Real or imagined threats

Most people are good. Most people are also not good enough, and I do not exempt myself from this.

You'll get no argument from me there. I also have many opportunities. But I'll bet you we both have less tomorrow than today because at least we can admit we are flawed.

I was commenting on the argument about harmful Republicans as if Democrats are not.
You only have 2 real choices, one is destroying the nation and planet, the other is not.
So what'll it be, turd sandwich or giant douche filled with **** and toxic waste?

but you can at least go through life without your fingers in your ear :)
Yes, that would be best. I heard and will not vote for a republican president so it's not impossible for others to take their fingers out.

And explain why a good economy boosts the incumbent and a bad one hurts them.
That's about people's wallets not about policy.

Good enough is pretty nebulous but let's tie it to the phrase "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

You can be good, but if you do nothing, you are not good enough.

How do you know if a person has done nothing. Short of being a politician or someone famous most people are not under such scrutiny.
Or do you just assume?

Good enough is pretty nebulous but let's tie it to the phrase "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

You can be good, but if you do nothing, you are not good enough.

Not that you said this, but your post got me thinking that many of us have a little slice of the world we are responsible for bettering. I think it is a little unfair that some expect others to:

1. Be completely informed about everything else out there;

2. Totally discount every good act a person does in one sphere if they either don't do what you feel they should in another; or

3. Kiss the ring. You aren't even allowed to disagree these days without being lumped into the worst categories available.

I did some good work for my little slice of the world today. I helped a few people today at work, and they helped me a great deal as well. I'm going to bed a stronger person than I woke up. Not every day goes this way, but I brought it today and I'm pleased with how it went.

But, I probably didnt do exactly what someone else thinks I should have, so I must just be a careless monster destroying humanity.

You only have 2 real choices, one is destroying the nation and planet, the other is not.
So what'll it be, turd sandwich or giant douche filled with **** and toxic waste?
Both parties are destroying the planet, one is like "oh yeah, we're gonna try not to do that and stuff" and the other is like "nu-uh, I didn't destroy that, it's a natural cycle".

Not that you said this, but your post got me thinking that many of us have a little slice of the world we are responsible for bettering. I think it is a little unfair that some expect others to:

1. Be completely informed about everything else out there;

2. Totally discount every good act a person does in one sphere if they either don't do what you feel they should in another; or

3. Kiss the ring. You aren't even allowed to disagree these days without being lumped into the worst categories available.

I did some good work for my little slice of the world today. I helped a few people today at work, and they helped me a great deal as well. I'm going to bed a stronger person than I woke up. Not every day goes this way, but I brought it today and I'm pleased with how it went.

But, I probably didnt do exactly what someone else thinks I should have, so I must just be a careless monster destroying humanity.

Since politics seems to be the main gist of this thread, here's an example, keeping in mind all of this is subjective. Tommy is a nice guy and donates spare change to the homeless, cans of food to shelters, and clothing to Goodwill. He also voted for the political party that slashed unemployment benefits and food stamps. He's good. He is not good enough.

Since politics seems to be the main gist of this thread, here's an example, keeping in mind all of this is subjective. Tommy is a nice guy and donates spare change to the homeless, cans of food to shelters, and clothing to Goodwill. He also voted for the political party that slashed unemployment benefits and food stamps. He's good. He is not good enough.

In my experience most conservatives are like this. They aren't personally nasty but their empathy extends only to those they come into contact with.

How do you know if a person has done nothing. Short of being a politician or someone famous most people are not under such scrutiny.
Or do you just assume?

Well, we know that most people have not done enough, because enough things are getting worse and not enough things are getting better.

While that sounds clever, it's just a generalization that you have made without any quantifiable definition or measure of success.
And even if people did as much as they could, that doesn't follow that it has to be enough.
Having said that, in general I agree but question how much should really be expected. More, but how much more.

The idea of "should" pretty much never works... on self or others.

You have to create the environment where "should" happens naturally.

