R.E.D. World War II development thread

One thing the AI is doing rather poorly (guess this is a vanilla problem as well): AI uses fighters to bomb, instead of intercepting my bombers...
Not sure if you can increase the AI flavor to intercept instead? Or remove the bomb option and make fighters intercept anyways or something...
I may try something to force the AI to keep some fighters for defense only, don't know if it would be easier to mess with the flavor, that'll need some test...

The AI also loses their fighers/bombers due to not escaping, the germans had 6 tanks around minsk and the russian AI bombs with 1 bomber and 2 fighters, next turn loses all 3 units =/ (again I guess this is a vanilla AI problem that needs to be fixed).
I may allow air units to escape captured cities, as for land units, to counter that.

Also german panzers can capture cities, italian tanks can't.
will be fixed in V.5, I hadn't fixed it, cause I knew that I was about to replace the Panzer UU with the panzers from danrell anyway, copying the tank statistics (including the no capture...).

For easier updates the mod will be split in 2 parts.

The first part is all the data files used by the mod (units, 2D art, sounds), and can be downloaded on mediafire here (58MB)

It will be updated less frequently than the second part (the core mod) which is much smaller, so it will save time for upload/download.

I'll post the v.5 of the core mod in a few hours to beta-test a few more units. I've spend a lot of time to define the bases on which I will gradually add danrell's units, now that the bases are made, the rest should be faster... I hope ! :D

But do not expect major units addition yet, the next one is just a few lands units from the start of the war era, it will include those new models (with new stats) : Panzer I to IV, Somua S35, Char B1, T-34, KV-1, Matilda II, P26/40.

V.5 is out, and I've made a dedicated thread here .

This one will be used for the development, any help welcome :D

I'll try to post tomorrow about what's specifically needed, but yes, I don't have any text yet for the dawn of Man screen.

I don't know if it should be long or short, I'm thinking of adding the complete unit list for each nation and that could take place on that screen...

Well I have a dawn of man quote for all those nations, each one is about the same size as vannila civ dom quotes.

I was thinking since the custom screen is setup that way, you could maybe in different color text in the dom quote (which i could do) add each nations advantages and disadvantages, also maybe their overall difficulty level too. I was thinking something like Rhyes of civilzations civilization IV's deal with the stars. Heck you could do that exact thing.

But adding the units would be good idea too.

Hey, loving the mod, playing a game as Germany, only things i've noticed are that the french "reserves" are settlers, not sure if you've just not got that model done or whats going on with that, as well the turn-triggered war events seem fine except the germany attacks USSR and USSR allies with England/france, as those happened June 1940, not June 1941 as in real life.

Great work everyone, keep it up!

Hey, loving the mod, playing a game as Germany, only things i've noticed are that the french "reserves" are settlers, not sure if you've just not got that model done or whats going on with that, as well the turn-triggered war events seem fine except the germany attacks USSR and USSR allies with England/france, as those happened June 1940, not June 1941 as in real life.

Great work everyone, keep it up!
Thanks !

You're using V.4 ?

If so try V.5 (see a few post above), I hope that the settler reinforcement bug is corrected in this version. (note: savegame are not compatible between version)

Well I have a dawn of man quote for all those nations, each one is about the same size as vannila civ dom quotes.

I was thinking since the custom screen is setup that way, you could maybe in different color text in the dom quote (which i could do) add each nations advantages and disadvantages, also maybe their overall difficulty level too. I was thinking something like Rhyes of civilzations civilization IV's deal with the stars. Heck you could do that exact thing.

But adding the units would be good idea too.
Maybe we can try half size for DoM quote and trait, and the other half for unit listing. Vanilla quotes use a bit more than a half, nop ?

Your idea for description with +/- and colors is good, but the balance will surely change during development, so you may have to update it later.

The big picture could be something like that (to discuss):

USSR :
+ much more personnel available to reinforce troops than any other nation
+ T-34 available from start, best tank unit then.
- almost no industrialization at game start

Germany:
+ good industrialization at start, can maintain more troops and mechanized (ie using materiel reinforcement) units
+ blitz and Stuka from the begining, large choice of units to develop
- the really good units won't be available immediatly

France:
+ good units available pretty quick
- not prepared: not enough units (and even less modern ones) on the field at start of game

UK:
+ RAF : will have good aircraft available from start
- Will need time before being able to build good tanks

Italy:
+ ?
- not enought industrialization, few tanks available

This is what I had before, I saw your post just as a test run... With the stars we could also split up military by navy, airforce and army too.

your idea is a good one, maybe we could even put the starting personal and material too.

And Italy in my opinion has a great strategic location at the center of the map so that would be a +

The Other thing I just thought of, is maybe we could add a strategy to each nation, for instance it would be good for Germany to be aggressive and France to be defensive.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0010.jpg
    Civ5Screen0010.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 119
Here is the (almost) final list of classes for units...

