R.E.D. World War II development thread

okay, 2 bad news, 1 good news:

Bad:
- I don't know why it has worked once, but I can't pass the unit limits anymore. Yep that's very bad. Now if it has worked once...
- The DLL for R.E.D. WWII can't be loaded with the mod, unless I found a workaround you'll have to manually replace the vanilla DLL. that means no "public" release, but a new beta *soon*

Good:
- I've added a new combat event successfully, I'll be able to fully restore the functionality as they were before the .674 patch.

Keep up the good work Gedemon!

okay, 2 bad news, 1 good news:

Bad:
- I don't know why it has worked once, but I can't pass the unit limits anymore. Yep that's very bad. Now if it has worked once...
- The DLL for R.E.D. WWII can't be loaded with the mod, unless I found a workaround you'll have to manually replace the vanilla DLL. that means no "public" release, but a new beta *soon*

Good:
- I've added a new combat event successfully, I'll be able to fully restore the functionality as they were before the .674 patch.

Any idea when a "public" release will be?

Any idea when a "public" release will be?

Will depend if I can deploy the DLL with the mod. It may require a conversion to G&K, that means a lot of works to fix everything for the expansion.

That why I'll release a beta first, waiting to see what will be in the fix patch from Firaxis.

Moderator Action: I've also moved the posts (including mine) related to gameplay suggestions to the corresponding thread.

Yeah, but we still have a big problem with the latest patch!

One minor error:
In all my research, I could never find a La-5 v2. As far as I could find, no such plane ever existed. The plane the animation represents is most likely a La-5FN.

What's in the DLL? Unable to check currently D:

Ok, now that I've finally managed to fully restore the mod features to the state I wanted them (with a few bonuses), what's planned now ?

I know that everyone is going to yell "NEW UNITS !!!!" now that the limit is broken, but there are things to do first.

First switch the unit initialization to something based on R.E.D. Modpack, much easier to change models and add new ones.

But then I still need to decide if I go to G&K, the fact that I can't release a modded DLL for vanilla civ5 directly with the mod, but can with a G&K modded DLL may finally convince me to go for it. That means the unit initialization method will have to be adapted.

So don't rush add new units, the more few have, the longer it will take to convert.

I also wan't to try the "regiment" idea (link a secondary unit to your divisions, like AA-Guns, Artillery, AT-Guns, Tank Destroyers, etc...) because it will have a major impact on the new units statistics.

For air units, now that we can re-base in friendly cities, airfield are no more needed. But I'm still interested by airfield, in another way: force all air units to be based on airfield, not cities (in that case Air units / Air factory will be available in cities close to airfield only)

After that, the mechanism we had talked about detection of enemy units based on radio communication is something I'd really like to add.

Ho, and by the way:
One minor error:
In all my research, I could never find a La-5 v2. As far as I could find, no such plane ever existed. The plane the animation represents is most likely a La-5FN.
thanks, that's fixed in v.31

Personally, I think we should focus on fixing air combat, I mean, In the Battle of Britain, British pilots shot down so many german bombers, I don't see how 3 HP out of 75 makes any difference? It also puts naval units in great danger, don't tell me to first get air superiority, YOU CAN'T!
I also think that you should finally work on the Unique Abilities, British AI us getting thrashed!
BTW, air recon isn't neccessary without fog of war

Thanks for the update Gedemon :)

The patch broke my civ unfortunetly but hopefully I can fix the events and earth maps soon.

And on second note if you do go to G&K which would be awesome will you keep their espionage system? or maybe integrate it with the radio idea you had?

Broke your civ?
Also, espionage, meh, maybe enigma code and stuff like that!

Broke your civ?
Also, espionage, meh, maybe enigma code and stuff like that!

Yea not to get too off topic but the game crashes once it loads up civ seems like quite a few people have this problem :(.

Well espionage could be a good tool for an alternative history (well possibly) in which you can influence minor or maybe even major nations like the US to your side.

Personally, I think we should focus on fixing air combat, I mean, In the Battle of Britain, British pilots shot down so many german bombers, I don't see how 3 HP out of 75 makes any difference? It also puts naval units in great danger, don't tell me to first get air superiority, YOU CAN'T!
I also think that you should finally work on the Unique Abilities, British AI us getting thrashed!
BTW, air recon isn't neccessary without fog of war
it's more 5-7 HP, and it makes a difference in the attrition war.

which naval units exactly ? medium/heavy bombers are weak against them, unless promoted, attack aircraft are dead meat for your fighters, so only fast bombers are a threat, unless your naval unit is already badly hurt.

