R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Regarding balance issue, I do agree that interception is kinda underwhelming. Even fully promoted, fighters have a hard time damaging, let alone killing any kind of bomber/heavy bomber. Imo, interception should look like this:

-Attack aircraft: Getting devastated by fighters. Its already like that, so no change required. I beg your pardon? :D
-Fast bomber: Getting heavily damaged. They already have a good chance of evading, wich should be their only defense, if an ennemy fighter catch them, they should really take a lot of damage
-Regular bomber:Moderate damage. A bomber should not bomb all game long without fear of being destroyed
-Heavy bomber:low damage. The whole point of those airplanes is to be hard to kill. Heavy fighter should be required to even have a chance to stop them.

In my experience British bombers keep pounding Paris and nothing more than Paris, you can put a weak vessel in the Canal and they won't take notice at it. My fighters reduce their HP to 7/75 and they keep coming but never get finally defeated :confused:

I think there should be a limitation for the aircraft to make flights i.e. should have more than 50% HP, maybe the idea can be extended to other units, but hey with so few units we can come to a game stalling :crazyeye:

In the other hand despite so much defensive operations the fighters never get any experience from it, that I guess is an involuntarily mistake in the code to be corrected. We have to wait for Gedemon to come back.

ilshur,
I did try turning off automatic triggered events and it still chrashed on the fall of Paris, so it may be and additional G&K issue.

ilshur,
I did try turning off automatic triggered events and it still chrashed on the fall of Paris, so it may be and additional G&K issue.

g&k is definitely an independant problem, and until another version is released it will continue to be a completely debilitating conflict for reasons beyond the value of discussion

Hi Gedemon,

I was recently introduced to your great mod and only just started. Overall the map looks great, but I noticed some inaccuracies: The cities of Nuremberg and Munich are way too far in the west. They seem to be in Baden-Württemberg instead of Bavaria. I would suggest to move Nuremberg one field to the east and one to the northeast (to tile 41,44) and Munich one tile to the east. If this places it too close to Passau, replacing that with Linz could work well and also add another Austrian city.
Apart from that, Italy as a whole seems to be too far to west, too, but I guess you need a larger-than-to-scale Adriatic sea for gameplay purposes.

Sorry for those nitpicks. I am really looking forward to playing your mod :)

Best Regards,
Bjoern

Out of the unit packs for different countries made by Danrell, which ones are not in the mod? Specifically air unis of the UK, Germany, and USA. I played through UK, didn't see any Typhoon or Hurricane project, or Halifax etc. But it finished early, and weirdly. Germany came down and around from Russia and took out some of my allied city states, but then I pushed back and captured a city back, and suddenly Germany went on the allies side. Weird.

Anyway, if anyone could tell me I'd really appreciate it.

So, I just played as America for the 1942 map. I'm about 40 turns in. I think I've seen a few issues. I cannot build fighters in cities, even though they have a small aircraft factory. I can however, build heavy bombers and heavy fighters.

None of the projects work. I built the GRANT tank project, cannot build the tank. I've built the B-24 Liberator project, cannot build the Liberator. In some cities that I build ships in, they somehow are given land promotions automatically. Like rough terrain bonus and no penalty for amphibious assault.

I'm not sure if this is an issue or meant to be this way, but my economy goes down every turn. After every turn it drops about 5 gold per turn. It's quite annoying, and all I can do is produce wealth in cities, but that doesn't help for long. Gold per turn just keeps dropping, and eventually I'm stuck with all my cities producing wealth and still negative gold per turn.

Also, I didn't think you could have aircraft factories and a shipyard in the same city. Or two kinds of factories in one city. But I could, yet I don't know if this is wrong.

Any idea about this Gedemon? Thanks. :)

Is there a way to download the capture tile mod for normal civ playing. I really just want to capture tile not invade a whole city/country.

I've tried to start a new game now that I have G&K (starting game without G&K enabled but all others activated), so far the only issue I've encountered is that planes on interception duty no longer earn xp.

I've been playing very slowly so I've only taken Poland (playing as Germany) and only started my invasion of Scandinavia, but I'll post once/if anything weird happens.

I love the mod........I keep getting stuck at the fall of France.
So will attempt to run the game in dx9 to see if it changes.

3 extremely minor suggestions given all the good that is in this mod..............
'Fredericton', New Brunswick, Canada instead of Fredelloton
'Halifax', Nova Scotia Canada instead of Hailfax
'Charlottetown', PEI Canada instead of Charlotte town (its one word)

my minor contribution if no one else has said anything.

JCS

Tried to get this going again post G&K. Unfortunately that expansions seems to screw things up. Player colors were wrong, city-states are not displaying correctly, and several basic functions like diplo screen/city construction wouldn't work. This is too bad. CiV WWII will have to wait.

I took a look at maybe updating some of my old ww2 mods also, and couldn't even figure out a good place to start for getting them up to speed. One thing I'm sure of is it would be a lot more work than I thought. :(

Tried to get this going again post G&K. Unfortunately that expansions seems to screw things up. Player colors were wrong, city-states are not displaying correctly, and several basic functions like diplo screen/city construction wouldn't work. This is too bad. CiV WWII will have to wait.

I took a look at maybe updating some of my old ww2 mods also, and couldn't even figure out a good place to start for getting them up to speed. One thing I'm sure of is it would be a lot more work than I thought. :(

Alltho Im not far in my game everything seems to work ok with just G&K disabled and I still have all other DLC enabled (had to do that since something went quite wrong with them disabled), and the only issue Ive encountered so far is that fighers on intercept duty dont earn xp.

