RB29c - Cultural Extermination

Its a two-edged sword. We need GK to clear out the island, which means we can't attack him, which means he can keep big garrisons in his cities, which stopmthem flipping.

If we attack GK and try the islands ourselves, we need to be able to cash rush plenty of culture buildings over there in our foorholds, JC hasn't got decent garrisons. We could clear out GK's garrisons pretty quickly if we wanted with the bombers, artillery and infantry already there.

Either way, we need to keep the research at 0% I think and the culture slider as high as possible (with cash rushing also needed), as one front will need to be pushed back the hard way.

I'm really unsure which will be easier.

Perhaps we can delay declaring war on GK in hopes that he will raze one of the more difficult cities to get to. We're going to need to time this well.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it will be MUCH easier to have GK take out the islands. We border so many of GK's cities, that when we eventually declare on him we can take out most of his defenders from turn one. Nothing we have now can come close to that for the island cities can it?

The problem is we don't know if he WILL. And if he does will it be in enough time for us to flip him. If we go this path and he doesn't then we won't suceed on either front.

Let's keep encouraging GK to take out the islands for the set, and keep building military in case we need to change tack (we should move all but small amount of garrison troops over to Mongolia in case we need plan B).

Yey, GK takes an island city! Sweet work, keep it going. Gift a few more troops maybe, direct him which city to attack. Actually, maybe we should gift him flight, rocketry and oil so he can upgrade his cavs to gunships. Risky, but we gotta take some drastic action. As soon as rome is wiped out, we should declare on Mongolia (assuming our troops are in position). If we flip a mongolian city beforehand with only a few turns before the declaration, don't settle the corresponding flipper city as it will get hit by artillery. Wipe out his stacks first, then settle the flipper tiles.

And yes, I will need another skip, possibly won't get to play another turnset in this game. Really looking forward to picking my computer up at the end of the month and playing some civ again.

Turn 0: I order some additional troops to head towards GK's territory. We still have enough troops to repel a counterattack on the mainland by JC (or at least I hope we do) but I saw no need for 10+ of both Cannons and Cossacks to be hanging out looking over the islands. I also don't understand how GK took out JC's island cities - where is his navy? I really hope it's in the fog and he hasn't stranded his troops on our little island. I should also say I did NOT act on Sooooo's (probably sound) advice to gift GK three techs to get gunships. I think we're more limited by his willingness to conduct an amphibious campaign, and I didn't want to totally give away our tech lead without any discussion, and also didn't want to hold the game up any longer.

Turn 1: Dehli founded on our newly accessible island. I start Rock and Roll in Tobolsk. I ask GK to attack Setia - picking what looks to me to be the hardest city to flip.

Turn 2: A Buddhist Stupa (!) completes in Moscow. I'm assuming that was a misclick.

Turn 4: Ravenna flips to us! I raze the city, and we now have an Infantry soldier that will spend the rest of the game chilling of a deserted island. I hope he brought a paperback.

Turn 7: Great Artist born. I send it towards the JC island front. It will arrive one turn after we finish, so the next player can either culture bomb the city I sent it to or decide to move it elsewhere.

Turn 10: At this point we have a Great Artist along the JC border. We have several spare missionaries on a tile called "staging area" if we are able to grab another island location. We have two settler in a nearby city. Many cities along the border cash-rushed Temples and Cathedrals. We also have a large army along the GK frontier - if we decide to attack it will take only a handful of turns to crush his border cities.

On the other hand we only got one flip during my turn. We have most of the religions spread to most of the border cities. We have the cash to rush multiple cultural buildings per turn. Yet the flips are not coming fast enough. I don't know what to do here - I'm almost 100% that we can't take out those island cities without GK, but I'm also very worried we'll have time to flip GKs second ring of cities (those we do NOT border) unless we declare soon. Defeating him militarily will be easy, but it will take some turns to flip the nearer cities, then expand our culture, and flip the others. All in all though, I just don't see how we can declare on GK before he takes out the island cities. He has the troops, and he said he would attack one, but I see little movement there. So I don't really know to do.....

The Roster:
sooooo - being skipped
Ozbenno
Qwack - ???
Sunrise089 - just played
Kodii - up!
Swiss Pauli - on deck

The Save:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/91988/RB29_-_Cultural_Extermination_AD-1970.Civ4SavedGame

Yes, it's evident that we won't get conquest before 2050AD, but let's try to exterminate as many AI cities as possible. I would use both of the GAs on the mongolian front. Possibly save one to settle immediately in a new city, use the other to culture bomb using mutineer's trick. Personally I vote for holding off declaring on mongolia until JC is dead, but would bow to the majority of the team. So Kodii is up now.

Got it. I'll will play as it comes... I'm hoping GK will raze another Roman city as I don't think we can finish off the islands alone.

I've got it, but I won't play until tomorrow.

Not looked at the save, but it looks like we're only likely to get the booby prize of eliminating Khan.

Played a slow 5 turns. Settled in for the first two turns and decided the islands are indeed beyond us (though I did rush some cultural infrastructure over there). Last time round, I gave Khan Artillery for 20g, but, on reflection, I think I'll add have head on a pole, too:

Karakorum, both Sarais, and Tabriz were reduced to 1 defender each for minimal losses, so culture rate was upped to 60%. Smashed the reinforcements again on turn 4 and in the inter-turn we had some good news:

More bombing, raiding and taking out reinforcements on turn 5. I've left the GA unmoved as yet. We could detonate him in NewSarai, but I think we should wait to take Karakorum before dropping the bomb.

Tactics for the next set: use the Artillery in New Sarai to attack Karakorum, and use the stack 1 SW of Karakorum to attack Turfan, after making some airstrikes to weaken its defenders. GK is gassed and has a largely useless navy lying in port...I wonder how he got all those boats?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/96651/RB29_-_Cultural_Extermination_AD-1985.Civ4SavedGame

Sadly the islands are too far offshore, and too strongly Roman, for a bomb to make much impact. Let's drive Khan into the sea (he's got plenty boats, after all) and claim a minor success.

Pretty good! We need to rush some improvements (granary most urgently) into New Sarai. It's going to take a while to get Turfan, if only we had built Yauktsk 1 tile W. In fact, I've been having the if-only-we'd-build-yakutsk-1-tile-W thought for the whole game :)

Well the GA is still active when I open the save, Old Sarai might be a good spot for it, once it flips.

We get a revolt in Karakorum first IBT, which is encouraging.

Tabriz has alot of units and getting rid of them took ages, even with not loosing any battles. It is eventually left with one artillery and our ex-navy.

We don't need more soldiers, so many cities are set to build wealth. Obsolete units are deleted.

I only played 5, as it took ages and I won't have another chance for another few days.

It is now a case of pressing enter and hoping for the best ;)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/RB29_-_Cultural_Extermination_AD-1990.Civ4SavedGame

Top Bottom