[R&F] R&F Cultural Styles Preview in Asset Editor?

We know too little about the Picts, including whether or not they were even Celts. But yes please to Gaul.

True. Though I subscribe to the theory that they're really the same people as the Britons. Briton apparently meant painted and Picts definitely meant painted (it comes from Latin, after all). So, even though the Roman talk about them as if they just "appeared," I think their records just sucked. But yeah, going with the Picts would be difficult.

They should pick a leader from the Kingdom of Alba.

If the civ is genuinely Scotland rather than the Celts it's presumably a response to all the complaints about the Celts as a blob civ. They've taken the largest bit of the Celts not otherwise represented in the game geographically (i.e. not Gaul) and given them a more coherent identity.

Though I'm still more inclined to think the civ will still be called The Celts.

That would be the Irish, who would have made more sense in a lot of ways.

Before the Famine, Ireland's population was about 2/3 that of England's to Scotland's 1/3.

I have only now realized...

There is so much diversity in those palaces, they cover almost all I could think of...

...except Arabia, Persia and Mongolia,

Wait, so what styles will those civs get? None of the existing ones fit them at all. No way in he Arabia and Persia would get ancient Egypt or Sumer, even Paradox wouldn't do that :p

Also, I have no idea what palace would Cree and Georgia get.

Wait, so what styles will those civs get? None of the existing ones fit them at all. No way in he Arabia and Persia would get ancient Egypt or Sumer, even Paradox wouldn't do that :p
Also, I have no idea what palace would Cree and Georgia get.

Mongolia has its own unique style, you can see it in their first look video, Arabia and Persia share the Mughal Palace design(alongside Scythia and of course India) and the Cree get their own palace, again we saw this in the First Look. Georgia will also be sharing with Russia which is the RBAL in the list. However it is possible that every Civ will get their own palace at some point. With Arabia, Persia and Scythia they could get their own palace but they haven't been seen yet. Im going off information pre-R&F for them. The list of Palaces here is incomplete so they dont have the Polish, Australian, or Nubian palaces which are already in the game. Korea also gets their own palace as well and so do the Dutch.

If they wished to break the Celts apart, they should always have chosen for a classical Celtic civ instead of this. I even preferred Ireland above this. I honestly wished they kept the Celtic blob civ, but good if we get both Gauls and Scotland than i'm okay with it. And change Scotland for Ireland in civ 7.

The civ won't be called "The Celts" if it's just Scotland. It was only given such a generic name before because it was a freakish amalgamation of 2000 years of history. I'm hopeful that what we know so far points to the final retirement of the last ridiculous blob civ left.

Celts had pretty distinct and more or less unified culture at around IV century BC, despite covering huge territory. I wouldn't consider them "blon" and quite like the Celt representation in Civ5 (the only complaint is focusing on British Celts in city names).

Scotland is a bit different story, though. They were already on the far end of the Celtic territories. They survived Roman seizing of Celtic lands, but by this time their culture was so different from generic Celtic, what scientiest didn't consider Picts to be celts at all for a long time.

In short, Scotland is ok, generic Celts (before and during Roman conquests) are ok. Celts, represented with Scottish leader are not so great idea. Wouldn't bother me too much, though.

If they wished to break the Celts apart, they should always have chosen for a classical Celtic civ instead of this. I even preferred Ireland above this. I honestly wished they kept the Celtic blob civ, but good if we get both Gauls and Scotland than i'm okay with it. And change Scotland for Ireland in civ 7.
Anything is an improvement over The Blob. I'll take modern Cornwall over The Blob. :p

Celts had pretty distinct and more or less unified culture at around IV century BC, despite covering huge territory. I wouldn't consider them "blon" and quite like the Celt representation in Civ5 (the only complaint is focusing on British Celts in city names).

Scotland is a bit different story, though. They were already on the far end of the Celtic territories. They survived Roman seizing of Celtic lands, but by this time their culture was so different from generic Celtic, what scientiest didn't consider Picts to be celts at all for a long time.