I recently installed the game, and seem unable to manage my cities at all (production, plot use allocation, etc..). It's practically frozen. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

I recently installed the game, and seem unable to manage my cities at all (production, plot use allocation, etc..). It's practically frozen. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Disable G&K under the DLC tab and you need to have the other DLC enabled, well atleast mongol one I think, then it should work ok

I just started playing this mod, and I'd like to offer my feedback.

First, I appreciate all the work that must have gone into this mod. I very much like the personnel/materiel system and how it forces me to consider a very realistic element of grand strategy. I'm also a fan of the higher hit points for land and air units, and I like the project system very much.

I have Gods and Kings installed, but I had to turn it off on the mods screen in order to get this mod working. Interestingly, once I did that, the leader speech sound file that played over the loading screen stopped working, and now I just hear the standard loading screen music.

I haven't encountered any repeatable bugs. There are occasional crashes, but they're not reproduceable, and so I set the game to autosave every turn and that helps.

I've been playing the 1936 scenario as Germany. I've had a hard time managing money - I don't purchase any units or improvements, but my expenses still seem to outrun my income, even when I build banks wherever I can and set production priority to gold. I have many of my most productive cities producing gold instead of units, personnel or materiel because I am trying to keep my treasury afloat.

By the time war broke out, both France and the U.K. had astonishing amounts of air power. I assume they've been building their militaries nonstop since 1936, because that's the only way I can imagine that I could have kept up with the amount of air units they have. I spend 3-5 minutes every turn watching the UK make air strike after air strike on the same target. They're capable of wiping out an entire division in one turn if they focus their power. That's terrifying, and rather unhistorical. I don't know if there's a way to alter this.

By and large, I like the way land combat works. I love that units capture territory, and I love the fact that I can cut the enemy's supply lines. I like that no single combat is deadly for any unit, and I mostly like the retreat system.

I'm not sure about naval combat, however. It takes a battleship 5-10 months of constant battle to sink a destroyer. That feels very wrong. I did read earlier in the thead that there are plans for a fleet system (which sounds very interesting), so maybe altering the single ship mechanics right now isn't on the drawing board, but I much preferred the way that rhettrongun had naval combat set up in his WWII mod, where battleships were absolutely lethal to smaller vessels. However, I like how much time it takes to repair naval vessels: this feels very accurate.

Oh, I also like that you can force embarkation to happen near a harbor. I think that's an excellent move.

Ultimately, I'm enjoying the scenario quite a bit. Thank you for all the work you've put in!

Thanks all for the feedbacks and comments :D

Here's a little explanation about the lack of update this last weeks, there are some of the mod's features that has been broken since pre-G&K patch.

The way the events are now called prevent some of the combat-related features to work:
- Retreating units from captured cities
- Give XP to fighters intercepting aircraft
- Capture city but not all the tiles linked to the city in Stalingrad scenario
- Track city bombing to re-base fighters for interception mission (still working for units bombing)
- Custom messages from combat when bombarding
- Create a combat log (a W.I.P. that would have been useful in hotseat to know which units were attacked, which has made interception, etc..)
- others I may have forgotten or not noted yet.

All this won't prevent the mod to work, but it has a big impact on the intended gameplay (especially the retreat from cities part, has the mod is based on territory conquest and units should take a long time to kill, destroying an entire air force in one move is game breaker IMO, as the large tile capture on city conquest for Stalingrad scenario)

So I'm still thinking of a way to fix that one, and I'll leave the other in stand-by, including the non-impacted features, that's the reason I can't give an ETA on next update.

And as already noted, to play the mod with G&K, the expansion must be disabled from the DLC menu. The other DLC are optional, except the Mongol DLC that must always be activated.

Disable G&K under the DLC tab and you need to have the other DLC enabled, well atleast mongol one I think, then it should work ok

So the mod is not a G&K Mod?
And what is the DLC tab, what is the other DLC? Sorry I'm a bit of a technophobe..

Thank's!

the DLC tab is the button with "DLC" marked on it in the main menu.

Some minor bug reports:

On the 1936 map, Prague is not connected by road or rail to any other city.

In Spain, the city "Cartogena" should probably be spelled Cartagena.

The Spanish city "Zargoza" should probably be either Zaragoza (Spanish) or Saragossa (English).

I got tired of the 1936 scenario. I was eventually spending 10 minutes watching the UK bomb cities and units every turn. So I've switched to the 1939 scenario.

I had no idea they were so different! The 1939 scenario is quite a bit more polished, and unit amounts are much more manageable. I've been enjoying it very much.

Some feedback:

By the time I am able to complete building Operation Seelowe, our attack on the USSR is only 6 turns away. This means I am fighting against the UK, Yugoslavia/Greece, and the Soviet Union at the same time. Very difficult on Deity.

Operation Seelowe is impressive, but the AI-controlled landing craft are extremely silly. They keep moving back and forth along the coastline. Some units have landed (many on the peninsula west of Plymouth, which is about the worst place they could land - only one unit can attack Plymouth from there), but the eastern force just keeps driving back and forth along the coastline. Norwich has no defenses, but they won't take Norwich. They keep passing available landing spots on the coast, just moving back and forth, and getting bombed into oblivion because they're so vulnerable on the water.

I think the AI controlling them is perhaps not accounting for the fact that their preferred landing spots are occupied by British units. So instead they swim around and die. If I had been able to control the invasion force, we would hold Norwich and Plymouth, but instead it looks like all of my invading units (the Seelowe units and my own reinforcements) are going to die on the beaches because there is no coordination.

Is there a way to fix this? I like Seelowe and I want to make it work, but I don't see how when the AI that controls them is so silly.

Top Bottom