Realism Invictus

Fortunately, I haven't had any CTD issues in my game. I'm in the year AD 1966 now, and many civs have been eliminated from the game.

RE: the GPU... have you considered going into the NVIDIA Control Panel and adding the CIV4BTS executable to the list so you can manually override some graphic settings?

Also, if you're running Windows, you can go into the Graphics settings to ensure that the executable is using the GPU and not the integrated graphics chip.
Quite a few civs have been eliminated from my game as well, but about 12 are still around (~6 major civs and 6 of the minor, non-playable factions).

Manually override which settings though?

I am running Windows and have disabled the integrated graphics / set the primary graphics output to PCI Express in the UEFI, however I've doubled checked and added the BtS.exe and the two manual choices were: optimized for performance: GeForce 1050Ti, or optimized for endurance: GeForce 1050Ti. So I'm pretty sure it's using the GeForce 1050Ti ;)

Quite a few civs have been eliminated from my game as well, but about 12 are still around (~6 major civs and 6 of the minor, non-playable factions).

Manually override which settings though?

I am running Windows and have disabled the integrated graphics / set the primary graphics output to PCI Express in the UEFI, however I've doubled checked and added the BtS.exe and the two manual choices were: optimized for performance: GeForce 1050Ti, or optimized for endurance: GeForce 1050Ti. So I'm pretty sure it's using the GeForce 1050Ti ;)
There should be an application called NVidia Control Panel in your start menu.

From there, you can go to the Manage 3D Settings task and it will bring up your global and program settings. If you click on the Program Settings tab you can see all the software that have predefined settings, plus you can ADD new ones, like the Civ4 Beyond The Sword executable. Once you add it, it will inherit the global settings and you can review and change some settings from, say, Best Quality to Best Performance, or vice versa, or something like that.

Anyway, it's something else to tweak...

There should be an application called NVidia Control Panel in your start menu.

From there, you can go to the Manage 3D Settings task and it will bring up your global and program settings. If you click on the Program Settings tab you can see all the software that have predefined settings, plus you can ADD new ones, like the Civ4 Beyond The Sword executable. Once you add it, it will inherit the global settings and you can review and change some settings from, say, Best Quality to Best Performance, or vice versa, or something like that.

Anyway, it's something else to tweak...
The NVidia control panel doesn't control that in Windows 11 or (iirc) the current version of Windows 10. Sinocpm is in the right place, and it's presumably not lying to him.

i don't know if it's the right place, but i have a bug. hit enter and it never gets to the following turn. Version 5382

Attachments

• Toyo san AD-1172.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
i don't know if it's the right place, but i have a bug. hit enter and it never gets to the following turn. Version 5382
one city on the world bugging whole game, make quicksave and go to world builder to check what town make it, and remove this city
alternative way: force a peace treaty using worldbuilder and always force game to make peace beetween two nations who involve conflict

In my current game I discovered something which I can not under stand.
Im standing in my City with a scirmisher. When i move to a grasland tile, I can go two tiles.
But when I go a grasland tile with a pasture and a worker working on a Street, he can go only 1 tile. Same when I go to a layer field. The skirmisher only can go one tile.

In my current game I discovered something which I can not under stand.
Im standing in my City with a scirmisher. When i move to a grasland tile, I can go two tiles.
But when I go a grasland tile with a pasture and a worker working on a Street, he can go only 1 tile. Same when I go to a layer field. The skirmisher only can go one tile.
May be because of river?

It could make sense IRL if you think about the interference to the troops movement from the pasture or the "work in progress" :lol:

Is there an easy way or guide to major units/spikes/changes for each civ? Civilopedia is well detailed but the layout means as a newbie it's a bit hard for me to tell at a glance when something is a skin or mirror replacement vs something unique I should actually play around. Same to a lesser degree for comparative stuff like wugu farms vs regular

Is there an easy way or guide to major units/spikes/changes for each civ? Civilopedia is well detailed but the layout means as a newbie it's a bit hard for me to tell at a glance when something is a skin or mirror replacement vs something unique I should actually play around. Same to a lesser degree for comparative stuff like wugu farms vs regular
I'd love to know if there was one as well. The way I go about it is that I just go to civilopedia and look up the unit itself and compare to the stock unit, but this isn't extremely time efficient. But then again, this mod isn't really supposed to be a time saver :lol:. It's slightly more work to compare if it is a national unit and not something a unique unit, as there is no base unit to compare it to. However, these puppies are usually strong enough to warrant one to play differently around anyway.

Unfortunately no, but that would be a pretty big undertaking considering that there are several thousand of these distinctive units, and some of them are almost UU good whereas others just have slight bonuses, so categorizing them beyond "no effect vs. some strategic difference all" would still leave ambiguity.

I just realized something unrelated though... why are you able to research early metalworking without toolmaking? I guess they just bite the ore out of the earth with their teeth? :lol:

It would be enough to name the genus of the unit.
Then it could look like this "special name of the unit" "axe fighter".

Lore question: I get the mobile trebuchet, but why is Mongolia's other NU an early grenadier and not a mounted unit? I can't even find any historical reference to the Mongols having those kinds of troops, other than "they occasionally used incendiaries".

Yeah imo you wouldn't even need an exhaustive list of the dudes that are something like the same but +10% to forest attack or whatever, but some sort of demarcation for the notable near-UU types which have significant bonuses (like goddamn the norse skirmishers are amazing for forest attacks) worth playing around would go a long way to being able to grasp a civ on pickup

Lore question: I get the mobile trebuchet, but why is Mongolia's other NU an early grenadier and not a mounted unit? I can't even find any historical reference to the Mongols having those kinds of troops, other than "they occasionally used incendiaries".
They didn't really use cavalry types that were particularly different from the ones available to every civ, so their generic cavalry units are just really good.
I think they get the unique grenadiers because they had gunpowder weapons before the more Europe-centric tech tree allows. Wikipedia has descriptions and archaeological evidence listed, which make quite a fun read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gunpowder#Use_by_the_Mongols

Spoiler my apologies, but I couldn't resist :

Also is there or would it be possible to get some sort of toggle or slider for the civ list? playing on huge maps with barb civs and rebels, there's quite a few dead civs clogging up the list now which is a feature I generally like but is getting somewhat excessive.

fake edit: yes I know you can turn that entire list on and off, but I'd still like the at-glance info for actually relevant civs without a quarter of my screen going to an obituary list

e. thanks!

Last edited:
Also is there or would it be possible to get some sort of toggle or slider for the civ list? playing on huge maps with barb civs and rebels, there's quite a few dead civs clogging up the list now which is a feature I generally like but is getting somewhat excessive.

fake edit: yes I know you can turn that entire list on and off, but I'd still like the at-glance info for actually relevant civs without a quarter of my screen going to an obituary list
briefcase button in the upper left corner
21d21d32d43f43f3.png

There is a setting in the BUG interface options that allows you to toggle off or on dead civilizations.

Top Bottom