Ranking Leader Characteristics

EXP kind of loses value the more aggressive you play. If most cities are captured a lot of them will come with free granaries. None have free libraries. Most workers may also be captured so not very much value from EXP there either. CRE on the other hand can be very useful if you have to live with whatever city placements the AI picked for you. I especially like that CRE gets captured capitals fully functional very fast. They tend to be powerhouses but often several resources in outer ring.

TRUE TRUE TRUE!! This is why there always has been fuzzy agreement on the best traits, they are truly dependant on play style. I would add game speed also inteferes profoundly in the matter; Slower speeds (specially marathon which exacerbates units) find AGG & PRO on par traits for instance, even more in MP of course.

One thing came to be certain for me about CRE & EXP in the lasts posts: you have to love the Khmer, gets the best of both worlds.. hahaha!!

Last edited:
I don't always agree with your comments, Ricci, but Khmer is good indeed.

I rate EXP a bit higher myself. It is my favorite trait (not saying it is the best), but CRE is one of those traits that when you are working with it, it is very nice.

I don't always agree with your comments, Ricci, but Khmer is good indeed.

I rate EXP a bit higher myself. It is my favorite trait (not saying it is the best), but CRE is one of those traits that when you are working with it, it is very nice.

I would be very much pleased to read about those oportunities where a fellow civ fanatic like you doesn`t. I might probably learn something too.

I am very confident that this forum will never have a consensus on this topic except for the "nearly" unanimous Protective is putrid. Creative, Expansive, Charismatic, and Imperialistic seem to pop up the most as to some people passionately arguing they are very strong and others passionately disagreeing completely. Which probably just means all four of them give you an advantage of some sort that with enough experience can be put to great use. I am personally partial to Creative for the way it solves a problem that for all other leaders has to be worked around until the AD years. Half-price libraries are also very nice. But I understand why others could emphatically argue that Expansive, Charismatic, and Imperialistic are all preferable to Creative.

Having said that I always find the topic entertaining and informative to some degree.

Therein lies the beauty of Civ IV. Fifteen years on and we STILL can't agree the best way to play. A well balanced masterpiece. :D

@Ricci: I was talking about the CloseToHome mod which as the title says is fairly close to BTS. Castles are pretty much the same as in BTS except they obsolete a bit later so they are very slightly better.

I think one reason bulbs are not so strong is that most key military tech paths do not have efficient bulbs. And if you bulb maybe one tech on the way a non-PHI civ can do that easily as well. PHI does unable one or two maybe more GAs which is relevant.

Top Bottom