Quick Questions / Quick Answers

I've got a weird problem with amount of available coal, does anyone know how to fix it?

I've just revealed coal on the map, so obviously I have no units or buildings using coal. I have 1 source in my territory (2 coal), I am allied with Prague which also has 2 coal (it is definitely improved and the tooltip on the city state itself shows that it is granting me 2 coal ) and I have a policy from statecraft which grants additional copy of resource for each 3 alliances. I should have 5 coal in total. However, I have just 1 coal. The tooltip shows I have 3 local (out of 2??), 3 from policies (out of 1??), zero used (that is correct) and does not show any coal from city states -see screen. I tried save/load - did not help. Also next turn did not fix the problem. Did anyone encounter such problem? I'm playing as Byzantium, the May 2018 release. Edit: Plus InfoAddict and WHoward's Capture Great People. Edit2: And communitas map - this is a communitas map.
DSC_0025.JPG

Last edited:
I've just revealed coal on the map, so obviously I have no units or buildings using coal. I have 1 source in my territory (2 coal), I am allied with Prague which also has 2 coal (it is definitely improved and the tooltip on the city state itself shows that it is granting me 2 coal ) and I have a policy from statecraft which grants additional copy of resurce for each 3 alliances. I should have 5 coal in total. However, I have just 1 coal.

The coal in Prague won't be available to you until Prague gets the relevant tech. You should have 3 coal though - but is the mine in Varna complete?

The coal in Prague won't be available to you until Prague gets the relevant tech. You should have 3 coal though - but is the mine in Varna complete?
Yes, my mine is finished. And Prague must have the tech - they have Ironclads from Industrialization which requires Steam Power which gives coal.

I've got a weird problem with amount of available coal, does anyone know how to fix it?

I've just revealed coal on the map, so obviously I have no units or buildings using coal. I have 1 source in my territory (2 coal), I am allied with Prague which also has 2 coal (it is definitely improved and the tooltip on the city state itself shows that it is granting me 2 coal ) and I have a policy from statecraft which grants additional copy of resource for each 3 alliances. I should have 5 coal in total. However, I have just 1 coal. The tooltip shows I have 3 local (out of 2??), 3 from policies (out of 1??), zero used (that is correct) and does not show any coal from city states -see screen. I tried save/load - did not help. Also next turn did not fix the problem. Did anyone encounter such problem? I'm playing as Byzantium, the May 2018 release.View attachment 504335
I remember having such kind of trouble with byzantium too. Ive picked the "+1% strategic ressources for every following city" enhancer as my UA aditional belief, but never got any additional ressources. It may be a problem based by byzantium code.

Edit: how many ironclads have praque? Maybe THEY are using YOUR coal ;)

Quick question, where is the line in CBO, which allows to add pathfinders to all civs. I understand that it has to be added to Agriculture, so that each civ starts with it, plus these two lines:

Code:
-- All civs start with a pathfinder

--Replace Starting Warrior with a Pathfinder
UPDATE Eras SET StartingDefenseUnits='0' Where Type='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Eras SET StartingExploreUnits='1' Where Type='ERA_ANCIENT';
I've added those lines OK, but still pathfinder has to be added to the Agriculture tech, so where is it done and what's the quickest way to do it?

I conquered a city and puppeted it. Despite the fact that the conquer choice description says it does not influence tech cost, technolgy costs immediately INCREASED by 5.5% as shown by tooltip on tech tree (playing epic, immortal) and obviously research times increased as well. Has the way puppet function in this respect changed? This really sucks.

Where is Medic available on the Drill line vs. the Shock line?
Also, is Formation available on the Shock line? I don't think so, but can't remember.
Quick question, where is the line in CBO, which allows to add pathfinders to all civs. I understand that it has to be added to Agriculture, so that each civ starts with it, plus these two lines:

Code:
-- All civs start with a pathfinder

--Replace Starting Warrior with a Pathfinder
UPDATE Eras SET StartingDefenseUnits='0' Where Type='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Eras SET StartingExploreUnits='1' Where Type='ERA_ANCIENT';
I've added those lines OK, but still pathfinder has to be added to the Agriculture tech, so where is it done and what's the quickest way to do it?
I think Pathfinder is already available on Agriculture. I believe this is difficulty-dependent so you'd go into the AI-handicap code and change it there. On Deity (and I think Immortal?) the AI already starts with a pathfinder, so you'd just add this code and other difficulty levels.

I think Pathfinder is already available on Agriculture.
Yeah, I think I might've been not completely clear. What I am trying to do is not to use CBO (but use the rest of VP mods including CP). And I like the feature when all civs start with pathfinders, but that doesn't happen with CBO not loaded. So, I've added the lines above, but also need to add the pathfinder to the Agriculture I think, since I don't see that unit there without CBO. Hence I was asking, which file (in CBO) contains the code to add it so I can take it and add to my setup....

