Raliuven SG1

Eh ... at the rate we've been going, if we'd waited to build up a bigger force, we'd still be "getting ready" to march on NY in 1000 AD :p

As for taking it within the next 10 turns ... I doubt it. If we had a Spear complete in Mecca on the next IBT, it would take him 7 turns to get to NY. Horsemen have it easier (4 turns), but I think we'll need more than two of them for this mission...

Well, whatever the team thinks is best. Taking the town is just my two cents.

Just FYI, I will be away from my civ computer for the next three or four days (4th of July weekend). So if my turns come up, a skip or swap or whatever you call it will be needed.

I'm almost done, the Americans have whittled our stack away and the Iron is still hooked up. Had to make peace with Rome. All in all, a very frustrating turnset.

Any news, frustrating or otherwise? (Giving full understanding its a long 4th weekend)

Frustrating, yes. Done, yes. Posting now:

The turn-log:
Spoiler :

Pre-flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Get the save loaded. Look at the Military situation, retreat, reinforcements and regroup is my call.

Non-Combat
Worker 3
Settler 1
Slaves 4
Scout 1

Military units:
Warriors 9
Archers 5
Horses 2

Contacts
Rome=>War Despotism, Average to
Iroquois=>War Despotism, Strong to
Russia=>Peace Despotism, Average to
Japan=>Peace Despotism, Strong to
Carthage=>Peace Despotism, Weak to
America=>War Despotism, Average to
France=>Peace Despotism, Strong to

Capital Size 3, grows in 10, Horseman in 3 turns.

Sliders
6/4/0, Republic in 36 turns at 3 gpt, 9 in the bank. Can go lone scientist here and save big bucks, our science is puny.

Press Enter=>

Wounded Sword retreats
Medina Warrior=>Archer.
Damascus Settler=> Settler

Turn 1, 975 BC: settler on site, but Rome Archer nearby. They want big bucks for peace. Send new settler north.

IBT: Roman Archer steps up. Bad odds either way.
Baghdad Worker=>Barracks.

Turn 2, 950 BC: Warrior dies, promoting the damn archer. I pay extortion or retreat Settler, I retreat settler for now.

IBT: American sword comes out for horse.
Mecca Horse=>Spear.

Turn 3, 925 BC: American sword dies, redlining Horse.
Settle Basra on Ring2, =>Warrior.

IBT: Peace with Rome needed, 3 Warriors headed toward Medina
Another American sword comes out for horse.

Turn 4, 900 BC: American sword wins, redlining and retreating Horse.

IBT: Romans at the gates of Medina. American sword kills eArcher, redlines.

Turn 5, 875 BC: Make peace with Rome for 83 gold, 2 gpt and WM.
Kill redlined Sword with v Archer, -3 hp, promotes.
Make peace with Iroquois, hopefully preventing a dog-pile.

IBT: Our stack dwindles further, Warrior slaughters Archer, 3rd Sword steps out.

Turn 6, 850 BC: Settle Khurasan on ring 2.

IBT: Mecca Spear=>Horse.

Turn 7, 825 BC: Retreat from American sword.

IBT: Sword moves toward capital.

Turn 8, 800 BC:Nothing much.

IBT: Sword turns back.

Turn 9, 775 BC:Move to pillage Iron. Anjar founded on ring 1.

IBT: vArcher survives, -3hp vs rArcher.

Turn 10, 750 BC: Pillage Iron, leave most units unmoved, save here..

Non-Combat
Workers 5
Slaves 4
Scout 1

Military units:
Warriors 8
Archers 3
Horsemen 3
Spearman 1

Support:
Total Units: 21
Allowed Units: 36
Unit cost: 0

Contacts
Rome=> Peace Despotism, Weak to
Iroquois=> Peace Despotism, Weak to
Russia=>Peace Despotism, Average to
Japan=>Peace Despotism, Average to
Carthage=>Peace Despotism, Weak to
America=>War Despotism, Average to
France=>Peace Despotism, Average to

Capital Size 4, grows in 10, Horseman in 1 turn.

Sliders
7/1/2, Republic in 26 turns at 12 gpt, 46 in the bank.

Made a judgement error not going for the Iron first.

