Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Does all instant yields that "Scales with Era" scale at the same rate?

Someone on the subreddit asked about Authority yields and it made me go test the "Gain 40 Science and culture, scaling with Era and population" bonus of the Imperium policy on the Authority tree. Conquering a 8 pop city in the Medieval Era gave me 160 yields each and conquering a 2 pop city gave me 80 yields each, so I'm curious what the actual calculation is.

Someone on the subreddit asked about Authority yields and it made me go test the "Gain 40 Science and culture, scaling with Era and population" bonus of the Imperium policy on the Authority tree. Conquering a 8 pop city in the Medieval Era gave me 160 yields each and conquering a 2 pop city gave me 80 yields each, so I'm curious what the actual calculation is.
Capturing an 8 population city in the Medieval Era. (Gain 40 * 8 Population/2(Divisor) * 2 (Medieval Era) = 320 Science and Culture)
Capturing a 2 population city in the same Medieval Era. (Gain 40 * 2 Population/2(Divisor) * 2 (Medieval Era) = 80 Science and Culture).

Found out the Scaling with Population seems to differ between Assyria and that Policy right now. Hmmm...

The calculation right now is
BaseYield * ( :c5citizen: /2 - EraMod) * EraMod
BUT
Assyria calculates as:
BaseYield * :c5citizen: * EraMod directly without an issue.

Last edited:

Engineers note above as a possible bug (and so small exception to the rule), to answer your question, the "Scale with Era" modifier is consistent across mechanics.

Aka anything that is "Scales with Era" is X * era modifier, where era modifier =

1 - Ancient
1 - Classical
2 - Medieval
3 - Renaissance
4 - Industrial
5 - Modern
6 - Atomic
7 - Information

Ok so I've wrote a few sql queries to modify my game, meaning the changes made by some other mods. I'd like to make it work as a mod, meaning having it the C:\Users\<my_user>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder and thus appearing in the mod list in game. The folder only contains the .sql file, a .docx that lists all the changes, and the .modinfo file.
As i'm not making it with ModBuddy or any other modding tool (too lazy to chase those visual studio components from 2010 to make it work) I've wrote the .modinfo by hand, coping the md5 hashcodes from the modinfo files of other mods and adding them in the <Files> section. I also generated my mod id and the 2 files IDs with an online generator. Right now, my modinfo file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="fa114200-2e5c-45d7-870d-024c888872c7" version="1">
<Properties>
<Name>Ianjax's Civ V Modpack Rebalancer</Name>
<Stability>Beta</Stability>
<Teaser>This mods rebalances other mods</Teaser>
<Description>This is my 50 cents on how a series of mod I use (at the time this mod was made) should be rebalanced, based mostly on personal preference.[NEWLINE]
Note that the required mods listed are but a part of the mods I use, and i'm not even sure if they are strictly necessary, but they are those whose content has undergone some major changes, so consider them as mandatory to have (especially VP and VP related/dependant ones.[NEWLINE]
All the changes where achieved by simple SQL queries, so no ddl or major gameplay files should be affected.</Description>
<Authors>Ianjax</Authors>
<HideSetupGame>0</HideSetupGame>
<AffectsSavedGames>1</AffectsSavedGames>
<MinCompatibleSaveVersion>0</MinCompatibleSaveVersion>
<SupportsSinglePlayer>1</SupportsSinglePlayer>
<SupportsMultiplayer>1</SupportsMultiplayer>
<SupportsHotSeat>1</SupportsHotSeat>
<SupportsMac>1</SupportsMac>
<ReloadAudioSystem>0</ReloadAudioSystem>
<ReloadLandmarkSystem>0</ReloadLandmarkSystem>
<ReloadStrategicViewSystem>0</ReloadStrategicViewSystem>
<ReloadUnitSystem>0</ReloadUnitSystem>
</Properties>
<Dependencies>
<Mod id="d1b6328c-ff44-4b0d-aad7-c657f83610cd" minversion="117" maxversion="999" title="(1) Community Patch" />
<Mod id="8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799" minversion="16" maxversion="999" title="(2) Vox Populi" />
<Mod id="6521c02b-1c78-4826-a5b0-faed86235e98" minversion="1" maxversion="999" title="(3b) 43 Civs Community Patch" />
<Mod id="fa114200-2e5c-45d7-870d-024c888872c7" minversion="6" maxversion="999" title="(4a) Promotion Icons for VP" />
<Mod id="1f0a153b-26ae-4496-a2c0-a106d9b43c95" minversion="22" maxversion="999" title="(4b) UI - Promotion Tree for VP" />
<Mod id="87b2deae-83cb-9b88-9017-79e741d3739c" minversion="8" maxversion="999" title="(overhaul) Enlightenment Era (Vox Populi) v8" />
<Mod id="675ba5ec-dc5a-400f-9864-8170568d04e5" minversion="2" maxversion="999" title="Infixo's Enhanced Naval Warfare for Vox Populi(v 2.1)" />
<Mod id="5a5a2637-0e30-49a9-bc38-b5dbffd0abb7" minversion="17" maxversion="999" title="Great Spy (Brave New World) (v 17)" />
<Mod id="8670da15-d435-44ea-9758-7438cb321411" minversion="27" maxversion="999" title="R.E.D Modpack v27" />
<Mod id="00795240-68a6-4784-8605-8708152976b9" minversion="3" maxversion="999" title="Shipyard and Naval Officer Academy ENI Companion Mod I (v3)" />
<Mod id="1be80570-660c-4014-a0da-35464f713e04" minversion="1" maxversion="999" title="Venetian Doge's Palace (v 1)" />
<Mod id="debe43ae-4bc9-4b62-b10a-58bcd9fe4495" minversion="1" maxversion="999" title="Venetian Piazza San Marco (v 1)" />
<Dependencies />
<References />
<Blocks />
<Files>
<File md5="A986DE88EECE07D5D817F845FC210EDA" import="1">ICVMR.sql</File>
<File md5="259D4B1B7AA5F4369287179F985A7595" import="1">ICVMR.docx</File>
</Files>
<Actions>
<OnModActivated>
<UpdateDatabase>ICVMR.sql</UpdateDatabase>
</OnModActivated>
</Actions>
</Mod>

