• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

RBTS4 - Divine Charlemagne

lurker's comment: It just wouldn't feel right to have a Zeviz report with pictures. Personally, I'd feel cheated if one appeared. In a Zeviz report, you can guarantee 3 things:

1) Expert micromanagement - precise whipping, cottage management etc
2) A space ship will get launched before 1800AD if he takes too many turns

and

3) NO FREAKING PICTURES!

Got it?

The Saxons wasted their force on a fruitless attack. They waited for round of stone throwing then sent every mounted unit but one against the Papal Pike who arrived just in time.

That lonely chariot is all that was left of the Saxon PileofDread.

Got a missionary out and converted the heathens at Kassite, then sent a second to the southwest. When he reached the last of Eleanor's towns he converted. Pushed a spear out of Cologne while the town trained settler and look what he found. More luxuries, crabs and lots of green riverbanks. No production to speak of but a ton of gold

That spear also made a meeting with this sweetheart

who was dumb and too poor to do anything about it. He then continued his wanderings to the southwest into Alboin's lands in Normandy.

This event came with increasing frequency

and at the end we had this for an uber Pike army

I put together some troops to pay a visit to the Saxon, then decided the march was not worth it without a few more siege engines.

I didn't see any thing worth fighting for so I took this deal when offered

then sent the expedition to the north to have some fun with the barbarian city up there - and to pick up some experience.

We reached new heights of Papal Favor

burned down the barbarian town for some cash

And learned Machinery

The scientist born at the capitol went for an academy, the workers worked improving the capitol for cash and growth, then once the war was over headed for the border towns to do some growth management work there.

With the war over the swap to Bureaucracy was made.

The settler in Cologne remains unmoved, send him west or try to fill out Sulla's dot map, though I fear the spot to the south is pretty close to the borders of some nasty people.

I think we are pretty well set to go back on the development path again.

Attachments

• RBTS4 - Divine Charlemagne AD-0720.CivBeyondSwordSave
    194.3 KB · Views: 95
Civman, excellent job spotting that surprise attack. :goodjob: And Bede, nice conclusion to the war. :)

I will not play my turns today to give everybody a chance to decide what to do with the settler. I'd favor claiming the north, and letting others fight over the south. I would also like to continue missionary work, train at least 1 more settler, and start building trebuchets. (Or should we switch to Theocracy before doing it?)

How does this plan sound?

PS About screenshots, I have a modem at home, so I still don't know what we got for peace from the Saxons. :( And page 2 of this thread is still stuck after Sulla's post. :(

I do include the screenshots if there is something important to show, but a lot of pictures carry no additional information while wasting everybody's bandwidth. However, if the clash in reporting styles is too much, I will try to include more pictures in the future.

lurker's comment: It just wouldn't feel right to have a Zeviz report with pictures. Personally, I'd feel cheated if one appeared. In a Zeviz report, you can guarantee 3 things:

1) Expert micromanagement - precise whipping, cottage management etc
2) A space ship will get launched before 1800AD if he takes too many turns

and

3) NO FREAKING PICTURES!

Got it?

It would be like a Mutineer report that was perfectly formatted and spell-checked, or any SG from the DM crew that didn't get verbally abusive on the first page :)

Nice job finishing off the war Bede. I'd recommend going north if there are still good spots available.

Our empire seems to be in great shape. Technologically, we are missing only Feudalism and in a couple cases music, and are up a lot of techs on "barbarian" leaders. The fact that those guys are still missing longbows while we could train maces means that we don't even need Catapults, if we can attack soon enough.

However, we can't train Macemen, because that requires Military Encampment. That is unlocked by Engineering tech. Since Metal Armor is a dead end tech that enables only inferior swordsmen, while Engineering enables Military Camps, Macemen (indirectly), Pikemen, and increased road movement, Engineering looks like a superior choice. No beakers have been invested yet, so I switch from Metal Armor(10) to Engineering(19).

Next I go through our cities.

The Capital no longer needs its scientists, so I fire them, returning the Farm to Mainz. Mainz is reconfigured for faster growth and worker's farm order is cancelled. There aren't enough hills in the area to require extra farms, especially considering the abandance of food already present. However, I let Capital work the farm for a turn to time the growth together with completion of Temple, allowing it to start on a Worker next turn. Hestral is building a Catapult without Barracks, a situation I quickly correct.

Cologne looks good, but I need to remember to reconfigure it to work the cottages when Missionary has been trained. Kassite (our newest city) can whip a Granary, so I do that. The city is a classic fishing village, short on production, so it will need a lot of whipping.

A worker at Kassite is chopping down a Forest. :smoke: That forest is the only source of hammers for that city, besides a future mine and pasture. I understand that aggressive chopping is a viable early game strategy, but unless you want the city to rely exclusively on whips for production, it's good to have at least some source of hammers. Another reason to leave these forests is that they are good for emergencies. If we are backstubbed and have to produce an army out of thin air, all forests will be quite handy. Finally, forests give badly needed health boost.

