RBTS4 - Divine Charlemagne

One thing I noticed before deciding I was too tired to play well was that, if we emphasize gold and hammers in Metz, we can shave a turn off Guilds.

@Sulla - back on the air yet? It's yours if you want.

I won't be able to touch it until Friday in any case. So if any of the skipped want to jump in it is yours until then, subject to Sulla's return.

It's the first time I've ever had trouble with the "infinite loop" glitch. I had destroyed most of the Bevarian army but on turn 7 it crashed over and over again.

Did anybody try to continue from Civman's auto-save? If that works on Sulla's or Bede's machine, Civman, can you post at least a summar of what happened during your turns?

Did anybody try to continue from Civman's auto-save?

FWIW I downloaded the save, pressed end of turn and it went to the next turn. This was with BTS 3.02.

If Sullla doesn't make some sort of post in the next few hours, feel free to take it Bede.

That was the plan all along so got it and testing it now.

Update: tested out fine, ran two turns, no glitches, will play on tonight.

So what I find on opening the save is that Charlemagne's Army is barely one in name. There are no seige engines, and not too many city assault troops. He is well equipped with Papal pikemen, though ;)

And just enough to stop the knights that come boiling out of Bavaria. The knights all die but his generals are ill equipped to deal with the remaining Bavarians, crossbows and catapults, so a strategic withdrawal is initiated to the NW to put the army on a roaded hill.

But before Bavaria can march any further cut a peace deal (30g + 3gpt).

That should buy us some time to build up the army with maces and seige and even pick up some more Papal Favor points with some well aimed missionaries and a cathedral in the capitol.

So that is what I did.

Traded Guilds for some cash, Music, Paper and world maps for world maps and cash so now we have all the map knowledge we could wish. Crowded little world we live in. The maps exposed some towns for cheap missionary activity though I was not allowed to pursue that path.

The Bavarian knocked on the door right after declaring on Alboin to the south, and demanded Drama. Figuring that he had plenty on his hands and really didn't want a fight with us, gave him the boot.

Well, was I ever mistaken:lol:

But this time Charlemagne's troops were ready for him. The only sight of a Bavarian horde were a crossbow and Light Cavalry passing into Alboin's lands.

And we now have a force on the doorstep to the first Bavarian town, with reinforcements coming behind

I have marked on the map two more settlement possibilities, one to the SW and another to the east.

Research is now set on Nationalism as Philosophy came quickly after Music. We can pick up Theology at our leisure if it is wanted.

Attachments

• RBTS4 - Divine Charlemagne AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    254.2 KB · Views: 87
I will need a skip until further notice due to the resurgence of an ancient malady.

I see the save, but probably will not be able to play until tomorrow evening.

Bede, sorry to hear that. I hope you'll feel better soon.

I will need a skip until further notice due to the resurgence of an ancient malady.

Sorry about this a well, hope you are all fixed up soon.

Team: With Sullla away and Bede concentrating on more important things, I think it's understandable if we slow the pace a bit. Let's just try to keep everyone updated on the pace of the turnsets, so we can try to keep the most available player up next.

I'm back until Thursday night, then away for the weekend. I'm up in two other SGs at the moment, but I may be able to squeeze a set in this week. Will keep you posted.

@Bede: I wish you a speedy recovery, oh venerable one.

I see that we've already started a was with Saladin, which helped bring us up to 122 Papal Favor points. So we need just 28 more, which means conquering about 4 other cities and building all Christian buildings there. That's what I'll work on during this turnset.

First, let's take a look at the diplomatic situation:

It's dangerous to have everybody at Cautious, but as long as they are fighting each other we can consider ourselves to be safe. However, if any of those wars end, we could be faced with a sudden attack from an unexpected direction. So I will try to keep some units in reserve in the center of our empire.

Here is the technology situation:

As you can see, we are on par with main AIs and ahead of minor tribes. Since Optics and Astronomy are completely useless here, we are actually ahead of everybody in terms of technologies that matter. Do not trade with AIs for useless techs like Optics and Metal Armor. The only techs I would even consider trading for are the ones leading to the Printing Press, but even those might come too late to matter.