The problem is, there is no trace of my "mod" in the mod list. I've tried some things like deleting the Civ5ModsDatabase.db, but nothing has worked thus far. Any idea on how to fix this?

Ok so I've wrote a few sql queries to modify my game, meaning the changes made by some other mods. I'd like to make it work as a mod, meaning having it the C:\Users\<my_user>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder and thus appearing in the mod list in game. The folder only contains the .sql file, a .docx that lists all the changes, and the .modinfo file.
As i'm not making it with ModBuddy or any other modding tool (too lazy to chase those visual studio components from 2010 to make it work) I've wrote the .modinfo by hand, coping the md5 hashcodes from the modinfo files of other mods and adding them in the <Files> section. I also generated my mod id and the 2 files IDs with an online generator. Right now, my modinfo file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="fa114200-2e5c-45d7-870d-024c888872c7" version="1">
<Properties>
<Name>Ianjax's Civ V Modpack Rebalancer</Name>
<Stability>Beta</Stability>
<Teaser>This mods rebalances other mods</Teaser>
<Description>This is my 50 cents on how a series of mod I use (at the time this mod was made) should be rebalanced, based mostly on personal preference.[NEWLINE]
Note that the required mods listed are but a part of the mods I use, and i'm not even sure if they are strictly necessary, but they are those whose content has undergone some major changes, so consider them as mandatory to have (especially VP and VP related/dependant ones.[NEWLINE]
All the changes where achieved by simple SQL queries, so no ddl or major gameplay files should be affected.</Description>
<Authors>Ianjax</Authors>
<HideSetupGame>0</HideSetupGame>
<AffectsSavedGames>1</AffectsSavedGames>
<MinCompatibleSaveVersion>0</MinCompatibleSaveVersion>
<SupportsSinglePlayer>1</SupportsSinglePlayer>
<SupportsMultiplayer>1</SupportsMultiplayer>
<SupportsHotSeat>1</SupportsHotSeat>
<SupportsMac>1</SupportsMac>
<ReloadAudioSystem>0</ReloadAudioSystem>
<ReloadLandmarkSystem>0</ReloadLandmarkSystem>
<ReloadStrategicViewSystem>0</ReloadStrategicViewSystem>
<ReloadUnitSystem>0</ReloadUnitSystem>
</Properties>
<Dependencies>
<Mod id="d1b6328c-ff44-4b0d-aad7-c657f83610cd" minversion="117" maxversion="999" title="(1) Community Patch" />
<Mod id="8411a7a8-dad3-4622-a18e-fcc18324c799" minversion="16" maxversion="999" title="(2) Vox Populi" />
<Mod id="6521c02b-1c78-4826-a5b0-faed86235e98" minversion="1" maxversion="999" title="(3b) 43 Civs Community Patch" />
<Mod id="fa114200-2e5c-45d7-870d-024c888872c7" minversion="6" maxversion="999" title="(4a) Promotion Icons for VP" />
<Mod id="1f0a153b-26ae-4496-a2c0-a106d9b43c95" minversion="22" maxversion="999" title="(4b) UI - Promotion Tree for VP" />
<Mod id="87b2deae-83cb-9b88-9017-79e741d3739c" minversion="8" maxversion="999" title="(overhaul) Enlightenment Era (Vox Populi) v8" />
