1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by joncnunn, Oct 21, 2014.

1. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Civrules put it ever so well in the Civ4 Quick Answers thread, so lets leave it at what he wrote:

2. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Ok here is a question, what uses is there for geothermal? We know about two wonders, and the developers hinted that some late game buildings needs it but which ones?

Also can you trade for it? If you can what stops you from buying 5 geothermal for 30 turns, building a wonder with it and then don't buy anymore, will the wonder stop work if you don't have the geothermal anymore?

3. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

@Cyon: Thanks to Aeson we have access to the tech web already, it should answer some of your questions: LINK

In Civ 5, having negative strategics inflicted combat penalties for the affected units AFAIK (usually never had the issue). There might be something similar in BE.
    For ressources that aren't used in units, there might be an economic/upkeep penalty rather than satellites suddenly deorbiting the moment your geothermal is pillaged (or even worse, because some trade runs out).

But this is a question for Maddjinn. Pity you didn't ask yesterday during the AMA with the devs.

4. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Chieftain

What's the point of the specialty covert actions (dirty bomb, worm strike, sabotage) when Coup D'etat appears to be so much better and is always available?

5. jaldaen

jaldaen Chieftain

I think the main benefit of the specialty covert ops is remaining anonymous. The Coup makes clear who did the op and definitely affects your relationships with that player and maybe other players as well. The other benefit is if you just want to cripple a city, but don't want to take it for your own (due to health concerns).

Admittedly, these benefits might not be enough to outweigh those of taking the city outright, but there will be times when the specialty ops are better choices.

6. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

@Tomice: couldn't find any buildings that needed it, and only the two wonders in the tech web, but it is possible I missed it.

7. temprus

temprus Chieftain

I could be wrong but I thought a Convoy was on land and a Vessel was a sea route.

8. Xerin7

Xerin7 Chieftain

What is the recommended number of settlements?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

What do you mean exactly? The rule of thumb to have 4 settlements in BNW is surely gone, going wide will be far more rewarding in BE.

Strange. I don't have time to check myself right now, but if you say so you're probably right. Maybe they still have to implement it?

10. lemony

lemony Chieftain

Is there a world builder in the initial version release or will there be one at a later date?

11. Sal

Sal Chieftain

There was talk of the level 1 purity attribute being re worked (aliens will not attack tiles with explorers on)

Has this been changed?

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

For CD release this appears to be true, but then again tall wasn't the best tactic when Civ V Vanilla was first released either. We'll really have to wait until after the balance patches to make a fair assessment on this because if too many people ignore health, the health penalties are likely to be increased in one of the balance patches.

13. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Chieftain

In watching some LP's, I see that when units "level up" via affinity, you select a PERK.

I also see that in combat, units gain XP points, do units also "level up" with XP points (like in Civ V)?

If they don't level up, is there a purpose for XP points?

Also, can you rename units ?

thanks..

14. Xerin7

Xerin7 Chieftain

I read that the health penalties are pretty severe for multiple cities, and at least for early game you shouldn't have more than a couple cities. Just wondering if you can win a game with only 3 settlements like in civ V, or whether we will return to the city sprawl of earlier civs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Thorn

Thorn Chieftain

Do I get planet busters? Or at least something like them. :mischief:

16. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Already confirmed in the AMA that there are no "nukes" as it bottlenecked the game around them(like in all the civ games).

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

XP gives you promotions, but they are limited to insta-heal or a straight 10% bonus. The fancy upgrades are limited to affinities.

I think you'll find that so long as your health isn't at ridiculous levels, each new city you found will be able to pay for itself in the form of trade routes. You will definitely not be limited to 3 cities, and going with 3 cities might be forgoing the benefits you could be receiving for more. A big limitation on over-expanding, then, is your ability to defend yourself.

18. Ortus

Ortus Chieftain

Do we know if the African Union bonus applies to Food or Growth?

19. mnf

mnf Chieftain

City on/off river/coast? Has the considerations tied to this choice changed any in Beyond Earth?

20. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Growth.

No buildings require river.
    In BE river/coast energy(=gold) bonus is back. And you city tile does not overwrite base yield, just adds 2f 1h.
    Coastal cities get free city connection and international sea trade route have x1.5 yield.
    Lighthouse equivalent building renders +1 hammer too.