Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

FYI I've been looking a little closer at the new-ish Mapuche ability that reveals resources and I think the unlock is a little too early for the extra Production it provides. Here's a preview of how it will be changed in the next release:

upload_2018-3-26_18-26-26.png

I'm also curious for some feedback about the revised Scythian Kurgan/unique improvement. I am very happy with the concept of a secret "Mysterium" resource, but I want some feedback on whether the Kurgan itself is good enough as is or needs buffs. I got tired of seeing Scythian AI building Kurgans on every tile. One thought is that later in the game perhaps new Kurgans can't be built and any existing ones get a big bonus. Perhaps a radial bonus of Faith or Culture to adjacent tiles. Or something else. There are a lot of possibilities I think.

Could you make it sort of like the golf course, only one kurgan per city? And maybe the tile with the kurgan gets no bonus itself, can't even be worked (like a wonder), but the surrounding six tiles get 1/2/3 faith and/or culture every two eras, or such?

I tried the version released on March 5th, but while I could start a game, clicking on the icons did not open the windows. The ones in the lower right hand... like chose a tech, or civic to research, chose something to produce. I could open them with the icons in the upper left, or on the city banner, but I discovered the hard way that later in the game it can create a situation that can't be resolved. In my case, I had an archaeologist who had found an item, but I couldn't click on the "chose artifact" button. So it just sat there, never to finish.

But also... for later when I can get it working.... would you happen to know some code to remove a city-state quest from the game that I can put in the scratchpad? I found a mod which prevents religious units from crossing closed borders, but it affects city-states too, so unless I'm already suzerain, I can't fulfill a "religious conversion" quest. Thought removing that quest would be easier than trying to get the mod to not affect city-states.

Could you make it sort of like the golf course, only one kurgan per city? And maybe the tile with the kurgan gets no bonus itself, can't even be worked (like a wonder), but the surrounding six tiles get 1/2/3 faith and/or culture every two eras, or such?

I just reread this and god what a terrible idea. OP like crazy. Maybe keep the one per city, but make the progressive yields to the tile itself, and no effect on surrounding tiles, that wouldn't be so nuts.

I'll think about it. Thanks for the input.

BTW funny background fact: Scythia's new "Mysterium" ability started off last year as the way Egypt was going to roll. Egypt was going to start with Ancient Ruins visible to the player and get bonuses for interacting with them from the start of the game. That idea was scrapped due to difficulty making the Ancient Ruins unlock. Now that I know more about modding, it's been rebirthed as the "Mysterium" resource (which still has a couple of things that need to be done to it, e.g. icons).

Ok I just thought about something that is probably important for Multiplayers. Make sure everyone has the same copy of the MyOptions.sql and MyScratchpad.sql. If there are differences in those files I don't know what might happen. Ideally, if you're doing edits at all in those files, one player should do it, zip the mod, and send it to all other players to be 100% sure everyone's using the same data. I don't know what would happen if you don't do this, but it definitely could be a potential source of crashes.

Thanks for the suggestion. We did exactly as you said and played for around 10 hours yesterday with 2 human players and 6 AIs using Quo's combined tweaks 6.09, AI+ 12, and YnAMP. The game didn't crash that often(around 5 times and only on my laptop) but the non-host player(no matter who hosts) kept going to loading screen every 4 or 5 turns. As a comparison we didn't have any loading or crash problem with the vanilla version. We will playtest again without YnAMP to prepare for our Easter civ6 lan party :)

Thanks for the suggestion. We did exactly as you said and played for around 10 hours yesterday with 2 human players and 6 AIs using Quo's combined tweaks 6.09, AI+ 12, and YnAMP. The game didn't crash that often(around 5 times and only on my laptop) but the non-host player(no matter who hosts) kept going to loading screen every 4 or 5 turns. As a comparison we didn't have any loading or crash problem with the vanilla version. We will playtest again without YnAMP to prepare for our Easter civ6 lan party :)

Thanks for the update. That's frustrating that some players were being ejected. I don't know if that's a problem specific to this mod or to mods in general. If I knew what to test I could explore making changes that might fix it. Sadly I just have my one, slow PC that I do all my code and testing on.

if you're talking about desync issues, that's a common issue with the game. some people don't get them, some people only get them with mods. no one knows why it happens, and no one has a fix for it. it's been around since game release.

in the case of only with mods, there's a possibility the players have slight differences in the data. if, for example, you see jungles giving 2 food instead of 1 because of a mod, but player 2 only sees 1 food, when your city grows in population, the other player will desync because on their end, your pop count shouldn't have increased yet. zip your entire mod loadout to make sure everyone has the same exact file. if anyone's edited their main game as well (needed for some mods to actually work), make sure those are normal as well (or otherwise shared between everyone)

that said, honestly, I'd bet it's not a mod issue, though. this has been a problem since day 1 and the devs are (supposedly) aware of it, they just haven't done anything about it. like many of the other game-breaking bugs.

On the other points, unfortunately Civ 6 was not really designed for super large maps.

<snip/>

Those settings to me produce the most satisfying worlds for gameplay. As maps gets larger, you start running into issues like you mentioned.

If you want to stop Settlers from increasing in cost you can insert this into MyScratchpad:

Code:
UPDATE Units SET CostProgressionModel="NO_COST_PROGRESSION" WHERE UnitType="UNIT_SETTLER" ;

<snip/> .

