Recent Idiot moves you've made

I had just captured a coastal city and my invasion fleet was rather dinged up. So I put them into that coastal city to heal up, while my Tank-and-Cavalry army headed out towards the Byzantine capital.

You guessed it, Justin Ian sent a small stack of horse units (Cataphracts? Cavalry?) at my coastal foothold, which was only defended by the wounded Marine that captured it. And retook it, making 6 transports and 3 Blitz Destroyers vanish. :shake:

i had workshops around my capital early to boost production and i forgot the replace them with cottages when i needed more money and science.

I started out alone on a continent, rushed Tech to astronomy/rifling then went off to hunt, found Sitting Bull on another continent, set about him with the cutlery a-glinting, discovered he shared Hinduism with EVERY other Civ in the game (I was Islam) and found myself at war with the whole world by about 5 turns later!

That was a peace and love game alright.

wondered why a city didn't grow for 90% of the game even though it had good food and then noticed i'd accidentally left the city governor on "avoid growth"

all the time! :( :lol:

My best one came from playing on a weekend. I'd had a few beers & a few smokes by this point. I was in the late game & doing pretty well. I had one major power left to fight against & they were fairly equal to me. But I had been saving cash like madman so that I could upgrade my large army - I would then be born again hard and could go on a rampage. I was just waiting for the last requisite military tech to roll round, then I'd spend my huge gold pile & away I'd go on overseas deployment. On the last turn before my spending spree I thought I'd do some trading with my enemy to be. I saw I had a non-threatening tech that he didn't & decided to see if he'd give me all his money for it. Surprisingly he went for it & it was not insignificant. In fact, I'd pretty much doubled my money! 'NICE!', I exclaimed. That's wrapped it up, I'm farkin loaded! How can I lose?! It was only the next turn when I went to do my upgrade that I found that my weakened mind had mixed up the sides on the trading screen. I had given all my gold to my main opponent

My most recent ALmost Idiot Move was when I almost posted here to ask how to choose a Leader in a Custom Game. (Never used it before :p ) I knew I would feel silly if I did, though, so I hesitated and went back to the screen... and figured it out for myself lol

-Misclicking my great priest and lightbulbing polytheism

Always happens to me, whenever im setting myself up for a Theology-Paper-Education-Liberalism route, i misclick my GP and get free meditation, woohoo.

great thread..

I have done so many of these, especially the CRIII axemen to machinegun upgrade..

In a previous game I had my capital city which was the financial and industrial core of my empire captured by a rogue horse archer while I finished off the last of that civs cities.. I only had one regular archer in the city.. note to self: keep a few defenders in an important city

I'd just settled a new city at the center of a freak square of 9 hills (fractal map). A river on either side, grasslands, flood plain, corn. Copper in the top left corner hill. Awesome production city. Playing Napoleon of Sumeria (cheap courthouses at Priesthood? Thanks!), I'd built a ziggurat and a library (border pop and classic literature quest) in the city, had it defended by one archer and one warrior. A barbarian warrior starts menacing, and since I'm building Vultures in my capital to hit Asoka, I decide I'd better be proactive about him before he pillages my copper. I send my archer at him, and the archer gets smoked. I then figure I can take him out with my warrior at a 94% chance. Nope. Next turn, the barbarian razes my empty city. In my bid to save the copper mine, I lost it and the city.

Happy ending: I took out Asoka a few turns later, captured the Great Wall, and rebuilt the city :D

Early game, my science city has a lone Axeman defending it when along strolls a simpleton Barb Warrior to my city walls. I think, great, easy chance for some xp's. So I click on my axeman intending to attack, but accidently hit the auto-explore button and my axeman takes off in the opposite direction. And apparently, before he left, he rolled out a red carpet. :mad:

Early game, my science city has a lone Axeman defending it when along strolls a simpleton Barb Warrior to my city walls. I think, great, easy chance for some xp's. So I click on my axeman intending to attack, but accidently hit the auto-explore button and my axeman takes off in the opposite direction. And apparently, before he left, he rolled out a red carpet. :mad:

I've made plentyful of idiotic moves in my games. The last one is the one i recall right now. Last night I went for my first OCC game ever. My first tiny error may have been in choosing to play the Americans and Roosevelt, a late UU and UB didn't really help my case.

Anyway, I set things up nicely for a diplo win I hoped, though even on a small pangea map with a crowding 7 civs my pop never really made me much of a contender. I did however build the AP and everything went smoothly, all exept two backwards civs went with my religion, I was tied in techlead with my worst opponent and neightbour, Zara yacobi (spell?). I was on good relations with nr 2 and 3 on the charts and decent enough most of the others so I managed to pull in some votes to once in a while get the upper hand on Zara in the election for AP controller.

But, then I did my tiny error no 1. I saw Pericles (nr 2) change to free religion, a few others did the same and I thought, well, that'd would benefit me more right now as I had a bunch of religions in my only city so I went for the change. A few turns later everyone but Zara, Pacal and wang kon (totally backwards and of a different religion) had changed to free religion. Though this may have not been a decisive factor it must've helped.

My next tiny error was that I figured I should get rid of Wang kon, which was my next neighbour and he constantly spammed me with annoying spies. He had macemen to my infantry so I figured I could walk right over his last three cities. I figured he was the outsider and that noone liked him enough to bother if I declared war on him. Somehow I was wrong, next instance I saw I had lost a diplopoint with Pacal which made him vote for Zara in the vote for diplo victory and one turn later Zara got the win by just claiming enough points for the win, needed was 335 or something and he got exactly that number of votes. He hadn't even been close in previous attempts.

Well, needles to say I quit my first attempt on OCC there. I will most certainly give it another go as it was quite a fun and quick game. Though I may think through choice of ruler and my goal alot more thoroughly next time...

most idiot move ever:

playing a huge marathon game with 18 civs, it is 1996 AD, I am comfortably tech-leading, pop-leading, GNP-leading my way to a cozy space-race win.

Mistake: play late at night, extremely tired, on a train.

Result: fell asleep, laptop out of power, no savegame (last save is 1000AD)

:mad:

most idiot move ever:

playing a huge marathon game with 18 civs, it is 1996 AD, I am comfortably tech-leading, pop-leading, GNP-leading my way to a cozy space-race win.

Mistake: play late at night, extremely tired, on a train.

Result: fell asleep, laptop out of power, no savegame (last save is 1000AD)

:mad:

Load autosave, you will only lose 3-4 turns max.

In fact, if you edit the *.ini file, you can set it to save every turn! (And even to retain all of the saves)

Top Bottom