Quick Questions / Quick Answers

I ddidn't think you could, but I have a mystery source of Happiness coming from somewhere that seems to be luxury-associated. Hrm...

And if the civ that wants to buy a second copy is Netherlands, everything is fine. Since a few patches ago, Netherlands is allowed to buy multiple copies of luxuries and can obtain monopolies through this (and trigger his UA). Other civs shouldn't be able to do this, if I didn't miss something.

Brilliant spot! It is indeed Netherlands. No need for a bug report then :)(although in this particular instance it doesn't help him as I already have the monopoly :mischief:)

I need some tips on settling cities, since I still feel stuck in my vanilla Civ5 BNW ways.

What are your usual guidelines for settling cities?
How important is freshwater access?
Would you give up settling on a river to reach one more resource tile for example?
How many resource tiles do you usually try to get inside your city limits?

Any help appreciated.

My usual guidelines are, in order of importance:

1) Defensible locations (Highest priority)
2) Have access to my regional luxury monopoly. (good to have, but its ok to miss one or two luxury. You just need more than 50% anyway)
And/Or
3) Have access to strategic resources. (important for your troops, whether you're going to wage war or not.)

Preferably having both 2 & 3 would be ideal. But sometimes I forward settle in a really good defensive position such that one city would block an entire attack from an enemy Civ without much troop requirement. But that city would have maybe one banana and nothing else.

I don't actually factor in freshwater access at all unless I'm settling desert. Rivers have never really been a consideration too, unless they form part of a defensive line.
As for how many resource tiles, well it usually just follows the above 3 criteria.

--

Also, re my previous question. Is there anyway to keep a generated map you like for a future game?

Last edited:
Is it influenced by Difficulty or GameSpeed in any way?
iEra scaling is: 1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Difficulty is: HandicapYield = HandicapBase (5 for emperor) * (handicapA* iEra^2 + handicapB * iEra + handicapC) (food and gold)
Every time AI does something noticeable (settling a city, getting a great person, ...) it gets HandicapYield/2. Every time AI moves to next Era it gets HandicapYield * 2.

There wasn't some recent change I missed regarding Luxs, right? They don't start giving more Happiness if you get more than 1 copy of the same Lux?
Even in vanilla, only one copy is needed for the happiness effect. Having two copies does nothing extra. Netherlands can take your copy and resell it to someone else, triggering his special bonus.

Thank you Gav92 for your answers to my city settling question.

I've an additional question that is unrelated to the first:

What determines which religion beliefs AI's pick?

I've done 6 games now with Indonesia trying to get Theocratic Rule, but in every single game it was picked first by AI.
Is this typical for AI to pick this founder belief first? Is there anything I can do to get a higher chance of getting Theocratic Rule?
(I guess I could play Byzantine, but I kinda wanted the Indonesian Candi synergies)

Brilliant spot! It is indeed Netherlands. No need for a bug report then :)(although in this particular instance it doesn't help him as I already have the monopoly :mischief:)

Just FYI, he can steal your monopoly if he gets more copies than you. And he wants to.

G

I don't actually factor in freshwater access at all unless I'm settling desert. Rivers have never really been a consideration too, unless they form part of a defensive line.

--

Also, re my previous question. Is there anyway to keep a generated map you like for a future game?

1) But farms next to rivers get extra food (you do not need to settle your city exactly on the river for that), which can help a lot

2) I cannot check in-game now, but I think there is an option to save the map somewhere in the game menu, no?

When conquering cities before Philosophy, does immediate annexing still invest in the courthouse (of course, you can only build it with philosophy)? Or is that part of the benefit lost?

I remember it still investing in the courthouse.

Just FYI, he can steal your monopoly if he gets more copies than you. And he wants to.

G
Thanks, I'll be careful. On the topic of monopolies, I'm seeing Hiawatha with 112% furs (9 of 8). Studying the map, he appears to have 7. Is there a trick to this one too?

Thanks, I'll be careful. On the topic of monopolies, I'm seeing Hiawatha with 112% furs (9 of 8). Studying the map, he appears to have 7. Is there a trick to this one too?

The East India Company (national wonder associated to Custom House) doubles the amount of all luxuries around the city where it is build. That makes it possible to have more copies of a luxury than those that are actually present on the map.

