Quick Questions , Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by TaylorItaly, Jul 18, 2019.

1. tramwajg

tramwajg Warlord

hey, I'm playing a game and I noticed plot with feature "aurora" but it's seemingly not giving anything, no natural wonder possible to build in city that has it in vicinity, anyone know what is usage of these? when first discovered, it gave 600 gold, and then nothing more

Attached Files:

2. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I guess this one was forgotten by original designer

3. Maltazard

Maltazard Warlord

Good idea, I tried with a land unit and with a land unit embarked in a transport, still nothing however.

I'm assuming tunnels are not considered an improvement on the programming side of things so they simply can't be pillaged. They must be like the removable ice... maybe add a remove sea tunnel action to construction ships - construction ships giveth, construction ship taketh, you know? I guess as it is right now a sea tunnel is like diamonds - forever until crushed by an unstoppable force (worldbuilder delete button obliterated it).

Now I know that the AI doesn't use sea tunnels so it's far from a priority, but if it ever learns to do so, an in game way of destroying them would make sense for gameplay reasons. I had the AI use my own tunnels to approach me and my naval superiority was completely useless since ships can't attack or stop land units in tunnels nor destroy said tunnels... :p

Especially if we get underwater towns someday, this should be expanded a little. As it is right now, tunnels are kinda slow as well, much slower than land railroads or maglevs etc.

4. tmv

tmv Emperor

Some variant of a depth charge should be able to do this as well.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

IIRC, tunnels were too easily destroyed previously and yeah they are a bit of a WIP as far as what you can do to remove them - as in right now you may well not be able to because to do so from inside should mean the death of the land units there and to do so outside would be a kind of attack which hasn't yet been programmed.

6. Monster2821

Monster2821 Warlord

can Neanderthals become new civs like barbarians can?

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I think they cannot but I've not evaluated the python that guides this in a while.

8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

They cannot.

9. Maltazard

Maltazard Warlord

I need some technical support today: I play on a laptop on an external 2560*1440 monitor set up as my primary monitor. I have the game running on fullscreen mode and 1920*1080. When I first launch the game, the UI elements are all out of place: tooltips open on top of the unit frames, lists are cut to the bottom, everything is unusable. There is a simple fix though: if I change the resolution and then change it again, everything begins to work correctly. This doesn't take more than 30 seconds but it's annoying nevertheless...
    Now I've tried all kinds of compatibility settings, nothing seems to work. It happens even if I run the game in 2560*1440, besides at 1440 resolution stuff is too small to read for me. Anyone had anything similar happen? I suspect it's just the game not liking the external monitor even though it's set up as primary, but since changing the resolution fixes it, I have hope that there is a solution.

10. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Does it happen if you use desktop resolution of 1920x1080 and the game running in 1920x1080? Bill (the one pushing us over on github) wrote some code for getting mouse position which was needed for tooltips to be positioned correctly when playing the game in windowed mode (are you playing it windowed mode btw?); maybe there's some edge case where it bugs out.

Do you have image on both the laptop and the external monitor, and are the two monitors set to different resolutions?

11. Maltazard

Maltazard Warlord

Yes, same behaviour. I can't quite take screenshots atm since print scrn is bypassing the game and taking a pic of the desktop for some reason, but unit tooltips overlay on selected unit infos, civic screens scrolling is cut...

No I have it on full screen though if windowed works well I would give that a shot now.

Yeah I have the laptop's own screen as secondary, a displayport output as primary, and an HDMI output ar tertiary. I know it's quite the unusual setup so I can't complain too much, it's just odd that resizing the game through a resolution change fixes it.

Edit: what do you know, it also happens in windowed mode:
    Spoiler pic :
    upload_2022-5-21_13-14-17.png

12. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Yup, that is odd. Hypothesis: the game looks up the monitor resolution of the wrong screen during game launch I think (maybe there's some ambiguity about which monitor the game is active on during early game launch [does the small launch loading splash popup appear on a different monitor than the game itself does afterwards?]), changing resolution later will make it look at the right monitor for resolution size.

