Real Natural Disasters (released)

@Thibaulthc
- the resources are displayed in the pop up window, you can see it any time you want (Lenses, recent disaster); also the idea is not to know exactly when a resource will go away, but rather to be aware that some of them will go away sooner or later
- the stronger the disaster is, the higher probability that a permanent resource will spawn :) you can harvest them later with builders; if you increase the power, it might result in more permanent resources... maybe it should be scaled down?. I still want rather temp resources to spawn
- on bigger maps the disasters are scattered on the entire map, so you'll never get too many of them
- the disaster sites (inc. volcano crater) do not appear on mountains by design, because mountains are not workable. So, you'd never get benefits from the resource. The resource is placed on the closest possible tile to the actual site.

indeed, I had set disasters , that's why I had more peranent resources
But I just tried I second game with everything on standard (map , speed, disasters ,..) and I still had too many -IMO- resources, temporary and permanent ones, and disasters
What I would make: ONLY temp resources, but lasting sometimes longer (like between 2 and 30? turns) but never permanent, excepted for the craters , but I would nerf them (+4science +2 culture +2 faith is really big); or just less resources; but right now there are too many I think

Are you sure Mountains are not workable? In my souvenirs, it's like desert tiles: not workable until there are some yields on it? Or maybe was it that way in civ V :/ ?

I didnt see the info about resources in the Lense, my bad, I'll have a better look next tie :)

Resources are placed in the following order:
- disaster site
- standard ones
- permanent
- temporary
You get a lot of them because there are many empty tiles. Ones you start building cities, improvements, wonders, there won't be many places to actually put them.

Even if a resource is permanent, you can remove it with harvest. Its an option for you to decide.

Craters are quite strong because you can't remove them. Till end of game, this tile will not be usable for anything else. I agree that they are strong at the beginning but again - you need to have in your borders. Anyway, I might nerf them and add yields with game progress.

Mountains are not workable in vanilla game. You need a mod to enable them.

I tried it out. till turn 150 everything is working fine. I would give your mod 5 stars. thank you for doing it.:king::king::king::king::king:

Further impressions and test reports follow soon:rockon:

I wasn't too much a fan of the idea of just adding disasters, but adding in possible positives happening did it for me, I'm going to play with this mod.

I noticed that this mod adds some other new lenses, not related to disasters?

I would like to request a small change to the code within file RealNaturalDisasters.lua

Currently this chunk of code will register any building a city has as a possible target for "damage":
Spoiler :
Code:
-- 5 - check for buildings
local pCityBuildings = pCity:GetBuildings();
for building in GameInfo.Buildings() do
	if pCityBuildings:HasBuilding(building.Index) and
		pCityBuildings:GetBuildingLocation(building.Index) == iPlot then
		-- found building, register it
		dprint("  ...found a building (id,name)", building.Index, GameInfo.Buildings[building.Index]);
		tEffect = Effect_Record:new(iPlot, iMagnitude, eOwnerID, sOwnerCiv, sOwnerCity, sLocalOwner);
		tEffect:AssignObject(EffectClasses.EFFECT_BUILDING, pCity, sLocalOwner, building.Index);
		table.insert(self.Effects, tEffect);
	end -- found building
end -- buildings loop
However, since this looks at all buildings a city has, this can create problems for other mods, especially those using dummy buildings. The dummy buildings system I have developed here LeeS' Dummy Buildings Utilities adds a new column (IsDummy) to table Buildings specifically to help simplify some of the issues inherent in identifying dummy buildings within lua code. I also have future plans for another mod that would be adding a column called IsSpecialBuilding. I would suggest something along these lines:
  • A function to check whether a building should be considered immune from the damage effects, such as:
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    function BuildingIsNotDamageImmune(pCity, iBuildingIndex)
    	--returns boolean "false" when the building should be considered immune
    	local tBuildingData = GameInfo.Buildings[iBuildingIndex]
    	if (tBuildingData.IsDummy ~= nil) and (tBuildingData.IsDummy == true) then
    		return false
    	end
    	if (tBuildingData.IsSpecialBuilding ~= nil) and (tBuildingData.IsSpecialBuilding == true) then
    		return false
    	end
    	if (tBuildingData.MustPurchase == true) then
    		if (tBuildingData.PurchaseYield ~= "YIELD_GOLD") and (tBuildingData.PurchaseYield ~= "YIELD_FAITH") then
    			return false
    		end
    	end
    	local sCityBuildItem = pCity:GetBuildQueue():CurrentlyBuilding()
    	if GameInfo.Buildings[sCityBuildItem] ~= nil then
    		for row in GameInfo.BuildingPrereqs() do
    			if (row.Building == sCityBuildItem) and (row.PrereqBuilding == tBuildingData.BuildingType) then
    				return false
    			end
    		end
    	end
    	--this would be the default "return value" and would mean the building can be considered damagable
    	return true
    end
    • The code as shown would also keep the disaster mod from pillaging a prereq building wherein the city is in the process of constructing the dependant building. This additional suggestion occured to me because I'm not sure if the game will de-que any building a city is currently constructing if it's prerequisite building is suddenly pillaged or detroyed.
    • I believe setting MustPurchase == true but not setting a PurchaseYield is the other most common way of defining a dummy building, although I do not use that method.
  • Alteration of the previously shown code chunk to something as like:
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    -- 5 - check for buildings
    local pCityBuildings = pCity:GetBuildings();
    for building in GameInfo.Buildings() do
    	if pCityBuildings:HasBuilding(building.Index) and BuildingIsNotDamageImmune(pCity, building.Index) and
    		pCityBuildings:GetBuildingLocation(building.Index) == iPlot then
    		-- found building, register it
    		dprint("  ...found a building (id,name)", building.Index, GameInfo.Buildings[building.Index]);
    		tEffect = Effect_Record:new(iPlot, iMagnitude, eOwnerID, sOwnerCiv, sOwnerCity, sLocalOwner);
    		tEffect:AssignObject(EffectClasses.EFFECT_BUILDING, pCity, sLocalOwner, building.Index);
    		table.insert(self.Effects, tEffect);
    	end -- found building
    end -- buildings loop
  • This would allow easy adaptation as circumstances arise to give compatibility to other mods as mod-compatibility issues re buildings arise and are identified as any such needed changes can be easily added to the function shown as BuildingIsNotDamageImmune in this request.

