Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Ah, I see. I didn't realise that Egypt used to perform nearly as poorly as France and Spain. We might just have gotten lucky with barbarian pillaging then.
I do also feel that Arabia's leader bonuses are unique and one of the most interesting changes. No problems then, thanks for replying.

Looking forward to what you have in mind for Monty and Poland, cheers!

Hiya, glad you enjoy it. I haven't tested with 8 Ages of Pace, altho I am familiar with versions of that mod from around Nov-Dec. It's possibly comptatible, but I'd probably go through the code for either Quo's or 8 Ages and comment out stuff that seems redundant.

In general, in Quo's you can remove any file you don't like by removing the reference to it in the .modinfo file (comment it out or delete it from the <Items> list for the gameplay mode you use.) Just don't remove any of the ones that are listed as Priority=1, those I can't be sure won't crash you. Here's the file list for Basic game for example:

<File Priority="1">Gameplay/Quo_Setup_Code.sql</File>
<File Priority="1">Gameplay/Quo_Rules_Code.sql</File>
<File Priority="1">Gameplay/Quo_Civ_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Tantrum_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Friends_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Barb_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Ocean_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Oasis_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Siege_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Policies_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Wonder_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_New_Buildings_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Beliefs_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Routes_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_Units_Code.sql</File>
<File>Gameplay/Quo_ZZ_Debug_Code.sql</File>

You could safely remove any of these ones except the three with priorities. I am slowly migrating everything in the "Rules" files to more individual parts to make it easy to block additional features.

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately since posting, I haven't really had a chance to play, much less to try and compare the configs, but as soon as I have a chance I'll take a look.

Once again, thanks for the quick response.

I absolutely love this mod and want to thank you for all the great work on it. I have a small question though; is there any way to remove the faster border expansion? In my games, I have seen the borders grow to 4 or 5 hexes around a city; this stops the AI from expanding more efficiently. Effectively, since the AI owns the 5 hexes around a city, they do not see any reason to settle further. This leads to empires with a lot of owned land, but few cities.

Thank you for the great mod & help.

I absolutely love this mod and want to thank you for all the great work on it. I have a small question though; is there any way to remove the faster border expansion? In my games, I have seen the borders grow to 4 or 5 hexes around a city; this stops the AI from expanding more efficiently. Effectively, since the AI owns the 5 hexes around a city, they do not see any reason to settle further. This leads to empires with a lot of owned land, but few cities.

Thank you for the great mod & help.

Glad you enjoy the mod. :)

The border expansion question is the one that comes up more than any other. A lot of players seem to be split on it. I'm trying to work out a solution that pleases as many players as possible.At a minimum, in the next patch, the border code will be split out into a separate file so people who dont like it can easily isolate and remove it. I was testing a feature that allowed you to control it from the menu options, but that fell through due to compatibility issues with CQUI. You'll see an announcement from me in the next few days about how I'll proceed to make the best for everyone. Cheers. :)

Isau, thank you for the rapid response, and I am eagerly looking forward to the alternative set without the expansion when you finish it. I enjoy the challenge the Hardcore ruleset, and prefer to play with your mod and Gademon's Earth Map packs. Keep up the great work, it is appreciated.

Isua, will your mod be posted to the Steam Workshop?

Thank you

-Apologies if this is a repeat question.

Hi everyone, I am not yet ready to roll out release 3.06 yet officially. However, if anyone is interested in assisting with beta testing the Beta build, it is now available. It must be downloaded from this post, not from Steam or the main download link. Here are the features I need assistance testing:

Files attached to this post
The mod itself, which goes in the Civ 6 mods folder. If you have been playing with a Steam download, be sure to delete that file so that the mod will work.

Also included in this post is the optional Quo's QA Godmode. If you decide to enable this mod it will unlock all units, give you a ton of gold, and start you out with a high level calvary and and calvary unit you can run around with. This is the mod I use to assist with my testing.

Stuff to test:

Changes to Aztecs

The Aztecs have undergone a rebalance effort.
  • Aztecs now have a -1 penalty to Builder charges
  • The Aztecs now have a National Wonder called the "Templo Mayor" ("Main Temple") which unlocks at the Divine Right civic. Building this temple causes a -4 food penalty in the city it is built. However, it removes the Aztec's penalty to Builder charges and also reduces the cost of the Aztec's unique building (Tlachtali) by 50%.
  • The Tlachatli building now adds walls to the city where it is built, getting around the issue of requiring an Encampment.
All of these features are still very much in flux. In fact, if you peek through the code you'll see a TON of commented out stuff from various alpha builds as I worked toward the beta and tried different things. I am still likely to make at least a few changes. What I want to see is whether this build is basically working before sicing it on the world.

Changes to Anti-Calvary
This is one area that needs a ton of testing to be sure its working as intended. In v3.06, if a Calvary unit begins its turn next to Anti-Calvary, it loses one Move Point. If the Calvary is reduced to 0 Move Points (possible with 4 anti-cav) it simply cannot move or attack at all. Obviously this is very powerful and I am still experimenting with it. But before we event talk balance, I need to know what bugs exist in it. Please share any you find. This was tricky territory indeed to implement and I am only partly confident I'll even be able to make it work in the end.

Changes to Brazil
Brazil is only partly implemented. The idea was that Brazil would begin the game with no government wildcard slot, and then after completing a special project would convert 3 normal slots to wildcards. However, there is no easy way to remove a wildcard slot from just one civ. Again if you poke through code you'll see the many hoops I jumped through to try to make this work. What should work, however, is that when you complete Brazil's special project you receive the "Brazilwood Camp" improvement for Builders (brought back from Civ 5) and also the government cards should convert. I am still weighing whether the government thing will stick around or change to something else entirely. Feedback on this subject is welcome.

Known issues:
- None of the unique buildings or projects have icons yet.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide. :)

Attachments

• Quo's Combined Tweaks.zip
    80.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Quo's QA Godmode.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 56
isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v3.07

Please note that this version is not the same as the Steam version (which is still v3.05.1). I am posting it here as a download before Steam gets a copy in the next day or two. If you subscribe via Steam and want to try this version, make sure to delete and unsubscribe from Steam. This hurts my Steam subscription numbers but they aren't that impressive and I'm not getting paid anyway. :)

Stuff in this Build

Drop-Down Option: Border Speed
  • The much-requested border...

Read the rest of this update entry...

First, I love this mod :) Thanks isau!

I have one request/suggestion: can barbarians heal in camps?
Currently it's too easy to kill barbarian spearman with a warrior - you just heal your warrior and barbarians don't.

:spear:

Last edited:
Hmmm, I now have 2 Monuments in my city build screen lists. Only one is selectable though. I've unsubscribed to the Workshop version and grabbed the latest update off here. I've not changed anything else.

noticed an issue, not sure if this was intentional or not.

civil engineering states that you've removed urban defenses. looking through here, the only mention of urban defenses being removed was where you mentioned that the bastion policy was meant to be a replacement for urban defenses (and indeed, in the code, you even referred to it as "quo_bastion_urban_defenses"). However, upon researching civil engineering, bastion becomes obsolete. I'm guessing you added bastion before you removed the urban defenses, and made it go obsolete because bastion+urban defenses is redundant, but when you removed the urban defenses, you forgot to stop bastion from becoming obsolete.

personally, I prefer having bastion available, and then becoming obsolete once urban defenses become available. While urban defenses make your defenses strong, they also make the AI's strong, and although the siege can now shoot from safely outside the town's range and only needs -someone- to see the city, this means putting that someone within range of the city, both to defend your siege from troops sallying forth and to give vision to your siege, and even then, without battering rams (which are obsolete by this point), 200 fortification points are a lot to go through.

that said, your code is simple enough that even if you and most others disagree with my view, I can edit it anyway lol

also, due to using omnibus and this mod in tangent, I found another bit you might've overlooked. Scouts get an extra level upon creation, but rangers do not. If you start a game in the modern era, your rangers will be level 0 (or, 1, whatever, 0 promotions), and if you find any goodie huts late game and they decide to scorn you by giving you your 17th recon unit, which will now be a ranger, it will again have no free levels. you can fix that by just adding a bit of code at the end of the recon line to read "UPDATE Units SET InitialLevel='2' WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SCOUT") OR (UnitType = "UNIT_RANGER");"

something else I noticed is that stonehenge, for some strange reason, builds really, really fast. I noticed this when your mod was the only new mod I added, so I can confirm it's the tweaks in particular. I've been playing on marathon and found that, while similar buildings are taking almost 40 turns to build, stonehenge is only taking 5 turns. while it looks to be intentional from the code, I'm surprised no one's brought it up in this forum yet. why is stonehenge so fast?

noticed an issue, not sure if this was intentional or not.

civil engineering states that you've removed urban defenses. looking through here, the only mention of urban defenses being removed was where you mentioned that the bastion policy was meant to be a replacement for urban defenses (and indeed, in the code, you even referred to it as "quo_bastion_urban_defenses"). However, upon researching civil engineering, bastion becomes obsolete. I'm guessing you added bastion before you removed the urban defenses, and made it go obsolete because bastion+urban defenses is redundant, but when you removed the urban defenses, you forgot to stop bastion from becoming obsolete.

personally, I prefer having bastion available, and then becoming obsolete once urban defenses become available. While urban defenses make your defenses strong, they also make the AI's strong, and although the siege can now shoot from safely outside the town's range and only needs -someone- to see the city, this means putting that someone within range of the city, both to defend your siege from troops sallying forth and to give vision to your siege, and even then, without battering rams (which are obsolete by this point), 200 fortification points are a lot to go through.

that said, your code is simple enough that even if you and most others disagree with my view, I can edit it anyway lol

also, due to using omnibus and this mod in tangent, I found another bit you might've overlooked. Scouts get an extra level upon creation, but rangers do not. If you start a game in the modern era, your rangers will be level 0 (or, 1, whatever, 0 promotions), and if you find any goodie huts late game and they decide to scorn you by giving you your 17th recon unit, which will now be a ranger, it will again have no free levels. you can fix that by just adding a bit of code at the end of the recon line to read "UPDATE Units SET InitialLevel='2' WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SCOUT") OR (UnitType = "UNIT_RANGER");"

something else I noticed is that stonehenge, for some strange reason, builds really, really fast. I noticed this when your mod was the only new mod I added, so I can confirm it's the tweaks in particular. I've been playing on marathon and found that, while similar buildings are taking almost 40 turns to build, stonehenge is only taking 5 turns. while it looks to be intentional from the code, I'm surprised no one's brought it up in this forum yet. why is stonehenge so fast?

Great feedback. Thanks Ridesdragon.

• Bastions: I will take a look at this and think about it. I've not done a ton of late game testing because the toolset didn't exist til recently, so a lot of it was theorycrafting about how late game would work.
  • I hadn't really thought about Rangers but I suppose there is no harm in giving them the free level. Will add to the next iteration.
  • I looked into Stonehenge build speed. I think it's a bug from the pantheon system. I think what's happening is the new pantheon belief that speeds up Stonehenge is being misapplied to all players rather than just the person who grabs that belief. The belief code was all written before I had access to Firetuner.

First, I love this mod :) Thanks isau!

I have one request/suggestion: can barbarians heal in camps?
Currently it's too easy to kill barbarian spearman with a warrior - you just heal your warrior and barbarians don't.

:spear:

I will think about this. I'm not technically sure it's possible to do. :) Spearmen are a bit more annoying now though, since going within a tile of the will drain your Calvary of a move point. I'm mainly worried about the AIs ability to deal with Barbarians if the Barbs can heal. The AI tends to attack, then stand around and heal. I worry they'll just stand around forever if the Barbs get their HP back.

Hmmm, I now have 2 Monuments in my city build screen lists. Only one is selectable though. I've unsubscribed to the Workshop version and grabbed the latest update off here. I've not changed anything else.

Thanks for the info. Is this happening with all civs or just a specific one? Also, what era of the game?

FYI, some other bugs/oversights I know of that I am working to fix:
  • The faster border speed option doesn't always work when set to True. Trying to figure out why. I think it has something to do with saving/loading and/or with accepting the default setting without moving the toggle box.
  • Gilgamesh's ability that makes him meet other players the turn after they discover Writing works a little too well and also introduces City States. I didn't realize City States had literal tech trees. Will be updated as soon as possible.
  • There were some Pantheon beliefs that someone reported as busted in the last patch that I thought I fixed, but did not. Taking a look at those.

Thanks for the info. Is this happening with all civs or just a specific one? Also, what era of the game?

I only play England and it's the Ancient era. Just about to start a new game, I've deleted the cache, but I'm sure I did before the last one, so in the off chance that this somehow clears it, I'll let you know.

I've started a new game and it's back to normal, so I don't know what caused it, however I did disable Civ VI Improvements patch and Real Tech Tree, maybe one of those was clashing with your mod. I've also noticed MOAR Units and Re-Districting are now on the Workshop and subscribed to them. No noticeable problems so far, but I will let you know if I see any.

Last edited:
I only play England and it's the Ancient era. Just about to start a new game, I've deleted the cache, but I'm sure I did before the last one, so in the off chance that this somehow clears it, I'll let you know.

I've started a new game and it's back to normal, so I don't know what caused it, however I did disable Civ VI Improvements patch and Real Tech Tree, maybe one of those was clashing with your mod. I've also noticed MOAR Units and Re-Districting are now on the Workshop and subscribed to them. No noticeable problems so far, but I will let you know if I see any.

Was it the actual Monument unit and not just the icon? I forgot to mention that you might see the Monument icon in the city's build list because of a dummy building associated with the Options code. It has no icons yet, mainly because I have never made icons before and am slow to implement it. :) The game will use the Monument icon for these buildings.

For some background, Firaxis provided us no way to add Modifiers directly to a player or city. To do it you have to apply something that a Modifiers "rides" on. I chose to use Buildings because it is the closest thing we can use ("Projects" would be better but Lua doesn't let you). What happens is the Lua adds an "Option Administration" building in the capital that indicates that the Options system has fired for this civ. Then there are a scheme of other buildings, one per option, that get added and immediately deleted on the next turn. These buildings each carry a Modifier that adjusts something about the civ. For example for the Border Options there is a building that pops in, applies the modifier, and goes away next turn. Unfortunately the city screen doesn't update for the fact that the building is deleted and if you look in the cap city one turn after settling, you will see it there. Kind of annoying, but it's the best we seem able to do at present.

Thanks for the response. good to know stonehenge was only supposed to be fast for certain pantheons. I only grab religious settlements, not stone circles, so it probably was being applied to anyone who had a pantheon belief, or maybe an AI managed to get a pantheon before I built stonehenge, don't know.

I will think about this. I'm not technically sure it's possible to do. :) Spearmen are a bit more annoying now though, since going within a tile of the will drain your Calvary of a move point. I'm mainly worried about the AIs ability to deal with Barbarians if the Barbs can heal. The AI tends to attack, then stand around and heal. I worry they'll just stand around forever if the Barbs get their HP back.

barbarians are scary in the beginning due to sheer numbers, the ability to create a new unit every turn without any resource to rely on, and the fact that you don't have units at first. unit-by-unit, barbs are supposed to be weaker than normal units, which is why you get a combat bonus against them (or at least with a policy you do, I forget if there's a basic bonus as well) and they don't heal. while a barbarian encampment that hasn't found your city yet is easy to clear with a warrior since you can just heal up the damage done to you (take too much damage, though, and the spearman will sally forth and wipe out your warrior), it still takes a while to clear out since the spearman is technically stronger than your warrior. in that time, a scout could find your city and report back to the encampment, and now the encampment will be spawning units every turn. you can't out-produce them, the only solace is that they can't heal. allow them to heal and the AI (and even the player) will not be able to survive, due to the mass swarm of horsemen in your base that now don't have to worry about getting killed by constantly throwing themselves at your city wall. I already see Gilgamesh having a hard time dealing with barbs to begin with when there's more than one encampment near him, adding in healing means some AI will die long before they meet the player.

so please don't add in barbarian healing if it's possible. the passive camps are supposed to be relatively easy to clear, and adding in healing will make active camps impossible to deal with.

Was it the actual Monument unit and not just the icon? I forgot to mention that you might see the Monument icon in the city's build list because of a dummy building associated with the Options code. It has no icons yet, mainly because I have never made icons before and am slow to implement it. :) The game will use the Monument icon for these buildings.

For some background, Firaxis provided us no way to add Modifiers directly to a player or city. To do it you have to apply something that a Modifiers "rides" on. I chose to use Buildings because it is the closest thing we can use ("Projects" would be better but Lua doesn't let you). What happens is the Lua adds an "Option Administration" building in the capital that indicates that the Options system has fired for this civ. Then there are a scheme of other buildings, one per option, that get added and immediately deleted on the next turn. These buildings each carry a Modifier that adjusts something about the civ. For example for the Border Options there is a building that pops in, applies the modifier, and goes away next turn. Unfortunately the city screen doesn't update for the fact that the building is deleted and if you look in the cap city one turn after settling, you will see it there. Kind of annoying, but it's the best we seem able to do at present.

I don't know, it was exactly the same as the regular Monument entry except for the build time was different and nothing happened when I clicked on it so it was probably as you said, but it's stopped appearing now so I don't know mate. But thanks for looking at it.

Thanks for the response. good to know stonehenge was only supposed to be fast for certain pantheons. I only grab religious settlements, not stone circles, so it probably was being applied to anyone who had a pantheon belief, or maybe an AI managed to get a pantheon before I built stonehenge, don't know.

barbarians are scary in the beginning due to sheer numbers, the ability to create a new unit every turn without any resource to rely on, and the fact that you don't have units at first. unit-by-unit, barbs are supposed to be weaker than normal units, which is why you get a combat bonus against them (or at least with a policy you do, I forget if there's a basic bonus as well) and they don't heal. while a barbarian encampment that hasn't found your city yet is easy to clear with a warrior since you can just heal up the damage done to you (take too much damage, though, and the spearman will sally forth and wipe out your warrior), it still takes a while to clear out since the spearman is technically stronger than your warrior. in that time, a scout could find your city and report back to the encampment, and now the encampment will be spawning units every turn. you can't out-produce them, the only solace is that they can't heal. allow them to heal and the AI (and even the player) will not be able to survive, due to the mass swarm of horsemen in your base that now don't have to worry about getting killed by constantly throwing themselves at your city wall. I already see Gilgamesh having a hard time dealing with barbs to begin with when there's more than one encampment near him, adding in healing means some AI will die long before they meet the player.

so please don't add in barbarian healing if it's possible. the passive camps are supposed to be relatively easy to clear, and adding in healing will make active camps impossible to deal with.

I confirmed the Stonehenge bug and have it fixed in my next batch of code, which will come out either later tonight or tomorrow. The issue was what you thought it was--the code Stonehenge was getting applied to all players. Basically, the code said "when someone selects this pantheon, apply an effect to every player that boosts every other player's Stonehenge build time." So all players weren't just getting the intended +200% hammers, but more like +1200%, and it went to every single player. :D Thanks for pointing that out. Firetuner has made it easier to catch those kinds of errors, but they still slip through.

As for the Barb camps, after looking at I've decided not to allow Barbs to heal, because it hurts AI too much. However if I can figure out code for it I may pass it along just so the players who want it can manually insert it.

I enjoy the changes you've made quite a bit, but I have a huge issue. Everytime I capture a city I get a crash to desktop. My game is fully updates with all dlc and your mod is the only one I'm using, can't figure out what the problem is.

Top Bottom