RB2a - Mali - Noble - Just Win Baby!

It's a sub-option on the Diplomacy screen (F4 I think??) You can also see any possible resource trades on another sub-option. I'm at work now otherwise I'd check to make sure.

Good point about the pictures - I'll do that better.

Speak : Are we allowed to check the other teams (RB2c and RB2b) thread or do they have the same start as us ?

i got it
doin the moves tonight

Totally lost :crazyeye:

Plus I have no time AT ALL to be able to play solo and learn more about the game, so every move you see here are my real first ever moves...

Turn 1 (150 BC): Started gearing up for the eventual war with Monty. Changed the worker in Kumbi Saleh to an axeman and put another in Timbuktu, as soon as Gao is done with barracks I will throw some military unit i nthere too. Gonna go for currency after construction to help with the money problems, also construction will allow me to churn out some war elephants that will crush Monty, he doesn't even have spearmen built.

Turn 2 (125 BC): Hinduism spreads to Tlateloco, good news for us. I notice a chariot of Monty's, also good news when we get the elephants. I'm going to hold back on the settler building a new city, because that's only gonna make the money problems harder, the maintenance associated with distance and number of cities really starts to add up, especially this early in the game, we may be at a practical limit of supportable cities at the moment until we can get some moneymaking buildings.

Turn 3 (100 BC): Building some skirmishers too, to compliment the axemen force. A few of each, and some elephants will topple anything they have. Some cats as well too.

Turn 4 (75 BC): Nothin much, barb axe movin towards kumbi, will take care of it.

Turn 5 (50 BC): Took care of the barb, got construction started building cats and elephants. I love the smell of elephant in the morning!

Turn 6 (25 BC): Nothin.

Turn 7 (1 AD): Ah the new millenium. Still buildin.

Turn 8 (25 AD): Nothin.

Turn 9 (50 AD): First cat finished, sent worker to repair pasture.

Turn 10 (75 AD): Finished first elephant, going for another. Ok, so as I leave it, we are 5 turns away from currency and have 12 gold in the bank. We'll have to turn down research soon again. The military force we have available for attack (i.e. not defending cities) is as follows:
4 Skirmishers
2 Axemen
1 War Elephant
1 Catapult

And in construction another war elephant, skirmisher and catapult. That will wipe right over Tlateloco and might be enough for Teotihuacan. Good luck ya'll.

75AD (IT)- Out economy is in poor shape. Research time is really bad. 16 turns for Feudalism? Bleh. I'd like to found another city northwest of Timbuktu near the pigs to be CottageLand. Shuffle a few troops to be ready to move into Aztec land next turn. Veto the Elephant in Timbuktu for a settler (for now).

100AD (1): Wait one more turn for the Catapult.

125AD (2): Wait! We have a settler sitting in Gao! Found cities and deal with the economic aftereffects. That's my motto! Change Timbuktu back to an Elephant, but keep the settler in the queue. What we really need is a prophet to build our Hindu shrine in Timbuktu.

Dial up Montezuma and inform him that, er, his head would look good on a pole. Who says that? :crazyeye:

Here's what the assault plan looks like

Monty has no Cats up here, but I moved troops from different directions, which is why there are two stacks. Notice, however, that each stack is diversified.

IT- Catherine demands Ivory and I tell her to shove off. No guff from you! She backs off but looks uglier.

Hinduism spreads on its own to Edo.

150AD (3): Djenne Granary => Barracks. Gao Skirmisher => Skirmisher. Skirmishers are our best all-around city defenders right now.

Battle of Tlateleco
Catapult bombards, reducing defense from 20% to 17%.
(I'm not going to wait 6 more turns to attack. You need more than one catapult to properly siege a city! I'm moving a little early in this war. We'll be fine.)
War Elephant d. Archer with little damage.
Axeman d. Archer while readlined.
Capture Tlateleco

Thanks for the City Raider II Axeman. He was the only unit other than the Elephant who still had the edge.

IT- Aztecs move a Chariot (aka Free Upgrade (TM) into range.

175AD (4): Whack the Chariot with an Axeman, and heal the rest of the troops.

200AD (5): Research Currency => Literature. If we properly handle our troops, we should be able to get a level 4, which will let us build Heroic Epic in Timbuktu. And then, look out!

