Quick Questions and Answers

Research Agreements (RA's) are fantastic. You should sign them as early and as often as you can, with as many opponents as possible. First you will need a Declaration of Friendship in place. After that, with the appropriate tech researched, both you and your RA partner pay a lump amount of gold. After the RA finishes, you both gain research points proportional to your combined, average research totals over the course of the agreement. Particularly at high difficulty levels, this can be critical for victory.

With BNW and the latest patches, do you still get the bonus hammers after finished buildings when you set your city to production focus but manually select your tiles?
(Like how SBF MadDjinn has demonstrated on some GnK LPs)

Clearbeard, thanks for your answear, but I still have a doubt.

It´s better doing RA when you have more or less techs than the opponent?

With BNW and the latest patches, do you still get the bonus hammers after finished buildings when you set your city to production focus but manually select your tiles?
(Like how SBF MadDjinn has demonstrated on some GnK LPs)

Yeah, that still works.

The RA yield is determined by both parties' beaker output over the agreement, so number of techs isn't really relevant when signing them. The more advanced the RA partner, the more science the agreement will yield, but you also risk making them stronger.

Hi all,

I'm playing Gods and Kings version. I was lucky enough to found my second city next to Fountain of Youth. I also grabbed +4 religion bonus for each monument worked. Because of this, I didn't spend much time building Shrines. I only built 4, so I was pumping out 8 religion/turn (I'm at about 500 BC).

The city has been attacked unsuccessfully twice, as I'm pretty adamant about keeping this lovely Natural Wonder (love the healing bonus).

I didn't see any notification, but it seems that I'm no longer able to draw the + 4 religion but it does seem that I'm still getting the +10 happiness. When I click on the city icon, I can no longer work the Wonder's tile. It says the tile is owned by Player 1, which I assume is me.

So, my question is:

-Is this a game bug?
-Does the wonder have a time limit?
-Did someone use a great person to steal the benefit (I've never heard of this)?

I really need those +4 religion. I can't find any answers in the Civilopedia. How do I get this back? This is a tough game at Deity level, and I've got a good enough start that I have a shot at my first victory at this level (I'm playing Germany and have a great army of conscripted barbers converted to landsnichts).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi all,

I'm playing Gods and Kings version. I was lucky enough to found my second city next to Fountain of Youth. I also grabbed +4 religion bonus for each monument worked. Because of this, I didn't spend much time building Shrines. I only built 4, so I was pumping out 8 religion/turn (I'm at about 500 BC).

The city has been attacked unsuccessfully twice, as I'm pretty adamant about keeping this lovely Natural Wonder (love the healing bonus).

I didn't see any notification, but it seems that I'm no longer able to draw the + 4 religion but it does seem that I'm still getting the +10 happiness. When I click on the city icon, I can no longer work the Wonder's tile. It says the tile is owned by Player 1, which I assume is me.

So, my question is:

-Is this a game bug?
-Does the wonder have a time limit?
-Did someone use a great person to steal the benefit (I've never heard of this)?

I really need those +4 religion. I can't find any answers in the Civilopedia. How do I get this back? This is a tough game at Deity level, and I've got a good enough start that I have a shot at my first victory at this level (I'm playing Germany and have a great army of conscripted barbers converted to landsnichts).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Most likely your city has converted to a different religion so that you no longer get the bonus of the One with Nature pantheon.

Or is in the process of being converted, where neither your pantheon nor the new religion has a majority of followers in the city.

Thanks for the responses. I went and checked and the City (size 7) shows my pantheon (+4 religion from wonders) and shows my religion with 3 followers and something like 5 pressure. No other religion shows, so that's not it.

I still don't understand why, when in the city screen, I can't "work" that tile. I was able to do that earlier in the game, but for some reason, I don't get a circle to click in to work the Wonder's tile.

I'm new to using a Mac, so I don't know how to do a screenshot yet. If anyone is familiar with a MacBook pro, I'd be more than happy to post the city screen if that will help figure this out.