Finally, we get to the Settler. There seems to be a consensus to expand north, so I move the Settler towards the spot south of Dyes. That city will have 2 Seafood resources for whipping, Dyes, and a mine shared with Kassite. I am tempted to settle south-west, grabbing another Dye and fresh water, but that extra Fish is just too good to ignore, especially for a city that will rely exclusively on whips for production.

For city production, we need more workers and settlers. (Why did we raise that Barb city? It was perfectly positioned.) Aside from that, I'll just build infrastructure as needed, and catapults if I run out of things to build. And perhaps missionaries. Although that might not be a very efficient way of getting victory points, so I'll probably train missionaries only for our own cities.

Finally, I send a warrior out of Hestral to explore Saxon territory.

Thus ends the inherited turn. :)

722AD(turn 65) - Capital Temple -> Worker(3). The farm is given back to Mainz, allowing it to grow. Kassite Granary -> Work Boat(3), thanks to overflow from the whip. Worker will spend a turn building road, then will start pasture on horses. Reims is founded and begins work on Granary. This increases our expenses by 9 gpt. So we'll have to work a lot of cottages to keep up with our expansion. Cottages will be the top priority for our workers now.

The main stack will be positioned on a hill near the Capital for easier response to unexpected aggression.

724AD (turn 66) - Cologne Missionary -> Library(5). The citizens are moved from forests to cottages, dramatically improving our finances.

Bavarians have "too much on their hands" and I see a stack of 4 Cats, 4 HAs, a Sword, and 2 Supply Trains in a city next to our border. I wonder whom they will attack. The cities of other AIs have only 2-3 units in each of them. I also notice that Gundoband is at war with Chiperic. I divert an axeman to watch the frontlines. By the way, most AI opponents have 5 or 6 cities already, so our starting advantage is quickly disappearing.

726AD (turn 67) - Mainz Cat -> Temple(6). Mainly for victory points and culture on the border. Missionary used in Reims.

728AD (turn 68) - Capital Worker -> Settler(7). Most cities are working improved tiles now, so it seems we do have enough workers after all and just need one more Settler. Kassite Work Boat -> Work Boat for Reims.

730AD (turn 69) - Chiperic wants us to attack Gungoband. No way! G-guy is #2 in score and probably has one of the best armies in the world, while Chiperic has only 3 cities.

We popped Gems at the Capital!

And while I am wasting time with pictures, here is a view of the Chiperic-G-guy war:

Note the Hills2 Longbow in a city on flat Grassland. Apparently AI could still learn a lot about optimizing promotions.

732AD (turn 70) - Histral Catapult -> Monastery(5) This will give more culture on the border, improve science, and give us more victory points. Kassite whips Work Boat for Reims. Saxons are now Pleased with us due to shared Civics.

734AD (turn 71) - Cologne Library -> Temple(4) (victory points and culture on the border) Kassite Work Boat -> Work Boat (last one). Saxons found a city very aggressively, but we still have room for our own city.

IBT: Chiperic captures Vienne (next to our Cologne), occupying it with a single Light Cavalry. Apparently that Hill2-promoted Longbow didn't do too well.

736AD (turn 72) - Mainz Temple -> Stable(3) (just in case we want to train mounted units in the future)

738AD (turn 73) - Bavarians attack, capturing a worker who was chopping forest on the border. I send most of our spare troops to the area. Looks like we'll have our chance to capture some cities from backwards opponents after all. The invading stack of 2HA, 2 Light Cav, 4 Cats, and 2 Supply Trains looks impressive, but will be easily destroyed by our Papal Pikemen.

Kassite whips its last Work Boat.

740AD (turn 74) - Kassite Work Boat -> Forge (will have to be whipped). Most of our troops arrive in place.

Here is the main front:

Our 4 Cats are under that Pikeman north of Hestal. As you can see, the attack forse is about to get wiped out, so I wouldn't take this war too seriously.

Let's talk about our expansion. We'll get a settler in 2 turns and I'd suggest to refound on the Barbarian ruins shown below.

That city will be the perfect fishing village with 2 Fish, and a Gems mine. As you can see, I've already started building a road towards it.

Notes:
1. Don't worry about the war. The "barbarians" are too technologically backwards to pose any threat, and our Papal Pikemen will go through their cavalry like knife through butter.

2. Once we get Engineering in 7 turns (or 6 if you don't mind a slight deficit research), you can start building military camps everywhere, and then we can train Macemen and have some fun. Meanwhile, I'd build infrastructure, missionaries, and perhaps a couple workers.

3. For whipping villages, I'd suggest the following build order: Granary (growth=better whipping) -> Forge (better production) -> Monastery (VPs, culture, and research) -> whatever.

4. Capital is still missing Barracks.

5. Please don't chop non-hill forests unless absolutely necessary. Save them for real emergencies. Also, please don't whip our 4 starting cities. They have good production and potential to grow large population, so whipping will do more harm than good. Whipping villages on the other hand ...

