Quick Questions , Quick Answers

Unless the unit is in a watchtower type improvement, that's when spot range improvements are truly useful.
True, just keep in mind there is an absolute range maximum as well that modifiers cannot push past... I can't recall what that max actually is but I believe its either 5 or 6 IIRC.

is there a hover / helicopter worker which can help me develop the tiny 1-2 tile lakes?

is there a hover / helicopter worker which can help me develop the tiny 1-2 tile lakes?
No. There is not much you can do with those lakes anyway.

I want to gift a city to one of my vassals, but when I go into the trade screen, no cities show up for trade. I can however "liberate" that city to another one of my vassals. Is there any way I can just gift it to vassal #1? Why aren't other cities showing up for trade too?

How merging works with existing xp and promotions? Do all promotions gone after merging? or if 3 units have same promotions, merged unit will keep it?

How merging works with existing xp and promotions? Do all promotions gone after merging? or if 3 units have same promotions, merged unit will keep it?
Yes if all 3 have the same promo, they keep it. Others are removed, but the XP they used to qualify for them is also returned, like with other promos that are no longer qualified for.

merge.jpg

So in this example, I had 1 lvl 4 and 2 lvl 3 units. When I merged them, I lost 4 promos (might, heat, shock, hunter) and kept one (combat), and 1 offer of new promo (choosed combat 2), so how did I lose 3 promo's after this merge?

Last edited:
View attachment 563543

So in this example, I had 1 lvl 4 and 2 lvl 3 units. When I merged them, I lost 4 promos (might, heat, shock, hunter) and kept one (combat), and 1 offer of new promo (choosed combat 2), so how did I lose 3 promo's after this merge?
The one you got was equivalent to 3 before, since you were now applying it to what used to be 3 units. The other one was lost because their averaged XP brought the resulting unit down to level 3.

Do promotions that reduce chance to capture (e.g. Poison Tips) reduce the chance to subdue animals?

View attachment 563543

The one you got was equivalent to 3 before, since you were now applying it to what used to be 3 units. The other one was lost because their averaged XP brought the resulting unit down to level 3.
On Discord yesterday I believe I did determine there is sometimes a bug in promotion/level loss in merging that can take place when the promotions can sometimes be assigned in an order that disqualifies some as they are assigned. It's something I have been trying to consider the best ways to fix since then.

Do promotions that reduce chance to capture (e.g. Poison Tips) reduce the chance to subdue animals?
Not unless they say they do. It probably should in a lot of cases but the way to setup a promo having an effect on subduing animals is very roundabout so is not convenient to establish, nor think about at the time you might be assigning value to capture tags. I haven't tried to perfect poison tips because my end goal of having the equipment mod in place will eventually, at least under that option, rework the whole poison concept significantly.

Yes if all 3 have the same promo, they keep it. Others are removed, but the XP they used to qualify for them is also returned, like with other promos that are no longer qualified for.
Yes, I am seconding @Thunderbrd here, that the design is in fact to have the XP returned, but it doesn't appear to always be returned.

one doubt

ok, minor civ came in space but how did i see them? i do not have space tech and got the map from AI. AI is not supposed to go to space. so how did i get the map and contact with the space aliens?
Untitled.jpg

Trying to figure out how the Developing Traits feature works, just picked Start Without Positive Traits and Complex Traits (but not Developing Leaders) because I assumed I'd still get to pick some new ones to replace those I don't have, but it seems that's not how it works. My goal was to test out a Leader with Charismatic/Strategic/Impulsive because I wanted to know if you could still get a -25%xp/promo, but I'm no longer sure how that works or what you do to achieve it. CAN you even get those three Traits on one Leader, or does the Developing Leaders option (which I haven't tried yet) automatically lock that out because Charismatic 1/2/3 only give -10%xp/promo?

