Random Event Suggestions

historically most important events the game doesn't still contain are of course plagues. how one could be done via events:

Random Event Title:The Plague strikes!
Prerequisite Techs: city planning (it's too gamebreaking if plagues strikes too early)
Obsolete Techs: modern health care (replaced by super virus event)
Other Requirements:a city with size > 10, at lest 5 less :yuck: then :health: (chance increases with bad :health:/:yuck: ratio and city size), requires animal resource in vicinity or spreading event
Main Body Text: A terrible disease strikes our city of CITY_NAME. Every day we count more ill. Corpses start to stack on the streets!
Inevitable Effects: food storage reduced by factor 0.2 (so city will lose pop easier), additional +5 :yuck: +Random(0,city size/2), plague stays for 10+((yuck+5)-health)*F turns [the factor F scales with game speed. F=2 is for marathon speed](food shortage intended to lower pop size), units in the city loose up to 20% hp per turn.

Option 1 Text: there is nothing we can do about it.
Option 1 Requirements: none
Option 1 Effects: +2:mad: for the duration of the plague. city remains contagious with a 4% chance of spreading plague to a neighboring city (same civ, 2% for others) each turn, 2% to spread disease to a trade route city.

Option 2 Text: The CIVNAME people are behind this! they poisoned the water! burn the evildoers!
Option 2 Requirements: at least 10% of CIVNAME culture in the city, no medicine tech
Option 2 Effects: -1 diplomatic penalty it CIVNAME, -1 population, CIVNAME culture is annulled, city remains contagious with a 4% chance of spreading plague to a neighboring city (same civ, 2% for others) each turn, 2% to spread disease to a trade route city.

Option 3 Text: the plague is reported to be highly contagious! quarantine the city!
Option 3 Requirements: 5 gold per city size, doctors office
Option 3 Effects: +3:mad: for the duration of the plague. city remains contagious with a 2% chance of spreading plague to a neighboring city (same civ, 1% for others) each turn. no trade routes and -50%:hammers: and -50%:commerce: for the duration of the plague, plague duration reduced to 60%.

Option 4 Text: We must concentrate all efforts to find a cure for this terrible illness! Give our medical scientist all the resources they need to provide an immunization! And of course quarantine CITY_NAME!
Option 4 Requirements: 8 gold per civs all city sizes, hospital in any city
Option 4 Effects: for the affected city: +3:mad: for the duration of the plague, no trade routes and -50%:hammers: and -50%:commerce: for the duration of the plague, plague duration reduced to 60%. all cities become immune to the disease

Main Body Text (for plague spread from own empire): Despite our efforts against the plague another of our cities has been stuck by the illness. People in CITY_NAME are dieing.
Main Body Text (for plague spread from different empire): A terrible disease came from distant lands to our city of CITY_NAME. Every day we count more ill. Corpses start to stack on the streets!

Other Notes: city struck by a plague cannot be struck again.
Remarks: as an alternative to option 4 there could be a tech added (for each disease, if one would implement different ones) that grants immunity after it's researched e.g. "Plague Vaccine". the prerequisite to research it would be to have at least one city that had the disease or at least open borders agreement with a civ that had this disease.

Image Attachment:

or some alternative: http://www.slideshine.de/2275

Yes, and I will add that as well.

Just to let you know, I just edited Option 3 from when you quoted me. And yes, I shall keep them coming!

Okay, thanks for the heads up.

This is very minor, but "phenomena" is plural. A single occurrence is a "phenomenon".

Okay. :p

I'm seeing a definite trend towards negative events. I want to keep the balance roughly even, so please, if you submit a negative event, submit a positive one as well. (It doesn't have to be positive like free gold, etc; you can make it interesting.)

Random Event Title: The Danger of Greatness
Prerequisite Techs: None
Obsolete Techs: None
Other Requirements: Settled Great Person (any) in the city.
Main Body Text: "Our Great {Person} in %CITY_NAME% has received multiple death threats from unknown sources and has appealed to you for protection."

Option 1 Text: "We must protect our loyal subject! Assign them a permanent guard detail."
Option 1 Requirements: Military unit in the city
Option 1 Effects: Lose the military unit (permanently assigned as a guard).

Option 2 Text: "Unacceptable! Government agents shall seek out and deal with these assailants."
Option 2 Requirements: Espionage Unit in the city (Spy/Agent/etc)
Option 2 Effects: Espionage unit is occupied for several turns.

Option 3 Text: "It is too dangerous here! Relocation is the best option."
Option 3 Requirements: At least two cities.
Option 3 Effects: Great person relocates to settle in another of your cities.

