1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] R&F Cultural Styles Preview in Asset Editor?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by thecrazyscot, Jan 16, 2018.

1. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Cleo speaking Middle Egyptian means that someone with animation skills should be able to mod her into Hatshepsut with only a few graphic tweaks.

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  2. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Warlord

Regarding Indonesia, it's probably worth keeping in mind that in Civilization it's pretty much concrete that the Indonesian civ (for V and VI, at least) primarily represents the Majapahit Empire and is called Indonesia for the purposes of name recognition (i.e. the average westerner probably does not know what the Majapahit Empire is, much less how to spell or pronounce it.)

That much, at least, isn't really blobbing or even the developer or publisher's fault -- that's just a failure of Western education and an unfortunate compromise that needed to be made as a result.

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Just to add on is they also get the Kampung which doesn't directly deal with the Majaphit Empire as well. Early on in Civ 5 they were considering using this name, but many of the designers had no idea what it was, so they ended up using the name Indonesia.

AvianBritish likes this.
  4. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

As I mentioned, it seems possible kampungs existed long before Europeans documented them - so while they aren't particularly associated with the Majapahit it's possible they were in use then.

I just wish they'd use better city lists for Indonesia - replacing a Dutch capital with a made-up one is not a great improvement. The Khmer have something of the same issue. Civ VI has done a slightly better job than Civ IV, but there's still the old 'double-counting' issue with the same place represented as two different cities, one using the native and one the archaeological name (such as Angkor Thom and Yasodharapura), and simply the general awkwardness of using two naming traditions instead of choosing either the native or the archaeological one and applying it consistently.

VermelhoRed likes this.
  5. werothegreat

werothegreat Warlord

At least Cleopatra speaking Egyptian is better than Ramses speaking Arabic.

Duuk, Inawordyes, evanaurora and 5 others like this.
  6. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Majapahit is a "made-up" city? I thought it was just another name for Trowulan?
    I agree that the Indonesian/Khmer city lists could use some improvements though.

Meluhhan and TahamiTsunami like this.
  7. Alexander's Hetaroi

It was the original name of the village where the Majaphahit Empire started, then it changed names several times. I'm not sure which is was called when Gitarja was queen though.

TahamiTsunami and Guandao like this.
  8. Guandao

According to the English wiki page, Trowulan was also called Wilwatikta back then. That seems even harder than "Majapahit" to pronounce.

9. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Prince

The only thing that concerns me is that RSA stand for South America. While I know the list is incomplete all I can hope for is that Brazil gets its own unique Palace as well and maybe the Mapuche.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    evanaurora, Guandao and VermelhoRed like this.
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

That's an old palace anyway. The Aztecs use it now. But hopefully Brazil does change.

Zaarin, Guandao and VermelhoRed like this.
  11. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I seriously hope that each vanilla civ and new civ is more individually customized in their art work wether it be buildings, units, etc. It just adds weight and richness to the game, and it does make game playing more enjoyable. That added to the music really does something to me.

12. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Don't forget the units! Brazilian melee units have jaguar helms like the Aztecs!

AvianBritish and Siptah like this.
  13. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

In a parallel universe where 'Brazil' existed since the dawn of human history I don't see a problem with ancient era Brazilian units looking a bit Apocalypto.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

I can live with that more than the Cree. They would never have lived with Jaguars.

DeutschDachs, Siptah, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  15. Guandao

Perhaps a hat based on mountain lion/cougar/pumas would suffice?
    I think that would make more sense for the Cree units, besides a helmet based on a wolf's head.

16. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

17. Guandao

18. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Go with bear. I don't know if it's attested for the Cree, but it's at least attested in the general area.

TahamiTsunami and Guandao like this.
  19. Guandao

I forgot about the bear...:p

Zaarin likes this.
  20. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Well, unless her mother was Egyptian (she probably wasn't, but there's always that theory). I guess I think of Greek as an international language, but the game doesn't really work for roleplay that way.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.