<Mod id="675ba5ec-dc5a-400f-9864-8170568d04e5" minversion="2" maxversion="999" title="Infixo's Enhanced Naval Warfare for Vox Populi(v 2.1)" />
<Mod id="5a5a2637-0e30-49a9-bc38-b5dbffd0abb7" minversion="17" maxversion="999" title="Great Spy (Brave New World) (v 17)" />
<Mod id="8670da15-d435-44ea-9758-7438cb321411" minversion="27" maxversion="999" title="R.E.D Modpack v27" />
<Mod id="00795240-68a6-4784-8605-8708152976b9" minversion="3" maxversion="999" title="Shipyard and Naval Officer Academy ENI Companion Mod I (v3)" />
<Mod id="1be80570-660c-4014-a0da-35464f713e04" minversion="1" maxversion="999" title="Venetian Doge's Palace (v 1)" />
<Mod id="debe43ae-4bc9-4b62-b10a-58bcd9fe4495" minversion="1" maxversion="999" title="Venetian Piazza San Marco (v 1)" />
<Dependencies />
<References />
<Blocks />
<Files>
<File md5="A986DE88EECE07D5D817F845FC210EDA" import="1">ICVMR.sql</File>
<File md5="259D4B1B7AA5F4369287179F985A7595" import="1">ICVMR.docx</File>
</Files>
<Actions>
<OnModActivated>
<UpdateDatabase>ICVMR.sql</UpdateDatabase>
</OnModActivated>
</Actions>
</Mod>

The problem is, there is no trace of my "mod" in the mod list. I've tried some things like deleting the Civ5ModsDatabase.db, but nothing has worked thus far. Any idea on how to fix this?
Hmmm.....
1685583941071.png

Are you sure you closed the element properly?
Hint: Look at the <Dependencies /> on line 36.

what is the "near terryfing opponent" bonus from? I read in a post here from years ago that machine and gatling guns provide it, but cant find anything about that in the ingame info. Thanks a lot

Machine and gatling guns provide a different version called "suppressed fire". Terrifying opponents are the maori warrior (from Polynesia), and the mounted elephant, which is unlocked at the same tech as horseman, but require nearby ivory to be built. There might be other UUs with it, thought.

Thanks for the answear. Thats weird. It was a bonus China had while I was attacking her. I dont have a save file to that game anymore to double check. Ill keep an eye if it happens again.

It might written as "suppress fire" in promotion, but still "terrifying opponent" when looking to CS. So it could come from gatling guns, I don't remember for sure.

:D aaaaaaaahh, not checking EOF delimiters, after all these years...a classic. it shows now, thank you. Unfortunately it says i cant activate it because i'm missing required dependencies, which i'm pretty sure i'm not, as I wrote it myself and decided which, amongst those i have, are required/strongly recommended to have. I'll get to the bottom of it.

EDIT: Another distraction error: I had, in a copy-paste rush, pasted my mod id in the mod id field of one of the dependencies. Now, its all coming togheter.
EDIT 2: I completely broke the game lol, it loads and a first glance works fine, but beside not actually changing anything, it completely breaks the tech tree/panel. Yay...