Are you duplicating or extending the image shown across the monitors?
    upload_2022-5-21_13-52-29.png
    I think that's a steam thing (guessing you're using steam), you got to use the steam specific screenshot hotkey to screenshot BtS.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

If you extend them, are you playing the game on the main monitor (the one with the taskbar), or have you moved the game window to any of the secondary monitors?

14. Maltazard

Maltazard Warlord

They're extended. When the game launches all the monitors go black for one second, then the loading scren opens in the main monitor which is the 1440p one. I wonder if there's a steam property line to specify the monitor at launch and see if that might fix it. Though since it also happens in windowed mode it could just be unavoidable with this setup... my other monitors are 1080p same as the game resolution after all.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying windowed mode now which in my memory wasn't working very well before, so there's that. Writings are very tiny but crisper too, so it's not too bad.

15. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

I don't have any problem (besides awkward mouse-left-panning) with :
    - Win7
    - 1920 x 1200 as main display (running Civ4)
    - 1680 x 1050 as secondary
    - windowed mode with the Borderless Gaming tool
    - Gog Civ4
    Screenshots work fine too (except obvious issues with overload of Ctrl) with the ShareX tool.

Have you tried running Civ4 Steam-free ?
    Or is it *still* DRMed, I don't see it in the list ?

16. armenia4ever

armenia4ever Chieftain

When playing on eternity speed or a game thats gonna be long, is it better off to: (1) go with a single religion and spread it as much as possible and take civics that suit it or (2) found as many religions as possible, spread them, own several holy cities, and take that one late game religious civic (syncretic?) that gives you the most benefits when you have multiple religions in your cities?

Was thinking about this the other day.

17. Somebody613

Somebody613 Emperor

Depends on whether your long-term goal is to vassalize or to raze, lol.
    And even in that context, you still can go both ways with religions - either unify everyone as your friends-with-benefits, or simply don't care and go on a cleansing spree.
    I myself always play by trying to unify everyone under one religion (for both in-game and out-game purposes), but I'm sure there are also other fun strategies, lol.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

My wife and I survived a very intense BtS game on a very difficult setting once by trying to get everyone to immediately adopt our first religion so as to keep them all at peace long enough for us to get strong enough to manage dealing with those that slipped out of the religious union one by one. Without that on that map on that setting we didn't have any way to keep the foes from coming at us too fast to keep up with.

19. Somebody613

Somebody613 Emperor

More or less my point, though I think that I usually can abuse merged units enough to survive the less-than-stellar AI as it is now.
    Doesn't mean it's easy to conquer cities, though, just to defend against less-than-coordinated random forces.
    I've done this both as manually-edited-in Israel on Pit's map (a double Natural Wonder map "cheat", lol) and on random maps without that bonus.
    Heck, I even sometimes play on the hardest setting for a challenge.
    The thing is, I get BORED easily, so it's more "temporary survival" than any long-term "conquest" plans.
    As soon as turn times reach somewhere over one-two minutes, I usually just DROP the game, loool.
    I'm currently playing on the Duel Space map as the ONLY civ without even barbs - and even that makes it BORING, unless I reduce micromanagement to almost zero.
    While I totally adore this mod for how BIG it is, it's also rather BORING as in SLOW, ya know.
    Which is, by the way, THE reason why I had suggested a "Prehistory ONLY" modmod - precisely because that'd reduce CITY micromanagement to almost nothing, moving the focus to UNITS.
    And if I do that in the actual mod (like keeping only one, or very few cities), it starts lagging horribly tech-wise already around gunpowder or definitely around computers.
    Which is like HALF-a-TREE behind the END of the actual MOD.
    Yeah...
    Basically, it's kinda impossible to FINISH the tech tree on ANY game for me, even with zero "obstacles" like other civs or turn lag.
    It's just TOO BIG, loool.