Quick Questions , Quick Answers

What sorts of benefits are there for founding cities on rivers?
The obvious is the fresh water source, and the river port buildings can be powerful.

I have a small 4-workable-tile river on a coast, and I'm considering placing my city 1 tile off of it to gain access to a fish and oil in the sea.

Rivers open up certain buildings and wonders.

I was able to find the BuildingInfos file and search all buildings that needed a river. Looks like those bridge buildings, river port, the early sanitation buildings, a bunch of food buildings (most only put food on the river tiles IIRC), and a few other misc buildings. I'm not worried about the wonders bcs I've been using C2C_World with additional rivers.

I think I'll settle it for the fish/oil and see how it goes. It may not be worth the opportunity cost of building all those buildings just for increased yields on 4 tiles. Also, the fish/oil spot will leave more tiles for adjacent cities to work

Rivers, and rivers with coast also generate trade and trade routes as the techs are made available.

What are my options with burned forests? Do they regrow (I do play with the forest growth option)? If they do, it seems to take a long time, and they can't take a lumbermill in the mean time... might make sense just to clear it so I can get an improvement on the tile.

What are my options with burned forests? Do they regrow (I do play with the forest growth option)? If they do, it seems to take a long time, and they can't take a lumbermill in the mean time... might make sense just to clear it so I can get an improvement on the tile.
They will eventually regrow in stages.

I have a question. When burnt forests turn into young forests what forest type spawns after the young forest? Regular, pine, or taiga? Also if a jungle turns into burnt forest does it become a young forest and later some kind of forest other than jungle?

I have a question. When burnt forests turn into young forests what forest type spawns after the young forest? Regular, pine, or taiga? Also if a jungle turns into burnt forest does it become a young forest and later some kind of forest other than jungle?
I thought I had made it handle varieties, but I must have forgotten to actually write that code so it only ever made leafy forests, I've fixed this on git now. (Edit: also on SVN now)

P.S. Ancient forest can turn into jungle if the terrain is correct (not taiga or plains basically), though the probability for that to happen is real low, it is more likely the ancient forest burn down than it becoming a jungle.
Jungles don't burn down, I might make it do that with a low prob. and add in another low probability for forest to become jungle if terrain is lush or something, but for now jungles don't burn.

Last edited:
What creates the "Myth Effect - Horse" ? I want to build a breeding pair, but it says that I need a horse breeder, which requires a horse trainer (which I have) and a "Myth Effect - Horse" but I can't see anything in the pedia about how to get this myth effect? I have horses within my city limits and I have them improved with roads back to my city. The "Horse" resource is clearly marked in my city as an available resource. I have all the way to Wheels researched (and then some). So why am I missing the "Myth Effect - Horse"?

What creates the "Myth Effect - Horse" ? I want to build a breeding pair, but it says that I need a horse breeder, which requires a horse trainer (which I have) and a "Myth Effect - Horse" but I can't see anything in the pedia about how to get this myth effect? I have horses within my city limits and I have them improved with roads back to my city. The "Horse" resource is clearly marked in my city as an available resource. I have all the way to Wheels researched (and then some). So why am I missing the "Myth Effect - Horse"?
Buildings don't list what gives them.
Look at Myth - Horse instead.

Does any one know the source of of the music SA_Early? It plays during the leader screens of South American leaders like the Mayans. I can't find it anywhere and I kind of dig the flutes.

Does any one know the source of of the music SA_Early? It plays during the leader screens of South American leaders like the Mayans. I can't find it anywhere and I kind of dig the flutes.

Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Sounds/Diplomacy

In that file if you scroll down you will find an mp3 of SA_Early. You can than copy and paste it to your play list if you want. Or send it through Google Docs or something from your PC to your Phone if you want to listen to it there.

Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Sounds/Diplomacy

In that file if you scroll down you will find an mp3 of SA_Early. You can than copy and paste it to your play list if you want. Or send it through Google Docs or something from your PC to your Phone if you want to listen to it there.
Yeah, sorry, I think I didn't explain myself too well. I did find the file, I was just wondering if it is an actual song or if there is a longer version of it somewhere.

Any thoughts on modifying the unit Exile? Seems like a balancing issue to me where civs can create an invisible unit that can destroy workers and improvements and there's no way to detect them until several columns later (thief) or almost to the end of prehistoric (cat/dog domestication). The only alternative is to make a regular unit like brutes and just park them on tiles so that exiles can't attack.

I just got the SVN set up, started a game and got hit with the exile attacks and quit immediately in annoyance. I'll go back and use the parking brutes method, but the whole situation seems off from both a balance perspective and a realism perspective. Maybe make exiles a no-nationality unit like neanderthals and remove invisibility?

Any thoughts on modifying the unit Exile? Seems like a balancing issue to me where civs can create an invisible unit that can destroy workers and improvements and there's no way to detect them until several columns later (thief) or almost to the end of prehistoric (cat/dog domestication). The only alternative is to make a regular unit like brutes and just park them on tiles so that exiles can't attack.

I just got the SVN set up, started a game and got hit with the exile attacks and quit immediately in annoyance. I'll go back and use the parking brutes method, but the whole situation seems off from both a balance perspective and a realism perspective. Maybe make exiles a no-nationality unit like neanderthals and remove invisibility?
It's Enforcers that can see them. They are using a different invisibility type than Camo.

It's Enforcers that can see them. They are using a different invisibility type than Camo.

I will have to test it out on the current SVN, but on base 40.1 my experience was that Enforcers could only have a chance of detecting them each turn on the same tile (mostly useful for cities), but essentially would never see them in the field to protect workers or improvements. I am NOT using the Hide and Seek mod if that makes a difference.

I will have to test it out on the current SVN, but on base 40.1 my experience was that Enforcers could only have a chance of detecting them each turn on the same tile (mostly useful for cities), but essentially would never see them in the field to protect workers or improvements. I am NOT using the Hide and Seek mod if that makes a difference.
You should have one using the buildup that increases their ability to see through disguise and it will extend how far our you can see them.

Without hide and seek, I think the earliest unit that can see exiles/thief/etc in the field are trained dog, and the thief unit.
Many more units are capable of seeing them with hide and seek, but they'll need more promotions to be capable of it, and being able to see one thief doesn't mean the unit can see all thieves as it is without hide and seek..
Without hide and seek there are very few promotions that affect (in)visibility.

This hasn't changed since v40.1.
Would be just a small xml change to make watcher\enforcers\etc capable of seeing thieves and exiles without hide and seek.
Would just have to add this one line to their xml entries: <SeeInvisible>INVISIBLE_CAMOUFLAGE</SeeInvisible>
You should have one using the buildup that increases their ability to see through disguise and it will extend how far our you can see them.
Those buildups doesn't exist when not playing with hide and seek.

Last edited:
Top Bottom