Using 6.0.7 I think (nowhere near my home pc atm) I added that in (the yeild yield fix was already in scratchpad) and can report that now the AI seems more able to keep up on large maps. They mostly neither under nor over expand. I still manage to get half into industrial era by 1200AD but that's a different problem. A side effect of this rapid advancement though I think is the AI actually gets hobbled by their building wonders (essentially wasting production), the techs come so fast that the wonders soon give no actual benefit compared to districts. I have yet to build a single wonder (on King difficulty if it matters) and STILL lead.... the one thing no mod is probably capable of fixing is the AI's insistence of forward settling in places where it will OBVIOUSLY loose the city due to low loyalty which also serves to slow AI expansion.

unfortunately, the forward settling seems less like "artificial stupidity" and more "actual purpose". I was talking to someone about how the AI always tends to spawn within 6 hexes of you regardless of map size. before civ 5, where the problem started, the AI was actually somewhat decent, but for civ 5 and 6, instead of blocking in the player by forming an actually formidable enemy by mid-game, they instead hope to stunt the player by giving them no room to expand, stealing tiles in range, and spamming units. this "works" until you reach midgame, where they try to kill your tanks with swordsmen to no avail (ignore the fact that you have tanks and they still have swordsmen in midgame). so instead of making the AI better, they just do stupid stuff to the player to make them worse. spawn in your face, and if that didn't succeed, settle in your face. it "worked" in civ 5 because they removed city flipping and it continued to "work" in civ 6 until R&F was released

the problem the AI now faces is the loyalty system (and, ultimately, city flipping). the AI is obviously not meant for that at all. forward settling prevents you from expanding... until their loyalty plumets. for players, forward settling is a strong strategy, and is manageable even with a loyalty loss (making 2 cities, sending in a mil gov, harvesting food resources immediately to grow city size, etc) due to how utterly irrelevant loyalty is. but the AI doesn't do that. they AI only clusters you and spams units. that's their "strategy".

the AI+ dev wanted to address that issue, but unfortunately, still no proper modding tools.

Yeah, AI settles right next to you then gets annoyed when you decline to stop settling "nearby" even though you are settling right next to your capital.... it even worse if you (understandably) the annex the strategically offending eyesore by force as soon as the schizophrenic AI declares a war it never intends to actually fight on you.... then ur the warmonger.

The problem with city flipping is that.... it seems the AI was almost completely untouched for that and the other new features which is so almost unforgivably sloppy we HAVE to assume it was on purpose. Civ 5's dlc cycle was a bit odd here and there but at least it mostly made sense.... unless I forgot something. A recent case of daft settling was norway that settled on a large island just as I was moving a few settlers there myself... I settled 3 cities around it (careful to settle at the same time) and then 20+ turns later the island was mine. The same norway was so completely stumped by loyalty that up to that point it lost every 3rd city it settled to flips, there is in every game so far at least one civ that does that with one game leaving a third of a large continent full of independents that eventually flipped to the larger neighbour.

But anyway more on topic, for large maps a lower settler cost (at whatever cost progression) seems essential because of how easily the AI hobbles itself.

Hi. I just tried out the new version and it crashed every time I create a new game, even when only this mod is activated. I am currently using the newest version with all the patches installed, and activated all DLCs. What is wrong?

Hi. I just tried out the new version and it crashed every time I create a new game, even when only this mod is activated. I am currently using the newest version with all the patches installed, and activated all DLCs. What is wrong?
I'm not Isau, and I cannot help you, but if you provided more information, I'm sure Isau will be more likely to help you figure it out.

What settings were you using to create the game(s)?
Did the game load, then crash, or just bounce back to the blue menu?
If it crashed, did you get to do anything before it did, and if so, what was it?
What's different now than the last time that the mod was working for you?
Can you post error logs for the mod?

Please follow these steps:
  • Close the game (if currently open)
  • Open the game
  • Attempt to load the mod
  • After the crash go to the Log folders and grab the Modding.log and Database.log files
  • Post those files here as an attachment

My apologies for not providing the logs firsthand. Here are the files (the two files are in the .zip).

Attachments

• Files.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 274
My apologies for not providing the logs firsthand. Here are the files (the two files are in the .zip).

Hiya, I can see that the crash is being caused by the CITY_FOUNDED_BY_SETTLER_REQUIREMENT that was added in the most recent patch. Are you sure you are 100% up to date on patches?

Also are you playing on a Mac? I'm not sure how Mac works with the patches or whether they are as up to date with PC.

If you can find the line in the code that includes CITY_FOUNDED_BY_SETTLER_REQUIREMENT (it's in Quo_Civ_Code.sql) you can also possibly comment it out and see if that works:

Change this:

Code:
INSERT INTO RequirementSetRequirements
    (RequirementSetId,    RequirementId)
VALUES    ('QUO_REQSET_NORWAY_FREE_BOAT',     'QUO_REQ_NORWAY_CITY_ADJACENT_COAST') ,
        ('QUO_REQSET_NORWAY_FREE_BOAT',     'CITY_FOUNDED_BY_SETTLER_REQUIREMENT') ;

To this:

Code:
INSERT INTO RequirementSetRequirements
    (RequirementSetId,    RequirementId)
VALUES    ('QUO_REQSET_NORWAY_FREE_BOAT',     'QUO_REQ_NORWAY_CITY_ADJACENT_COAST') ;
       -- ('QUO_REQSET_NORWAY_FREE_BOAT',     'CITY_FOUNDED_BY_SETTLER_REQUIREMENT') ;

Make sure you change the comma to a semi-colon to close off the statement

Last update of this mod and last update of the mod Warfare Expanded (for MOAR) 7.3 did not work any more. When creating a game, the loading screen with the player chosen (random) does not appear and you return to main menu.

Bye!

Last update of this mod and last update of the mod Warfare Expanded (for MOAR) 7.3 did not work any more. When creating a game, the loading screen with the player chosen (random) does not appear and you return to main menu.

Bye!

Hi, in order to diagnose a crash I need to have access to a copy of the Modding.log and Database.log files. Please see instructions here on how to to provide that: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/quos-combined-tweaks.606204/page-52#post-15086602

Top Bottom