A screenie:
Spoiler :

The save:

Suddenly giving Rome 22gp doesn't sound like such a bad idea. :( I apologize to the team, I didn't think they would declare and kicked myself afterwards. :blush:

Well, assuming we are not yet ready to set up a lemonade conglomerate here is the Roster:

ROSTER:
-Raliuven
-Elephantium
-TheOverseer714 (just played)
-CKS (Playing)
-creamcheese (on deck)

I should be able to look things over tonight or tomorrow and play Friday morning.

It's good that we got out of the other wars and pillaged the American iron. Things should start to look up now.

The northern settler should go between the gems and iron.

America will give us Poly, Construction, Philadelphia, and a worker for peace. Should we take it?

Damascus needs MM to run as a 6 turn factory; I think growing in 2, then growing in 4 is easiest. We should see if a courthouse will let us run a 4 turn factory. If so, we should buy one as soon as we get into a republic.

Medina is going to get pillaged, and we may lose a worker there. Sorry.

Turn Log:
Spoiler :

Turn 0:
Khurasan to worker. Medina to barracks. Disband warrior in Damascus to get settler this turn. We are going to have to run it as a 6 turn factory for lack of shields right now.

Workers mine near Kufah, which needs shields badly, and move toward Najran. Horse kills sword, promotes to 2/5. Redlined archer moves out of American territory.

IBT: Warrior kills horse, Mounted warrior takes out our scout. Mecca horse to horse, Damascus settler to settler.

Turn 1:
Horse kills warrior. Archers move across river. Horse moves toward America. Road to Najran. Warrior moves from Najran toward Khurasan, so we can get the horse out of there.

IBT: Sword moves into New York and kills archer, promoting to 2/4.

Turn 2: Pull back from New York, rest. Workers work.

IBT: No unit actions. Japan establishes an embassy with us. Basra warrior to worker.

Turn 3: Resting army. Moving to road connection to France.

IBT: Barb uprising as everyone except Iroquois and us go into the middle ages. Three swords move out of New York.

Turn 4: Pull back to try to get the swords to go to flat ground. Switch Najran to horse. Make peace with Iroquois and trade CoL + 20 g for currency.

IBT: Swords don't take the bait; they go back to New York. Wierd. Mecca horse to horse.

Turn 5: Move horses toward front. Build Fustat, start worker. Mining at Kufah. Decide to build settler in Medina, send to dyes and iron, as they are still unoccupied.

IBT: Medina settler to warrior, Khurasan worker to worker.

Turn 6: Trade France spices for territory map and 95 g, to avoid demands. Move horses.

IBT: Damascus settler to settler.

Turn 7: 3 Horses and 2 archers move toward New York.

IBT: Baghdad barracks to horse, Najran horse to horse, Basra worker to catapult

Turn 8: Move next to New York.

IBT: Mecca horse to horse, Romans build pyramids, Russians build great wall.

Turn 9: At New York: horse 2/4 kills spear. Horse 4/4 kills spear, destroys city, collects a worker. Well, that was anti-climactic. Horse goes 5/5 killing sword in the open. America has a second source of iron.

IBT: Kufah riots. Drat. Two barb horses show up by Medina; I thought the French had taken care of them. Several tribes have the Republic.

Turn 10: Warrior dies to barb horse. Units by America still have movement left.

Attachments

• Raliuven SG1 550BC.SAV
    146.4 KB · Views: 51
I say do the peace deal and hook the iron up, we'll finish them later.

Hey, nice set of turns CKS! I agree to taking the peace deal.

Okay, so I will make peace and build a little infrastructure and finish settling. Then we can prepare for France :hammer:. Assuming no one else declares war in the meantime.

Did we want that settler going for the southern dyes and iron to go 1 south and settle? I was thinking that would get us both dyes, iron, and a fish with a border expansion, but an AI might sneak a city in to grab one before we get up a temple.

City Count
Arabia: 10
Rome: 8
Iroquois: 7
Russia: 8
Japan: 6
Carthage: 12
France: 8
America: 5

Average: 8

Military
We are weak vs the Romans
We are weak vs the Iroquois
We are average vs Russia
We are strong vs Japan
We are weak vs Carthage
We are average vs America
We are average vs France

Governments
Rome => Despotism
Iroquois => Despotism
Russia => Anarchy
Japan => Republic
Carthage => Despotism
America => Despostism
France => Anarchy.

Observations
It looks like Russia and Carthage have been at war (???). There are a few razed cities on their borders – probably Russian cities???

We can see 2 America cities, that must mean that the fog to the north is concealing Boston, Atlanta and Washington. If we take Phil in a trade, and plant our settler on the gems/iron that will cut off America from expansion except for what Chicago can produce (and those dropped by boats). :D

We are in serious need of workers. Maybe our SF should turn out a few workers? Mecca could also shed a worker because its 5th citizen isn’t doing anything. Otherwise we could MM to the spice and get a 3 turn horse factory on slow growth until workers can improve the tiles.

ROSTER:
-Raliuven (on deck)
-Elephantium
-TheOverseer714
-CKS (just played)
-creamcheese (Playing)

**Edit** Regarding the southern settler - I say follow your gut. We are a religious civ, so let's take advantage of that cheap temple.

Turn Log:
Spoiler :
Turn 0- 550BC; Look around, make peace. Switch a bunch of cities to workers, settlers, and a few temples. Get a bit of scouting in before armistice.

IBT: We lose ~50 gold at Medina. Oh S***! 11 barb horsemen approach Mecca from the west!!!!:help::wow:

Turn 1- 530 BC; Damage control. Good thing I moved the army south last turn. I think I can put at least two spearmen and two warriors for the defense of Mecca.

IBT: Inexplicably, all 11 move south towards Minsk. *huge sigh*. :woohoo:

Turn 2- 510 BC; Mecca spearman-->settler. Anjar Spearman-->Worker. Move things about. Found Aden in the South.

IBT: 1 barb horse appears at same spot. I am ready for it.

Turn 3- 490 BC; Damascus settler-->settler. Najran Temple--> worker. Found Yamama in North at iron/gems. Minsk is suddenly size 1... hmm. :mischief:

IBT: nada

Turn 5 450 BC; Army moving south to France for invasion. They seem to have 3 lux and no iron... Fustat worker-->temple. Shuffle production order around. I figure 8-10 horse and whatever swords and cats we can get will be enough to take some french cities.

Turn 6 430 BC; Mecca settler-->spear. Medina warrior-->spear. Kurasan worker--> temple. Am assembling army at Najran.

IBT: Iroquois demand poly. I refuse and they back down. I trade them poly for their world map instead. We can now see everything. Mediocre trade, but a map is better than another demand.

Turn 7 410 BC; Basra worker-->catapult. I buy a worker from france to lower our gold stocks a little.

IBT: France demands terr map and a little gold. I give in.

Turn 8 390 BC; Najran spear-->horse. Found Muscat in first ring- mediocre location, but its all we have. Racing USA to anothe spot up north.

Turn 9 370 BC; Mecca spear-->horse. Damascus settler-->settler 5 Turn factory!

IBT: Oh geez, I just realized carthage is destroying the Russians. Moscow and ST.P captured.

Turn 10 350 BC; Found Mansura in the north. Just barely beat Americans to the spot
(2nd ring).

Spoiler :

Hand off notes: I left one horse up north for area defense, everyone else in fortified in Najran. Some spears ar being built/going out to the frontiers. One settler up north on the peninsula. We may be out of settling room, so maybe switch our factory to something else?

I am Building some temples to reduce flip risk in the west. We will need it soon as the middle ages wear on. Muscat and Yamama still need them after their workers.

To the team: Russia has been steamrolled by superpower Carthage. We could try going for Minsk and anything else of the Russians we can get while we can. 3 turns and we can strike with 5 horse.

Carthage and Japan look to be the civs to beat in the midgame. Japan has tons of territory to expand into and a nice choke. Carthage hase tons of land and well... tons of everything.

Monotheism and Feudalism are out there. Still no republic, we could get it a few turns early maybe, I did not look.

EDIT: I forgot the save there for a second.

Attachments

• Raliuven SG1 350BC.SAV
    150.2 KB · Views: 75
I've got the save.

I'll take a look and post a strategy. Thanks creamcheese! One question - why didn't we get Philadelphia in the peace deal with America? I didn't see the details of the peace treaty in your log. Just curious.