Trying to figure out how the Developing Traits feature works, just picked Start Without Positive Traits and Complex Traits (but not Developing Leaders) because I assumed I'd still get to pick some new ones to replace those I don't have, but it seems that's not how it works. My goal was to test out a Leader with Charismatic/Strategic/Impulsive because I wanted to know if you could still get a -25%xp/promo, but I'm no longer sure how that works or what you do to achieve it. CAN you even get those three Traits on one Leader, or does the Developing Leaders option (which I haven't tried yet) automatically lock that out because Charismatic 1/2/3 only give -10%xp/promo?
Developing Leaders is what allows you to select traits ingame. Without it, you're limited to the leader presets for the whole game and most combinations on Complex Traits are not reflected because Complex Traits adds a lot of new traits into the mix and leader defaults haven't been updated to consider them - if they did it would take a special leader set or playing without complex traits would cause a crash when a leader has a trait that doesn't exist in the game. If you want the original starting leader traits, you can avoid selecting Start Without Positive Traits and you'll start with the leader defaults then go beyond that with selections later, BUT, again, those defaults are coming from a very limited pool of core game traits without Complex being in play.

There are some traits on Developing Leaders, where the negative trait is completely opposed to the positive trait line, which makes it in essence the same thing to take a trait and then remove it. There are a few that aren't compatible with each other in the religious traits section even if they aren't direct polar opposites. Charismatic and Strategic should be possible to combine but I'm not 100% sure on Impulsive and how that might interact with either one without looking more directly at the Complex Traits thread.

Developing Leaders is what allows you to select traits ingame. Without it, you're limited to the leader presets for the whole game and most combinations on Complex Traits are not reflected because Complex Traits adds a lot of new traits into the mix and leader defaults haven't been updated to consider them - if they did it would take a special leader set or playing without complex traits would cause a crash when a leader has a trait that doesn't exist in the game. If you want the original starting leader traits, you can avoid selecting Start Without Positive Traits and you'll start with the leader defaults then go beyond that with selections later, BUT, again, those defaults are coming from a very limited pool of core game traits without Complex being in play.

There are some traits on Developing Leaders, where the negative trait is completely opposed to the positive trait line, which makes it in essence the same thing to take a trait and then remove it. There are a few that aren't compatible with each other in the religious traits section even if they aren't direct polar opposites. Charismatic and Strategic should be possible to combine but I'm not 100% sure on Impulsive and how that might interact with either one without looking more directly at the Complex Traits thread.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. Just started a new game with all the options enabled, I'll try a Charismatic Leader (probably Margrete) next time and see if I can get away with keeping Charismatic without it being upgraded to Charismatic 1.

Is there a way to enable Developing Leaders on a game where it wasn't selected before starting? Otherwise, my other game with Margrete is just going to be Negative Traits all the way through, and that would be pretty boring...

Also, IS there a Leader who starts with Charismatic/Strategic/Impulsive if you have JUST Complex Traits on, but not Developing Leaders or Start Without Positive Traits? And is there an FAQ or a spreadsheet somewhere that lists which Leaders have which base-game Traits replaced with which Complex Traits?

Does Neanderthal culture given by the wonder and local building go obsolete after Prehistoric or something? Everything seems the same in-game (from what I can tell - I specifically built my capital near stone to try it this game) and the Civpedia doesn't mention anything, but it seems my capital is no longer building Neanderthal units (ie I can build Trained Dogs but not the Neanderthal equivalent, etc). Maybe there is a limit on the number of Neanderthal units?
Btw, it was worth it ;)

Does Neanderthal culture given by the wonder and local building go obsolete after Prehistoric or something? Everything seems the same in-game (from what I can tell - I specifically built my capital near stone to try it this game) and the Civpedia doesn't mention anything, but it seems my capital is no longer building Neanderthal units (ie I can build Trained Dogs but not the Neanderthal equivalent, etc). Maybe there is a limit on the number of Neanderthal units?
Btw, it was worth it ;)
All neanderthal units obsolete at sedentary lifestyle except for the neanderthal mammoth rider which obsolete at copper working.
I usually get the culture only if I have a neighbor I want to easily eliminate during the prehistoric.
Since neanderthal units are more expensive in hammer cost I tend to avoid it if I predict I won't go to war in the prehistoric.

Ah, I didn't notice the hammer cost! And them going obsolete at Sedentary Lifestyle also reduces their value. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom