Quick Questions and Answers

I got this email from Information Week, and immediately thought ...
"wait, I though tech trading was not allowed in Civ V ..."

Attachments

• civ_email.jpg
    civ_email.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 178
Hi,

Is it possible to manipulate where you and the AI start off? I'd like to play a game on an earth map with two civs on their respective continents as teams, e.g. Team Europe (England + Greece) vs. Team America (Iroquois + Inca) vs. ..., but all civs appear randomly on the earth.

Sorry if it has already been answered, this is my first post :)

Hi,

Is it possible to manipulate where you and the AI start off? I'd like to play a game on an earth map with two civs on their respective continents as teams, e.g. Team Europe (England + Greece) vs. Team America (Iroquois + Inca) vs. ..., but all civs appear randomly on the earth.

Sorry if it has already been answered, this is my first post :)

Not possible without a mod. There are a few "true start location" aka TSL maps people have made to choose from. Take a look at the custom maps forum for details.

Quick Questions:

I thought the City State quest for building a road between there city and your capital was fixed in a recent patch. Is this not the case, or is just my game still broken?

And same with the Machu Picchu wonder - I was recently out gunned for this wonder by a few turns by a rival civ. I was so mad, I DOW on him, and eventually took over every one of his cities... and I cannot find the Machu Picchu wonder. I checked through logs etc, and this Civ was never at war with anyone else, and there is nothing to suggest he lost any other cities besides to me. Is this STILL broken?!

Quick Questions:

I thought the City State quest for building a road between there city and your capital was fixed in a recent patch. Is this not the case, or is just my game still broken?

Appears to still be broken. Sometimes I'm able to complete it, sometimes not, as far as I can tell.

And same with the Machu Picchu wonder - I was recently out gunned for this wonder by a few turns by a rival civ. I was so mad, I DOW on him, and eventually took over every one of his cities... and I cannot find the Machu Picchu wonder. I checked through logs etc, and this Civ was never at war with anyone else, and there is nothing to suggest he lost any other cities besides to me. Is this STILL broken?!

Wouldn't surprise me, but as far as I can tell from the XML, it should work. Sure would be nice to have a list of wonder locations though. You can check the diplomacy overview, which at least shows which civs control which wonders, to make sure no one else captured it somehow.

You can check the diplomacy overview, which at least shows which civs control which wonders, to make sure no one else captured it somehow.

Try searching graphically. I just zoom in on the suspected cities to see which has the wonder I'm looking for. I think this only works if you've had line-of-sight visibiilty from a nearby unit to the city at some point after the wonder was built, though.

I am wondering, do you get the benefits of a wonder that has been built by one of your (AI) team mates (not just ally/DoF, I mean teams you choose at the game set up)? Because you can't start building one after someone in your team has started constructing it (but still did not finish it) (greyed out with "Only one wonder allowed"). I have never noticed that effect to be present, so I think it's silly that you can't construct the wonder if you are ten times faster (often the AI needs 100+ turns to finish one :sad:).

This seems like a really silly question and I am sure it has been answered somewhere else, but how do you run a mod? I downloaded and installed an appearance changing mod from inside the game just to see how it looks. Now what do I do? I tried clicking "mods" from the starting menu and then clicking "single player" and starting a game but it didn't seem to have made any changes.

This seems like a really silly question and I am sure it has been answered somewhere else, but how do you run a mod? I downloaded and installed an appearance changing mod from inside the game just to see how it looks. Now what do I do? I tried clicking "mods" from the starting menu and then clicking "single player" and starting a game but it didn't seem to have made any changes.

After installing the mod, you still have to enable it. Go to Mods-->Browse Mods, on the installed tab you should see a list of all installed mods. Check the circle for each mod you want active, then start a new single player game from the mods menu, as you describe above.

Ok further follow up question: is it true that playing a game with a mod running will somehow prevent you from getting Steam achievements?

That's right. Steam achievements don't unlock if you're playing a mod, even if the mod has no effect on gameplay rules.

Ok further follow up question: is it true that playing a game with a mod running will somehow prevent you from getting Steam achievements?

If your mod is compatible with vanilla save games, you can play though most of the game with your mod, then load the save game in vanilla just before the end, to at least get the "win with X leader" Steam achievements. It won't track things like "Kill 365 naval units as England" or "build one of each unit type" unless those events happen while running as a vanilla game, but it works for some achievements, at least. If you add new civs, or other changes that make saves incompatible, this will not work.

Is it possible to see a breakdown of happiness/unhappiness per city? I find where I can see how much each city contributes to empire unhappiness, but it would be nice to see which cities don't have enough buildings to counter this unhappiness.

Is there a guide I can read about social policies? These are very different from civics and look very complicated. Basically I'm clueless on where to start with all the social policy options available in the game. Can you only pick just one tree path? How do you know which one to pick? Ugh, I need a guide.

In Civ IV, there was maintanance and that cost your empire much econimically as it grew past the optimal number and distance of cities. What has replaced that for Civ V, and how would you grow huge massively large empires with cities all over the world? What is the rating in your empire to keep a look out for?

Is there a guide I can read about social policies? These are very different from civics and look very complicated. Basically I'm clueless on where to start with all the social policy options available in the game. Can you only pick just one tree path? How do you know which one to pick? Ugh, I need a guide.

In Civ IV, there was maintanance and that cost your empire much econimically as it grew past the optimal number and distance of cities. What has replaced that for Civ V, and how would you grow huge massively large empires with cities all over the world? What is the rating in your empire to keep a look out for?

There are some articles about social policies in the strategies forum. You need to advance to a specific era (via technology) to unlock some of the trees. Social policies are cumulative... once you select one, it is active for the rest of the game (unless you activate policies in an incompatible tree).

You can pick any policy from any tree, but you need to take some worthless policies to get to the ones you want, sometimes. Note, since some trees cannot be active at the same time, plan ahead.

Which tree to concentrate on depends on what victory type you are aiming for. Patronage helps with city states, so is good for diplo victories. Tradition is good for small empires, Liberty is better if you plan to expand like a madman. Rationalism is good for science victory... Honor tree for warmongerers... etc.

But I suck at this game, so please read some strategy forum articles instead of just blindly following my advice.

In Civ5, it is happiness that limits empire growth. In the early game, luxuries are therefore important. In the later game, buildings and social policies are more important.

Top Bottom