ROSTER:
-Raliuven (Playing)
-Elephantium (on deck)
-TheOverseer714
-CKS
-creamcheese (just played)

City Count [current (last count)]
Arabia: 12 (10)
Rome: 10 (8)
Iroquois: 8 (7)
Russia: 6 (8)
Japan: 7 (6)
Carthage: 16 (12)
France: 9 (8)
America: 6 (5)

Average: 9.25 (8)
Aside from Carthage, we are the only Civ above the curve.

Military
We are average vs the Romans (up from weak)
We are strong vs the Iroquois
We are average vs Russia (up from average)
We are strong vs Japan
We are weak vs Carthage
We are average vs America
We are strong vs France (up from average)

Governments
Rome => Despotism
Iroquois => Despotism
Russia => Republic
Japan => Republic
Carthage => Anarchy
America => Despostism
France => Republic

Unit Count (33 units/56 allowed)
Settlers: 1
Workers: 11
Slaves: 7
Warriors: 8
Archers: 2
Spears: 5
Horses: 6

Strategy
I am looking at a 3rd ring at RCP 11 – we can put down our northern settler at the very tip for 11.5 and Avignon and Tours are at RCP 11. Sverdlovsk is also RCP 11. Minks and Sevastopol both have to go, but we have no settlers to replace them with. We also need another city to the SW of Mecca to insulate our core.

Paris is settled on horses and doesn’t appear to have iron. We’re behind in techs. We can make a quick strike, take 3 cities from France and then settle for peace and some techs. If we take the 3 cities mentioned above, we’ll collect grapes and furs – our 3rd and 4th luxuries. However, we might lose both Medina and Aden. If France swings down that way with their combat units, I think it would be a good plan to try to take Marseilles as well.

The bad news is that America, Rome and the Iroquois are as clueless as we are – so France could buy them into the war against us (again). Also, America already has a sword in our territory and is approaching with a spear/settler pair – they are next to the nicely placed Mansura. I just want them to retreat and I’ll feel better. All our combat units are over by France.

City Management
MM Fustat to hills + gold – slow growth but there are not enough improved tiles in the area to matter. Temple in 13t but could be swapped to a barracks/horse as needed.
Kufah change temple => horseman

Other
Can’t get republic any quicker than 6t. Buying republic even from Russia is 15gpt & 238gp (all our gold, save 1 gold coin). Could try to extort the tech from Russia – they are in no position to attack us. Probably not a high chance of success.

America has dyes to sell but we don’t currently have a happiness problem.
We’ve got money but there currently isn’t anything to buy.

I intend to swap to republic immediately when it comes in.

Question for the Team
Do we go after France immediately or wait for the switch to Republic? That would mainly leave the war up to Elephantium.

The first thing that pops out at me is that Yamama is one tile off Ring 2. We should abandon the city and resettle either 1SE or E-SE (the riverside coastal tile closer to Anjar).

As for war timing, I'd wait a few turns before declaring. I think we need Swords (not to mention a few more Horsemen) before we can prosecute a successful war with France.

Aside from that, I'll probably need a skip if my turn comes up this week. I've been sick for several days, so I foresee some long hours to catch up at work in the next several days.

I'll take a look and post a strategy. Thanks creamcheese! One question - why didn't we get Philadelphia in the peace deal with America? I didn't see the details of the peace treaty in your log. Just curious.
Oops, looking up at CKS post I noticed I should have gone for the city. I got both techs, territory map, a worker, and like 6 gold? It would have been kind of a junk city though...

The first thing that pops out at me is that Yamama is one tile off Ring 2. We should abandon the city and resettle either 1SE or E-SE (the riverside coastal tile closer to Anjar).

Someone said to put the settler in between the iron and gems... Oh well. I am not totally used to this RCP thing.

EDIT: I say wait until republic. Get some swords and cats before attacking, and firm up our defenses. Frances lack of Iron works to our advantage, we have plenty of time.

If we reposition that city, we'll need another town to keep the Iron and Gems inside our borders. Another settler or several can replace Minsk to fill out ring one, so keep them coming, along with more workers, we'll need to pump our population up.

Top Bottom