Last edited:
AFAIK resource diversity from trade route is a bonus depending on the number of resources (bonus and luxury) that is present in one city but not the other (either the outgoing or incoming city)
Thanks for reply. So it means the more unique luxury and bonus resources my city has, the more gold I get?

I noticed that, after I updated VP to the last patch (3.6.1 i think) the VPUI tips dont work anymore and i get them all in "TXT_KEY_VPUI_TIP_19". In the file it says:
<!-- VPUI Tips -->
<!-- Make sure all numbers are filled, refer the amount of number on the ContentSwitch.lua file -->
<!-- Otherwise you may see something like TXT_KEY_VPUI_TIP_19 on the tip text -->
But I cant find the ContentSwitch.lua file in any VP related folder, does anyone know where it is?

I noticed that, after I updated VP to the last patch (3.6.1 i think) the VPUI tips dont work anymore and i get them all in "TXT_KEY_VPUI_TIP_19". In the file it says:
<!-- VPUI Tips -->
<!-- Make sure all numbers are filled, refer the amount of number on the ContentSwitch.lua file -->
<!-- Otherwise you may see something like TXT_KEY_VPUI_TIP_19 on the tip text -->
But I cant find the ContentSwitch.lua file in any VP related folder, does anyone know where it is?
It's in the DLC folder. There's a VPUI folder that contains the ContentSwitch.lua file.
If you're talking about the tip text, they can be found here:
1685629668566.png

Thanks for reply. So it means the more unique luxury and bonus resources my city has, the more gold I get?
Yes, as long as the destination city does not have them ; same for the destination city : cities with a lot of resources (which your own city does not have) are good targets.
Someone could confirm this, I'm not 100% sure (more like 96.37%).

It's in the DLC folder. There's a VPUI folder that contains the ContentSwitch.lua file.
If you're talking about the tip text, they can be found here:
View attachment 663662
Ok found it, but the tips_count is 33, so it seems correct. Although im not familiar with LUA files, there seems to be nothing else related to number missmatches that could cause the issue, based on the advice given in the files containing the texts

Ok found it, but the tips_count is 33, so it seems correct. Although im not familiar with LUA files, there seems to be nothing else related to number missmatches that could cause the issue, based on the advice given in the files containing the texts
But the amount of tip texts is 33, so what do you want to do with it?
The Lua file randomizes the number between 1 - tips_count (in this case is 33.)

But the amount of tip texts is 33, so what do you want to do with it?
The Lua file randomizes the number between 1 - tips_count (in this case is 33.)
My point was, maybe as suggested in <!-- Make sure all numbers are filled, refer the amount of number on the ContentSwitch.lua file --> , what was causing the game to not load the texts of the tips, resulting in: <!-- Otherwise you may see something like TXT_KEY_VPUI_TIP_19 on the tip text --> this behaviour, was a missmatch with the number(s) specified in the LUA file, but for what I can see, that's not the case. Said file looks like this atm:
-- Table of Vox Populi tips -- Update this when adding new tips local tips_count = 33; -- Localize stuff for performance reason local L = Locale.ConvertTextKey; local math_random = math.random; local math_randomseed = math.randomseed; local os_time = os.time; local g_TipType = { "TIP"--, "QUOTE", "FUNFACT", "HISTORY" } local g_ColorVPTip = { TIP = "[COLOR:198:136:50:255]"--, QUOTE = "[COLOR_MAGENTA]", FUNFACT = "[COLOR_YELLOW]", HISTORY = "[COLOR_CYAN]" }; function GetVPTip() math_randomseed(os_time()); -- random initialize math_random(); math_random(); math_random(); -- warming up local iTipType = math_random(#g_TipType) return g_TipType[iTipType] end function VPTipTitle() return g_ColorVPTip[GetVPTip()] .. L('TXT_KEY_VPUI_TITLE_' .. GetVPTip()) .. '[ENDCOLOR]' end function VPTipText() local iTipText = 0 if GetVPTip() == "TIP" then iTipText = math_random(1, tips_count) --[[ elseif GetVPTip() == "QUOTE" then iTipText = math_random(1, 4) elseif GetVPTip() == "FUNFACT" then iTipText = math_random(1, 8) elseif GetVPTip() == "HISTORY" then iTipText = math_random(1, 16) --]] end return g_ColorVPTip[GetVPTip()] .. L('TXT_KEY_VPUI_' .. GetVPTip() .. '_' .. iTipText) .. '[ENDCOLOR]' end ------------------------------------------------- -- ContentSwitch ------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- function OnShowHide( isHide, isInit ) if(not isHide) then end Controls.Title:SetText(VPTipTitle()) -- Vox Populi tip title Controls.Tips:SetText(VPTipText()) -- Vox Populi tip content Controls.ContentSwitchGrid:SetSizeY( 290 ) -- Reset the size every time this UI appears local contentsize = Controls.Tips:GetSize().y if contentsize > 32 then -- This is the Tips box Y size, if the Tips box Y size is more than 32 pixel Controls.ContentSwitchGrid:SetSizeY( 290 + contentsize ) -- Resize the ContentSwitchGrid Y size with the Tips box Y size end end ContextPtr:SetShowHideHandler( OnShowHide );

