Quick Questions , Quick Answers

can Neanderthals become new civs like barbarians can?
I think they cannot but I've not evaluated the python that guides this in a while.

I need some technical support today: I play on a laptop on an external 2560*1440 monitor set up as my primary monitor. I have the game running on fullscreen mode and 1920*1080. When I first launch the game, the UI elements are all out of place: tooltips open on top of the unit frames, lists are cut to the bottom, everything is unusable. There is a simple fix though: if I change the resolution and then change it again, everything begins to work correctly. This doesn't take more than 30 seconds but it's annoying nevertheless...
Now I've tried all kinds of compatibility settings, nothing seems to work. It happens even if I run the game in 2560*1440, besides at 1440 resolution stuff is too small to read for me. Anyone had anything similar happen? I suspect it's just the game not liking the external monitor even though it's set up as primary, but since changing the resolution fixes it, I have hope that there is a solution.

I need some technical support today: I play on a laptop on an external 2560*1440 monitor set up as my primary monitor. I have the game running on fullscreen mode and 1920*1080. When I first launch the game, the UI elements are all out of place: tooltips open on top of the unit frames, lists are cut to the bottom, everything is unusable. There is a simple fix though: if I change the resolution and then change it again, everything begins to work correctly. This doesn't take more than 30 seconds but it's annoying nevertheless...
Now I've tried all kinds of compatibility settings, nothing seems to work. It happens even if I run the game in 2560*1440, besides at 1440 resolution stuff is too small to read for me. Anyone had anything similar happen? I suspect it's just the game not liking the external monitor even though it's set up as primary, but since changing the resolution fixes it, I have hope that there is a solution.
Does it happen if you use desktop resolution of 1920x1080 and the game running in 1920x1080? Bill (the one pushing us over on github) wrote some code for getting mouse position which was needed for tooltips to be positioned correctly when playing the game in windowed mode (are you playing it windowed mode btw?); maybe there's some edge case where it bugs out.

Do you have image on both the laptop and the external monitor, and are the two monitors set to different resolutions?

Does it happen if you use desktop resolution of 1920x1080 and the game running in 1920x1080?

Yes, same behaviour. I can't quite take screenshots atm since print scrn is bypassing the game and taking a pic of the desktop for some reason, but unit tooltips overlay on selected unit infos, civic screens scrolling is cut...

(are you playing it windowed mode btw?)

No I have it on full screen though if windowed works well I would give that a shot now.

Do you have image on both the laptop and the external monitor, and are the two monitors set to different resolutions?

Yeah I have the laptop's own screen as secondary, a displayport output as primary, and an HDMI output ar tertiary. I know it's quite the unusual setup so I can't complain too much, it's just odd that resizing the game through a resolution change fixes it.

Edit: what do you know, it also happens in windowed mode:
Spoiler pic :
upload_2022-5-21_13-14-17.png

Yeah I have the laptop's own screen as secondary, a displayport output as primary, and an HDMI output ar tertiary. I know it's quite the unusual setup so I can't complain too much, it's just odd that resizing the game through a resolution change fixes it.
Yup, that is odd. Hypothesis: the game looks up the monitor resolution of the wrong screen during game launch I think (maybe there's some ambiguity about which monitor the game is active on during early game launch [does the small launch loading splash popup appear on a different monitor than the game itself does afterwards?]), changing resolution later will make it look at the right monitor for resolution size.

Are you duplicating or extending the image shown across the monitors?
upload_2022-5-21_13-52-29.png

Yes, same behaviour. I can't quite take screenshots atm since print scrn is bypassing the game and taking a pic of the desktop for some reason
I think that's a steam thing (guessing you're using steam), you got to use the steam specific screenshot hotkey to screenshot BtS.

Last edited:
If you extend them, are you playing the game on the main monitor (the one with the taskbar), or have you moved the game window to any of the secondary monitors?

They're extended. When the game launches all the monitors go black for one second, then the loading scren opens in the main monitor which is the 1440p one. I wonder if there's a steam property line to specify the monitor at launch and see if that might fix it. Though since it also happens in windowed mode it could just be unavoidable with this setup... my other monitors are 1080p same as the game resolution after all.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying windowed mode now which in my memory wasn't working very well before, so there's that. Writings are very tiny but crisper too, so it's not too bad.

I don't have any problem (besides awkward mouse-left-panning) with :
- Win7
- 1920 x 1200 as main display (running Civ4)
- 1680 x 1050 as secondary
- windowed mode with the Borderless Gaming tool
- Gog Civ4
Screenshots work fine too (except obvious issues with overload of Ctrl) with the ShareX tool.

Have you tried running Civ4 Steam-free ?
Or is it *still* DRMed, I don't see it in the list ?

When playing on eternity speed or a game thats gonna be long, is it better off to: (1) go with a single religion and spread it as much as possible and take civics that suit it or (2) found as many religions as possible, spread them, own several holy cities, and take that one late game religious civic (syncretic?) that gives you the most benefits when you have multiple religions in your cities?

