Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Aside from the instances where your response to certain situations may trigger a war, does choosing "you'll pay for this in time", or "very well" have any actual affect with the opposing AI?
If they fear you (military wise), choosing the aggressive option should convince them to stop (I've read it somewhere so I'm not so sure about it).

In any other cases, I don't think there is any effect.

If they fear you (military wise), choosing the aggressive option should convince them to stop (I've read it somewhere so I'm not so sure about it).

In any other cases, I don't think there is any effect.

What about when the AI declares war on you?

The question was explicitly "aside from the instance where your response to certain situations may trigger a war"

Yeah, an AI war declaration can't trigger a war because you're already at war at that moment.

So what exactly does choosing one option over the other do after receiving a war declaration? Make the AI hate you more so they declare war again?

Yeah, an AI war declaration can't trigger a war because you're already at war at that moment.

So what exactly does choosing one option over the other do after receiving a war declaration? Make the AI hate you more so they declare war again?
This is precisely why I'd asked.

So I conquered an opponents 2nd and 3d city (of 3) in order to gain them as a vassal, with the intention of gifting back these cities afterwards. I'm aware that you can no longer just gift any old city to anyone, but these should be attractive to several opponents.

However, even after completing the war (well same round) these cities do not show up at all in the trading screen with any leader. Both were puppeted, one is no longer revolting. Is there some sort of timer? Or am I stuck with these forever??

Hi guys,

I'm just back to Civ V and amazed that this project is still active after years. This patch makes game so much more fun and integrate a bunch of interesting mods out there. I have a few questions to make me familiar with this patch again if you don't mind.

1. Is there a way to disable the "Revolution" features? In late games, cities revolt and join a different civ quite occasionally. Some faraway cities revolt and join me but i don't want to puppet nor raze them coz that will increase my warmongering threshold. More AIs are guarded towards me because "we have land dispute". The funny thing is that a revolt city will revolt and join me again after their original owner took it back from a war. (most importantly, i prefer playing "tall" with a few cities only)

2. How do you avoid warmongering snowball? In my previous game, I declared wars three times on my AI neighbors and annexed 4 foreign cities in CLASSICAL ERA but since then every AI hated me, denounced me, and declared numerous wars on me through out the game (untill modern era).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm just back to Civ V and amazed that this project is still active after years. This patch makes game so much more fun and integrate a bunch of interesting mods out there. I have a few questions to make me familiar with this patch again if you don't mind.

1. Is there a way to disable the "Revolution" features? In late games, cities revolt and join a different civ quite occasionally. Some faraway cities revolt and join me but i don't want to puppet nor raze them coz that will increase my warmongering threshold. More AIs are guarded towards me because "we have land dispute". The funny thing is that a revolt city will revolt and join me again after their original owner took it back from a war. (most importantly, i prefer playing "tall" with a few cities only)

2. How do you avoid warmongering snowball? In my previous game, I declared wars three times on my AI neighbors and annexed 4 foreign cities in CLASSICAL ERA but since then every AI hated me, denounced me, and declared numerous wars on me through out the game (untill modern era).

Cheers!

1) Note that if there is still "free slots" (i.e you play with less than 63 Civ+CS), cities that revolt either go back to their original owner, either become a free city (a new City State appear). If that's not the case in your games, you are either in an old version of VP, either you encounter a bug. To my knowledge, this cannot be disabled since it is a vanilla feature (just debuged by VP), but I can be wrong.

2) You need allies early on. The point is that they no longer hate you because of classical era stuffs. They probably just hate you because having a common ennemy is the best way to make friends. (note also that cities captured in defensive wars still count as warmonger. I think it is 75% of the penalty, but it still count).

I think this is one of the ways that the "Your behaviour infuriates them" negative diplomacy modifier is created. So this is one of the ways that you can directly worsen relations with that civ.

You can't.

