Quick Questions and Answers

I don’t know about marsh or jungle, but if you are not at war, you cannot put a citadel on forest (in foreign territory). The Oasis limitation is a good catch.

Got it,...Basically a Citadel chops down a forest and places the Citadel in one step,...so if your normally (worker) not allowed to chop down the forest within a CS's borders then first step of the process is unattainable - Makes sense!

I don’t know about marsh or jungle, but if you are not at war, you cannot put a citadel on forest (in foreign territory). The Oasis limitation is a good catch.

Forget the forest issue. Your GG needs to on your borders. So buy the tile the GG is on now then try planting where you want? But what does it get you? Your screenshot is kind of small, but I am not seeing a lux or resources? GG are rare and valuable. Why are you planting?

Playing a Warlord HOF Game, and trying to get a Diplo around 200ish, So QUICK quality tiles is important and GGs are not as valuable when pounding the A1 at lower levels.

Although I don't have money in that screenshot...it is readily available (So I can buy tiles - just not those tiles),...This is actually one my favorite strategies for lower level HOF games,....Limited workers?, Time needed to improve? Want to pay less Maintenance for units?,....Quick way to get things moving - Steal tiles already improved! (Camps in this situation - Happiness/Resources is not critical - Growth is!)

You can plant a Citadel on CS tiles (Even right next to the city),.....I do it all the time! But I do believe the forest is restricting me in this situation.

The Image is larger now - #5681 updated

-

The Great General can place a citadel on a tile which is adjacent and not necessarily in your borders.

I have a problem in my current game. I just conquered Kyoto which has whales and pearls as luxuries, but I didn't get them. Tried to build a courthouse, connect the city with a road, send trade caravan... nothing. I can't even build a working boat (still, those luxuries are already worked by them). Is this some kind of a bug or I didn't do something to get them?

Sorry for Polish language. Can't really post a save file since I am playing with a few mods (Communitas map script + 3 custom Civs). I don't have Courthouse on this screenshot (but tried to build it and nothing changed) since I've reloaded the earlier save file

Screenshot

Edit: Okay, nevermind. I didn't need Sailing before taking Kyoto so I don't even have it. Eh, I guess I am too tired. :D

You are free to contact the mod's author to ask him to upload his mod to this site, but no one should be uploading copyrighted material of third parties to this site.

All you have to do is subscribe to that mod in Steam. It will download automatically to your computer.

I know that... xD But what do you think, why do I didn't done that jet? xD
And the author of the mod doesn't want to upload somewhere else the mod, as I could see in the comment section.
Please, upload the mod here or make a mod like that. :)

There are only two reasons I can think why you can't download the mod from Steam.

The first is that you have a problem with your Steam installation, in which case contacting Steam support should be your next step.

The second is that you are playing a pirated version of Civ V. If that is the case, you will receive no help from this site. We have a strict anti-piracy policy.

How the hell do I play on Immortal, let alone deity? I just tried a cultural game on immortal with France (inspired by another thread I made) and it's just not working out for me. I think I'm playing everything right but I never have the production to finish key (read: theming) wonders in time, I never have enough science to keep up wtih everyone and never have enough gold. I lack everything.

What I do is usually the following:
1. Tradition, of course (then aesthetics, then exploration opener for Louvre)
2. Build scout, scout, shrine, then rush Stonehenge (for the early faith and great engineer points)
3. Get 3 new cities up ASAP
4. Beeline techs to get Sistene Chapel
5. Finish it with the Great Engineer generated by Stonehenge

Yet somehow it's not enough. I was able to get the Sistene Chapel, Broadway, Oxford and the hermitage and that's it. All other theming wonders were constructed earlier by my greatest cultural rival Brazil, who had about twice my tourism at any given time.

Although not always necessary, culture games at higher difficulty levels will often require a bit of warmongering (it's not like France, in real life, filled the Louvre with art they bought at yard sales -- there's a fair bit of looted art and artifacts in French museums, and the same goes for the British Museum and quite a few others). Also, you don't mention Rationalism or your Ideology -- winning a culture game is as much about researching your way to key culture technologies as it is pushing culture itself.