Option 4 Text: "We cannot spare any resources at this time. They will have to fend for themselves."
Option 4 Requirements: None
Option 4 Effects: The settled great person is assassinated.

Other Notes/Comments: Recurring event.
Image Attachment: I don't use the event images mod thingy...

I hope the actions/effects here are possible. And I now should work on a positive event, eh? Ok, can do!

Sorry to double post, but I was thinking, shouldn't we also include that "Global text" that is displayed to all players, along with the text shown to the player in our events?

Random Event Title: The Danger of Greatness
Prerequisite Techs: None
Obsolete Techs: None
Other Requirements: Settled Great Person (any) in the city.
Main Body Text: "Our Great {Person} in %CITY_NAME% has received multiple death threats from unknown sources and has appealed to you for protection."

Option 1 Text: "We must protect our loyal subject! Assign them a permanent guard detail."
Option 1 Requirements: Military unit in the city
Option 1 Effects: Lose the military unit (permanently assigned as a guard).

Option 2 Text: "Unacceptable! Government agents shall seek out and deal with these assailants."
Option 2 Requirements: Espionage Unit in the city (Spy/Agent/etc)
Option 2 Effects: Espionage unit is occupied for several turns.

Option 3 Text: "It is too dangerous here! Relocation is the best option."
Option 3 Requirements: At least two cities.
Option 3 Effects: Great person relocates to settle in another of your cities.

Option 4 Text: "We cannot spare any resources at this time. They will have to fend for themselves."
Option 4 Requirements: None
Option 4 Effects: The settled great person is assassinated.

Other Notes/Comments: Recurring event.

I hope the actions/effects here are possible. And I now should work on a positive event, eh? Ok, can do!

Wow, I'm impressed with everyone's good ideas.

Sorry to double post, but I was thinking, shouldn't we also include that "Global text" that is displayed to all players, along with the text shown to the player in our events?

You can, but it's optional.

a positive event...? ok, here it comes:

Random Event Title: A new resource has been discovered!
Prerequisite Techs: none
Obsolete Techs: none
Other Requirements: the resource has not been placed on the map
Main Body Text: We discovered a small population of an animal/plant that we only knew from legends! It seems that it could prove very useful to us.
OR: We discovered source of an legendary material around the city of CITY_NAME. It could prove very valuable.
General Effects: creates the missing resource on a tile within a players borders.

Option 1 Text: These are great new. I'll come back to it when i find the time.
Option 1 Requirements: none
Option 1 Effects: none (you will need to build the right improvement yourself.

Option 2 Text: We should try to make profit on it immediately.
Option 2 Requirements: gold cost of improvement (if needed), prerequisite tech for improvement, not a fitting improvement on the tile.
Option 2 Effects: grants a fitting improvement on the tile with the new resource.

Option 3 Text: Study the old legends to find out how our ancestors utilized that resource. I'm sure this will greatly benefit our civilization!
Option 3 Requirements: not the prerequisite tech for the right improvement, 20% of the original techs (that gives access to the improvement) beakers cost in gold required.
Option 3 Effects: grants a fitting improvement on the tile with the new resource AND the needed technology.

Comments: similar events could be considered if there are not enough sources of an important resource depending on the map size and civ count.

Event Images:
palnt:_________________________________________________ animal:_____________________________________________________material:

Good one Killtech. That event could be reoccurring, since the same resource won't be picked twice.

Then here's the globally displayed text for my first suggestion:

Dock Worker Strike
Globally Displayed Text: "Dock workers in the %CIV_ADJECTIVE% city of %CITY_NAME% are on strike in protest of their poor working conditions."

And here's a new event:

Random Event Title: Autopsy Authorization
Prerequisite Techs: Anatomy
Obsolete Techs: Biology
Other Requirements: At least one Doctor's Office in your empire.
Main Body Text: "Doctors in %CITY_NAME% have requested government permission to perform dissections on recently-deceased corpses."
Globally Displayed Text: "Doctors in the %CIV_ADJECTIVE% city of %CITY_NAME% have requested permission from their government to perform dissections on recently-deceased corpses."

Option 1 Text: "Although such a practice is historically taboo, there is much to learn. The people will be unhappy at first, but they will see the benefits in time."
Option 1 Requirements: Doctor's Office in the city
Option 1 Effects: +1 :health: for all Doctor's Offices in your empire, but +1 :mad: in the city for a short time (couple of turns or so).

Option 2 Text: "That seems too uncouth. The people will not tolerate it."
Option 2 Requirements: Doctor's Office in the city.
Option 2 Effects: None.

Other Notes/Comments: Recurring event, but doesn't happen to the same player twice.

Sorry, not a new event but an improvement(?) or extention to an existing event.

