Quick Questions / Quick Answers

If two cities are not connected by forests when playing the Iroquois, do i have to build a full road, or can i put roads to fill the gaps? (Or am i misunderstanding how it works in general)

In VP version 12-18 I have just completed my trans-siberian railroad (From St.Petersburg to Beijing :)) with the Huns and I was very proud of it. Then I noticed that one step in the railroad consumes 0.42 movement and one step in the old plain road takes 0.33, so railroad is much slower. Is this really how it works? Don't like it. I know that there will be 3 technologies which gives faster movement on railroad but currently it does not comfort me too much. I have killed my traffic for decades. Boo-boo.

If two cities are not connected by forests when playing the Iroquois, do i have to build a full road, or can i put roads to fill the gaps? (Or am i misunderstanding how it works in general)
You can put roads to fill the gap.

In VP version 12-18 I have just completed my trans-siberian railroad (From St.Petersburg to Beijing :)) with the Huns and I was very proud of it. Then I noticed that one step in the railroad consumes 0.42 movement and one step in the old plain road takes 0.33, so railroad is much slower. Is this really how it works? Don't like it. I know that there will be 3 technologies which gives faster movement on railroad but currently it does not comfort me too much. I have killed my traffic for decades. Boo-boo.
Something about how trains were really inefficient at the start compared to the best roads, but as technology progressed railroads outpaced roads.

(Did not want to make a new Threat in the strategy forum cause not much happened in the game so far:

First Time playing celts, so I am not sure about their Pantheon. I choose Ogma because the yields in my capital are really helpfull right now and later on I can use the +5 science on C. Hall really well too keep up in techs for fighting.

I choose Authority because with spain and rome as neighbors I will have to fight 10/10. I built a Monument in Capitel and a UU + bought another UU to get Faith.

Attachments

• King Celts.png
    King Celts.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 77
Something about how trains were really inefficient at the start compared to the best roads, but as technology progressed railroads outpaced roads.

Possible IRL explanations aside, is that intended behavior? Is there a point in the game where building a railroad is "bad" compared to leaving it as a road?

Last time I played Iroquois in BNW you actually needed to build a section of the road in forest. For some reason, transitioning from one road system to another screws up the move. It's probably still the case, because I found a similar situation with Songhai river roads in November. In addition with them, river crossing still sucks a full movement from military and will end the turn of a civilian unit, when a bridge made from two road sections does not.

Possible IRL explanations aside, is that intended behavior? Is there a point in the game where building a railroad is "bad" compared to leaving it as a road?
Yes, this has been intended multiple times. It's to prevent people from mass-railroading and basically auto-winning the movement system. As you later progressed, trains start getting more efficient and dominate better than the route system.

Yes, this has been intended multiple times. It's to prevent people from mass-railroading and basically auto-winning the movement system. As you later progressed, trains start getting more efficient and dominate better than the route system.
This does not make much sense to me. What is wrong with mass-railroading and how does it auto-win the ... movement system? Shouldn't the railroads start at least at the same movement ratio as the roads?

Maybe this info should also be included in the new tutorial system?

Last time I played Iroquois in BNW you actually needed to build a section of the road in forest. For some reason, transitioning from one road system to another screws up the move. It's probably still the case, because I found a similar situation with Songhai river roads in November. In addition with them, river crossing still sucks a full movement from military and will end the turn of a civilian unit, when a bridge made from two road sections does not.
Yes this is still the case. You have to build the road into a forest tile to get the movement boost, but it's not needed for city connections.

I thought they only have a paradrop distance of 40.

The best roads weren't ripped up to put down rails for "inefficient trains".

If playing on a map with players on a single continent, will the AI expand to the other once the tech becomes available?

If playing on a map with players on a single continent, will the AI expand to the other once the tech becomes available?
It should. At least, if I remember correctly, some of the devs worked hard last year to make it possible, so if this "feature" was broken by a later change, you should report it as a bug.

I stoled 3 hex to a CS using a great general and citadel, one of the hex had a gold mine; about a hundred game turns after, the hex with the gold mine returned to CS; how can that happens? I'm sure the CS has not used a great general/citadel. I was knownledge that only US civ can buy other players hex.

Top Bottom