Rat 40 - Introduction to CCM

It's a matter of taste, but I think we'd find the Carthaginian campaign simpler if we took Leptis Minor first and then proceeded directly south through their core. If we take Theveste first our SoD will have to change direction a couple of times, which slows things down.
They are so gassed you will probably be able to take both cities in a few turns. They were barely sending a long bow out to die for us. We'll be marching on Carthage soon.

You know what they've got left, so if you feel we can afford to split our forces, fair enough.

I don't question that what you and other players did was justified on a turn-by-turn basis.

Did not think you were and it is fine, if you did. I either did right or wrong or it did not matter. If wrong, I want to know about it and why it is wrong.

My response is to both see, if I was thinking clearly, not always sure thing, and to let others know what the reasoning, good or bad. That is the only way to find out if it made sense.

I am pretty sure that all us that have played in SG's together before, understand that we are not always going to agree on all thing at all times. That said I figure we are confident that each of us has a pretty good idea of what to do.

That does not mean I won't make a mistake or not think of all the angles in all the circumstances. Of course that is all skewed a bit as this is a new mod, so the chances to over look things is greater than normal. So fire away. :)

I did play quite a bit last night and got those cities that you were talking about as well as Carthage itself. This nation won't last that much longer.

As expected the Spanish war is bloody, very bloody but they do not face any threat to us no more and by the time Carthage is eliminated, we can think of moving on to them.

In other news, we have reached the end of the other continent and there must be some hidden third continent around. I am again sending suicide galleasses out.

Expect a report tonight.

Sounds great. :goodjob:

In other news, we have reached the end of the other continent and there must be some hidden third continent around. I am again sending suicide galleasses out.

It may even be two more continents. We've only accounted for about half of the AI civs.

I suggest that once we get Mil Tradition (that's 3 techs away), we take those naval techs to be able to send out naval units to explore. Unless the AI has some techs as well, but they do seem slow.

Going back to choices made before as reference to future CCM play. That Hansiatic league was a pain to lose. What improvement might be available prior to NAV that could prebuild in a coastal city? Would it be better to go after NAV when you get to Medieval?

Once we get a lasso on Spain we could probably start concentrating on naval. I might even suggest building ships that are upgradeable so upon getting the open oceans tech we can upgrade and head dead East and West with a Settler + troops in each convoy. There seem to be gaps on our map where someone could land a settler. I would hypothesize the same on their continent. Let's see if Civinators leveling of ocean landing party warfare power is minimized. If there is a Magellans type wonder for movement that would be nice too.

IIRC there is a lot of fog out there, so we have either a very large continent or a couple of good sized ones. Probably an island or two as well. Techs are hard to determine much in advance, no way to know what we find out there, but ThERat's plan sounds like as good as any.

Pre-Turn
send an additional elephant towards Spain
short rush a knight via sword
change some MM and get more scientists and ballistics drop to 4 turns

near Theveste defeat Lb and get a monk, move knights towards Theveste
Persia offers 100gpt for university, sell it to them
rush Town center in Karachi

IT Spain takes out 4 of our units, we defeat 3 of theirs
Carthage defeats a knight
we get Newtons and a host of units

1. 1530AD
there are 50 Spanish units in or near our territory, not a nice sight on hilly ground :(

bloody battle against Spain: defeat 6 units and lose 2
switch to Theveste and lose 5 units in a bloody battle taking 5 of theirs

culture bomb the city and take out an enslaver there, setup attack on Leptis Minor

near Osaka, we run into an invisible unit and defeat it :eek:

Mandalay hopefully holds on to the Spanish assault

rush a few builds and two knights via scout - sword

realized that we don't have a castle in Mandalay, this is a big mistake, rush it and decide to attack the Spanish stack a little, give up after 3:3

IT ouch, that hurts, in Mandalay we go 4:5, the catapults of the Spanish hurt us without a castle
We can't really sustain this for too long, lucky in the south we defeat one LB
Babylon finishes Art of Islam

2. 1535AD
for a change defeat 2 Spanish units without loss
we take Leptis Minor with ease, losing a mere knight

use the MGL to rush bank in our capital
defeat 2 pikes in the south and prepare for Utica assault
rush stuff again, we still have 9k gold

IT Spanish now chicken out and do not attack Mandalay and head for Vientiane
Carthage retreats one of our knights