225AD (6): Found Walata (aka CottageLand) next to a barb Axeman, but our level-3 Skirmisher should be more than up to the task.

IT- And he is, defeating the Axeman with nary a scratch.

250AD (7): Timbuktu goes to a Worker. We need more cottages, more irrigation, and more mines. I'd like to try to keep to 1 worker per city. Right now we have 3 workers for 7 cities. Gao goes to a Library because it can work high commerce tiles (Ivory Camps).

IT- Alexander asks to trade Calender for Currency, which I decline. I prefer to trade on my own turn. Is there any reason to change this mindset in Civ4? War Elephant kills a Jaguar on defense without a scratch.

275AD (8): Trade Currency to Catherine for Calender and 110 gold. This will stop the money bleed and allow us to build a plantation on the incense in soon-to-be-captured Teotihuacan, which I move most of our troops toward. Two Skirmishers clean up two Chariots with no difficulty.

300AD (9): Pick Feudalism for our next tech, to unlock the Serfdom Civic. Faster workers will help us tremendously here. Vassalage is another option, but I think we'll be done with the war very soon and moving back to building. In fact, since all our cities but 2 are now working on buildings, I switch back to Organized Religion for the 25% boost.

325AD (10): Bombard Teotihuacan down to 22%. This should be ready to attack in 1 or 2 turns. Pick up 200 gold by trading Pottery to Alexander and Asoka.

Conclusion- Timbuktu is running 1 priest to get a great prophet within Voodoocat's turn. Once we have the Hindu shrine, our treasury situation should right itself. Send out lots of missionaries! Capturing Teotihuacan will also boost our treasury. Tlateleco gave us over 100 gold, so Teotihuacan should have at least that. I left the new War Elephant with movement Voodoocat because that's the kind of nice guy I am. Send it to the Aztec front or keep it in the north for Barb control. The Barbs were a bit of a nuisance over the last 10 turns, and will continue to be until we settle up there. We should consider doing that soonish, since there are Furs, Silver, Deer, Horses, and Iron resources up there.

RBC2a - 325AD

You're able to run 90% science still? Bah, that's not a financial quagmire! Come back and talk when your civ is paying out almost 150 gold/turn in civics and maintenance costs, as demonstrated by the Cuban Isolationists. :)

Sullla said:
You're able to run 90% science still? Bah, that's not a financial quagmire!
It's only not a financial quagmire because I just plundered 100 gold from the Aztecs and traded for 300 from backward yet cash-heavy Civs. So yeah, I guess you're right, it's no quagmire. But it will be in 5-10 turns if we don't do something about it. Check back then! :lol:

Wow, I think Sullla just told us that we are doing well. Nah...

I like how conquest is a viable economic alternative in this game. I'm playing a single player game where I'm able to keep my science rate (and tech position) fairly even, as long as I keep conquering cities at a reasonable clip. I did have to pause to build courthouses and the forbidden palace at one point, but I've got lots of gold.

Of course that's still on one of the middle-difficulties. Who knows on the higher difficulties. And I'm Rome, which provided me with the chance to do quite a bit more city capturing than I ordinarily would have before. Got quite a bit in before construction, which seems nigh-impossible with civs other than Rome.

Got it. I'll play tomorrow night. Just got back from a weekend road trip to Zion Nat'l park.

Leftover turn: Sending the war elephant up towards the barbarians
IT: Hinduism spreads to Satsuma. Cat changes to hereditary rule

350 (1): Bombard leaves city at +2%. Promote the 2.4/4 skirm to cover, 2nd skirm gets combat ii. War elephant wins the battle. Skirm loses to archer. 2nd skirm loses. 3rd skirm wins. Axeman marches into tiotihacuan and I keep it. Could have probably saved a skirm had i thought to allow the axeman to attack first.

IT: Japan wants Theology. F#$% that noise.

375 (2): Promote war elephant to march and fortify all units to heal. Barracks finish in djenne and i start a catapult. Worker captured begins work on mine outside of tlatelco.

400 (3): Send catapults, axeman and skirm up to start bombarding.