Was thinking about this the other day.

When playing on eternity speed or a game thats gonna be long, is it better off to: (1) go with a single religion and spread it as much as possible and take civics that suit it or (2) found as many religions as possible, spread them, own several holy cities, and take that one late game religious civic (syncretic?) that gives you the most benefits when you have multiple religions in your cities?

Was thinking about this the other day.
Depends on whether your long-term goal is to vassalize or to raze, lol.
And even in that context, you still can go both ways with religions - either unify everyone as your friends-with-benefits, or simply don't care and go on a cleansing spree.
I myself always play by trying to unify everyone under one religion (for both in-game and out-game purposes), but I'm sure there are also other fun strategies, lol.

Depends on whether your long-term goal is to vassalize or to raze, lol.
And even in that context, you still can go both ways with religions - either unify everyone as your friends-with-benefits, or simply don't care and go on a cleansing spree.
I myself always play by trying to unify everyone under one religion (for both in-game and out-game purposes), but I'm sure there are also other fun strategies, lol.
My wife and I survived a very intense BtS game on a very difficult setting once by trying to get everyone to immediately adopt our first religion so as to keep them all at peace long enough for us to get strong enough to manage dealing with those that slipped out of the religious union one by one. Without that on that map on that setting we didn't have any way to keep the foes from coming at us too fast to keep up with.

My wife and I survived a very intense BtS game on a very difficult setting once by trying to get everyone to immediately adopt our first religion so as to keep them all at peace long enough for us to get strong enough to manage dealing with those that slipped out of the religious union one by one. Without that on that map on that setting we didn't have any way to keep the foes from coming at us too fast to keep up with.
More or less my point, though I think that I usually can abuse merged units enough to survive the less-than-stellar AI as it is now.
Doesn't mean it's easy to conquer cities, though, just to defend against less-than-coordinated random forces.
I've done this both as manually-edited-in Israel on Pit's map (a double Natural Wonder map "cheat", lol) and on random maps without that bonus.
Heck, I even sometimes play on the hardest setting for a challenge.
The thing is, I get BORED easily, so it's more "temporary survival" than any long-term "conquest" plans.
As soon as turn times reach somewhere over one-two minutes, I usually just DROP the game, loool.
I'm currently playing on the Duel Space map as the ONLY civ without even barbs - and even that makes it BORING, unless I reduce micromanagement to almost zero.
While I totally adore this mod for how BIG it is, it's also rather BORING as in SLOW, ya know.
Which is, by the way, THE reason why I had suggested a "Prehistory ONLY" modmod - precisely because that'd reduce CITY micromanagement to almost nothing, moving the focus to UNITS.
And if I do that in the actual mod (like keeping only one, or very few cities), it starts lagging horribly tech-wise already around gunpowder or definitely around computers.
Which is like HALF-a-TREE behind the END of the actual MOD.
Yeah...
Basically, it's kinda impossible to FINISH the tech tree on ANY game for me, even with zero "obstacles" like other civs or turn lag.
It's just TOO BIG, loool.

Quick question, do future eras have different city aesthetics? I have just reached the nanotech era and I was a little dissapointed in finding that cities still look the same as in the atomic era, and I was thinking in maybe submodding this, but if the city aesthetic will change in the transhuman era maybe I wont bother

Quick question, do future eras have different city aesthetics? I have just reached the nanotech era and I was a little dissapointed in finding that cities still look the same as in the atomic era, and I was thinking in maybe submodding this, but if the city aesthetic will change in the transhuman era maybe I wont bother
Nope, they don't change in future eras.

I'm playing with the barbarian civ option on, I thought that setting the tech percentage to 0% in the BUG menu would make the barbarian civs spawn with no tech at all (which is desirable since i started on my own, I've set the default difficulty to Settler so everyone is using it, while setting my own to Nightmare, and essentially want to give myself a headstart, while obviously the Settler barb civs would catch up with me very quickly), but actually, it says when i hover over it that it gives the barb civs all the techs known by the specified percentage of civs, so... does that mean 0% gives barb civs ALL the techs there are, since 0% of civs knows them? I'm very confused, would appreciate if someone knows the answer haha

I'm playing with the barbarian civ option on, I thought that setting the tech percentage to 0% in the BUG menu would make the barbarian civs spawn with no tech at all (which is desirable since i started on my own, I've set the default difficulty to Settler so everyone is using it, while setting my own to Nightmare, and essentially want to give myself a headstart, while obviously the Settler barb civs would catch up with me very quickly), but actually, it says when i hover over it that it gives the barb civs all the techs known by the specified percentage of civs, so... does that mean 0% gives barb civs ALL the techs there are, since 0% of civs knows them? I'm very confused, would appreciate if someone knows the answer haha
Pretty sure it's capped so that at least 1 civ must know the tech for the emerging barb civ to get it when you set it to 0%. Would be a bug if they got all the techs in the game with that option at 0%.

Top Bottom