Have fun. :)

Attachments

• RBTS4 - Divine Charlemagne AD-0740.CivBeyondSwordSave
    210.6 KB · Views: 101
Civ4 can be very complicated. I showed my brother page two of this game and his first 4 words were: "I don't get it" :lol:

Sorry, I'll post the roster in the future.

A couple things I forgot to include in my report:

1. Keep an eye on trading opportunities. We might be able to get Feudalism for Engineering. Or we might get it from Saxons for a bunch of outdated techs.

2. It seems Bavarians attacked us the moment they got Feudalism. (I was checking trade screen every few turn, and saw Feudalism available only after war started.)

3. Saxons might attack us too. Their new city was founded in a place where it's pressed by our culture. This is why I am holding some troops in reserve in the north. It might also be good for our logistics to connect Kassite to Mainz, completing the road from pasture.

4. G-guy's city to our south is in revolt because of pressure from Alboin's culture. So he might not remain our top competitor for long.

Turn 1: Move troops around. Order up a Christian Missionary for our new city, plus a crossbow. Start working on that road connecting our cities.

Turn 2: IT - AI suicides it's stack, we loose maybe one unit :) I counterattack and kill the calvary that withdrew, killing all with no losses and gaining us two free workers.

GG is born, I'll save it for now. Start a barracks in the capital.

Turn 5:

Aachen founded on the old ruins.

Turn 6: Only Justinian will trade newly arrived Engineering for Feudalism.

I take the trade, since I want to research towards knights. Guilds due in 14. i set our cities building military camps.

Turn 7: Bavarian leader brings another largish stack into our lands, this time with a longbow. I had considered trying to take one of his cities, but instead send our troops to block his stack. I may make peace is we can't fight him on favorable terms.

Turn 8: I spread Christianity to our new city. Bavarian leader will only give us 2gpt for peace. A war declaration:

Turn 9: Whip forge in Kassite. Enemy units suicide again. I don't think we suffered any losses, and now another 8-odd unit stack is dead. Scouting warrior meets Saladin. More war declarations:

Turn 10: Anglo-Saxon leader offers Optics for Engineering. Next player can take it at the end of this turn if they want. Take out a Bavarian scout that wandered into our territory. Our stack:

We also have some units in our new city, and a Papal Pikeman in the city near the large stack. For the future, we can probably take an AI city, or make peace if we want. We can also make some lopsided trades if the team would like. Also, let's decide what to use our GG for.

The Roster:
Sullla
Bede
Zeviz
Sunrise089 - just played
Swiss Pauli - up!
civman123 - on deck

The Save:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/91988/RBTS4_-_Divine_Charlemagne_AD-0758.CivBeyondSwordSave

Nice progress. :)

Those war declarations looked very scary, especially during the several minutes the pictures took to load. In the future, could you include all essential information in text, along with pictures. (Perhaps you could add a brief summary section at the end, if you don't want to break up the flow of the report.)

I'd favor making any tech trade we can, because that's the only way for us to keep up with deity AIs. Remember that we need the following techs: Music->Nationalism->Military Tradition->Courtly Manners, and Guilds, which it seems we are researching already.

I'd vote for continuing the Bavarian war until they are dead, or someone else attacks us. Their units are just a source of free experience for our troops, and capturing all their cities will leave us with almost enough cities to win the scenario just by building some buildings and attacking Saladin. However, we should train at least one Supply Train before beginning serious military operations.

For the Great General, Military Academy in our top production city is probably the best option. Or a Military Instructor. I wouldn't waste him on merging with troops, because without ability to make Medic III, in the long term Military Instructor will provide a much greater benefit.

Nice progress. :)
In the future, could you include all essential information in text, along with pictures.

For the Great General, Military Academy in our top production city is probably the best option.
I've actually been deliberately trying to make my reports MORE picture reliant rather than less - it seems like that makes them more entertaining to lurk. I forgot about dial-up users though, so I'll try to add a "don't worry, it's all AI-on-AI warring" or the like.

I agree to go Military Academy in the best production city.

I've actually been deliberately trying to make my reports MORE picture reliant rather than less - it seems like that makes them more entertaining to lurk. I forgot about dial-up users though, so I'll try to add a "don't worry, it's all AI-on-AI warring" or the like.
Thanks. I guess there is a balance between making reports interesting enough to lurkers, yet informative enough for the teammates.

Talking about MM, I've noticed workers doing something next to Reims in one of the screenshots. If they did that thing 1 tile south, the improvement would generate extra gold from being on the river. This is not a big deal, but just a minor note for the future.

Thanks. I guess there is a balance between making reports interesting enough to lurkers, yet informative enough for the teammates.

Talking about MM, I've noticed workers doing something next to Reims in one of the screenshots. If they did that thing 1 tile south, the improvement would generate extra gold from being on the river. This is not a big deal, but just a minor note for the future.

Good catch - fortunately we won't be working that tile until pop5, so we have time to correct my mistake.

I've got it, but it'll be tomorrow before I can say when (or whether) I can play this week.

I'm feeling pretty jetlagged tonight and it doesn't look good for the rest of the week, so I'll need to skip (again). Sorry.

Top Bottom