Radar map color for a tribe in MGE?

Most of the tribes can easily be seen on the radar map, but:
1. One has poor contrast and needs to be more intensely blue.
2. The black tribe color is faintly seen on the radar map, almost a very mild gray against the green terrain.

Where is this set? One post that I read elsewhere stated this is part of the unit.gif file so if you alter that color, you screw up the palette.

None of the presets in the tribe editor will do. Is this hardcoded in MGE and based upon the the tribe order?

Attachments

• Sl_palette_flags.png
    Sl_palette_flags.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 79
I can't affect a change because I can't save it as a proper gif. Strangely enough, you cannot alter this with the built-in editor but you have to change the color in a program and use a specific shade using the Civ 2 pallete.

The only significant issue is the Takeda horizonal bar for flag seven is a weird grey color that washes out against the green terrain.

Any high contrast against green will do. In suspect this is the fill color for the tribe against number values too so it can't be black. Orange would work.

Attachments

• Cities.gif
    Cities.gif
    63.9 KB · Views: 113
Try the simple MS Paint program that is included in Windows and save it as a .bmp 256 colours file. That always worked for me. There's no need to use and convert a .gif file.
Well I would IF I were using a Windows machine. The problem is I am using an Android tablet running a semiversion of Linux and then running a Wine version to emulate to allow Civ 2 to operate.

I thought that the horizontal bar for the radar map color (which is very pale gray) could simply be made the proper distinct orange by editing it in the city editor for flag 7. Nope. You can edit the flag icon not the radar color bar. To change that means opening up the City.bmp in a paint program and then exporting it to a gif. I can edit it just fine in a png but cannot do a low level gif format that Civ 2 understands.

It's insane because this is a minute length edit job.

I am so close to a release that maybe with testing it could happen in a month or less as everythings seems to be working. Now it's just inserting events and a minor change to the radar map color. I already have the title page chosen and just need to have a layer of text on it, but that also needs a gif export.

This is the cities.png that I cannot get to convert properly to a gif.

I could start from scratch with the generic cities.gif and blank it out and re-add in all the architecture but the radar map colors would be wrong as well as screwing up the flags.

At this point IF I could just find a converter from png to the proper gif, then that is the sole holdup.

Attachments

• cities.png
    cities.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 91
I found it and it works within Win10, I hope it does the same for you. It's very simple, you just have to click on LoadUnits.GIF (but works for all the other graphical files, too). And then click on SaveUnits.GIF. A progress window will appear for a very short time, but you don't have to do anything else. I'm not sure if it works if you just replace or reload the original file. I think you had to start it all over freshly or with another file after finishing one. Try it and let me know if it works. All the other options provided by this tool are obsolete and would only work on a vanilla version of Civ2. But the gif-to-gif(Civ2) converter should work

Attachments

• Tools & Patches.zip
    243 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help. I definitely plan to credit all the helpful people who have positively contributed to this mod and just assisting by answering all my questions on a venerable but still amazing old game.

Most Civ 2 utilities do not run under Wine emulation on a Linux based Android tablet. This one you supplied which modified the Rules.txt and Unit.gifs was able to run under emulation but garbled the gifs that had been already converted from png edits.

It may prove helpful in the future though. All the very useful utilities like:
Cpu throttle:
TOTPP
Civ Tweek
Civ Extended
These will Not run under Wine emulation on Androids.

Utilities which will operate:
Civ Unlimited
AI Hostility patch

So in summation, one can use Photosuite under Android linux and make modifications and export to png just fine. So any modder can edit any txt file and make maps and edit graphics. What they cannot seem to do is export to a usable gif that Civ 2 can translate.

Anyone running an Android tablet can use several different ways to run Civ 2 under linux.
They can:
1. Use dosbox and create a Windows 3.11 or a Windows XP partition and load Civ 2 there. Low end Android users should try Windows 3.11 but better tablet owners should try a Windows XP partition.
2. Use Exagear if you tried it in the past as while it's no longer available from Google Play, if you ever tried it once, then unless you deleted it from the Google Play library then you still can run it.

Ways to edit graphics for Android users are very limited that will work for Civ 2.
1. Run Photosuite as it's the only high end paint/photo editor that seems to work. All others are able to create art but not useful for Civ 2 modding.
2. Try to run Paint Shop Pro based on a Windows OS partition. It will not directly run under Exagear.
3. While online paint/photo editors exist, I've tried probably a dozen and they serve no useful purpose for Civ 2 modding.
4. As a pixel editor within Civ 2, you can do quite a lot to generate new graphics for say the units.gif or can take an existing unit from another mod and edit it be recoloring. I did that several times.

You can create a layer that is extremely useful for the terrain. I'm not sure nonmodders realize the power of the altered terrain1.guy made by Knighttime. Because there are several versions that:
1. Blanked out irrigation, mining, and farmland
2. Blanked out various resources.

Then anyone can pixel edit within Civ 2 and now the terrain in monumentally better. Look at these graphics or better yet create a new mod folder and replace the terrain and witness the results. Now much of the clutter has been removed and yet a very well layered and clear depiction of very lovely terrain now exists.

After combining a couple of cities.gif files into one cities.bmp then the landscape is very Japanese and immersive. It looks stunning consdering the fact that Civ 2 is more than two decades old.

Attachments

• terrain1.gif
    terrain1.gif
    45.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Terrain2.gif
    Terrain2.gif
    53.2 KB · Views: 75
  • TERRAIN1.BMP
    301.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I didn't quite get it, I'm no native English speaker. Does "was able to run under emulation but garbled the gifs that had been already converted from png edits" mean it works the way it should or not?
The utility converts gifs into gifs. It does not seem to convert png to gifs.

Paint programs or online gifs often have a comment attribute that cannot understood by the Civ 2 engine.

Certain paint programs will properly edit existing Civ 2 gif files or properly convert png to gif files.

Yeah, that's what it always did, it converted gifs Civ2 couldn't use into gifs Civ2 could use. It was a lot of help 20 years ago, because errors always occured when you saved gifs yourself.

I can't understand what's wrong with that. Any other program can turn png or bmp into gif. (Or can't you do that on a tablet?) And then the gif is run through this tool once in order to be used in Civ2. At least that's how it used to work on PCs.

Yeah, that's what it always did, it converted gifs Civ2 couldn't use into gifs Civ2 could use. It was a lot of help 20 years ago, because errors always occured when you saved gifs yourself.

I can't understand what's wrong with that. Any other program can turn png or bmp into gif. (Or can't you do that on a tablet?) And then the gif is run through this tool once in order to be used in Civ2. At least that's how it used to work on PCs.
I thanked you for trying but for Photosuite, that will edit the gif into a png...but it won't export to a gif which is weird.

I found a converter which will turn a png into a gif, but these converted gifs cannot be interpreted by Civ 2.

I was hoping that the utility program would remedy this by fixing the converted gif into one that Civ 2 could parse. Nope.

But thank you for trying. It's made to convert unit.gif files. It may not work for cities.gif or terrain1.gif files.

So far there isn't a single paint/photo program available for the Android in my version of Linux (which is 4.1 or so) that is a decent program. When Gimp became available, it was a big deal as that is normally a great program. I suspect the developer rushed a version out without testing it.

That Android version of Gimp got terrible reviews as it was so so unstable. So it's currently unavailable.

This is the cities.png that I cannot get to convert properly to a gif.

I could start from scratch with the generic cities.gif and blank it out and re-add in all the architecture but the radar map colors would be wrong as well as screwing up the flags.

At this point IF I could just find a converter from png to the proper gif, then that is the sole holdup.
OK, I did one more for you. I think the attached file is what you want, let me know if it doesn't work.

Attachments

• Cities.gif
    Cities.gif
    63.9 KB · Views: 149
OK, I did one more for you. I think the attached file is what you want, let me know if it doesn't work.
Thanks Knighttime! That fixed the map issue and the poorly appearing text issue in the casualty reports under the Defense advisor too.