That same party also preaches individualism. That same party also teaches self-reliance. That same party is protecting your right to rise up against them if they ever go too far, while the other party is hell-bent on ensuring that they (meaning the government they worship) and they alone will own all weaponry (better hope they're always perfect, eh? How's that going with Trump?). That same party defends free speech and is tolerant of other ideas, at least if you compare it to the average college campus when a conservative speaker shows up. That same party is full of people who have gone to the DMV and said dear God, man, these are not the folks you want running your healthcare.

In short the GOP brings a lot of good ideas to the table. They bring some awful ones too - that's why we need the Democrats as well to counteract everything, but those of you wishing for the GOP to fail are wishing for America to fail because you need us as much as we need you, even if you don't want to realize it. We just all need to do a better job of listening to other ideas, but I think liberals have really lost the ability to do this recently. The left (or at least the part that gets the press) seems exceptionally intolerant of diversity of thought, and as soon as they read that at least 4 or 5 people had an amygdala hijack and started preparing a retort "but, BUT [insert the absolute most destitute example they can come up with of the right doing something stupid/cruel that "justifies" their never being listened to about anything or respected ever again]." Just see the one line, child detention post above for a good example. I'm sure more on en route.

So I disagree with your premise that simply because I generally vote Republican, I'm not "good enough." I think we need the GOP and I like a lot of what they bring. I also think we need the Democrats and like a lot of what they bring too, so I appreciate you for being your own individual and voting for them if you do. I hope you can appreciate me too.

Well, we know that most people have not done enough, because enough things are getting worse and not enough things are getting better.

Things aren't getting worse. They're getting better every day. Some of you folks (and not necessarily you specifically) really need to stop telling others that they can't do things, or patting them on the back when they say they can't do things. You think you're being empathetic, and maybe you are, but you're also enabling that person to have a piss poor life. If you're really their friend, hold them accountable and help them get back on track.

I've heard people in this thread complain that they can't do things because they're different. They don't realize that they can do amazing things because they're unique. If you're unique, it means you're scarce. There is a place where that scarcity is valuable and you can set yourself up for a meteoric rise. So many people around here rail against corporations but are you in them? Do you have any idea how many of them are waking up to the value of diversity and are making it a major effort on their business plans? Just google "most diverse companies" and see what kind of places are talking about it (fortune, forbes, glassdoor, greatplacetowork, diversityinc, and businessinsider are all on the top page). Diversity is a big deal and I don't think some of you realize the opportunities you have out there. Some of your peers do, and they're living it up and setting themselves up for amazing success. The organization I work for has a business structure that is filled with women, people of color, people of all sexualities and other backgrounds, etc. It's absolutely amazing to get to work with these folks because they bring completely different backgrounds than me and combined, we do great things.

We'd love to have you once you stop seeing your uniqueness as a reason you can't succeed and start seeing it as another reason that you will, but the first step to that is holding yourself accountable for your own success. I can guarantee you when we interview you and ask you for an opportunity you have and what you've done to address it, if you can't answer that question authentically, you are not getting the job.

That same party also preaches individualism. That same party also teaches self-reliance. That same party is protecting your right to rise up against them if they ever go too far, while the other party is hell-bent on ensuring that they (meaning the government they worship) and they alone will own all weaponry (better hope they're always perfect, eh? How's that going with Trump?).
All lies.

Republicans don't believe in individual liberty: they believe in an authoritarian order of how you may live your life. You may marry only who they allow you to, and you don't have full rights over your own body. They don't believe in self-reliance, unless you're poor. They believe in bailing out the rich and leaving less fortunate to rot. They believe in exploitation of vulnerable people, and that all gains should go to the top. They're vampires.

Protecting your right to rise up against them is a total joke. Do you really believe your assault rifle is going to overpower the United States military? Make no mistake, if you oppose them they will crush you like a bug.

Please wake up and smell the cow pie you're eating.

Some of you folks (and not necessarily you specifically) really need to stop telling others that they can't do things, or patting them on the back when they say they can't do things. You think you're being empathetic, and maybe you are, but you're also enabling that person to have a piss poor life. If you're really their friend, hold them accountable and help them get back on track.
Word.

Its straight up mean tbh.

Top Bottom