And FoW is back, thanks to the fix for combat events.

And on second note if you do go to G&K which would be awesome will you keep their espionage system? or maybe integrate it with the radio idea you had?
I don't think the melee naval combat and the current espionage system will fit with the mod. If integrated it will have to be redone (change the "coup" mechanism, add "army position" mission, remove tech stealing, etc...) and it seems to be hardcoded AFAIK, which means harder/longer to edit.

Now something more like treaty proposal from CS to make them chose side would be interesting. They could have territorial demand for example, or ask for defensive pact or a military alliance against another Civ/CS.

If we keep it simple, it could be relatively easy to implement with define tables at the scenario level as the one you already use for transport or military operations.

What would have to be defined first before coding is the type of missions we may have, and the resulting obligations.

Let's take an example, please do not discuss it's credibility, it just for a possible mechanism presentation:

Before the war Poland could offer 3 different "treaty proposal", one can be chosen by Germany, one by France/UK, one by USSR. It would be available in the diplomacy screen of a CS to replace the "gift gold" menu.

Once you take a treaty, a corresponding project will be unlocked, you'll have to complete it in one of your city to "sign" it. The projects could have different cost, depending of the "realism" of it, or the level of "obligations" to respect it once signed. It would represent the time for negotiation and the side transactions (armament contract, etc...)

Completing the project will give you influence, and if the treaty was linked to a "concurrence" like in the example, only the first to complete the project get influence, the others lose some.

As said above, the treaty could also give you obligations automatically applied like declaring war at a specific date to another civ, defending the CS if it's attacked, give it specific cities near their territory if you capture them, etc...

The UI/obligations thing is not a problem, it would "just" need a bit of work to allow the AI to use that mechanism.

it's more 5-7 HP, and it makes a difference in the attrition war.

which naval units exactly ? medium/heavy bombers are weak against them, unless promoted, attack aircraft are dead meat for your fighters, so only fast bombers are a threat, unless your naval unit is already badly hurt.

And FoW is back, thanks to the fix for combat events.

Not when you have 20 bombers against one city or unit and all you have is two spitfires and less material than them!

I can't help asking, which nation will go in the mod next?
(Not that it matters to me ATM, stupid dll files)

Not when you have 20 bombers against one city or unit and all you have is two spitfires and less material than them!
well, that's the problem. you need 10 fighters to counter 20 bombers, and 5 mores to counter the enemy air sweep if he has 10 fighters.

as you see the ratio favors the defense here, but 2 vs 20 is clearly not enough. playing as UK your first concern is to build an air force if you fail to invade Germany in an early rush.

I can't help asking, which nation will go in the mod next?
(Not that it matters to me ATM, stupid dll files)
I have absolutely no idea.

Remember, I'm ready to code in a new civilization, but you (a global "you") have to provide all the material, I can't do everything :D

Considering we allready got all the major powers, aswell as some who in my honest opinion are minors, the focus should be on fleshing out the projects for the current countries aswell as perhaps adding a bit more depth to the armies (eg more units).

"Operation overlord" spawns British, Polish (under British control), Canadian (british control), Free French and American troops at normandy.
"Operation avalanche" spawns troops in Italy.

Also, we need UAs quickly. And the UK should be the British Empire, they will have control of Australia, Canada and so on.
EDIT: @Gedemon, I hardly have enough time to build a bunch of matilda's to begin an invasion... that's why maginot forts and closed borders are necessary.

So far so good on the V31 - 04 Europe 1939 Playing as Germany, January 1939. No bugs to report, interception going well, all looks good.

quick update of the current development to the DLL:

- balance : embarked units are now considered as Sea units, that means that aircraft with bonus against land or/and armor units won't get those bonus when attacking an embarked tank. Before that a Stuka with some promotions could sink a British tank in one attack...

- added a game event to prevent the AI to contact you in diplomatic screen, that will fix the 2nd turn problem when everyone ask you to stop expanding.

- added a game event to abort attacks, that will allow the mod to forbid AI units to suicide themselves on your defense in 3-4 turns.

- added a Lua function to set special units that can stack with units of same domain. It will be used for the "regiment" unit mechanism.

So this regiment idea, can Artillery stack with tanks?

Top Bottom