Thanks for the responses. I went and checked and the City (size 7) shows my pantheon (+4 religion from wonders) and shows my religion with 3 followers and something like 5 pressure. No other religion shows, so that's not it.

But you still dont have the majority of the city. That *might* be why you cant get the faith from that tile (not sure)

I'm confused as to how unit disbanding works.

So the tooltip says that units will start disbanding once you hit -5gpt (and your treasury is at 0). But what specifically causes units to disband? Why that turn, why that unit? It doesn't seem to be the case that an increased negative GPT affects the rate of disbanding. How does science fit into all of this? I'd assume that once your science reaches 0 due to your negative GPT (which is pretty much never going to happen), units will only then start disbanding, but units disband regardless of this. And the rate never seems to change much.

The whole negative gpt thing seems to be a weird mechanic regardless. The science penalty seems too ineffectual in most cases to really matter.

Is this mechanic just really really bad or am I missing something?

Doing an RA with ONLY the tech leader might sometimes be counterproductive, but if you sign with multiple opponents as often as you can you'll end up way ahead. Consider signing with 4 opponents, all of you with roughly equal tech production and levels. At the end you get 4x as much tech as any one of them.

But you still dont have the majority of the city. That *might* be why you cant get the faith from that tile (not sure)

I don't think that's it, but I'm pretty close to converting that city so we'll see. I'd think that the pantheon, since it is still the active "opiate of the masses" would still be in effect.

I'm going to play a couple of dozen turns later tonight until the city converts to the religion and see if that changes, but it still won't explain why I can't "work" the tile.

On the bright side, I can settle my next city near another Wonder that is hiding behind a mountain, buy that tile, and get those 4 religious points/turn back, and I needed to secure that portion of the map anyways, so it won't affect overall strategy.

I'd still like to solve this little mystery though. If I can actually win this game at this level, I'll try to play with some of ya'll soon, but these 'quirks' kill me.

How do I make all the other leaders appear on the side and my resources be displayed separated from the Faith/Culture/Tourism etc in the top, like happens in this pic: http://i.imgur.com/aW7YL35.jpg

That's probably a mod, but I'm not sure which one. So, I don't think there's any way you can do this without using a mod.

You were correct. My city converted about 10 turns later and I got my +4 religion back.

Thanks

I still don't know why I'd lose that while the city was still under the pantheon, but I guess I can work with this.

Now, if I can just figure out how the damn swedes keep mass producing horsemen every other turn and keeping me from taking what should have been an easy city…..

The city could not have been under your pantheon when you lost the pantheon benefit. As pantheon followers convert to religion followers, it is typical for the city to have, for some number of turns, neither majority pantheon followers nor majority religion followers. During those turns, your pantheon thunderbolt would disappear from the city banner, and there would be no majority belief until your religion has a majority of followers in the city, whereupon your religion's symbol will appear.

Yes, your religion includes your pantheon, and the number of pantheon followers plus the number of religion followers was always a majority, so you would think that you should at least get your pantheon benefit during the entire transition, but it isn't designed that way.

You can only take the Citadel for yourself if you citadel bomb it to become part of your territory. But you can pillage an enemy citadel, which renders it inoperative (until repaired, of course).

So, let me understand. I'm at war with Denmark. I can walk all over his land, and attack his cities. Harald had citadel bombed me, with this citadel about 50 turns ago, and now I've got him on the run. He pulled his unit out of the citadel.

I can't put one of my units in the citadel, and conquer it? What if I take the city nearby, so that the territory all round it becomes mine? Are you saying that since he used a citadel to grab the territory, the surrounding hexes remain his forever? Well not forever, but anyway...

I can't put one of my units in the citadel, and conquer it?

You can move onto the citadel, just like you can move through his other territory. Unlike some previous Civ versions, that does not conqueror or destroy the citadel. You will want to pillage the citadel tile, pretty much as soon as you can.

Yes, if you take the city nearby, the territory all round it becomes yours, including the citadel. Citadels can really mix up which tiles are associated with which city, especially if a couple AI civs citadel bomb each other.

Top Bottom