3. 1540AD
Canada has clockworks

attack Utica, lose 1 knight, 6 retreat, we defeat 4 arques and we got another world religion :dance:

defeat an LB and culture bomb the city, we can now attack the Carthage capital directly from Utica once our units are healed

in the north, we defeat 2 units, though there are painful arques close
it would be great to have hussars now, but there are still a tech away

rush some stuff

IT Spain doesn't attack but tries to occupy our tiles to pillage
Canada is sending a boat north in what I suspect to be a settler pair

we get ballistics

4. 1545AD
upgrade 25 arques to musketeers for free

there are 11 Spanish arques in our territory with other stuff and we need to clear that no matter what
start and we go 15:6, get quite a few saving retreats

IT Spain loses an LB against us

5. 1550AD
need to work another Spanish stack before we can try and block those pillagers
go 6:2, but we have to heal many units

one of our ships meet China, another useless 1 city AI
prepare set up for Carthage next turn

as we got Cops safe, decide to go for a big tech deal
sell physics to Greece for 7800 gold, sell to Canada for clockworks, 40 g and 23 gpt
sell it to Dutch for 75gpt and 205g, sell clockworks for 3800gold to Greece

rush quite a lot of stuff including some town clocks for more shields
we still have 17k

IT Spain does try to avoid to attack us, but we can attack them on flat
we get Cops, Osaka now makes 157 beakers a turn

6. 1555AD
we lose the dyes, get them back for clockworks from Persia, they give 15gpt and 100 gold

defeat 4 WE, 2 chariots and an invisible Spanish unit on flat without losses
get rid of 3 more units on hills, lose 3 knights, block the hills

assault to break Carthage's neck: (just to see what is happening in CCM without armies)
EK defeats arque
EK retreats arque 4-> 3
EK loses arque 4 -> 3
EK loses arque 3 -> 1
2 EK lose and promote arque to 4/5
EK loses arque 4 -> 1
EK loses arque 3-> 1 but gets promoted
EK defeats arque
WE kills arque
EK loses
Yogi defeats arque and we take the city, final tally 4:8, goodness me

culture bomb the city, send units out to Braga

Angkor swaps tiles with Rangoon and now makes 50spt
our ships reach the end of the other continent, there must be another big one out there

IT Spain attacks us with an invisible unit and bets a monk + MGL
Carthage takes out one unit in the south
we finish Buddhistic Arts

7. 1560AD
seven Spanish arques entered floodlands
attack those units losing 2 knights

take Braga without losses
lose a knight taking out a WE and move towards Leptis Magna

rush more stuff, mainly town centers, unis and town clocks

IT Spain takes out 1 musketeer on a hill, as usual against all odds
we lose one suicide galleas

8. 1565AD
roam around with our ships a little but this is difficult really
capture Leptis Magna for the loss of one knight

move on the Hippo Regius, but due to the forest, it will take 2 turns to arrive
explore the deep south a little and defeat a roaming pike

take out 3 Spanish units for a knight in exchange
sell physics to Persia for 47gpt and 226gold

IT Greece and Persia are obviously at war with each other as I can see Greek galleas attacking Persia

9. 1570AD
Spanish units are a pest and we need to try get forward onto flat land, lose 2 units taking out 3 of theirs
start to block their arques so we can advance slowly, we have a roading crew there as well

in the south, march towards Hippo Regius

IT lose a musketeer against a cannon
Carthage has only their irritating bombardment, nothing else to offer
we get jurisprudence and go for absolutism

10. 1575AD
we can now build courthouses and IMHO should do that for our corrupted towns

take out 10 Spanish units in a real successful turn losing only a WE, we have cleared our land more or less
we also gained a monk

we could now use a MGL for the supreme court, but the city needs a court inside

in the south, move stack next to Hippo Regius and discover that the last city can't be taken unless we
road the mountains
move a stack of workers south, but it will take a while to get them down

except for a galleas, I leave the rushing to the next player
absolutism currently in 6 turns

The situation:

South:
We should be able to take Hippo Regius next turn. This leaves one city currently but we need workers to road the mountains. A crew is heading south now but might take 4-5 turns to be in position

North:
After many bloody battles, Spain has finally thinned out. We have a worker crew there and in my mind, we should road that mountain near Satander and then from there take the town. From there, it should be easier as we face the enemy on flat land.

In 6 turns, we get hussars, which will make our work that much easier. Be prepared that once we get Mil. Tradition all our castles will go obsolete. We have to build barracks in cities then before continuing with military production.