In short, Scotland is ok, generic Celts (before and during Roman conquests) are ok. Celts, represented with Scottish leader are not so great idea. Wouldn't bother me too much, though.
...You wouldn't consider a civ led by a first century British queen, ruling from an Anglo-Norman Scottish city, with a city-list from modern Celtic nations, an Irish dance hall UB, and a pure fantasy UA a blob civ? That's not even mentioning the nonsense she was wearing. :p I have to ask, did you consider the Native Americans a blob civ? Because that's the only thing I can think of that's blobbier. :crazyeye: But if you were trying to make an argument for Gaul, yes, I've been arguing for them for years. :p There is no such thing as a "generic Celt" unless you go back to Halstatt or La Tène cultures, and the Picts still aren't unanimously agreed to be Celts. Are they probably Celts? The evidence leans that way, but it's a bit subjective. Of course, other linguists are beginning to criticize the notion of a Celtic branch at all.

Civ 6 will certainly go down as the outing with the most left field civ choices.

Restricting ourselves to Europe, we don't even have Portugal yet. If they felt they had to test the waters with something new, Hungary hasn't appeared once in the series.

Oh well, I'll buy it and like it, most of us will :p

...You wouldn't consider a civ led by a first century British queen, ruling from an Anglo-Norman Scottish city, with a city-list from modern Celtic nations, an Irish dance hall UB, and a pure fantasy UA a blob civ? That's not even mentioning the nonsense she was wearing.

First-century British were still very close to original Celtic/Gaul culture. Edinburgh was settled they before Angles went to Britain. Ceilidh is not purely Irish - it's the same in Scotland and even in France they are recognized as part of Gaelic culture (although they were surely imported from scotland and Ireland). Speaking about pure fantasy UA - that's not uncommon at all. Yes, those Civ5 Celts were shifted towards British Celts, but the shift was quite consistent.

:p I have to ask, did you consider the Native Americans a blob civ? Because that's the only thing I can think of that's blobbier. :crazyeye:

Surery Native Americans were a blob civ :)

But if you were trying to make an argument for Gaul, yes, I've been arguing for them for years. :p There is no such thing as a "generic Celt" unless you go back to Halstatt or La Tène cultures, and the Picts still aren't unanimously agreed to be Celts. Are they probably Celts? The evidence leans that way, but it's a bit subjective. Of course, other linguists are beginning to criticize the notion of a Celtic branch at all.

As far as I know, decipher of Pictish symbols in the recent years proved their Celtic origins quite well.

First-century British were still very close to original Celtic/Gaul culture. Edinburgh was settled they before Angles went to Britain. Ceilidh is not purely Irish - it's the same in Scotland and even in France they are recognized as part of Gaelic culture (although they were surely imported from scotland and Ireland). Speaking about pure fantasy UA - that's not uncommon at all. Yes, those Civ5 Celts were shifted towards British Celts, but the shift was quite consistent.
It's about the same as treating France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Romania, and Medieval Germany as a single civ led by Tiberius ruling from Strasbourg and speaking Romansh and wearing a French beret, but I guess if it works... :p

As far as I know, decipher of Pictish symbols in the recent years proved their Celtic origins quite well.
Their language is very poorly attested. We know their kings had Celtic names, but that doesn't prove they were Celtic--the Mitanni kings took Indo-Aryan names but the Mitanni were Hurrians. Like I said, the evidence is leaning towards that they were Celts (which is...disappointing, honestly), but it's still very far from proven.

Really?

So weird. No Italy, no Ottomans, no Mali (or other West-African civ) and no Inca's. Disappointed with Zulu and Scotland though.

I don't believe in the Inca's + Maya's DLC theory. Definitely not. It's going to be Inca's + Isabella. Maya's are going to be appear in an expansion pack later on. Ottomans + Byzantium is plausible, but we also could get Hungary.

And why are Mughals mentioned here?
what they'll probably do is make a Inca+Maya+Isabella to satisfy all the demands of the the fans

Just wondering, how much do you suppose Sean Connery would charge to do about 10 lines of voice acting? Billy Connolly? Gerard Butler?
He's permanently retired from literally everything. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the win.

He's permanently retired from literally everything. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the win.
Not entirely true. He voiced James Bond in the video game adaptation of “From Russia with Love” from 2005. In an interview he said he enjoyed the unique experience and would consider voice acting again (though he did stand his ground on never acting in film again).

Last edited:
I'll be hornswaggled. He has an imdb entry in 2012 as a voice actor. Prior to that is the 2005 one you mention. Nothing since.

A medieval Scottish leader would probably speak in both Gaelic and English, much like other bilingual leaders such as Gandhi and Catherine.

Although Robert the Bruce was supposedly trilingual and we might even get him speaking Anglo-Norman French as well...

The odds of a post 12th century Scottish king addressing an embassy in Gaelic are nil.

Top Bottom