Race selection in MOO1 and balance

(Been following the discussion silently here.)

People play with less than 5 opponents? I always max it out.

It has, but I haven't drafted out a cogent response and the conversation keeps going. So I keep watching.

But yeah, the 5 opponents thing--I can't think of a game where I haven't played with 5 on the map.

In fact playing less number of opponents rise a difficulty if you play with weak races.

After giving some thought about the Cats versus Birds question, I finally realized that maybe whether they are good at a research field or stink at it becomes relevant.

Alkari are great at Propulsion research. They stink at Force Fields.

Mrrshan are great at Weapon research. They stink at Construction.

I am thinking about the very early game where we are claiming systems. There is a certain number of systems, depending on the map, that we can claim before having to research a Propulsion technology such as Deuterium Fuel Cells.

So if this number is 2, then the production queue is Build Colony Ship, Build Colony Ship, Research Deuterium Fuel Cells, Build Colony Ship. The Colony Ship usually costs 570BC. At Impossible, the Deuterium Fuel Cells cost 1000 RP for the Mrrshan and 600 RP for the Alkari.

So the Alkari save 400 RP, or most of a Colony Ship with their research bonus. This should work out to about 5 turns in the early part of the game.

Here is how I group the races:

Group 1: Klackons, Psilons, Humans
Lasting and powerful economic advantage.

Group 2: Meklar, Silicoids, Sakkra
Either early game or late game advantage. Varying.

Group 3: Alkari, Bulrathi, Darlok, Mrrshan
Military advantage not as good as economic advantage. Play for the fun of having the military advantage.

Currently playing through the races at hard level. Will try Impossible in a couple of months or so.

Sakkra are better than Humans if you dont plan to rely on other races, eg they are better in early stage for sure, when you dont have any contacts yet, but humans arent weak on themselves, and can achive a huge bonus later. But i'd value Sakkras above still. Meklars are really weak race, compared to powerhouse ones, they are worse than Silikoids for sure, they are better than war races, but cannot compete with real production ones. And yes, you nailed the importance of RP, as RP is a prod too - less RP used for same achievement = more prod.

Top Bottom