I conquered a city and puppeted it. Despite the fact that the conquer choice description says it does not influence tech cost, technolgy costs immediately INCREASED by 5.5% as shown by tooltip on tech tree (playing epic, immortal) and obviously research times increased as well. Has the way puppet function in this respect changed? This really sucks.
It can sometimes. Because the rule is "conquering/settling a city increase and update your penalty to science/culture, puppeting does not increase it but update it,

It can sometimes. Because the rule is "conquering/settling a city increase and update your penalty to science/culture, puppeting does not increase it but update it,
Thanks. What do you mean by "sometimes" - are there instances when it will not?
And what is the rule you mentioned? I've never heard of it so far. It seems to not make sense though - if puppeting is meant (and has always been) to not increase your tech costs (at the cost of VERY significant drawbacks in terms of city yields) then why entering a city in order to puppet it does do exactly that? :o Is there a way to avoid it?

Thanks. What do you mean by "sometimes" - are there instances when it will not?
And what is the rule you mentioned? I've never heard of it so far. It seems to not make sense though - if puppeting is meant (and has always been) to not increase your tech costs (at the cost of VERY significant drawbacks in terms of city yields) then why entering a city in order to puppet it does do exactly that? :o Is there a way to avoid it?

Exemple 1:
You lose one city, you capture and puppet one city, and then capture back your city. The penalty do not increase.
Before, you had the penalty for N cities.
After you lost one city, you still have the penalty for N cities because the value isn't updated.
When you puppet a new city, the game update the value.
When you capture back your city, the city update again the value, the game count "N cities + 1 puppet" so you have the penalty for N cities.

Example 2:
If you puppet 3 cities in a row, the penalty should only increase the first time.

Does God of the Sea affect the Great Barrier Reef? If not, it should. I just got it for the first time ever available for settle with my second city and EUI will not expand the tool tip when I am needing to pick a pantheon....

Does God of the Sea affect the Great Barrier Reef? If not, it should. I just got it for the first time ever available for settle with my second city and EUI will not expand the tool tip when I am needing to pick a pantheon....

Goddess of Nature is what you want there (affects natural wonders)

Exemple 1:
You lose one city, you capture and puppet one city, and then capture back your city. The penalty do not increase.
Before, you had the penalty for N cities.
After you lost one city, you still have the penalty for N cities because the value isn't updated.
When you puppet a new city, the game update the value.
When you capture back your city, the city update again the value, the game count "N cities + 1 puppet" so you have the penalty for N cities.

Example 2:
If you puppet 3 cities in a row, the penalty should only increase the first time.
I'm a bit lost. In both examples you have penalty for the same number of cities, just different of puppets which SHOULD NOT matter. What is the value "updated" with? The only case I could think of is that there was some bug earlier and now the game recalculates everything and updates the proper value.
Example 1 you mentioned might refer to the variable MaxNumberOfCities (or something like that). The science penalty was used to be calculated in Civ5 based on this variable which is the highest number of non-puppeted cities you ever had at any time. So, if you have 5 cities and lose 1, you have 4 cities, but the MNOC remains 5. If you then found or annex another city, you go back to 5, which does not increase your MNOC and therefore does not increase tech penalty either. But it has nothing to do with puppets which should not count to MNOC and/or tech penalty! :undecide: This looks like a bug to me.

I'm a bit lost. In both examples you have penalty for the same number of cities, just different of puppets which SHOULD NOT matter. What is the value "updated" with? The only case I could think of is that there was some bug earlier and now the game recalculates everything and updates the proper value.
Example 1 you mentioned might refer to the variable MaxNumberOfCities (or something like that). The science penalty was used to be calculated in Civ5 based on this variable which is the highest number of non-puppeted cities you ever had at any time. So, if you have 5 cities and lose 1, you have 4 cities, but the MNOC remains 5. If you then found or annex another city, you go back to 5, which does not increase your MNOC and therefore does not increase tech penalty either. But it has nothing to do with puppets which should not count to MNOC and/or tech penalty! :undecide: This looks like a bug to me.

See: https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues/4498

Behavior:
MNOC only non-puppet cities.
MNOC is only updated when conquering a city (before choosing to puppet)

Example 0:
You have 4 cities. MNOC is 4.
You conquer a city, you temporarily have 5 cities , so MNOC is 5, you choose to puppet it, MNOC is still 5, but you have 4 cities + 1 puppet.

Example 1:
You lose one city, MNOC is still 4, but you have 3 cities.
You conquer a city, you temporarily have 4 cities , so MNOC is 4, you choose to puppet it, MNOC is still 4, but you have 3 cities + 1 puppet.
You conquer back your city, you have 4 cities + 1 puppet, so MNOC is 4.

Example 2:
You conquer a city, you temporarily have 5 cities , so MNOC is 5, you choose to puppet it, MNOC is still 5, but you have 4 cities + 1 puppet.
You conquer another city, you temporarily have 5 cities + 1 puppet, so MNOC is 5. You choose to puppet it, MNOC is still 5, but you have 4 cities + 2 puppets.
You conquer another city, you temporarily have 5 cities + 2 puppet, so MNOC is 5. You choose to puppet it, MNOC is still 5, but you have 4 cities + 3 puppets.

Top Bottom