I tried formatting it a bit here for the sake of space saving, can u see something off that could be the cause of it?

My point was, maybe as suggested in <!-- Make sure all numbers are filled, refer the amount of number on the ContentSwitch.lua file --> , what was causing the game to not load the texts of the tips, resulting in: <!-- Otherwise you may see something like TXT_KEY_VPUI_TIP_19 on the tip text --> this behaviour, was a missmatch with the number(s) specified in the LUA file, but for what I can see, that's not the case. Said file looks like this atm:
-- Table of Vox Populi tips -- Update this when adding new tips local tips_count = 33; -- Localize stuff for performance reason local L = Locale.ConvertTextKey; local math_random = math.random; local math_randomseed = math.randomseed; local os_time = os.time; local g_TipType = { "TIP"--, "QUOTE", "FUNFACT", "HISTORY" } local g_ColorVPTip = { TIP = "[COLOR:198:136:50:255]"--, QUOTE = "[COLOR_MAGENTA]", FUNFACT = "[COLOR_YELLOW]", HISTORY = "[COLOR_CYAN]" }; function GetVPTip() math_randomseed(os_time()); -- random initialize math_random(); math_random(); math_random(); -- warming up local iTipType = math_random(#g_TipType) return g_TipType[iTipType] end function VPTipTitle() return g_ColorVPTip[GetVPTip()] .. L('TXT_KEY_VPUI_TITLE_' .. GetVPTip()) .. '[ENDCOLOR]' end function VPTipText() local iTipText = 0 if GetVPTip() == "TIP" then iTipText = math_random(1, tips_count) --[[ elseif GetVPTip() == "QUOTE" then iTipText = math_random(1, 4) elseif GetVPTip() == "FUNFACT" then iTipText = math_random(1, 8) elseif GetVPTip() == "HISTORY" then iTipText = math_random(1, 16) --]] end return g_ColorVPTip[GetVPTip()] .. L('TXT_KEY_VPUI_' .. GetVPTip() .. '_' .. iTipText) .. '[ENDCOLOR]' end ------------------------------------------------- -- ContentSwitch ------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- function OnShowHide( isHide, isInit ) if(not isHide) then end Controls.Title:SetText(VPTipTitle()) -- Vox Populi tip title Controls.Tips:SetText(VPTipText()) -- Vox Populi tip content Controls.ContentSwitchGrid:SetSizeY( 290 ) -- Reset the size every time this UI appears local contentsize = Controls.Tips:GetSize().y if contentsize > 32 then -- This is the Tips box Y size, if the Tips box Y size is more than 32 pixel Controls.ContentSwitchGrid:SetSizeY( 290 + contentsize ) -- Resize the ContentSwitchGrid Y size with the Tips box Y size end end ContextPtr:SetShowHideHandler( OnShowHide );

I tried formatting it a bit here for the sake of space saving, can u see something off that could be the cause of it?
I'm the one who wrote the thing. And it works flawlessly for me.
Also, don't mess with the comments and spacing. Your changes caused so many errors.

1685644950089.png

I'm the one who wrote the thing. And it works flawlessly for me.
Also, don't mess with the comments and spacing. Your changes caused so many errors.

View attachment 663682
I didnt notice the "--" where messing it . Still, I only spaced it here in the forum to make my post shorter/ easier to read, I didnt modify the actual file anytime after patching VP last time. Nor before, as i didnt even know where it was located.

Top Bottom