[R&F] R&F Cultural Styles Preview in Asset Editor?

Cleo speaking Middle Egyptian means that someone with animation skills should be able to mod her into Hatshepsut with only a few graphic tweaks.

Regarding Indonesia, it's probably worth keeping in mind that in Civilization it's pretty much concrete that the Indonesian civ (for V and VI, at least) primarily represents the Majapahit Empire and is called Indonesia for the purposes of name recognition (i.e. the average westerner probably does not know what the Majapahit Empire is, much less how to spell or pronounce it.)

That much, at least, isn't really blobbing or even the developer or publisher's fault -- that's just a failure of Western education and an unfortunate compromise that needed to be made as a result.

That much, at least, isn't really blobbing or even the developer or publisher's fault -- that's just a failure of Western education and an unfortunate compromise that needed to be made as a result.
Just to add on is they also get the Kampung which doesn't directly deal with the Majaphit Empire as well. Early on in Civ 5 they were considering using this name, but many of the designers had no idea what it was, so they ended up using the name Indonesia.

Just to add on is they also get the Kampung which doesn't directly deal with the Majaphit Empire as well. Early on in Civ 5 they were considering using this name, but many of the designers had no idea what it was, so they ended up using the name Indonesia.

As I mentioned, it seems possible kampungs existed long before Europeans documented them - so while they aren't particularly associated with the Majapahit it's possible they were in use then.

I just wish they'd use better city lists for Indonesia - replacing a Dutch capital with a made-up one is not a great improvement. The Khmer have something of the same issue. Civ VI has done a slightly better job than Civ IV, but there's still the old 'double-counting' issue with the same place represented as two different cities, one using the native and one the archaeological name (such as Angkor Thom and Yasodharapura), and simply the general awkwardness of using two naming traditions instead of choosing either the native or the archaeological one and applying it consistently.

As I mentioned, it seems possible kampungs existed long before Europeans documented them - so while they aren't particularly associated with the Majapahit it's possible they were in use then.

I just wish they'd use better city lists for Indonesia - replacing a Dutch capital with a made-up one is not a great improvement. The Khmer have something of the same issue. Civ VI has done a slightly better job than Civ IV, but there's still the old 'double-counting' issue with the same place represented as two different cities, one using the native and one the archaeological name (such as Angkor Thom and Yasodharapura), and simply the general awkwardness of using two naming traditions instead of choosing either the native or the archaeological one and applying it consistently.

Majapahit is a "made-up" city? I thought it was just another name for Trowulan?
I agree that the Indonesian/Khmer city lists could use some improvements though.

I just wish they'd use better city lists for Indonesia - replacing a Dutch capital with a made-up one is not a great improvement.

Majapahit is a "made-up" city? I thought it was just another name for Trowulan?
It was the original name of the village where the Majaphahit Empire started, then it changed names several times. I'm not sure which is was called when Gitarja was queen though.

It was the original name of the village where the Majaphahit Empire started, then it changed names several times. I'm not sure which is was called when Gitarja was queen though.

According to the English wiki page, Trowulan was also called Wilwatikta back then. That seems even harder than "Majapahit" to pronounce.

The only thing that concerns me is that RSA stand for South America. While I know the list is incomplete all I can hope for is that Brazil gets its own unique Palace as well and maybe the Mapuche.

Last edited:
The only thing that concerns me is that RSA stand for South America. While I know the list is incomplete all I can hope for is that Brazil gets its own unique Palace as well and maybe the Mapuche.
That's an old palace anyway. The Aztecs use it now. But hopefully Brazil does change.

In a parallel universe where 'Brazil' existed since the dawn of human history I don't see a problem with ancient era Brazilian units looking a bit Apocalypto.
I can live with that more than the Cree. They would never have lived with Jaguars.

I can live with that more than the Cree. They would never have lived with Jaguars.

Perhaps a hat based on mountain lion/cougar/pumas would suffice?
I think that would make more sense for the Cree units, besides a helmet based on a wolf's head.

Perhaps a hat based on mountain lion/cougar/pumas would suffice?
I think that would make more sense for the Cree units, besides a helmet based on a wolf's head.
Go with bear. I don't know if it's attested for the Cree, but it's at least attested in the general area.

Go with bear. I don't know if it's attested for the Cree, but it's at least attested in the general area.

I forgot about the bear...:p

Really should be the other way around: people have a habit of slipping into whatever language they're most comfortable with when angry, and Egyptian would have been a foreign language for her.

Well, unless her mother was Egyptian (she probably wasn't, but there's always that theory). I guess I think of Greek as an international language, but the game doesn't really work for roleplay that way.

Top Bottom