• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Questions , Quick Answers

To a degree, I sort of like that civs that develop from barbarians are behind. It makes for an interesting scenario with "start in old world", as barbarians in the new world can develop into civilizations ripe for conquering, like the Incas and Aztecs in the real world.

By the way, I know it's not as good as it could be, but WFL and tech diffusion can help upstart nations catch up a bit. Maybe these settings can be adjusted for this purpose.

On an unrelated note, what exactly does human sacrifice do? I thought it was just extra happiness, but from what I have been reading here, it seems there is an effect similar to a golden age? Also, does cannibalism offer anything other than the butcher option for captives? It currently seems very weak, even in the prehistoric era.

By the way, I know it's not as good as it could be, but WFL and tech diffusion can help upstart nations catch up a bit. Maybe these settings can be adjusted for this purpose.
They already are! And do quite well in this regard too.

been 15+ years since i coded in C++
how can i help to build the AI

1= AI should send army and not individual troops
2= should attack cities
3= should attack enemy army with sieze weapons
When are they Not doing this??? I just posted a whole string of screenshots showing the Barbs doing these very things. :hmm:

EDIT: Okay! I get it, you want the AI to slaughter you before you hit Ancient Era. My bad sorry.

Last edited:

2= should attack cities
Are you sure you aren't stuck on V38.1?
Check if tech tree has backgrounds :p
Also check if you aren't on Settler handicap.

Sarcasm aside update to latest SVN.

2= should attack cities
You will need to fully understand the ai as it is before you can make adjustments. I have some large scale overhauls to do that will make it better at these things but it does do them - just why it sometimes does and other times doesn't is an interesting study.

When are they Not doing this??? I just posted a whole string of screenshots showing the Barbs doing these very things. :hmm:

EDIT: Okay! I get it, you want the AI to slaughter you before you hit Ancient Era. My bad sorry.

i am winning in domination mode in nightmare.. the AI will be so ahead in tech that i stop researching and keep capturing their cities for technology

Are you sure you aren't stuck on V38.1?
Check if tech tree has backgrounds :p
Also check if you aren't on Settler handicap.

Sarcasm aside update to latest SVN.

ran a SVN checkout... a guess i am on latest

You will need to fully understand the ai as it is before you can make adjustments. I have some large scale overhauls to do that will make it better at these things but it does do them - just why it sometimes does and other times doesn't is an interesting study.

maybe because i use increasing difficulty... i start in level 7 and let it scale up to nightmare in 200 turns

Need to find out what other Options are being used on Set up too.

playing on Emperor. It seems that all AI's criminals are quite strengthened (bandit raider with strength 15 and Highwayman - 30 both with incredible retreat chance). I'm not sure but it looks like they are a single (not merged) unit. Is it difficulty feature?
Now I have no idea how to deal with Outlaws and Street gangs in future=)

playing on Emperor. It seems that all AI's criminals are quite strengthened (bandit raider with strength 15 and Highwayman - 30 both with incredible retreat chance). I'm not sure but it looks like they are a single (not merged) unit. Is it difficulty feature?
Now I have no idea how to deal with Outlaws and Street gangs in future=)
Those aren't criminals. They are Ruffians. In Size Matters, Ruffians cannot merge but start off a size cat higher than they normally would so are a bit strong, but still no match for a double-merged military unit of comparable tech level.

Criminals are at a few points (Assassins and Cutthroats) starting off at normal size cat rather than the one lower they usually do (and that law enforcement units do) so they are a bit tougher than the LE units at that stage but not if you have a high quality LE unit or two. Otherwise you can send some waves of LE units in to arrest and usually get through eventually. OR you can try to assassinate other assassins/cutthroats with your own. That may not yet be possible... not sure. It will be after the unit review is complete.

So... it appears that unlocking access to Neanderthal units (after building the local culture building?) blocks me from building human units. How do I build humans again? Do I need to demolish the local culture "building"?

Those aren't criminals. They are Ruffians. In Size Matters, Ruffians cannot merge but start off a size cat higher than they normally would so are a bit strong, but still no match for a double-merged military unit of comparable tech level.

Criminals are at a few points (Assassins and Cutthroats) starting off at normal size cat rather than the one lower they usually do (and that law enforcement units do) so they are a bit tougher than the LE units at that stage but not if you have a high quality LE unit or two. Otherwise you can send some waves of LE units in to arrest and usually get through eventually. OR you can try to assassinate other assassins/cutthroats with your own. That may not yet be possible... not sure. It will be after the unit review is complete.
I remember how assassinated street and biker gangs with my Hezbollah. But there was trouble with "wanted" promotion, so the unit became useless and can't assassinate anymore. Is there any way to remove this promo?

By the way, those Highwaymen kills my merged musketman and dragoon (of course without counter Ruffians promo, but still). I managed to change AI's civics by diplomacy, to avoid it spamming them. But it doesn't work. So the only way to stop this is to destroy now all hideouts with a spy?

So... it appears that unlocking access to Neanderthal units (after building the local culture building?) blocks me from building human units. How do I build humans again? Do I need to demolish the local culture "building"?

In the BUG settings there is an option to hide obsoleted units, those should appear again if you disable it.

But there was trouble with "wanted" promotion, so the unit became useless and can't assassinate anymore. Is there any way to remove this promo?
Get the unit out of sight of the country that made them 'wanted' to begin with, unless it's you, in which case you have to get the unit out of your borders. Spend a round like that with your unit and they'll lose the wanted status.
By the way, those Highwaymen kills my merged musketman and dragoon (of course without counter Ruffians promo, but still).
They shouldn't be so capable of killing double merged units or more. You are aware you can merge 3 units into one then 3 of that merged level (total of 9) into another merged level higher, then 3 of THOSE levels into another level higher and so on, right? At the beginning of the game you can only merge once because you can merge or split as many times as the era count you're in, so in Prehistoric, just once. In ancient, twice. In Classical 3 times and so on. Thus these Highwaymen, while immediately strong, are really nothing to a heavily merged military unit.

In the BUG settings there is an option to hide obsoleted units, those should appear again if you disable it.

I've moved into the Ancient era, so it's too late to test it, but does this still work on units for which there is no Neanderthal replacement? For example, atlatlists don't show up in the build list of my Neanderthal-culture city, but they do in my newly captured city.

Are space units usable on regular non-space maps? I build satellite and shuttle units and just don't know what to do with them, they have no options like "fly on orbit", or "build an orbital station" . Moon rover has an option "send to the Moon" (I hope it really sends it, not just kills), and where is an option for others?

Are space units usable on regular non-space maps? I build satellite and shuttle units and just don't know what to do with them, they have no options like "fly on orbit", or "build an orbital station" . Moon rover has an option "send to the Moon" (I hope it really sends it, not just kills), and where is an option for others?
Space units are absolutely useless on regular games.

There is help tooltip on them, unless it was removed.

Top Bottom