Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Organization policy (under Progress) states that trade units are trained 25% faster. Are GMs considered trade units and if so is their growth affected by the policy ?

What is the more precise meaning of "scaling with era" under many of the policies ? Is it double the initial amount of bonus, is it fixed percentage per era, or is it too varable to be listed for practical reasons ?

What is the more precise meaning of "scaling with era" under many of the policies ? Is it double the initial amount of bonus, is it fixed percentage per era, or is it too varable to be listed for practical reasons ?
All era scaling works the same way (except for Tributing City-States and if otherwise specified).

Let's say you have the Progress policy giving 10 Food/10 Culture when a building is constructed, scaling with era. The Classical Era is skipped in the era scaling process, but after that, it becomes 20/20 in Medieval, 30/30 in Renaissance, 40/40 in Industrial and so on. It's a linear scaling.

Organization policy (under Progress) states that trade units are trained 25% faster. Are GMs considered trade units and if so is their growth affected by the policy ?
No, Great Merchants are not considered trade units. Trade units are Caravans/Cargo Ships only.

Is the online Civilopedia at this link always accurate with the patches ?

http://civ-5-cbp.wikia.com/wiki/Civ5_CBP_Wikia

I don't always play and I like reading the mechanics off-game. Especially from work :shifty:. This helps for my preparation to higher difficulties. I will be increasing the difficulty soon but I was surprised this weekend on Prince difficulty when during the Modern era unhappiness suddenly sky-rocketed to 80 and revenue sunk by massive minus 700 gold per turn. I was badly surprised and it lasted quite many turns, like a poverty trap you can't escape from, because unhappiness further penalizes revenue stream enormously which sparks unhappiness which fuels revenue reduction which sparks unhappiness ... etc. I need to read the civilopedia.

No, happiness is calculated based on yields before any unhappiness penalty. Direct unhappiness spiral doesn't exist.

However, your infrastructure will hurt from unhappiness due to reduced gold and production, which indirectly leads to further unhappiness.

thank you, tu_79. Not sure what you mean by the planet simulator or other maps with tectonic base. You make it sound like someone actually tried to model planetary formation geophysics ....in civ 5!!

I have only 1 folder in my installation under mods that references maps, called "mapscripts". It has a single .lua file in it " communitas". Is that what i should be editing?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/guide-map-scripts.637015/

Here you can find some of the discussed map scripts with links.

Which is the best wonder for tradition, Oracle or angkor wat? Presuming you did not get hanging gardens

No, happiness is calculated based on yields before any unhappiness penalty. Direct unhappiness spiral doesn't exist.

However, your infrastructure will hurt from unhappiness due to reduced gold and production, which indirectly leads to further unhappiness.
It is kind of spiral effect because unhappiness reduces income. Reduced income lowers your median or average gold yield which triggers more unhappiness from poverty.

Fortunately it is not a spiral of doom. Obviously poverty is not the only source of unhappiness; rather unhappiness is a weighted average of several yield types. Thus you can offset poverty with higher literacy, for example, and so on.

Eventually the spiral curse will be broken in matter of time and correcting measures.

In my game the trigger of unhappiness was war and particularly the long time of razing a big city. Since I am building culture empire, my government is not well suited to offset unhappiness generated by war actions.

It is kind of spiral effect because unhappiness reduces income. Reduced income lowers your median or average gold yield which triggers more unhappiness from poverty.

No, it does not. It explicitly does not do this. I just want to make that clear - unhappiness penalties are only applied to yields at the 'national' level, whereas the calculation only looks at the city level.

G

No, it does not. It explicitly does not do this. I just want to make that clear - unhappiness penalties are only applied to yields at the 'national' level, whereas the calculation only looks at the city level.

G
It does not what ? Doesn't unhappiness reduce income at a max cap of minus 20% ?

Anyway, be it national or local, yields are always compared to the corresponding global yield averages of the world Civs. Thus a spiral effect can be identified. Though the player will certainly take correcting measures but for some time you can watch the spiralling effect in play.

It does not what ? Doesn't unhappiness reduce income at a max cap of minus 20% ?

Anyway, be it national or local, yields are always compared to the corresponding global yield averages of the world Civs. Thus a spiral effect can be identified. Though the player will certainly take correcting measures but for some time you can watch the spiralling effect in play.

I wrote the code: the national yield for outside calculations like average does not take into account unhappiness, that is calculated after the fact and for the player only.

G

I wrote the code: the national yield for outside calculations like average does not take into account unhappiness, that is calculated after the fact and for the player only.

G
If the national yield averages (which determine unhappiness from needs) ignore the reduced yields coming from unhappiness (cap - 20% yield), then a spiralling effect cannot be observed.

I wonder what made you code it this way. Do simulations show severe spiralling effects if it was coded the other way ?

If the national yield averages (which determine unhappiness from needs) ignore the reduced yields coming from unhappiness (cap - 20% yield), then a spiralling effect cannot be observed.

I wonder what made you code it this way. Do simulations show severe spiralling effects if it was coded the other way ?

No, it’s just the best way to do it.

G

(Direct) spiralling effect cannot be observed. Everything about happiness (yield used for unhappiness, yields used for the median) only care about yields before happiness is applied. (And if it happens not to be the case in practice, it would be a bug that need to be reported).
Additionally to being better balance-wise, it is also far easier to code (no "fixpoint" computation needed).

Indirect spiralling effect can still be observed:
1) Unhappiness means less gold, so less investment, so less buildings, so more unhappiness.
2) If you try to compensate distress with food, your population will grow, and you will have even more distress.
3) Too much population on a fertile land (or an island) can lead to a huge chunk of the population working food-tiles, so even more population (and unhappiness)

Where can I find Catherine's dialogue text? I know one of these mods in VP changed their responses, though one of hers has a bug and it's really annoying.

I asked her for a defensive pact and it said impossible, but I asked what she thought. She said something about her husband being dead and she's not stupid, so we "must decline ." That space before the period is extremely annoying, I'd make a PR to the github but I can't find the word husband mentioned there nor in my files at all, except in a few files that aren't related.

EDIT: found it in Localizaton-Merged.db, en_USTXT_KEY_LEADER_CATHERINE_TRADE_NO_ANGRY:
"My husband is deceased, you know: Russia is no longer ruled by an idiot. We decline ."

There's a couple other cases I found by searching for " ." in the same file as well.

Not sure where this is in the github...

Last edited:
Civilopedia says "Reconnaissance gains XP from revealing tiles". But there's nothing said, how those XP are counted. Is it a sum over several moves? Do the different types all count the same amount? I'd like to know this, because I saw that my pathfinders quite often show "0 XP" after revealing 4 or 5 tiles, then again 2 XP or 3.

Civilopedia says "Reconnaissance gains XP from revealing tiles". But there's nothing said, how those XP are counted. Is it a sum over several moves? Do the different types all count the same amount? I'd like to know this, because I saw that my pathfinders quite often show "0 XP" after revealing 4 or 5 tiles, then again 2 XP or 3.
Are you playing on quick game pace? If you were to win 1XP at standard speed, you win 1/2 XP on quick speed, but the interface only show integers, so "0XP".

In addition, does scouting promotion increase or decrease this multiplier? When visibility range is increased, more tiles are uncovered.

I don't think it changes the multiplier, you get more XP because you uncover more tiles, but the chance stays the same.

Top Bottom