Quitting game never... quits.

GarethBeaumains

Chieftain
I have, as others, seen Civ VI to be a very slow game. However, one of the slowest things it does is quit-to-desktop.

It doesn't.

It just leaves you hanging for minutes.

So I have to tab out to the desktop and use Activity Monitor or equivalent to force quit the game.

never had this problem. it just takes a few (3?4?) seconds for me.

Are you exiting from the game or quitting to the main menu and then to desktop? It seems to be a windows problem also (there's a thread somewhere dedicated to it). It happens to me about half the time if I quit from the game, but so far, exiting to the main menu has worked.

I had this yesterday for the first time. My keyboard and mouse were unresponsive and I had to turn the Mac off and on via the power button.

I've used Cmd+Q and "Exit to the desktop" at different times. It happened again today when I used "Exit to the desktop". This time I could use my mouse and used force quit from the Apple menu to close the game, without having to shut down the entire machine. Next time I quit the game I'll use Cmd+Q to see if it works.

I've run/played several times without incident, and only once was there an issue when exiting. After I saved the game I clicked on the 'Exit to Desktop' link from the menu, and it just kind of hung there and never exited. After hitting ⌘ option Esc to bring up the Force Quit dialog, the game didn't say that it wasn't responding, even though it wasn't. I force quit, then jumped back in to check that my recently-saved game had saved properly. Fortunately it had, and exiting right after (as well as every time since) has worked as expected.

I just quit the game again and made sure I used Cmd+Q rather than "Exit to desktop" from the game's menu. It worked without problems.

I've been having the same problem: the game will not exit to desktop via the menu. I've been using use "Force Quit"... maybe I'm a little OCD, but I don't like force quitting apps.
However, I just tried Alan Palmer's suggestion of Cmd+Q and it works fine (thanks, Alan)!

In any case, this seems like a bug.

I've had this happen, but only in fullscreen mode. However, in windowed mode, I got the frequent crashes, so I'll stick with fullscreen and one freeze at the end.

Cmd+Q seems to work most of the time.

I now routinely skip pressing the Exit to Desktop button and have had fewer game quitting stalls that require a Forced Quit action.

I've had this problem on and off. When it happens though, I'm able to Command-Tab to bring up the Activity Manager and then Force Quit Civ 6.

I've also had in hang when quitting, requiring a force quit of the civ 6 app.

Top Bottom