[R&F] R&F Cultural Styles Preview in Asset Editor?

The Ottomans weren't a dynasty, they were a specific Turkish ethnic group, just like the Seljuks before them. Not to mention that the Ottoman Empire, not Turkey and not the Seljuk petty kingdoms, was a major political power in the Middle East and Eastern Europe for centuries. Both the civ and its leader should be Ottoman. If they want a surprise newcomer to the Middle East, there are lots of great options from the ancient era (Elam gets my vote) without dredging up the Seljuks or modern Turkey.

For Mandela, I can't believe they'd have South Africa as a civ given that for all but some thirty years in their whole History they were known for one of the most horrible and abusive oppression systems of their era. I know Mandela was part of the resistance to it, but what would be their ability? Their units? Improvements?

Seljuks were an immensely powerful empire by their own right, so if they're there, it's no "dredging". Altough the Ottomans descend from them so they could be considered the same civilisation by Civ's standarts.

Partially true, but the Ottomans were a different Turkic ethnic group brought in as a second wave of mercenaries (you'd think the Arabs would have learned their lesson the first time :p ) and the Seljuks were never nearly as powerful as the Ottomans, even before they fragmented into petty kingdoms.

Ottomans were a dynasty which is named after Osman Gazi, the first Ottoman ruler (Bey). Osman Gazi was from the Kayi branch of the Oguz Turks. The Seljuk Empire was founded by Tughrul and named after his grandfather Selcuk. The Seljuk dynasty were of the Kinik branch of the Oguz Turks. The Ottomans do not descend from the Seljuks but it is seen as the continuation of the Seljuk empire (of Rum especially). In fact the Ottoman beylik was part of the Seljuk Sultanate of Anatolia (Rum) until it was obvious it would not last long anymore. Similarly Turkey is a continuation of the Ottoman Empire, as Ataturk was an Ottoman general. I would not call (the dynasties of) the Ottoman Empire and the Seljuk Empire ethnically different, but rather culturally different since both are in the end Oguz Turks.

As for the cultural styles apparently there is not a proper palace style in the OP that would fit to Ottomans or the Seljuks. No, the Mughal style would not fit. Actually it is unfortunate that a Mughal style is used for Arabs, (Achamenid) Persia and Scythia. And even for India, I do think that a style could have been used that would fit to the leader.

It's the ancient monument for all civs. We've seen it in several live streams.

Interesting....seems like a very Eurocentric choice to use as an Ancient monument for all the Civs. I usually associate those style of megaliths with neolithic Europe. I am aware that megaliths exist in other parts of the world, like in Korea for example.

Interesting....seems like a very Eurocentric choice to use as an Ancient monument for all the Civs. I usually associate those style of megaliths with neolithic Europe. I am aware that megaliths exist in other parts of the world, like in Korea for example.
In my opinion, ancient Brazilians and Australians could easily pile on a bunch of rocks to make a monument.

Think about how under-utilized some of the palace art styles are.

Certain civs could jump in really easily with those. How about Babylon, Assyria, Mali, Ethiopia, Maya, Inca...

As I mentioned, it seems possible kampungs existed long before Europeans documented them - so while they aren't particularly associated with the Majapahit it's possible they were in use then.

I just wish they'd use better city lists for Indonesia - replacing a Dutch capital with a made-up one is not a great improvement. The Khmer have something of the same issue. Civ VI has done a slightly better job than Civ IV, but there's still the old 'double-counting' issue with the same place represented as two different cities, one using the native and one the archaeological name (such as Angkor Thom and Yasodharapura), and simply the general awkwardness of using two naming traditions instead of choosing either the native or the archaeological one and applying it consistently.

Hello Constantinople.

monuments.PNG

Doesn't the RSA monument look a bit like the Mapuche Chemamull? Or it is just some generic Mesoamerican/or Andean design?

View attachment 486282
Doesn't the RSA monument look a bit like the Mapuche Chemamull? Or it is just some generic Mesoamerican/or Andean design?

Besides the phallic shape inherent in all the monuments, not really. But RSA would undoubtedly be the Mapuche's monument style regardless, especially since the Chemamull would be an improvement if it's their UI.

Top Bottom