RB29c - Cultural Extermination

I won't be able to play until Tuesday, with more exams looming around the corner. I don't think there is any rush, and I don't mind waiting until Monday before we can say we've finished.

OK, I'll try to play today (Monday), then report tomorrow. I don't even know if this computer will run Civ! I certainly hope so though. If not, I'll let you know and Kodii can finish it off on Tuesday. Good luck in your exams BTW.

Well, whadaya know. I installed windows on my new MacBook (not pro, but with 2GB RAM) via bootcamp and it runs Civ fine, even on the high graphics settings and an advanced game like this one. Sweet! So I get to play the last 10 turns in a game I also started many moons ago.

Start by founding Bombay and killing any troops I can reach. We probably should have researched gunships but it would not have made much difference.

We get a flip in Arpinum.

Later on I found York.

Then on the penultimate turn I sign peace with Genghis for Tabriz. We achieve a Time Victory!

Not quite a cultural extermination, but close. There are two cities left on our mainland in the east.

In the southwest, five island cities remain unexterminated.

And the globe view:

I have learnt a lot playing this game. Thanks to the team and to Sullla for organising it. I would definitely do many things differently if I were to play this again. I think success is more about diplomacy than how you generate your culture however ;). I think one of our biggest errors in the end was building Yakutsk 1 tile too far east. But I am proud that we did not lose any of our cities to capture. Save 1 turn before the end.

I agree. Less cities were flipped than razed/captured by the AIs.

If it weren't for those island cities, I think we would have won. It was a great game, and an awesome experience. My favourite SG thus far. Thanks to everyone on this team and to Sullla for starting it up. Time to check out what the others did. :)

From the looks of it, we did the second best.

Team D won a spectacular victory.
Team A had a bit more to do.
Team B ran into some troubles and retired.

lurker's comment:
It is very commmon fault of civ players, bad scouting.
It is very cheap to build scout or 2 and couple workboats and send them exploring. I expected most teams to find this islands mach early then they did, team D was the best in this regard = they win!

Information is the most important part of all multiplayer games, and AI opponent can be considered a player to.

lurker's comment:
It is very commmon fault of civ players, bad scouting.
It is very cheap to build scout or 2 and couple workboats and send them exploring. I expected most teams to find this islands mach early then they did, team D was the best in this regard = they win!

We found the islands in enough time (I think) to do something about it but didn't have the means of getting a boat there. Wasn't the scouting but perhaps the city placement that was our problem (although even then not sure where else we could have put a city on the southern ocean). Also Tokogawa was really badly placed in this regard, as it was the fact we wouldn't OB stopped us getting a galley from Moscow out there.

That was a fun ride! The islands we're a locked door in our game as Boney settled the coast better, whereas team B managed to sneak in a city on his coast and get an offshore presence. Well done on 2nd place, everyone!

You guys made the most effective/extensive use of AI mercenaries out of all teams, it was interesting to watch as you came quite close to catching us up that way. Just a shame you didn't have enough cultural presence in Mongolia to finish it off in time. I wouldn't really worry too much about the islands, as Sulla admitted they were a map generation mistake. Anyway, well played.

Mutineer: Scouting with a workboat would have worked, yes. But Toku got a city on the coast blocking off our route round the west after not so long, so to see the islands we would have had to work at relations with him to get open borders. Since we were not expecting islands, this was not high on our list of priorities.

Anyway, as I said in the RB thread, congratulations to team D who played extremely well. Also, I think they figured out the culture bomb trick which mutineer explained to us in our thread (or maybe mutineer figured it out by himself too - either way thanks mutineer for telling us). So well done for that too. That's another thing I have learnt in this game.

I would join the crowd here to say that this was a very well played game :thumbsup: . Diplomacy was handled right and you got the most out of GK.
An earlier declaration on Mongolia would have eliminated them, so I agree this would have been a win without the islands which delayed the declaration on Genghis

Re the culture bomb trick, uberfish noticed it empirically, but the credit goes to VoU who gave deep analysis on the mechanism

Top Bottom