Why?
1) The way religions are coded in Civ 5 does not allow the player to "choose" its religion.
2) As a design choice, we don't want founder to be able to unintentionally loose their religion.
3) Comparing two religions is something very difficult to do for the AI, since most of the beliefs have long term vs short term concern, or strange bonuses, and all of them are correlated with each others (except when creating a religion, you can't just optimize belief per belief). => The AI never have a preference to a particular religion, and will always try to keep its current religion. So a feature like "being able to change of religion" will not be implemented as long as the AI is not able to use it (which may never occur).

But do you get the founder bonus from the conquered holy city?

Only if it's your primary religion (the one you choose to spread), I believe

Can someone simplify this for me please?

Can someone simplify this for me please?
Did you found a religion?
Yes -> This is your religion, you can't change.
No -> Did you conquered an holy city?
Yes -> Your "primary religion" is one of the religion you have the holy city (if you have multiple, there are some rules). You have the bonuses as if you were the founder.
No -> You have the bonuses of your majority religion, except for the founder bonuses.

Not sure of what happens if you found but loose your holy city, but I think you keep the religion.

Hey everyone I’ve got a group of people who want to play a game in which everyone starts on there own island, would be for 6 people.
Even if there isn’t such a thing and some would have to share say 3 islands for instance, that would be ok.

Any ideas of map scripts like this? Thanks :)

I think this is one of the ways that the "Your behaviour infuriates them" negative diplomacy modifier is created. So this is one of the ways that you can directly worsen relations with that civ.
So then there's really no reason to not select "very well", because why would you want tack on another negative diplo modifier? Does anyone purposefully try to be jerks to certain civs and build up as much hate as possible to facilitate and instigate future war?

Does anyone purposefully try to be jerks to certain civs and build up as much hate as possible to facilitate and instigate future war?

Absolutely. If you have a strategic objective that involves owning some of that civ's cities, if you can provoke them into declaring war you can then take the cities with a discounted warmonger score. It's very easy to do with certain hotheaded leaders.

Hey everyone I’ve got a group of people who want to play a game in which everyone starts on there own island, would be for 6 people.
Even if there isn’t such a thing and some would have to share say 3 islands for instance, that would be ok.

Any ideas of map scripts like this? Thanks :)
How about Archipelago? Or Tiny Islands?

So then there's really no reason to not select "very well", because why would you want tack on another negative diplo modifier? Does anyone purposefully try to be jerks to certain civs and build up as much hate as possible to facilitate and instigate future war?

Absolutely. If you have a strategic objective that involves owning some of that civ's cities, if you can provoke them into declaring war you can then take the cities with a discounted warmonger score. It's very easy to do with certain hotheaded leaders.

To add further, you want to get declared on, if the targetted AI has a defensive pact which you dont want to get triggered.

So I conquered an opponents 2nd and 3d city (of 3) in order to gain them as a vassal, with the intention of gifting back these cities afterwards. I'm aware that you can no longer just gift any old city to anyone, but these should be attractive to several opponents.

However, even after completing the war (well same round) these cities do not show up at all in the trading screen with any leader. Both were puppeted, one is no longer revolting. Is there some sort of timer? Or am I stuck with these forever??

the cities need to be at full health before you can trade them

Did you found a religion?
Yes -> This is your religion, you can't change.
No -> Did you conquered an holy city?
Yes -> Your "primary religion" is one of the religion you have the holy city (if you have multiple, there are some rules). You have the bonuses as if you were the founder.
No -> You have the bonuses of your majority religion, except for the founder bonuses.

Not sure of what happens if you found but loose your holy city, but I think you keep the religion.

If you didn't found, but conquered multiple holy cities what happens? Are you just stuck as founder of the first holy city you take like you are when you found one yourself? Does it switch to the one you have the majority of in your cities? Etc

If you didn't found, but conquered multiple holy cities what happens? Are you just stuck as founder of the first holy city you take like you are when you found one yourself? Does it switch to the one you have the majority of in your cities? Etc
majority.

edit: not sure 100% on seconde thought. i remember getting some kind of benefit of a second conquested religion, but im not sure about the majorities.

Top Bottom