Quick Questions / Quick Answers

It depends on the VC Im aiming to. If Im aiming to a Culture Victory, I definitely value bulbing more than creating GW because I will need the 2 lv3 tenet ASAP, after the 4th Writer its probably around turn 200 already so getting just 1 more culture in all cities is not as valuable as getting several thousand culture. I would time my Writers around Golden Age to have the most yield possible though. If Im going for Domination, maybe Im gonna create GW for extra food and WLTED mainly. However the culture is still very valuable to unlock more powerful tenets.

Ahh that makes sense. Thought the UA scaled with era for some reason

It depends on the VC Im aiming to. If Im aiming to a Culture Victory, I definitely value bulbing more than creating GW because I will need the 2 lv3 tenet ASAP, after the 4th Writer its probably around turn 200 already so getting just 1 more culture in all cities is not as valuable as getting several thousand culture. I would time my Writers around Golden Age to have the most yield possible though. If Im going for Domination, maybe Im gonna create GW for extra food and WLTED mainly. However the culture is still very valuable to unlock more powerful tenets.
I thought if you were going for a culture victory you wanted to rather pop great works for the tourism and theming bonuses, and if you went science or domination you don't really need great works and should rather bulb? If bulbing is better just because of getting to ideology tenets faster, maybe that's a balance issue

I thought if you were going for a culture victory you wanted to rather pop great works for the tourism and theming bonuses, and if you went science or domination you don't really need great works and should rather bulb?
I have a lot of GW and theming bonus from Archaelogist already. 2 GW of Writing can get me 10 tourism at most, but using those G.Writer for culture can get me almost 2 policies. Actually its very rare that I have 2 lv3 tenets before having influence with all civs.
Also Thief is super useful now. In my last game I can steal 6 great works using 2 thieves :eekdance:

Reactions: 4CV
I have a lot of GW and theming bonus from Archaelogist already. 2 GW of Writing can get me 10 tourism at most, but using those G.Writer for culture can get me almost 2 policies. Actually its very rare that I have 2 lv3 tenets before having influence with all civs.
Also Thief is super useful now. In my last game I can steal 6 great works using 2 thieves :eekdance:
What cities do you place thief's in? Is it best to put fully levelled spys or are level one spies effective thief's?

What cities do you place thief's in? Is it best to put fully levelled spys or are level one spies effective thief's?
I just place them in the highest vulnerable non-capital cities. Of course I use lv3 spies, lv1 spies will take ages to steal anything.

With a spy or thief, can you see what great works are in an enemy city? I modded my city view for vanilla to not show great works as the information isn't much help, and I'm still using that version - it has lots of other personal tweaks. I originally started changing it when I was playing on a pretty low resolution and every pixel saved was valuable.

Once a spy or thief has established in the city, you can see everything that the city's player can. It's like looking at the screen of one of your puppets (where you can see everything but not modify anything).

This includes seeing what great works are in the city, in the list on the right-hand side.

Can somebody explain, how theft and advance spy actions work exactly? I had alot of extra spies in my last game and did not really understand how it works. Do I have to do anything, after I send my Spy to secondary Cities for the to steal / take advanced actions? Thief will try to steal great work and spy will steal reseach/do advanced actions?

Can somebody explain, how theft and advance spy actions work exactly? I had alot of extra spies in my last game and did not really understand how it works. Do I have to do anything, after I send my Spy to secondary Cities for the to steal / take advanced actions? Thief will try to steal great work and spy will steal reseach/do advanced actions?
Advanced actions are entirely passive bonuses after you send your spy or thief to a city. Their frequency relies on the vulnerability of the city and the level of the agent. If you mouse over an agent while he's in a foreign city, you'll see more information.

Ideally there shouldn't be blatantly "overpowered" civs; if there are, people should be calling for them to be adjusted. If you want to play a steamrolling game, you could lower the difficulty, play with Legendary Start, or use map settings that blatantly support a particular civ (Incas on a map with tons of mountains, for example).

Ok, I guess I put it the wrong way. Which civs, if any, snowball the hardest? IE difficult early game and easier (or borderline imbalanced) late game, like jelling stones used to before they got fixed?

Do increases to Great Person Rate like Artistry's opener apply to Japan's UA's giving bulk GWAM points?

How bad is the diplomacy hit from quitting a DoF with a civ and then declaring war on them? What about simply quitting the DoF?

My neighbour dont even have walls yet and im in medieval and playing as china with knights, its a perfect oppurtunity. I have met all the other civs though and i dont want them to hate me for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Hey everyone sorry to butt in but... which file in particular holds the wonder changes? The one that changes what it gives you when you lose the wonder?

I just want to know what you guys would do in this situation.

I'm going for a fairly standard Tradition India game (I got burned in my last Korea one, partly because I couldn't found a Religion as the last one went on Turn 84, so that's why I'm playing India). Probably going to go for Hanging Gardens.

What pantheon would you pick in this scenario? I was feeling kind of torn before I made a decision...

Spoiler :
20190217175329_1.jpg

I just want to know what you guys would do in this situation.

I'm going for a fairly standard Tradition India game (I got burned in my last Korea one, partly because I couldn't found a Religion as the last one went on Turn 84, so that's why I'm playing India). Probably going to go for Hanging Gardens.

What pantheon would you pick in this scenario? I was feeling kind of torn before I made a decision...

Beauty Stonhenge India FTW!

1. How do I maximize the culture outcome from great writers? Is there a trick to this or can I just pop em' at any time?

1. How do I maximize the culture outcome from great writers? Is there a trick to this or can I just pop em' at any time?
Great Writer bulb scale with number of Great Works you own and Culture output in the last 5 turns. So you can time them around Golden Age (20% culture increase), and make sure you have some great works. I often pop them when I completed a few archaelogist digs :D.

Beauty Stonhenge India FTW!
This was what I was planning initially. However, I ended up actually going Sun God because of the three Wheat in my Capital (and more Wheat in my expansions) and the synergy with India.

I wonder if you think it's worth it?

Top Bottom