[R&F] R&F Cultural Styles Preview in Asset Editor?

A medieval Scottish civ doesn't seem Celtish to me. I still want a classical Celtic civ, and they should go for the Gauls. But I agree this does mean that they are out.

Why? We already have so many medieval civs.

If the civ is genuinely Scotland rather than the Celts it's presumably a response to all the complaints about the Celts as a blob civ. They've taken the largest bit of the Celts not otherwise represented in the game geographically (i.e. not Gaul) and given them a more coherent identity.

Though I'm still more inclined to think the civ will still be called The Celts.

If the civ is genuinely Scotland rather than the Celts it's presumably a response to all the complaints about the Celts as a blob civ. They've taken the largest bit of the Celts not otherwise represented in the game geographically (i.e. not Gaul) and given them a more coherent identity.

Though I'm still more inclined to think the civ will still be called The Celts.
Wouldn't Ireland be the largest after Gaul, or do we count Armagh as representation? Regardless I hope the civ is not The Celts especially if it really is essentially Scotland. I also hope it isn't actually Braveheart: Civ Edition.

The civ won't be called "The Celts" if it's just Scotland. It was only given such a generic name before because it was a freakish amalgamation of 2000 years of history. I'm hopeful that what we know so far points to the final retirement of the last ridiculous blob civ left.

The civ won't be called "The Celts" if it's just Scotland. It was only given such a generic name before because it was a freakish amalgamation of 2000 years of history. I'm hopeful that what we know so far points to the final retirement of the last ridiculous blob civ left.
Um.... "Greece" is an amalgamation of the Greek city-states, and many of us are clamoring for an "Italy" blob of the renaissance city-states.

Blobs are only bad if they're BADLY MODELED blobs :D

(Lookin' at you here, "Native America")

The Celts were a very badly modeled blob in Civ V, and even if they improved on them significantly, they could at most get a "kinda badly modeled" blob. Celts were not homogenenous tree lovers that piled big stones and painted their faces blue, they were a diverse cultural and linguistic group that had many individual cultures that are far more fitting in the way the Civ game defines "civilization". Now, I'd prefer a Gaulish civ to represent the Celtic peoples, but I'd much rather have Scotland than the blob any day.

They should have added the Picts or the Gauls instead of the medieval Scots.Shame we will never get a proper ancient celtic civilization in Civ 6.

Um.... "Greece" is an amalgamation of the Greek city-states, and many of us are clamoring for an "Italy" blob of the renaissance city-states.

Blobs are only bad if they're BADLY MODELED blobs :D

(Lookin' at you here, "Native America")
The Greeks were culturally and linguistically unified; you don't need political unity to be a civilization. The Celts were led by a woman from the first century speaking a language from the twentieth century with a Medieval capital and a fantasy unique unit and unique ability. Big difference between that and the Greeks or Mayans.

They should have added the Picts or the Gauls instead of the medieval Scots.Shame we will never get a proper ancient celtic civilization in Civ 6.
We know too little about the Picts, including whether or not they were even Celts. But yes please to Gaul.

It's sad that the only reason I'm excited for Scotland at the moment is because it's not Celts.

I'm hopeful that what we know so far points to the final retirement of the last ridiculous blob civ left.
What about Polynesia? I would much rather have something along the lines of the Maori if a Polynesian Civ comes back for Civ6.

What about Polynesia? I would much rather have something along the lines of the Maori if a Polynesian Civ comes back for Civ6.
I think if we see a Polynesian civilization in Civ6, it will be a specific Polynesian civ like the Māori or Hawai'i. The devs have been much better about choosing specific civs over blobs this time around. (Also, in your signature, Blackfoot is a single word. ;) )

The Celts were a very badly modeled blob in Civ V, and even if they improved on them significantly, they could at most get a "kinda badly modeled" blob. Celts were not homogenenous tree lovers that piled big stones and painted their faces blue, they were a diverse cultural and linguistic group that had many individual cultures that are far more fitting in the way the Civ game defines "civilization". Now, I'd prefer a Gaulish civ to represent the Celtic peoples, but I'd much rather have Scotland than the blob any day.
Sorry, I wasn't clear: the Celts are a bad blob, too. :D

...but I was still hoping for Gauls / Picts / Visigoths / almost anything ahead of Mel Gibsons.

"Plot twist": Every city-state gets its own palace architecture and Glasgow or Edinburgh is added as a city-state.

One can hope... :shifty:
Toronto would finally have a palace that doesn't look like the US Capitol and look more like this:

The Ontario Legislative Building in downtown Toronto; the provincial parliament meets in that building

I think if we see a Polynesian civilization in Civ6, it will be a specific Polynesian civ like the Māori or Hawai'i. The devs have been much better about choosing specific civs over blobs this time around. (Also, in your signature, Blackfoot is a single word. ;) )
Thank you for the correction, and yea they better. It was sad to have a scenario of several possible Polynesian Civs in Civ5 yet have to play as a weird amalgamation of all of them.

The Greeks were culturally and linguistically unified; you don't need political unity to be a civilization. The Celts were led by a woman from the first century speaking a language from the twentieth century with a Medieval capital and a fantasy unique unit and unique ability.

Don't forget that said capital was an Anglo-Norman city to boot.

Wouldn't Ireland be the largest after Gaul, or do we count Armagh as representation? Regardless I hope the civ is not The Celts especially if it really is essentially Scotland. I also hope it isn't actually Braveheart: Civ Edition.

Geographically. The modern population of Ireland is basically the same size as that of Scotland, so that's an interesting point.

Ireland also has Giant's Causeway...

Don't forget that said capital was an Anglo-Norman city to boot.

Geographically. The modern population of Ireland is basically the same size as that of Scotland, so that's an interesting point.

Ireland also has Giant's Causeway...

I'm 70% sure they picked Scotland specifically so they could have the "Pictish Warrior" as the UU. I really hope Firaxis surprises me though.

I'm 70% sure they picked Scotland specifically so they could have the "Pictish Warrior" as the UU. I really hope Firaxis surprises me though.

If they're going to go for that sort of anachronism it seems to defeat the point of rebranding The Blob. It seems more likely William Wallace just has broader recognition than Brian Boru or whoever else they could choose for Ireland.

I think somebody at Firaxis just likes Scotland. Rising Tide's North Sea Alliance seemed pretty Scottish for a faction that was meant to be Scandinavia and Britain, and V's Celts were headlined by Edinburgh, Pictish Warriors and Ceilidh Halls (although that's pan-Gaelic). Scotland has good 'brand recognition' as well. The fantasy Pictish warriors was a symptom of the blob imo, it would be utterly absurd to use it in lieu of pretty much anything else.

AFAIK historically Ireland was the more populous of the two (potentially by a factor of 3:1 by the start of the 19th century) but the depopulation that followed the 1840s famine closed the gap significantly.

Top Bottom