1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

R.E.D. World War II development thread

Discussion in 'R.E.D. World War II Edition' started by Gedemon, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Skibbi

Skibbi Prince

Does Gimp2 work?

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I use paint.net for DDS editing.

Small update on my current coding: I think I've managed to make plot's ownership independent from cities, and I'm now trying to get something to flip back captured "orphans" plots (ie not linked to a city or unit).

3. Skibbi

Skibbi Prince

plot ownership, you mean as in tiles? what's wrong with it?

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

when you capture a city, all plots owned by the city flip side, which is not really following the game play introduced with front lines. I want tile to flip side only when captured by an enemy units or surrounded.

5. thecivinator58

thecivinator58 Warlord

OK, thanks Gedemon, Paint works great. I made some units for Finland, but civfanatic won't let me upload the DDS files. Any idea how I could upload them?

6. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

yes, put them in an archive (preferably 7zip, better compression for those DDS I think) and post them either in an attachment of your post or on mediafire.com if too big.

7. thecivinator58

thecivinator58 Warlord

Ah, here are the new finnish units! They aren't great, but here they are!
    I plan on makeing more later, like a captured I-16.
    Edit:**** it, If It asks for a password, just type in civ5

Attached Files:

8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I would suggest that you try to use cut/paste and resize other files / layer for the symbol instead of hand-drawing them.

9. thecivinator58

thecivinator58 Warlord

OK, I'll try and find some time to do that. Do you have any idea were I could find such files?

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

in other units :)

11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

v.35 will be out *soon*

maybe tomorrow.

add stacking in cities, allow entering friendly cities, new rules for tile ownership ("orphan" tiles, not linked to city or unit will flip back or flip to nearest possible occupier), balance field guns...

but now, I need to sleep :)

12. thecivinator58

thecivinator58 Warlord

I somehow found some time to make more units, so here they are :)

Attached Files:

13. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

small report on v.37 development, I've done some (much needed IMO) work on the user interface, mostly related to the feedback the mod give you for your needs on personnel and materiel.

Now the top panel value are updated in real time, so you can see directly the impact of combats or cities specialization on next turn reinforcement.

(click for full screen)

The city view has been modded to show the local production of personnel and materiel.

(click for full screen)

I've also tweaked some values:
    - "buy war bonds" process has been buffed, it now converts 75% of city gold+production to materiel (was 50%)
    - Hospital truly heals wounded soldiers. Each turn the game calculate the number of "out of combat" men based on units damage and their personnel ratio (for units that have a supply line), then it applies another ratio to get a "pool of wounded" (men that are not dead or invalid), and finally each hospital can heal 3% of that pool with a maximum rate of 150 personnel / turn.
    - Radio generate a number of recruits based on city size (x3) and provide a 50% bonus to all recruiting buildings (the radio itself, barracks, military academy and the "We need you" process).
    - The USSR trait is only applied on those recruiting buildings.

While I was working on the UI, I've integrated the idea of color-coding in the aircraft list taken from here, and added the current mission of the squadron in the mod's own tooltip.

(click for full screen)

Last thing about the UI, I've changed the personnel icon (better, isn't it ?) and edited some of the game text in tootips related to gold and food to reflect their use in the mod.

14. makke

makke Warlord

Looks good Gedemon :)

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Progress note:

I'm finishing v.37 (the UI change for reinforcement) and will upload it *soon*, and then I'll merge T_KCommanderbly work on the 1936 maps, will start to (finally) add the new unit initialization code and will release beta for v.38 at some point. And at this moment I'll look at the 1936 reports from the v.38 beta...

v.38 may take more time than usual before being released, the data file will have to be updated, hence the planned beta versions. An intermediate v37.b with just a new DLL could be done if I find the cause of the convoys crash.

16. T_KCommanderbly

T_KCommanderbly Prince

Ok here you go Gedemon:

http://www.filedropper.com/1936v2eventupdate

- I added the events, if someone wants I can post the descriptions and make sure I have my history correct. I added them for Gedemon's Europe scenario, the Amer/Euro Scenario and the 1936v2 scenario that I added.

- I added a second 1936 scenario which Gedemon if you wanted could completely be in place of the other earth 1936 scenario. It cuts the world but uses the same orginally sized map, the only negative is Australia and Indonesia are cut out. So I would like opinions on this, Its very much easier to test and the play is much smoother so I'll probably be focused on updating this version which I hope to integrate into 1939 and 1942 maps also :).

- I fixed an error in the large earth 1936 map which caused some of the scripted events to fail.

Well in that case yes we would better wait because I can think of about 20 (inluding places like Manchukuo and the various cliques of China) or so countries that could be added to the 1936 scenario.

and can I make units soon? :D

17. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Thanks, I'm finishing my current game (an interesting one) and will look at it. I should also finally start to add the code for the new units then.

It will break savegame compatibility, that's why I dont want to start it before finishing that game. Usually I'm always stopped in the middle of a good one 'cause I've made a change that break save compatibility during development :o

This one was started during early v.35 coding, it's USSR on 39-45 Europe, all options ON (especially alternate history). Germany and Italy have DOWed Greece early, and I though I had more time to prepare (and had send too many troops to invade Finland) so I had some difficulties to counter Germany assault month earlier than the real date.

Date is December 20, 1943 (turn 161), the Luftwaffe has been worn down during the reconquest of Poland, and the German front is about to collapse near Berlin.

UK have made a pretty good equivalent of Operation Sledgehammer, but failed to take a city, they were at the door of Paris for some time, but coming from the west the Seine has stopped their offensive.

But my problem ATM is that the Regia Aeronautica have complete domination over the Balkans, and my troops there have been send back from Bucharest to Tulcea. The Fiat G.50 are killing my Lagg-3 with airsweeps and my La-5 are not experimented enough to counter them (and the following bombers). I've sent a few AA regiment south, but they can't protect enough troops (that's how I want my regiments, all about choice :D)

So, IS-1 design is nearly complete, I'll pop a few La-5 with US gold coming from convoys waiting for stalingrad to complete one unit, and I'll end this war :D

And then I'll merge everything ;)

18. thecivinator58

thecivinator58 Warlord

Hey Gedemon, could you make it so when the open boarders agreement you have with a civ runs out, the aircraft on their territory don't get destroyed? It's quite annoying.

19. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

it is quite annoying, yes :o

from v.37 log:

tell me if it doesn't work.

20. Lose

Lose King

what if we dont want to have it open all game?