1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quitting game never... quits.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by GarethBeaumains, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GarethBeaumains

GarethBeaumains Chieftain

I have, as others, seen Civ VI to be a very slow game. However, one of the slowest things it does is quit-to-desktop.

It doesn't.

It just leaves you hanging for minutes.

So I have to tab out to the desktop and use Activity Monitor or equivalent to force quit the game.

Premier likes this.
  2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

never had this problem. it just takes a few (3?4?) seconds for me.

3. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

Are you exiting from the game or quitting to the main menu and then to desktop? It seems to be a windows problem also (there's a thread somewhere dedicated to it). It happens to me about half the time if I quit from the game, but so far, exiting to the main menu has worked.

4. Alan Palmer

Alan Palmer Chieftain

I had this yesterday for the first time. My keyboard and mouse were unresponsive and I had to turn the Mac off and on via the power button.

5. GarethBeaumains

GarethBeaumains Chieftain

I'm quitting from the game. I'll try quitting to menu and then menu exit next.

6. Alan Palmer

Alan Palmer Chieftain

I've used Cmd+Q and "Exit to the desktop" at different times. It happened again today when I used "Exit to the desktop". This time I could use my mouse and used force quit from the Apple menu to close the game, without having to shut down the entire machine. Next time I quit the game I'll use Cmd+Q to see if it works.

Premier likes this.
  7. Trilo Byte

Trilo Byte Chieftain

I've run/played several times without incident, and only once was there an issue when exiting. After I saved the game I clicked on the 'Exit to Desktop' link from the menu, and it just kind of hung there and never exited. After hitting ⌘ option Esc to bring up the Force Quit dialog, the game didn't say that it wasn't responding, even though it wasn't. I force quit, then jumped back in to check that my recently-saved game had saved properly. Fortunately it had, and exiting right after (as well as every time since) has worked as expected.

8. Alan Palmer

Alan Palmer Chieftain

I just quit the game again and made sure I used Cmd+Q rather than "Exit to desktop" from the game's menu. It worked without problems.

9. Premier

Premier Dept of Isthmi & Tombolos

I've been having the same problem: the game will not exit to desktop via the menu. I've been using use "Force Quit"... maybe I'm a little OCD, but I don't like force quitting apps.
    However, I just tried Alan Palmer's suggestion of Cmd+Q and it works fine (thanks, Alan)!

In any case, this seems like a bug.

10. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

I've had this happen, but only in fullscreen mode. However, in windowed mode, I got the frequent crashes, so I'll stick with fullscreen and one freeze at the end.

11. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Chieftain

My game worked fine once I upgraded to Sierra. However, once Sierra got an update, my games won't sometimes quit.

12. LFRANK

LFRANK Semper Fidelis! Supporter

Cmd+Q seems to work most of the time.

I now routinely skip pressing the Exit to Desktop button and have had fewer game quitting stalls that require a Forced Quit action.

13. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

I've had this problem on and off. When it happens though, I'm able to Command-Tab to bring up the Activity Manager and then Force Quit Civ 6.

14. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

I've also had in hang when quitting, requiring a force quit of the civ 6 app.