IT: Lighthouse is done in Bulgar

425 (4): Move catapults closer to Texcoco

IT: Rome demands 150 gold. Yeah right. Alexander converts to confuscionism

450 (5): War elephant wins against archer in barbarian city only loses 1.2 hp. Bombard gets Texcoco down to 12%

IT: Cat cancels open borders. Kumbi finishes granary and starts work on another war elephant.
475 (6): More bombarding. Down to 4%

IT: Heroic Epic built

500 (7): Texcoco falls easily with no damages and it seems like a good location. Destroy barbarian stronghold and earn 17 gold.

IT: Chariot pillages quary near gao.

520 (8): Upgrade warrior in Gao to an axeman. Moses builds shrine. We are currently getting +8

IT: Chariot attacks gao and loses.

540 (9):
Worker moves

IT: Djenne builds catapult

560 (10): Nothing much

RB2a - 560AD
Here are our lands:

Speaker said:
-Angelus- do you have the game yet? Tomorrow is November 7. I remember you saying you're getting it then? Haven't heard from you in a while.

:blush: Yes I did say I would have it by now, but that was reliant on someone ordering it for me while I was out of contact with my PC.... and guess what, they managed to conveniently ignore all five of the reminders I'd left them, including a phone call! :mad:

Anyway, the game is now in the post somewhere between Jersey and the UK... so it hasn't got too far to go. I'll be here partying the moment I get the game, so don't worry, you'll know when I get it.

I've been reading through the turns though, and it looks like we're doing a good job - even running 100% science with the upkeep costs of quite a large empire! :goodjob:

Edit: By the way, you can leave out the "-"s either side of my name, they're only there because "Angelus" was already taken on CivFanatics.

Am not sure what to do here as the Cat's last build orders were for military but our forces are way to thin to be able to go on and finish the Aztecs.
I decide to go on with the attack and take the last 2 aztec cities, we have quite a lot of units aand should use them now before they get outdated.
Most of them are not in place yet and I will need a few turns to get them all in place for the final assault. I will also try to get a few cities
in the north even though the Barbs are a problem there with some Axemen running loose...

560AD : Move troops southwards, veto a few builds to get units down south fast.

580AD : Have to use a recently produced Elephant vs a barb axeman in the North. Go for a Longbowman unit to defend our future city in the north.
There is a Gem ressource close to us we need to exploit ASAP.

590AD : Hinduism spreads to Rome ! Great news ! In the north a barb swordsmen appears and things are getting tricky over there...All barrack cities
go on unit production we have 2 very distant fronts here !

600AD : Troop movements, workers roading, I send a Hindu missionary to Texcoco, the Aztec city next to the gems hoping for a quick border expansion.
See this is where I can see we're still in the "discovery" phase of the game : I only check the Civics screen now and see that we could change quite
a lot for the better. We are mostly building units so I move to Hereditary Rule, Vassalage, Serfdom and Theocracy :D
Quite a revolution ! But since we're Spiritual , pretty painless ;)

620AD : Moving troops. I spot a Japanese galley with a settler coming towards us ! Argh !
Situation is critical in the North where we will need some good rolls to survive the barbs :(

640AD : The missionary spreads hinduism to Texcoco, this should greatly help our border expansion.

650AD : With a wounded Elephant, I am able to bait the barbs in the North: their Archers attack our highly experienced Skirmishers and impale themselves.
The Barb swordsmen move away from our poorly defended cities letting our Elephants get there before they can. A settler moves to the North accompanied
by Axemen.
I manage to build a Civ3 style coastal blockade so that the Japanese do not settle a city in our lands and pinch a source of horses.

660 AD : The Japanese galley is turning back, they really had the intension of settling on our horses. You will probably have to play cat & mouse with them.
We have a settler accompanied by a City Garrison II Longbowmen going towards the north site with Horses, Furs and Iron.
We have a huge Stack of Doom ;) moving towards the Aztecs. Snaproll can finish them off and start rebuilding.
We need to work on our economy, we have Gems, Dyes, Incense and Furs all within reach ! Once connected they will greatly help us.
In 2 turns you can change back to Organized Religion to work on spreading Hinduism and maybe out of vassalage, to save on upkeep.
Theocracy plus Vassalage has given us double experienced units when coming out of barracks !

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/RB2_AD-0660.Civ4SavedGame

Top Bottom