@LeeS That's a pretty good suggestion, I will certainly add such a check for dummy buildings (based on IsDummy and MustPurchase/PurchaseYields). I assume that the intention behind dummy building is that they are actually not there, so they can't be destroyed.
I don't know about IsSpecial however. Do you intend it to be 'hidden' as well? Maybe we'll see once you release the mod. With the checking routine in place it will be easy to add more conditions.
The last one - the prereq buildings - I'll test first how the game behaves in such situation. Maybe it's handling it properly.
Thanks again!

Yeah, basically dummy buildings are meant to not be seen or built, and/or are intended as 'unlockers' (as I am using them generally) to allow an effect from a modifier or to allow construction of a 'real' building.

IsSpecialBuilding we can deal with if you want after I release the mod(s) I have in mind for it. But in a nutshell I intend to use such buildings as a visible building a player will be able to see, but they will never actually construct such buildings. The buildings with IsSpecialBuilding would be placed into the city when a city is founded or conquered, for example. The building would then act as a marker for Dynamic Modifiers to apply "affectX" to this city. But a player might own one city which is getting "affectX" as a result of that city having "buildingX", and another of their cities might be getting "affectY" instead because it has "buildingY" rather than "buildingX". A third city owned by the same player might be getting both effects because that city has both "buildingX" and "buildingY".

Where do I save the v2 folder?
There is a MODS folder in the C drive in My Games but my steam folder is in the D drive so I am confused as to where to save it to.

Thank's for mod, it amazing.

But how I can to rebuild the Palace in the Capital, when it is destroyed whith disaster?

And I can't to rebuild the ancient walls in late eras. And I can't to rebuild the classical walls in the Industrial or New era, when it is destroyed.

Yeah, basically dummy buildings are meant to not be seen or built, and/or are intended as 'unlockers' (as I am using them generally) to allow an effect from a modifier or to allow construction of a 'real' building.

IsSpecialBuilding we can deal with if you want after I release the mod(s) I have in mind for it. But in a nutshell I intend to use such buildings as a visible building a player will be able to see, but they will never actually construct such buildings. The buildings with IsSpecialBuilding would be placed into the city when a city is founded or conquered, for example. The building would then act as a marker for Dynamic Modifiers to apply "affectX" to this city. But a player might own one city which is getting "affectX" as a result of that city having "buildingX", and another of their cities might be getting "affectY" instead because it has "buildingY" rather than "buildingX". A third city owned by the same player might be getting both effects because that city has both "buildingX" and "buildingY".

Such a building for the implementation of dynamic events like epidemics would be great.

@phoenix-v I'm aware that Wall-type buildings cause some problems, also Palace seems to behave differently. I will address those but atm I'm busy with RL.

Two more problems. It is impossible to repair Pyramids and Petra. This is due to the fact that there are no more desert plains around my city, but this wonders can be built only on the desert plains. All you can't build — you can't rebuild :)

Love this. Thank you so much for breathing more life into the game.
Could a potential sister-mod be considered for natural "non-distaster" events?
Tree and jungle growth, global warming (as in civ4, loved gradually seeing the planet turn to desert after several nuclear wars), perhaps even permanent flooding to expand lakes by 1 hex in a random flat tile direction.

Edit: Almost the best part of this mod, the enlarged minimap :p Though it does have a broken CQUI button for those of us not using that mod (but using Sukirats minor ui enhancements)

Last edited:
Top Bottom