Quick Questions and Answers

City on/off river/coast? Has the considerations tied to this choice changed any in Beyond Earth?

Growth.

No buildings require river.
In BE river/coast energy(=gold) bonus is back. And you city tile does not overwrite base yield, just adds 2f 1h.
Coastal cities get free city connection and international sea trade route have x1.5 yield.
Lighthouse equivalent building renders +1 hammer too.

In addition, planting a city removes the feature that the tile was on, including flood plains and any resource present.

City on/off river/coast? Has the considerations tied to this choice changed any in Beyond Earth?

In addition to ggmoyang:

Farms don't have better yields next to river.

In addition, planting a city removes the feature that the tile was on, including flood plains and any resource present.

Making it better not to settle next to river if flood plains. Settling on a hill is also bad because the base tile only has 1 production (mides add two, making the sum equal to BNW regarding the early game. )

Can trade routes be canceled? Whenever you want to build a wonder in a city cancel other trade routes and send them to that city.

Is there a Hall of Fame? How about any version of the old "Throne Room"?

Can trade routes be canceled? Whenever you want to build a wonder in a city cancel other trade routes and send them to that city.

No, they last 25 turns. Additionally, war no longer deletes your trade units. So a DoW would be the only way to cancel a trade route.

Can I type names on the landscape, like in Alpha Centauri? Or must my Civ map again be a jumble of nameless rivers and mountains?

Can I type names on the landscape, like in Alpha Centauri? Or must my Civ map again be a jumble of nameless rivers and mountains?

I can't find any such function. :(

I seems like the UI has less features than Civ 5. Map options (show/hide yields, resources, grid etc) don't seem to have shortcut keys, nor is there one for the Orbital Layer.

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. I don't really think it deserves a whole thread.

I was wondering if someone could please post screen shots of the graphics options in the game. I am anxiously awaiting the Mac version and am trying to decide whether or not I should preorder yet. I'm trying to see if there are options I can decrease or disable that would let me run the game with my MBP and HD 3000. (Foolish, I know. I should just be patient and see what happens, but I want to preorder NOW, darn it! :lol: )

:mischief:

I can't find any such function. :(

I seems like the UI has less features than Civ 5. Map options (show/hide yields, resources, grid etc) don't seem to have shortcut keys, nor is there one for the Orbital Layer.

You now have to hold a key according to one of Maddjinn's early LP's. It's been awhile so I can't remember if it's alt or shift. So shortcuts for grid for example would be alt?shift? 'G'.

Edit:
You hold 'shift' key. Shift-G=Grid, Shift Y=Yield, Shift-R=Resource icons, Shift-O=Orbital Layer.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...Beyond_Earth_Extended_Manual.pdf?t=1414103655
Page 111

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. I don't really think it deserves a whole thread.

I was wondering if someone could please post screen shots of the graphics options in the game. I am anxiously awaiting the Mac version and am trying to decide whether or not I should preorder yet. I'm trying to see if there are options I can decrease or disable that would let me run the game with my MBP and HD 3000. (Foolish, I know. I should just be patient and see what happens, but I want to preorder NOW, darn it! :lol: )

:mischief:

I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but I definitely would not assume that you'd be able to get BE to work in OSX just because it could work in Windows on the same hardware. The graphics options might be different too. You're below the minimum specs, right?

I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but I definitely would not assume that you'd be able to get BE to work in OSX just because it could work in Windows on the same hardware. The graphics options might be different too. You're below the minimum specs, right?

It is what I'm saying, and I know it's silly, but I'm anxious. You're right, it's not much evidence at all.

I'm well above the minimum specs, except for the specific graphics chip, the Intel HD 3000 (which uses 512 MB of system RAM, in my case).

@oakdragon
I'll bet you're pretty close, since this is after all still based on the Civ5 engine I have a hard time imagining that you won't be able to set the graphics low enough...may not be pretty but hopefully will work, there are other tricks too to no doubt like there were in Civ5 to reduce time between turns if that gets a bit much also. You might want to look at what people are saying about how it works on tablets. I for one plan on trying it on an "old" Surface Pro1 sometime in the next week or two.