As mentioned before, we can build the supreme court. This building will give a lawyer every 10 turns. lawyers create artists that give 1000 culture in one go, a true culture bomb. It also reduces corruption, thus I suggest one of the Carthage cities for that.

Finally, our boats are roaming about, one is rounding the Chinese city and maybe can find a route from there, but that is doubtful.

As for wars, I would now concentrate on Spain. This will take quite a bit. Then, we can think about Portugal before completing the round with Canada.

By the way, I did short rush a lot of knights as many cities make 20spt, we can rush via swords after one turn. This is inexpensive and quite effective.

Northern Pike - up

Greebley
vmxa
barbslinger
ThERat

Going back to choices made before as reference to future CCM play. That Hansiatic league was a pain to lose. What improvement might be available prior to NAV that could prebuild in a coastal city?

For example the great lighthouse.

Would it be better to go after NAV when you get to Medieval?

Navigare "necesse est". :) Not only for the Hanseatic League, but also for more contacts in tech-trading. In CCM tech trading is no longer possible after the first row of techs in era 3. The reason is the same that made Firaxis abolish techtrading in Civ 5: If more than 20 civs have contact each other, as it would be in the industrial era, the techtree soon would come "out of control". So use the time for techtrading you have in era 2.

If there is a Magellans type wonder for movement that would be nice too.

CCM has three GWs of that type:

Magellan itself, that is only available for Spain or Portugal:

The Race for the Blue Riband (part 1), coming with tech screwpropeller (era3) and going obsolete with tech plastics (era 4) and additionally giving fast and big luxury liners:

And the Race for the Blue Riband (part 2), coming with tech plastics (era4), when the Bl.R. part1 is going obsolete and additionally giving transports (in the next version of CCM: ships of the Tarawa Class):

But the best GW of this kind in CCM betatest 1.4 is Jolly Roger, giving a lot of piratships that also do a great job in exploring the oceans:

In the next version of the CCM biq "Jolly Roger" will become a SW again, giving their civs one or two very famous and powerful pirates, that are capable of creating a fleet of weaker pirateships for each civ.

Attachments

• Circumnavigationlarge.jpg
    Circumnavigationlarge.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Blue Ribandlarge.jpg
    Blue Ribandlarge.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Mauretania-Large.jpg
    Mauretania-Large.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Jolly Roger-LG.jpg
    Jolly Roger-LG.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 183
Beautiful! Wow!
:weed: on not knowing the difference between a castle and Royal Barracks. I was more concerned about getting some VArques than anything else.

Time for Spain to pay!!

CCM has three GWs of that type:

Magellan itself, that is only available for Spain or Portugal:
Perhaps we let them live with 2 towns each so 1 of them can build it for us!
The East India Company looks nice too to cut costs. There's another one that gives extra commerce in all squares worked. That seems like a real nice one.

Perhaps we let them live with 2 towns each so 1 of them can build it for us!

Good thinking :), but this is not intended. For the next version of the CCM biq I will set Magellan as a SW, so this will be no longer possible. Thank you for remembering me. :D

Fine work. :goodjob: In this era when our basic attack is 4-3 or 4-4 we just have to push through the losses, clearly.

Greebley, I won't be getting to this before Saturday, since I have to finish my round in GR29. So if you'd like to jump ahead of me to maintain the fast pace of play, go ahead.

Good thinking , but this is not intended
Since this wasn't intended, we shall honor it and not wait for them to build Magellan purposely.

By the way, I will be going back to Germany from 11th June for two weeks.

Northern Pike - request for a swap with Greebely
Greebley - can you take it?
vmxa
barbslinger
ThERat -away from 11th til 26th June

Looks good, another OCC island nation wow. Well we could expect Spain to cause pain as they could hit us in the hills. If they would have waited, then we could have attacked them and done much of the fighting on flats.

We can expect Henry and Canada to have lots of units as well. Neither of them have been at war afaik, other than a little bit of a tussle with us for Henry.

Personally I do not like to let nations stay around as OCC, that is even truer in CCM, where they could possibly send out hidden units. You would have to let them have a coastal town and then hope they built the wonder in a reasonable time.

That was the hardest round so far and I hope it stays that way. Invasion will be a real bugger, unless we luck out and find a weakened target.

Northern Pike - request for a swap with Greebely
Greebley - can you take it?
vmxa
barbslinger
ThERat -away from 11th til 26th June

At this rate you should get in at least one more turn, before you leave.

Top Bottom