Random events force me to make difficult choices... help!

What should i do?

• Raze Madrid

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Capture Madrid

Votes: 43 91.5%

• Total voters

uat2d

ಠ_ಠ
Random events often force us to make difficult choices, even if they happen to other civs...

I'm going straight to the matter:

I'm playing a game and this event happens, which happened to have really bad consequences to Isabella:

yeah, my religious enemy in that game got wiped really early by the barbs and i was happy about it :goodjob:, but my exploring warrior did find something: after all the barbs didn't razed Madrid (which was on the other side of the continent), and even worse, they left it unprotected!!!

i only noticed it when:

but now, should i:
  • raze the city, wasting a great resourced spot and a holy city
or
  • capture it, suffer the high maintenance and risk myself to other attacks
please help me, because i'm really undecided and haven't close the game or made anything else since it, the game has just been minimized since then and i really need help!

Given it's a holy city, and in a good location, I'd keep it. A shrine would pay the extra maintenance costs. It'll mean you'll have to get rid of Rome at some point to get a cohesive empire, but that's probably going to happen anyway.

Capital cities are almost always worth capturing. With it also being a holy city, I would capture it without doubt.

-2 gold at 90%. That's pretty far from your capital. Personally I'd raze it unless you're expecting a great prophet soon.

Is that on a different continent? I can't see the map well enough to tell. If it is, I'd definitely raze it.

edit: Never mind, I zoomed and it isn't that far. Keep it.

-2 gold at 90%. That's pretty far from your capital. Personally I'd raze it unless you're expecting a great prophet soon.

Is that on a different continent? I can't see the map well enough to tell. If it is, I'd definitely raze it.

same continent, really far, marathon speed, no GP coming soon

That's a pretty nice spot, and it's a holy city.... I'd say that's a keeper. Agreed that Rome has to be destroyed, I would probably make that a very early priority.

It's kinda important for me what skill level this is. Without that info, I'd say keep it, and get archery asap to defend it (there is no other way of defending it). Forget priesthood/the oracle, a free second city in such a nice spot is better imo.

Holy Cities are always keepers even without events.
Make a Courthouse in Madrid a very high priority.
And then spread that religion and build the income boosters there.

In this case even if it were a size 1 non-capital / non-relgious city I'd keep it. It's a very good city site in its own right.

Madrid is at size 3 so you should be able to whip out a couple of archers quickly. Seeing you're teching Compass, I assume you have Code of Laws, and a Courthouse will keep maintenance down. So I vote keep it.

Keep definately. It'll pop from religion:culture: (Unless you have another state rel?).

Also, if hard choices is not you, maby Civ isnt either :mischief:

Yeah, it's not as far away as it first appears on the minimap. I'd probably keep it, if for no other reason than I hate to throw away a freeby, and you'll eventually want that whole continent anyhow (most likely).

The holy city factor wouldn't be that persuasive to me as it might be to others though, because you already have one. Unless you're going for a cultural victory or you have reason to believe that christianity has already spread a fair bit, I think you'd be better off using your limited resources to spread the religion you already have than trying to build up two separate financial/holy cities.

The same thing happened to me....kinda

I got the big barbarian invasion event and they spawned just north of me...great... i figure it's game over.
but
they march right through my fat cross and left my lands unspoild and instead opted to take out gandi, who was just to my south. Same scenario, his capitol was a holy city, they took him out, but did not raze and left it unoccupied. then the few survivors came up north to take me on and i mopped them up easily and went down to clame the prize.

Luckily for me it was close, so no tough decisions, However i'm really confused as to why the barbarian invasion walked right past me...honestly they would have had an easier time of taking my city than ghandi's. Does the type of barbarians matter historically at all for this event? If I remember correctly they where the mughals, so maybe they would be after India from the get go? I don't know it was weird...but i'm not complaining :)

Keep it! Use it a second way to push into the other contienents

Keep it. Like others said, it's a great location alone. Plus it's holy. If you only have the one warrior, then get an archer or something else there ASAP. If you lose the city, then you lose the city. The only opportunity cost here is the money you could have made by razing the city; though the potential money you could make by keeping Madrid far outweighs this IMO.

Top Bottom