I think you are overemphasizing the two wonders you mention. You are just as likely to lose Stonehenge as get it at Immortal (and get it even less often at Diety) -- religion is helpful, but losing both Stonehenge and a religion is a poor trade. And if you are building Stonehenge, why bother with an early shrine? Skip Stonehenge and pop out a city or three instead, and (if you really want a religion) build a shrine or two in those cities.

Sistine Chapel is OK (better for France than for most civs), but beelining Acoustics is as important for early Rationalism as it is for SC and burning a GE on SC is, in my view, a poor choice. If you have a spare GE, bulb Pisa, for faster GWAMs (and other Great Persons).

You might review this thread -- both the OP and the responses provide good perspective on culture victories at high levels.

And, as you can tell, this isn't a quick question with a quick answer, so I would suggest continuing this in a thread for this purpose.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I think I'll be able to give it another go with that.
Just one last quick question: Byzantium, is it viable at Immortal+? It's only real advantage is that it can get another religious doctrine compared to other Civs, which can get quite powerful if you know what you're doing. The problem is that on Immortal + most of the good religious doctrines are taken pretty early.

That's the issue with Byz. Viable, yes, but not as OP as it can be at lower levels. It can help to play on smaller maps, where there are fewer religions and therefore less competition for specific beliefs.

In Civ4 you could place a map marker/sign by using ALT+S, or place a landmark through the world builder. Is there any such feature in Civ5?

So what exactly are cavalry and spear infantry good for in Civ V? The way I see it, they're inferior to artillery and infantry.

Cavalry is fast and often quite strong, but they also have penalties against both cities and certain enemy units. The penalty is not worth the bonus, unless you have very specific UUs like the Arabian Camel Archer or the Mongolian Keshik (who bypass any penalties through ranged attacks). Unless you have one of those UUs, you're better off pumping out infantry. Cavalry only becomes worth the effort once the upgrade to tanks and lose the city attack penalty.

Spear infantry is pretty decent in the first two tiers. After that it upgrades to the less useful but still situationally powerful lancers. But after that the real problem comes: they upgrade to anti-tank guns (which you have no reason to keep around really) and after that helicopter gunships (they're somewhat decent, but simply cannot attack cities. They have the same problem as cavalry at this point, but magnified because at least cavalry CAN attack a city). Maybe if the lancer upgraded to tanks, I could see their usefulness.

So yeah, why go for the spear-infantry line or cavalry when good ol' sword infantry and artillery get the job done, and much better too? The weakness of the spear infantry line is what turns me off Persia, which has an amazing spearman replacement, which will become incredibly useless because it upgrades to useless units.

How many followers from a foreign religion does your city need to have for you to purchase their stuff? In this game I got the 3rd religion, I think, and all the buildings where gone by then. Later on I captured 2 missionaries from a religion that has Mosques which would benefit me a lot since I have tons of wine but, when I expended them on my cities I didn't have the option to buy Mosques? I'm almost certain I've been able to buy foreign stuff before so I don't know what's going on there... Anyone know?

So yeah, why go for the spear-infantry line or cavalry when good ol' sword infantry and artillery get the job done, and much better too? The weakness of the spear infantry line is what turns me off Persia, which has an amazing spearman replacement, which will become incredibly useless because it upgrades to useless units.
Well, the reason you build them is because tech-wise (Civil Service), Pikemen are the most efficient units to build if you are, for example, fending off an attack. So what if they'll upgrade to crappy Lancers, they're the best you've got at that point, in many situations you haven't even researched Bronze Working by then. If you are going on the offensive then yes, you are better off building Swordsmen, etc. But, cavalry units (Horsemen/Knights/Cavalry) are incredibly useful and powerful on Domination, their extra movement as well as their CS make them great units for early/mid-game wars.

Top Bottom