Thanks, so much to learn here! Such fun!! :banana:

Bit of a "meme" but serious question: Is Gandhi still a madman in this mod? i.e will he become ultra aggressive in the late game?

What are the promotion you guys go for on Ranged, melee, naval (ranged & melee), and aircrafts?

Ranged: The +% damage to over 50% health are more productive than the +% damage to under 50% health. Especially if you are an era above them (chance of knocking them out or mostly out in one shot) or are using melee to clean up.
Melee: I always go for the flank bonus, much more useful especially in the early game where it multiplies force with few units.
Naval Ranged: Unless Im specifically trying to drain units, I always use the town damage promotion, because even the dutch unique unit fully upgraded is mostly useless against towns with walls and a castle. Ranged naval, even with the nerfs, is still far better for assaulting towns.
Naval Melee: Often the anti ship promotions, early game for pirates and late game to screen frigates, with the occasional with town promotions to actually capture towns.
I have no idea about aircraft.

Melee: I always go for the flank bonus, much more useful especially in the early game where it multiplies force with few units.
I just want to point out that the flanking bonus tends to not do that much (its usually only 2 or 3 extra damage) whereas drill has an enormous impact against cities (often 20 more damage dealt)

I see a lot of players advocating shock over drill, but overall I'd say drill is actually better. The big exception is swordsmen, because they begin already having a layer of shock

I just want to point out that the flanking bonus tends to not do that much (its usually only 2 or 3 extra damage) whereas drill has an enormous impact against cities (often 20 more damage dealt)

I see a lot of players advocating shock over drill, but overall I'd say drill is actually better. The big exception is swordsmen, because they begin already having a layer of shock
On the other hand, swordsmen are the best melee units for attacking cities, so they get a lot of mileage out of drill.
I generally pick drill on horsemen and swordsmen, and shock on spearmen. Spearmen are too weak to effectively attack cities even with drill, so I prefer to have them engage units.

Spoiler image :

The Spearman's strength in this combat preview is 10 * 1.5 * 1.15 * 1.10 which comes out to roughly 19, which is correct. The Mandekalu Calvary's combat strength is supposed to be 15 * 1.3 which is roughly 19.5, but instead it comes up as 26.25, resulting in it being a lot stronger than it should. Am I missing something? I know that they have a doubled Flanking bonus from their special promotion but there's no flanking being done here (and I would assume that would show up in the combat preview anyways).

Spoiler image :

The Spearman's strength in this combat preview is 10 * 1.5 * 1.15 * 1.10 which comes out to roughly 19, which is correct. The Mandekalu Calvary's combat strength is supposed to be 15 * 1.3 which is roughly 19.5, but instead it comes up as 26.25, resulting in it being a lot stronger than it should. Am I missing something? I know that they have a doubled Flanking bonus from their special promotion but there's no flanking being done here (and I would assume that would show up in the combat preview anyways).
I thought bonuses are not multiplicative. +10% (your happiness?) + 15% (your GG) +50% (vs mounted) equals to +75%. 10 * 1.75 = 17.5
Your spearsman has 2 redbull promotions, but they add nothing to current combat.
Mandelaku has 2 shock (+20%) and the overrun (+25% vs wounded, +10% vs I can't remember). 15 * 1.45 = 21.75.
Then, being wounded changes actual numbers, but not linearly.
Combat overview is not very friendly.

I thought bonuses are not multiplicative. +10% (your happiness?) + 15% (your GG) +50% (vs mounted) equals to +75%. 10 * 1.75 = 17.5
Your spearsman has 2 redbull promotions, but they add nothing to current combat.
Mandelaku has 2 shock (+20%) and the overrun (+25% vs wounded, +10% vs I can't remember). 15 * 1.45 = 21.75.
Then, being wounded changes actual numbers, but not linearly.
Combat overview is not very friendly.

Overrun is a 100% bonus to flanking which shouldn't be in play here, but I guess they could have other bonuses that aren't showing up in the combat preview, hard to tell since I don't think there's a way to check promotions of a unit that's not your own outside of just seeing the icons so it could have the bonus against wounded units that's not showing up. I guess the important thing is to not trust the combat preview too much like you said.

Top Bottom