This isn't just a laptop issue, though. Listed OSX requirements are particularly high. Super risky to preorder IMO...

Have any tweaks / balances been observed between the pre-release and today's build? (I haven't seen any mentioned, and assumed there wouldn't be any.)

It is what I'm saying, and I know it's silly, but I'm anxious. You're right, it's not much evidence at all.

I'm well above the minimum specs, except for the specific graphics chip, the Intel HD 3000 (which uses 512 MB of system RAM, in my case).

For what it's worth these are the options in PC version (from the manual):
VIDEO OPTIONS:
Anti-Aliasing: Turn this on to smooth the graphical edges in the game;
improves quality with more powerful hardware.
Full Screen: This allows you to choose whether to play in full screen mode or
in a window.
V-Sync: Turning this on prevents video “tearing” by locking the frame rate. (It
is suggested that you leave this on unless you are an advanced user.)
Graphics Profile: Will set the following graphic quality aspects as a group;
“Custom” allows the user to determine each individually.
Leader Scene Quality: Affects the quality (minimum to high) of the image of
the leader scenes.
Overlay Detail: Affects the quality (low to high) of the overlays.
Shadow Quality: Affects the quality (off to high) of shadows of units,
buildings and other non-terrain items.
Fog of War Quality: Affects the quality (low or high) of the Fog of War.
Terrain Detail Level: Determines the level (minimum to high) of texture detail
of the terrain.
Terrain Tessellation Level: Determines the level (low to high) of mesh detail
of the terrain.
Terrain Shadow Quality: Determines the quality (off to high) of shadows of
terrain.
Water Quality: Determines the quality (low or high) of the water.
Effects Quality: Determines the quality (low or high) of the special effects in
the game.

For what it's worth these are the options in PC version (from the manual):
VIDEO OPTIONS:
Anti-Aliasing: Turn this on to smooth the graphical edges in the game;
improves quality with more powerful hardware.
Full Screen: This allows you to choose whether to play in full screen mode or
in a window.
V-Sync: Turning this on prevents video “tearing” by locking the frame rate. (It
is suggested that you leave this on unless you are an advanced user.)
Graphics Profile: Will set the following graphic quality aspects as a group;
“Custom” allows the user to determine each individually.
Leader Scene Quality: Affects the quality (minimum to high) of the image of
the leader scenes.
Overlay Detail: Affects the quality (low to high) of the overlays.
Shadow Quality: Affects the quality (off to high) of shadows of units,
buildings and other non-terrain items.
Fog of War Quality: Affects the quality (low or high) of the Fog of War.
Terrain Detail Level: Determines the level (minimum to high) of texture detail
of the terrain.
Terrain Tessellation Level: Determines the level (low to high) of mesh detail
of the terrain.
Terrain Shadow Quality: Determines the quality (off to high) of shadows of
terrain.
Water Quality: Determines the quality (low or high) of the water.
Effects Quality: Determines the quality (low or high) of the special effects in
the game.

Cool. Thank you, darkskies! Sounds about the same as Civ V then. Hmm.

3 quick questions please, I'm playing blind without having watched a single LP/preview:

1. Are natural wonders in game? I was expecting to find weird/unique geological formations but 2 games in and nada
2. How do I enable the little resource icons on the game hex? Can't find this for the life of me...
3. WHERE'S MY STRATEGIC VIEW? :mad:
4. edit: What's the shortcut to display hex grid? In CiV it was a simple 'G'.

3 quick questions please, I'm playing blind without having watched a single LP/preview:

1. Are natural wonders in game? I was expecting to find weird/unique geological formations but 2 games in and nada
Not in the game.
2. How do I enable the little resource icons on the game hex? Can't find this for the life of me...
How do we see resources on tiles on the map? Not in the city.

Thanks
Next to the minimap in the top right corner there is a little circular button that looks like an eye (?). It's an option in there. The keyboard shortcut is Shift+R.
3. WHERE'S MY STRATEGIC VIEW? :mad:
Not in the game.
4. edit: What's the shortcut to display hex grid? In CiV it was a simple 'G'.
The shortcut is Shift+G. You can access this via the same little circular button next to the minimap.

Top Bottom