, my horseman got upgraded to a cavalry, and then as a cavalry got upgraded to a mechanized infantry after the next city ruins. Perhaps something weird with city ruins. Or else its a glitch that hopefully is getting/has been patched out.

9. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

For road maintenance, do you pay one gold per turn for each tile of road you've built?

Also, is it possible to set a city to build nothing? Sometimes I can't afford new units or buildings!

10. dfn

dfn Chieftain

Yes.

AFAIK, it is not possible to set a city to build nothing. Build a unit then sell that unit (this is better than producing wealth).

11. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Then I think i'm paying more money in road maintenance than what i'm getting in trade routes income.

12. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

The "city ruins upgrade" is not a bug and supercedes the upgrade tree. The most common one is scout -> archer.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383522

It should probably still be removed, as it allows you to get mech inf 3000 BC.

13. ChaosPearl

ChaosPearl Chieftain

Somebody asked this once already, but it was never answered: are achievements disabled if you're running mods, i.e. if you begin a game from the mod options menu? I was just looking over the achievements list and noticed that there are at least a dozen if not more achievements listed as "locked" that I've definitely achieved, often more than once. The only reason I can think for that is because I sometimes use mods and it's possible I completed the locked achievements during a modded game. Then again, some of the achievements seem to be ABOUT mod use, so... what gives?

14. CaptainJewbeard

CaptainJewbeard Chieftain

I think the first question may have been earlier in the discussion, but I couldn't find it:

AI Peace Concessions
    1) Are the concessions that AI will make to you based on difficulty level? On Prince, I went after Bismarck, took like 2 of his 11 cities and killed some of his units, and expected a quick payoff. He only offered peace for peace (when he came to me to ask), so I refused. I kept whipping him, he never offered any sweetener. On lower difficulty levels, that same general tactic would usually net me 4-5 cities and a couple of hundred gold. What's up there?

Broken Trade Routes
    2) Occasionally it will say that one of my trade routes is broken. This can be whether it's a route by road, or by harbor. I don't -think- any barbarians are in the way, so why would they just randomly break? And how can I restore them?

15. Xger

Xger Chieftain

You can push shift+enter to make a city not build anything. However, just build workers, and disband them as soon as they complete, they give ~25 gold when you disband them
    A general rule of thumb: If it takes more road tiles than a city has population to make a trade route, it will lose money. (The exact number is 1.25 road tiles per population point to break even)

@ the broken trade route: It could be a number of things. If one hex of a road comes into the cultural boundaries of a city state or a civ, and you aren't allies or don't have open borders, it'll break. If you have a harbor link, and an enemy military ship comes near the city, it's blocked. It's also possible that you are getting a UI bug on the report. If you are unsure, look under your cities for the trade route symbol

16. CaptainJewbeard

CaptainJewbeard Chieftain

Thanks Xger!

17. larson_boy

larson_boy Chieftain

What are the limitations when purchasing tiles ? Why can't I buy some of them, even if I have enough gold and the adjacent tiles are mine already ? Does the distance to the town count in this case ?

18. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Which techs will advance you to the next Age?
    (I want to get to Industrial Age before using my social policies... so I can use them on Order). I thought Sci Method would do it... but I guess it must be Biology?

Why isn't the information provided in the interface? something like a "will also advance you to the Industrial Age" would be nice. (Or is it, and I'm just not looking in the right place?)

19. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Chieftain

Just hit F6, it will open Tech Tree. On top you'll see frames for each Era, dividing all the techs vertically. From that it's really simple to see which techs are advancing you to next Era.

20. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

In my experience you can't buy tiles outside of the 37 workable tiles, even if the city expands culturally into those tiles eventually.