Something I keep meaning to do but never get around to. Change the locust events to produce locust units. I have made some for the first four eras of RoM based on Lord Tirian's Locust of Chiron unit. They pillage crops and farmland, and do not attack units or cities.

I suppose that extra events could be added which cause the units to appear in wilderness areas - desert or plains mostly.

@SuperCheese:
why should anyone use option 2 in your last suggestion?
i suggest to either make the unhappiness very long or restrict the effect to one city where the doctors office also gains +6:science: at the expense of one permanent :mad:.

Random Event Title: Sacred Marriage

Prerequisite Techs: Mysticism

Obsolete Techs: Political Philosophy

Other Requirements (Gameoptions, Buildings, etc...): Prophets as civic

Main Body Text: Your priests suggest you to celebrate a ritual called hieros gamos, sacred marriage. They say it fits two purposes: first, as an enactment of the marriage of two deities (or, as they don't dare to say, a human and a deity) you will gain power over the crowd and second, since commoners frequently take this festive opportunity to have sex with their own spouses, it will coordinate the births of children so that they will be born in the winter, when there is more time to take care of them.

Option 1 Text: Advise your vizier to put emphasis on the literary tradition of this ritual, new priests, artists and scribes shall be educated and financed.

Option 1 Requirements: Writing, 75 :gold:

Option 1 Effects: -1 population in city, +1 Priest in city, city stability + 25 %, +4 :culture: in city, [+5 control points on the tiles surrounding the city.?]

Option 2 Text: Tell your priests to campaign the organization of massive religious prostitution, transforming the city to become the international sex fair.

Option 2 Requirements: Trade, 75 :gold:

Option 2 Effects: -1 population (temple prostitutes), +1 relations to all other (non-intolerant) civs, +12% :commerce: in city, +2 :) in city, +2 :yuck:

Option 3 Text: Be moderate orchestrating the ritual, let the women not get all too jealous about their men lingering for other women and only celebrate the meeting of God and Goddess in public, leaving the rest of it to the imagination of husband and wife during nighttime. The spare temple prostitutes shall be sold to rich aliens.

Option 3 Requirements: None

Option 3 Effects: 10% less :food: required for city growth in city, +1 :culture: in city, +1 :gold: per priest in city

Other Notes/Comments: Re-occurring Event, but can't occur for the same player twice.

Image Attachment:
Spoiler :

@SuperCheese:
why should anyone use option 2 in your last suggestion?
i suggest to either make the unhappiness very long or restrict the effect to one city where the doctors office also gains +6:science: at the expense of one permanent :mad:.

The event was intended to be mainly a positive one and I would fully expect people to choose the first option virtually always; the only reason I saw the need for the second option was in the event that the city the event popped in was already unhappy, in which case the extra :mad: might be worse than the +:health:.

Yes, perhaps to better split the two options the :mad: duration could be extended, or perhaps changed to +2 :mad: rather than +1 :mad:. I'll let Afforess decide what he thinks is best for the event.

You could just remove the second option altogether and have it as a purely positive event.

thx, will try to compose a few more, for medieval maybe

Random Event Title: Chess Tournament
Prerequisite Techs: Invention
Obsolete Techs: Communication Networks
Other Requirements: None
Main Body Text: "The game of Chess has been popular in your country for years now, and for the first time an official Chess tournament was held in %CITY_NAME%. It was not widely advertised, however, and the participants are asking for government assistance in popularizing the competetion."
Globally Displayed Text: "The %CIV_ADJECTIVE% city of %CITY_NAME% has hosted its first official Chess tournament."

Option 1 Text: "We can certainly help their cause. Allot some funds for advertising."
Option 1 Requirements: Costs a small amount of gold
Option 1 Effects: +1 :) in the city permanently

Option 2 Text: "Ooh, I LOVE Chess! Declare it our national sport and fund Chess competitions in all our cities!"
Option 2 Requirements: At least three cities; costs a large amount of gold.
Option 2 Effects: +1 :) in all cities permanently, +3 :culture: in all cities, +5% :gp: in all cities

Option 3 Text: "Methinks these Chess fanatics would be of more use planning military strategy! Send them to the war room to consult with our tacticians."
Option 3 Requirements: None
Option 3 Effects: +1 Experience points for units built in all cities.

Other Notes/Comments: Non-recurring event.
Image Attachment: I don't use the event images mod thingy, but I'm sure there are dozens of suitable Chess-related pictures out there.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't want to leave those out. Thanks HydromancerX. I updated the OP with the 4 that are done now. I'm now working on the first suggestions, first come, first serve. They take ~1 hour apiece to code and debug.

I recognise those decision write-ups. Methinks someone has been playing NationStates :D

Top Bottom