Finally, I take a look at our empire itself and find that the fishing villages have been neglecting their infrastructure. Two of them are still building Granaries! In fact, Rheims is up to size 8 and still doesn't have a single building! And Aachen is still missing a second fishing net. :smoke: That's the kind of city management old CIV AI used to do before Blake fixed it. You might be able to get away with this on Monarch, but this is Deity and our initial advantage will evaporate quickly if we sqander it this way.

I whip the Granary in Reims, and will train a fishing boat in Kessite after it finishes a temple next turn. I'll also whip Aachen as soon as it grows to sufficient size.

Why do we have two Military Instructors in Mainz? Everybody on the thread agreed to use Great Generals for Military Academies instead. If that wasn't an option, it would be good to at least mention it in the reports. I know that lurkers like pretty pictures, but you have to include enough information for your teammates, especially when you are overwriting consensus on the thread.

Oh, and Hestral is training Heavy Cavalry without stables, while Mainz is using its stables and 2 military instructors to train a Trebuchet. I put Stables at the top of Hestral's production queue. About those Trebuchets, any city with a Military Encampment can produce 5xp Trebs (enough for accuracy), so Mainz's instructors are better used training 11XP Cavalry.

Sorry if the above text sounds angry, but it takes me several hours (almost entire evening) to make these turn reports, so it's very annoying when even teammates don't bother reading them. ("Whip Granaries in fishing villages" was mentioned several times in the last report, including the Notes section at the end.) I guess I should just waste less time making detailed reports and just slap together a couple of pretty pictures lurkers love so much.

And who was promoting our units? A Pikeman with shock?! A Spearman with Charge?! :smoke:

Anyway, back to the game.

IBT Our main stack gets hit by a catapult.

802AD - Two trebs are promoted to accuracy and bombard the city. According to combat info screen, we are not attacking across river even from our current position, so I don't move the stack. Mainz starts training 11xp heavy cavalries.

IBT We get a Papal Pikeman. A catapult attacks our exploring warrior, but withdraws due to inability to do lethal damage. The warrior will run to hide in Papal lands anyway.

804AD - Whip Granary in Aachen. Complete bombardment of Angsburg. Our troops weren't able to heal at all without supply train, which has arrived only now, so I'll take this turn for the troops to recover from old catapult hit, and for new troops to be able to join the siege.

806AD - Whip Forge in Reims. Battle of Angsburg: Treb dies to Longbow. Treb withdraws from same LB. Treb withdraws from Crossbow. Treb withdraws from Crossbow. After this, it's just cleanup, and the city is ours. By the way, all military builds besides Meinz should be trebuchets, because they have much better odds than macemen when facing crossbows. (And heavy crossbows are about to enter the picture.)

808AD - Move towards next targets. Some troops heal.

810AD - Rheims whips Monastery. Kassite whips Library, getting rid of a citizen working unimproved forest and an engineer.

IBT Chiperic becomes vassal of Justinian.

812AD - A cat is bombarding Witten, while main stack that finished healing is a turn away.

IBT: Saxons deman Wine and I cave in, because we aren't ready for a two front war yet. Remember to cancel this deal later.

814AD - Reims whips a Temple. Troops are in a position to attack Witten.

IBT: Anglo-Saxons demand Paper. I agree because it's a useless tech and I don't want a two-front war.

816AD - Battle of Witten. Treb dies to Longbow. Treb withdraws from Mace. Treb withdraws from Mace. Treb withdraws from Crossbow. And it's just cleanup after that.

818AD Saxons found a city very close to our new conquest.

IBT Bavarians counter-attack with two units, that die easily.

820AD Nationalism->Military Tradition(16) Whip Forge in Aachen. Start moving troops towards Bavarian capital.

Notes:

1. Don't forget the whip. (Especially in new cities and fishing villages.)

2. We can buy Banking and some junk for Nationalism. I'd vote for doing this, and switching to Mercantelism right away.

3. Don't forget to cancel the Wines deal when it expires.

4. I am assembling an emergency reserve stack near our capital. It has only 3 Papal Pikemen so far, but we should add a few more units, to be able to deal with an unexpected backstub.

5. We are very close to victory. Just building temples and monasteries in all our cities should put us close, especially after we build a second cathedral.

Attachments

• RBTS4 - Divine Charlemagne AD-0820.CivBeyondSwordSave
    269.9 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom