Realism Invictus

Are you also using Graphic Paging option?
I tried turning it on, but that made it worse unfortunately :undecide:
At first I thought it was totally bugged, because after I turned it on everything except the bare terrain textures disappeared from the game (cities, improvements, units, etc). After moving the camera around a bit they started to appear though. So I played a bit with it turned on, however crashes were even more frequent than with it turned off, so I turned it back off.

My save game file is now at 6.944KB and I turned the graphic options all down to medium. This way I can play about 30? turns (with around 20sec loading time between turns) before I get another crash to desktop. Process Lasso running in the background of course.

You need theocracy, also it doesn't work on holy cities, iirc ?

It seemed to work for me, but I remember I struggled a bit to make it work at first :)
Theocracy? I thought militancy alone was enough. It's been so many years since I've played that I didn't remember that. I will check.

Theocracy? I thought militancy alone was enough. It's been so many years since I've played that I didn't remember that. I will check.
You do NOT need theocracy or any civic for inquisitors to work - in fact, I frequently build them on militancy and then switch over to something like civil religion before I use them. You do however need your state religion to be present in the city - I guess it isn't fair to burn the heretics until you teach them what they should be doing! Like missionaries, inquisitors have an annoying chance to fail and this do seem to auto-fail in holy cities.

Is the Pinch 2 promotion busted for anyone else in the current build? Arquebus correctly enables Pinch 1, but I can't seem to give anything Pinch 2 afterwards. Therefore Pinch 3 with Explosives also is unreachable.

Is the Pinch 2 promotion busted for anyone else in the current build? Arquebus correctly enables Pinch 1, but I can't seem to give anything Pinch 2 afterwards. Therefore Pinch 3 with Explosives also is unreachable.
Ignore this - I forgot that while Pinch 1 is available to recon and ranged mounted, Pinch 2 is much more restricted. Seems a bit of an odd choice but it is working as designed.

I finally finished my game (I restored a prior save and destroyed the third almost-legendary city) and won a cultural victory. I'm a little torn over the idea of destroying Influential almost-legendary cultural cities without global consequence (imagine destroying Mecca?). I wonder if there should be some kind of penalty for engaging in this tactic -- some kind of global outrage, trade embargo, international isolation (like with N. Korea)?

Anyway, I upgraded to 3.6 and started a new game with a giant map and 40 civs. Guess what? I started out on a small island with two other civs! I won't meet up with anyone for at least a millennia. I played a game like this before. I just wiped out the two other civs on the island, so all the resources are mine, such as they are. The good thing is that I can devote my entire civilization to research, since I don't have to worry about spying or militarization. The bad thing is that there aren't any other civs to leach technology from. Those civs are already building the wonders, so it's possible that another civ will get a cultural victory. On the other hand, the other civs will be involved in border wars that I won't be aware of, so that will slow down their progress, too.

So, I went to the technology tree to find the first tech that gets me an ocean-faring ship, and am now researching the tree until it gets me there. Meanwhile, I have an island to develop.

Shoutsout to this mod for making creating/releasing colonial vassals not only viable but possibly even optimal on larger maps/higher difficulties. Really enjoying how the various scaling penalties are making me have to think about expansion more than a mindless REX without making it so either tall or wide aren't viable

e: aaaaand I overfed my colonial vassal and now I have to put down revolts and give them tons of subsidies anyways. the system works!

Last edited:
Like missionaries, inquisitors have an annoying chance to fail and this do seem to auto-fail in holy cities.

I was able to purge an holy city, after a few tries (something like 4). Dunno if relevant, but it was a vassal of mine and I first paid him to adopt my religion.

Feudal aristocracy should not lower the cost of maintamence? after all, you pass on the cost of maintaining lands and cities to your vassals in return you protect them (thats how vassal states works)

chivalry originated from the doctrine of faithful service to one's senior even at the cost of one's life and also had its own internal rituals and ways of distinguishing the chivalrous state from merchants or rich peasants

"Thirdly, slavery could not thrive in Europe due to feudalism. Since the Vassals were under a Lord, they could not be sold as chattels. Thus, feudalism gave a terrible blow to the slavery system in Europe."

+1:c5happy: to happines per every civ with "Slavery" Doctrine ?
it give you a big boost when you take it and with times this bonus go down and down

"The glue that held feudalism together was the oath of fealty, or loyalty – in essence, a promise of faithful service to one’s higher-up in the feudal hierarchy. Fealty was itself impressed upon the participants with the help of religion. It was arranged through a formal ceremony called homage, reminding a man that divine retribution would come his way if he broke the oath."

small penalty to separatism? (like +5)

feudalism stopped working when both production and food production increased: the king could not keep an eye on every little prince who had an army and potentially plotted against him

One may wonder, however, whether the phrase of E. Perroy, quoted above, "mediocrity in stagnation," is altogether adequate to characterise western European society towards the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th centuries. The phrase certainly cannot be applied without risk of error to the whole of the 14th century, that epoch when society was rent, not only by warfare between states but by social conflicts on a scale hardly paralleled since the age of the Bagaudae. The revolts of maritime Flanders, of the Jacques in France, of the English peasants in 1381 and of the lower and middling strata in numerous Italian, French, Flemish, and English towns, are dramatic events which have to be situated in a climate of discontent which historians are only just beginning to study. The most interesting aspect of the major rebellions of the later middle ages is that they no longer simply expressed grievances against local oppression, they were becoming the expression of a revolt against the way society was organised. Whatever might be the differences between the risings of the French Jacques and the English peasants, they had this in common: a manifest hatred of the officials of the State, rather than of those of the manor or seigneurie who had been the traditional objects of peasant discontent. And, of course, even if lords became less involved in manorial production, they still had to cope with the problem of falling revenues. War and pillage were still among the measures used in their attempt to solve the problem but it was the State which organised war and raised the money needed to pay for it. State taxation was added therefore to the burden of rent owed by the peasant and urban taxes bore down on the petty artisans and wage workers of the towns.

I personally never use feudal aristocracy and it would be like more realistic to give better balance for civs, not only for these who are aggresive and choose this form of legalism because it give you additional units to war
-10% maintanence and +5 separatism sounds good, especially for kingdoms who are large in land but small in population (Like medival Russia)

Last edited:
I encountered this really weird bug yesterday in my game, where I selected a unit to be produced in a city (medium tank), expected build time 1 turn, but in the next turn instead of one tank, 139 units suddenly were waiting in the city!?! All fresh off the assembly line, waiting for their promotions and everything... what gives?

I had a couple (maybe 10 or so) units of that type before in my game already, however I had upgraded them from modern cavalry and therefore they had the "born in the saddle" special promotion. However I wanted them to get the new promotions for armored units I had recently unlocked, so I disbanded them all. Then I selected to build a new unit in said city, and only in that city. With the aformentioned outcome.
I mean it's not game breaking or anything, I just disbanded 129 tanks and kept the 10 tanks I was going to build anyways, and I wasn't in the middle of a war so I don't think I gave myself too much of an unfair advantage versus the A.I.

Any ideas what caused this?

I encountered this really weird bug yesterday in my game, where I selected a unit to be produced in a city (medium tank), expected build time 1 turn, but in the next turn instead of one tank, 139 units suddenly were waiting in the city!?! All fresh off the assembly line, waiting for their promotions and everything... what gives?

I had a couple (maybe 10 or so) units of that type before in my game already, however I had upgraded them from modern cavalry and therefore they had the "born in the saddle" special promotion. However I wanted them to get the new promotions for armored units I had recently unlocked, so I disbanded them all. Then I selected to build a new unit in said city, and only in that city. With the aformentioned outcome.
I mean it's not game breaking or anything, I just disbanded 129 tanks and kept the 10 tanks I was going to build anyways, and I wasn't in the middle of a war so I don't think I gave myself too much of an unfair advantage versus the A.I.

Any ideas what caused this?
I have a guess. If your production output is enough to build multiple of a unit, you get multiple (I see this a lot when I have excess production from the last thing I built there and I'm building something cheap like a work boat). Because you disbanded all the tanks, you'd have drastically reduced the cost of building more. If the cost scaling doesn't take into account building multiple units at a time, that could possibly cause the scaling to be ignored and lead to tons being built at once.
139 seems extraordinary, though. I'd be surprised if you had enough production to build 139 tanks in one go even without scaling.

126% of population
(Barbarians turn into semi-civilisation)

Screenshot_8.jpg

Another weird thing in my current game: I conquered a Mongolian city centuries ago, their civilization still exists as a vassel with one or two cities far from this city in question here, I have been at peace with them for centuries.
However the weird thing is: every unit of mine in this city gets the "fear" special promotion, meaning one less first strike. As soon as I move a unit out of the city they lose that promotion and are back to normal. Any idea why? There are no enemy units anywhere close to nearby, in fact I'm not at war with anybody.

Does anyone out there know the meaning of each seed in the totestra map script?
I looked on the internet and in the MOD folders and didn't find any explanation.

Can I ask strategy questions and tips for RI here or is there a better place for that specific topic? Having trouble surviving passed Renaissance era on Monarch.

Sure - there are not all that many of us left, so this is certainly the place where your question will be first noticed, for very specific questions you could start a thread here :

You might have to be a bit more specific though, even here :)

Top Bottom