I'll like to have icons for each of them (Putmalk already working on it, but there are a lot to do), and a small text description (a few lines, 4 or 5 maybe) of the classes (history, +, -)

that's a lot of work, so volunteers are welcome :D

Hulfgar has also send me some units icons that could be used, and maybe we could reference all available icons from other mods to see what could be used ? (with credit of course)

there's a spreadsheet here with all classes (and subclasses) combat data for reference.

Statistic will be changed during development for gameplay balance, but the main objective is to have some kind of rock-paper-scissors...

INFANTRY
SPECIAL_FORCE / PARATROOPERS (I may split this one)
MECHANIZED_INFANTRY
LIGHT_TANK
LIGHT_TANK_DESTROYER
CRUISER_TANK
TANK
MAIN_BATTLE_TANK
HEAVY_TANK
SUPER_HEAVY_TANK
TANK_DESTROYER
HEAVY_TANK_DESTROYER
ASSAULT_GUN
HEAVY_ASSAULT_GUN
ARTILLERY
MOBILE ARTILLERY
CONVOY
FIGHTER
JET_FIGHTER
FIGHTER_BOMBER
ATTACK_AIRCRAFT
HEAVY_FIGHTER
FAST_BOMBER
BOMBER
HEAVY_BOMBER
DESTROYER
BATTLESHIP
CRUISER
HEAVY_CRUISER
DREADNOUGHT
SUBMARINE
SUBMARINE SPECIAL (Surcouf, I-400)
CARRIER

Ah, ok hadn't seen V.5, does it also fix the date of the war between germany and the soviets?

Ah, ok hadn't seen V.5, does it also fix the date of the war between germany and the soviets?

nop, the timeline is not fixed yet, as the game speed is subject to change...

atm the events are defined by turns, I plan to change that to define the events (declaration of wars, annexation of minor civs...) by date and convert it to turn (and I can't use the game function, 'cause I'm using a custom calendar) so I can change game speed without needing to redo all the events table...

btw, that's another thing I may need help: I search a simple list of date of DoW during WWII, and having the date of alliance/annexation would be a nice bonus...

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/ww2time.htm

this page i find a useful resource for World War 2 event timing, as it has both DoW dates and surrender dates, as well as pacts and major events.

speaking of which, do you have any intention of including vichy france in the mod? As much as it is true that the french under deGaulle kept fighting from exile during '40-'44, the Wehrmacht didnt have to go all the way to Brest and la Rochelle to conquer france. I saw once in civ 4 a mod where once a certain fraction of French cities +Paris were captured, the remaining french cities in Europe were given to a Vichy France, which was a vassal to Germany, (in this case permanent alliance would be a better tool to use) and the french proper only retained some north arfican holdings.

speaking of which, do you have any intention of including vichy france in the mod? As much as it is true that the french under deGaulle kept fighting from exile during '40-'44, the Wehrmacht didnt have to go all the way to Brest and la Rochelle to conquer france. I saw once in civ 4 a mod where once a certain fraction of French cities +Paris were captured, the remaining french cities in Europe were given to a Vichy France, which was a vassal to Germany, (in this case permanent alliance would be a better tool to use) and the french proper only retained some north arfican holdings.

Yes, Vichy France is already in the mod as a hidden CS (see pedia)

I've not coded the fall of France event yet, but it will be in, at least when France is controlled by the AI.

For the human Player, I'm pondering if I should make the split mandatory when Paris is captured (and then give the player control of all Allied (UK-France-USA) land/sea units, as commander-in-chief of the European theatre), give him the choice between CINC / don't split France, or just skip the fall of France event.

edit : and thanks for the link :)

Gedemon did you have an opinion of the screen shot of the DoM in the above post? It's how it is so far, not sure what else to do to it.

An for the Maginot Line, you ought to make a new unit called bunker or something along that line, make it immobile and unbuildable. That way you can just preplace the unit in the scenario, you could do the same thing for the atlantic wall and other fortifications also (using the same unit). But that was just a thought...because I know civ IV has some bunker units that could be transferred over and used.

Nice, but the text is maybe to long, how does it look like on the loading screen ? The last paragraph is a bit too much IMO, but I like the idea of star, maybe using ICON_CAPITAL instead of ICON_STAR ? Do you think you can align them using tabs ?

The France issue is one of the big difficulties of a WW2 europe scenario, as any realistic 1939 setup has France about to get squished, but taking away the human player's stuff seems kinda mean. I like that you're planning on putting in the split when france is AI controlled. IMHO making france not surrender in a Mod where you've got all the other alliances and DoWs scripted in, seems kinda like fudging it. If germany has to slog all the way through france it's gonna delay the battle of britain and possibly not give them time to set up for barbarossa in '41. I'd say thats too unbalancing, and france should split like it did IRL.

Top Bottom