Yes Metro Polis. I know about the difference in the png files and color versus the gif needing 8 bit in MGE. The converter is set for 8 bit but when it does the conversion, something else is wrong. There is a known issue with a comment field. I had hoped the gif utility you provided would fix that.

I wonder why no one has ever taken one of the cities, say the smallest ones and taken off the top and scaled it and use it for a fort? This seems straight forward. Then the mod would look even more immersive with a Japanese flavor. That's something I might do last after finishing the title gif. Then the Japanese citadels would be surrounded by these smaller rings of true Japanese fortresses. It's overkill but the aesthetics would be superb.

Since the terrain issue was remedied, and looks great, there are little thatched houses that appear on the very best terrain (rich farmland). I may put a house on the grasslands terrain too that looks different. Then the land looks spectacular like real cities. Now irrigation is properly layered with very tiny blue lines and if farmed, then specks appear showing growth. And a simple orange mark appears on every mined hill and mountain. It looks outstanding. The great aspect is now anyone can use the terrain for their mods.

The title.gif will feature one of two famous Japanese woodblock artwork with skulls in them. One features an aging daimyo musing upon a snowy landscape and sees skulls in what should be a pleasant scene as he thinks of all the deaths he and his samurai have caused due to War. The other features samurai in a Kabuki play and seeing a ghastly apparition of Death. Both have the soldier's nightmares on the cost oftheir responsibilities. Which skull woodblock is better for the title.gif? Which do you prefer?

The tech tree is essentially done with two leftovers should I do naval fleets. I might have a wako fleet and an atakebune fleet as late appearing naval challenges.

Around this time period, the Wako were pirates who constantly hassled the coastline. One event will likely be a wako pirate appears far out to sea and then might be troublesome. Since the players and the AI are transporting units and potentially whole armies, then imagine losing five whole armies due to piracy. I can hear the complaints already. But actually during the Mongol invasions, both times tsnumais came and wiped out the Mongol fleets. Otherwise the Mongols would have likely been very successful.

One of the reserved units is a tsunami and it acts in an amphibious capacity. It has the effect like a barbarian army and would be triggered by an event. So it could randomly wreck the coastal cities then move inland.

About 1467, numerous defensive armies ominously lurk near the borderlands. The AI realizes they are defensive protection and hasn't tried to take enemy cities but they act to prevent an invasion. Every tribe has them now. The Takeda rushed to be the vanguard on tech progression,but both the Uesugi and Hojo have way more defensive armies by investing in them first. This means technically the Takeda has offensive armies capability and yet has not built enough defensive armies...yet. That is the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

I've been working around the clock on the mod and I am so short on sleep. I had thought about this as a Christmas present for the community but already it's playable. I might just do a beta release in three weeks so people can test it.

Attachments

• p13-laflamme-kuniyoshi-f-20190113-870x638.jpg
    p13-laflamme-kuniyoshi-f-20190113-870x638.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 77
  • BRO105_s.jpg
    BRO105_s.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Here's a fast title.png. The font overlays are very limited in Photosuite. I intentionally left it "paneled" to preserve the woodblock aesthetics. The two panels also suggest the dualism that every soldier faces about duty and the mission versus the inherent violence and destruction of their role.

An Asian survivor of World War II remarked, "over time despite the horror of innumerable war dead after battles, you remember children being tasked with picking up the bones for burial, yet still being children and aware of fond memories and joy. Despite the horror and hardships, all was not tragedy, or at least you don't focus upon it".

That is the reality versus nostalgia and history books as the survivors and participants have to transform the memory. In some sense, we all are unreliable narrators.

The colors of the daimyo's sash suggest blood. The text for Jidaigeiki could be better centered but it's good enough for a quick release in a month. I figure the events will take me two days. There are no units being fired to attack in the event file, just having them generally spawned at various tiles and not in cities as maybe the ownership will change and that will cause a bug.

Attachments

• Title2.png
    Title2.png
    662.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Top Bottom