1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Drat and bother. I guess Soviet Russia will have to tweak its current Foreign Policy.

What about City-States conquering cities? I've seen this in one of my 'Winter is Coming' games. Is it possible in the BNW standard game? If I gift Mogadishu 20 tanks, can they take a city?

2. psparky

psparky Prince

I think you can gift an aircraft to a CS using the dialogue if it's the only unit in a city (I think I've done it). However it's possible it just disappeared and I didn't notice.

3. beetle

beetle Deity

Yes, but it will take them about that much support!
    Thanks, I will have to try that. That won't work for gifting to an AI (obviously).

4. beetle

beetle Deity

I just tried this. Yes, I could donate the triplane (it was the only unit in my city). Three turns later I got the 5 points of influence. But the triplane did not show up in the CS.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The CS probably deleted it the moment it arrived.

6. phryxolydian

phryxolydian Warlord

No, sadly. He just peaced out with Mongolia so I'm making some units, pretty sure his coming for me. :coffee:

Spoiler :

7. Iamteehee

Iamteehee I only play SV

Can AI delete units? I have never seen it done, even if the AI is at like -500 gpt.

8. Browd

They delete gifted units all the time.

9. psparky

psparky Prince

If a civ you have not met gets eliminated, can you tell?

10. beetle

beetle Deity

You will get a notification that an unmet civ has lost their capital. That early in the game, probably it means the unmet civ is gone. Or will be gone by the time you meet the AI that killed them off.
    Once the WC is founded, you will be able to tell that an AI is missing.
    Once you find their old capital, you should be able to tell what civ it was.

11. mrddt

mrddt Chieftain

Can I raze captured city-state? Thank you!

12. Browd

No. CSs cannot be razed. Original capitals and holy cities (as long as it remains a holy city) also cannot be razed.

13. psparky

psparky Prince

Thanks for the answer to my last question Beetle.

I'm building Globe Theatre and so is Ethiopia. I sent a spy and I see that, as it stands, we will both finish in 5 turns. Am I correct in thinking they will get it as it is their turn next? If so, should I abandon the attempt to build it?

BTW, I don't think there is any way to knock off a turn from my build. Bit annoying as we both got printing press on the same turn and have similar production, but their discount (455 vs 500 at emperor) gives them the advantage.

Thanks in advance.

14. Browd

They probably will get it, as they haven't taken their "turn" when you had your spies take a look. In Civ V, the human player always goes first on a given turn, but the AI's construction progress (on buildings, wonders, units) is not updated until the AI has the opportunity to make decisions on that turn (i.e., when it's the AI's "turn" on that "turn"). So, if you are showing 5 turns to completion and the AI is also showing 5 turns, the AI's progress will update to 4 turns when their opportunity to make decisions comes around on this turn.

You could try bribing someone to DOW Ethiopia -- that might cause them to switch away from Globe Theater to produce units.

vyyt likes this.
  15. psparky

psparky Prince

Great suggestion thanks! I tried it and they switched production to... a cargo ship :mischief:

16. Browd

Undoubtedly a heavily armed cargo ship....

vyyt and phryxolydian like this.
  17. t0ss

t0ss Chieftain

Where do unit mods go? I tried in the MODS folder but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I play with a Mac app store BNW and am trying to use unit packs by danrell.

18. Sarin

Sarin King

Might be a stupid question, but are you actually playing through mods menu? You can't just click Single Player from main menu, you have to choose Mods, select which mods you want from menu, Next-> Single Player.

19. beetle

beetle Deity

I don’t think some of my built-in map scripts are running correctly. I suspect that one of my downloaded maps (HB, Terra Incognito) is interfering.

I think there there is something like a “verify assets” command someplace. Where is that?
    Or am I likely to have better luck just deleting the maps scripts I have downloaded.

20. t0ss

t0ss Chieftain

A legit question. I have enabled MODS and am able to run via MODS button any mod I might put into the MODS folder, except for units. I never see them in the MODS menu "No Mods Installed" although they're in the MODS folder. My test files have been 'ancient unit pack Rome', 'battle galley', and 'Songhai unit pack'.