Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Would there be a reason why my friendly declared friend and defensive ally Austria can give me open borders, but I can't give it to them? Friendly Indonesia, although we're not as tightly allied, is in the same boat. I don't think either of them are being deceptive as my military is very strong.
You lack the tech? If so, the option is grey.

Your tourism is high and they don't want you to get the open borders bonus?

Yeah that'll be it then. I had a peaceful start and had stacked some wonders. Thanks for the tip :)

I remember my first tourism game in vanilla and thinking it was backwards, so I guess I agree with how it is in VP.

So, just to avoid more confusion and making sure how VP works.
- Open Borders on MY side means: your troops may come, but also your people to see my culture, so MY tourism increases with that civ
- Open Borders on CIV’s side means: I can go around your places, but also my people visit your wonders, so CIV’s tourism increases with me
Yes?

that's right.
Also keep in mind that you need mutual open borders to be able to dig in another civ's territory. For the initial question, I don't know if AI factors that in, but at least for a human player it would be another reason not to accept open borders.

Previously I asked a question about how would I find out if a Civ is bribed to declare war on me. Someone answered that a spy should inform me. I've spent around 1500hrs playing VP and seem to have somehow missed this mechanic. How is my spy supposed to tell me that?

A popup on the sidebar will tell you "X civ brokered war against you", should you have the required intelligence.

Previously I asked a question about how would I find out if a Civ is bribed to declare war on me. Someone answered that a spy should inform me. I've spent around 1500hrs playing VP and seem to have somehow missed this mechanic. How is my spy supposed to tell me that?

A popup on the sidebar will tell you "X civ brokered war against you", should you have the required intelligence.

Not to mention that it's very rare to see this, I'm pretty sure you either need a spy of high rank in the civ that brokered war against you or in the civ that has declared war against you.

It is however pretty easy to see if a civ had been brokered or not, because you can't make peace for 15 turns (while normally you can).

When conquering cities before Philosophy, does immediate annexing still invest in the courthouse (of course, you can only build it with philosophy)? Or is that part of the benefit lost?

In the vanilla game, razing a city immediately avoids any penalty to science, but in VP, it increases the cost of techs. I presume that's intended, but it does seem a bit harsh. Razing a city already has associated costs.

If you are playing domination it won't matter as you will soon acquire more cities and one of them won't increase the tech cost (based on the max cities ever held), but if you are just dealing with an aggressive neighbour and want to raze one of his cities, you can end up with a permanent tech penalty. When I discovered this, I was kind of forced to take another city and keep it next time he declared war.

Thoughts?

"Bonus scale with Era" - well, there are many like that. Anyone can tell what is the exact formula of that scaling? Is it simple linear "times era no."?

It is basically linear, with the exception that ancient and classical count as one era.
So, the multipliers are 1 for ancient/classical, and then increasing by 1 in each era (so Information Era is 7).

It is basically linear, with the exception that ancient and classical count as one era.
So, the multipliers are 1 for ancient/classical, and then increasing by 1 in each era (so Information Era is 7).
Is it influenced by Difficulty or GameSpeed in any way?

There wasn't some recent change I missed regarding Luxs, right? They don't start giving more Happiness if you get more than 1 copy of the same Lux?

There wasn't some recent change I missed regarding Luxs, right? They don't start giving more Happiness if you get more than 1 copy of the same Lux?

Funny you should ask that because I was about to ask something similar. I'm seeing a civ that would apparently like to buy a second copy of a lux which I assume is a bug, but just wanted to check it wasn't expected

I need some tips on settling cities, since I still feel stuck in my vanilla Civ5 BNW ways.

What are your usual guidelines for settling cities?
How important is freshwater access?
Would you give up settling on a river to reach one more resource tile for example?
How many resource tiles do you usually try to get inside your city limits?

Any help appreciated.

Is it influenced by Difficulty or GameSpeed in any way?

No, era scaling itself isn't affected. However, instant yields also scale with game speed (but this is not written usually) with the same factors as all costs scale (1 for standard, 1.5 for epic, for the others I'm not sure (Marathon has 3, I think, and quick 0.67, if I recall right)). AI bonus yields from difficulty generally use another scaling with era.

Funny you should ask that because I was about to ask something similar. I'm seeing a civ that would apparently like to buy a second copy of a lux which I assume is a bug, but just wanted to check it wasn't expected

You don't get more happiness, no. And if the civ that wants to buy a second copy is Netherlands, everything is fine. Since a few patches ago, Netherlands is allowed to buy multiple copies of luxuries and can obtain monopolies through this (and trigger his UA). Other civs shouldn't be able to do this, if I didn't miss something.

Top Bottom